News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.

"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

And? I'm not saying Magic is a good exec.
My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.

This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.

From everything we've seen so far, Magic is going for the homerun, not a double.

Everyone knows what he is going for. The problem is he is probably going to get the Lakers a double while tearing the ACL of the franchise in the process desperately reaching for it. That's what worries me. Trading everything for Davis, signing a guy like Cousins to the max, and whatever other terrible move he can come up wtih.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Magic Johnson... the Dave Kingman of GMs/Team Presidents...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.

Certainly, but a lot more will forgive them. As Lebron said, it is a results oriented league and right now Magic is only getting negative results.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Magic Johnson is my favorite player of all time... think he's better than Jordan.

But that doesn't mean I have to support his bad talk show or terrible team president performance or have him perform brain surgery on me.

If he backs off the AD or bust train and publicly admits he was wrong to destroy the team chemistry... then sure, I'll give him a second chance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
He signed prime Lebron though.

Who did?
According to many last summer, Magic did.

Prime Lebron was in 2016.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Pity party
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

SAS blames it on management.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
He signed prime Lebron though.

Who did?
According to many last summer, Magic did.

Prime Lebron was in 2016.
Yeah. I was being sarcastic.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
Everyone knows what he is going for. The problem is he is probably going to get the Lakers a double while tearing the ACL of the franchise in the process desperately reaching for it. That's what worries me. Trading everything for Davis, signing a guy like Cousins to the max, and whatever other terrible move he can come up wtih.

This is what worries me, too. In essence, history would be repeating itself.

But I hope that Magic will prove me wrong. I don't have some masochistic desire to see the team wrecked just to prove that Magic's plan was bad.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

You're only as good as your recent actions.

People hated jim/mitch for the moz/deng signings despite playing a role in 2 titles.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SAS blames it on management.

As much as I hate SAS, the man is spot-freakin-on.

No way to sugarcoat this crap of a season.

Yes, I get it, injuries happen but what a crappy roster around Lebron. As much as I am not a Randle lover like some here, he would have contributed a lot more and been there throughout the season, more than KCP and Rondo.

Letting Zu go was the icing on the cake. I hate that trade and no one here can convince me otherwise. Hate it, hate it, hate it. No reason for it.

Whoever is "winging it" in the FO, be it Magic, Pelinka, Buss kids, etc., time to bring in some real experienced people. I would try and bring in Jerry West and other basketball minds. Then I think you need to replace Luke, or at best, his assistants, and put a roster together with shooters, rim protectors and rebounders. Period.

I was at the game with my family last night, and you know what I noticed? Denver has no real big household names, but you know what they have that we don't? They are well coached, good rotations, they have shooters, passers and rebounders. No big star....and here they are in the 2nd spot in the West.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

Where the hell is Magic? What rock is he hiding behind? He deserves the chance to see his plan through but some accountability would be nice.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

When KG and Pierce went to the Nets was it worth it?
If they won not multiple but one chip would it be worth it?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.

"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.

I agree he should get this summer, even though the he brought in LBJ argument might be backward. Even if he does though, the concern is that the other stuff that is needed is thus far lacking.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
55 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.

From everything we've seen so far, Magic is going for the homerun, not a double.

To be fair, you came up with those 2 horrible moves on your own. No one really knows what he offered for AD, and he hasn't signed Cousins to the max either. He didn't even sign Cousins this year for cheap when he could have, so maybe we should wait till an actual trade/signing happens before we attack him?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Magic still have one chance of making it right next summer
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Magic and Pelinka are just as bad as Jim
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
MustardJam wrote:

This is what worries me, too. In essence, history would be repeating itself.

But I hope that Magic will prove me wrong. I don't have some masochistic desire to see the team wrecked just to prove that Magic's plan was bad.

This season has been bad, but it's within the range of what I expected after the free agent signings. I thought we'd be a bubble playoff team that could finish anywhere between 6 and 10th, depending on injuries and the development of the young guys.

I always saw this as a placeholder season, and next offseason is what would matter.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject:

What do these guys have in common?

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas

I give up, what?
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas

1) Great Backcourt Players
2) Played in the 80s
3) Champions
4) Involved in some of the most iconic moments in NBA history
5) Rich
6) American

Oh and not good in the F.O.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas

NBA players that were terrible in front office roles?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

Yeah I agree. I use those two interchangeably but you're right, Khris Middleton and Tobias Harris don't get it done.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas

At least they are great NBA players. What is Rob pelinka's resume?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 8 of 126
Jump to: