The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Watched Roma last night. Visually it was excellent, although I thought in some instances that color would have made the scenes stand out more or add to the 70's era. Overall a touching story.

What was your favorite scene?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

With Christian Petzold's Transit hitting theatres in the US, I recommend seeing Barbara and his masterpiece Phoenix if you can (both on MUBI.com). The man is a master of super subtle genre.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Watched Roma last night. Visually it was excellent, although I thought in some instances that color would have made the scenes stand out more or add to the 70's era. Overall a touching story.

Honestly, I liked the opening scene, where we're looking at the tile, water moving over it (is it the ocean, is it soapy water from a cleaning maid?), the reflection of a window frame showing a plane leaving for someplace else. That court yard/driveway is where all the crap takes place in that house; from the dog's to the whatever emotional crap the parents bring home.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Honestly, I liked the opening scene, where we're looking at the tile, water moving over it (is it the ocean, is it soapy water from a cleaning maid?), the reflection of a window frame showing a plane leaving for someplace else. That court yard/driveway is where all the crap takes place in that house; from the dog's to the whatever emotional crap the parents bring home.

That opening shot is a stunner.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

That opening shot is a stunner.

Agreed, it's a truly elegant way to introduce and encapsulate the film. I also loved the Fellini homage at the dinner party/fire sequence.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Italian provocateur Pier Paolo Pasolini was born this day in 1922. To commemorate it, I bought his Saló from Criterion (which is having a 24 hour half-off flash sale today: Link)

Saló was Pasolini's last film before he was murdered in 1975. Here's a translation of what had been the long lost final Pasolini interview three days before his death with a Swedish radio station to promote Saló: Mubi
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

With Chilean director Sebastián Lelio's Gloria Bell (starring Julianne Moore) hitting select theaters this Friday I recommend watching his first English language film, Disobedience, now streaming on Amazon Prime. It's also worth tracking down his back catalogue especially Navidad, A Fantastic Woman, and the original Gloria.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Wesley Morris was on The Daily this morning discussing Green Book. Well worth a listen.

This Green Book end credits song sums up the film perfectly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Wesley Morris was on The Daily this morning discussing Green Book. Well worth a listen.

This Green Book end credits song sums up the film perfectly.

This made me laugh out loud in my office at an embarrassing volume.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

The best films were made in the 70's. However, 1997 - 2007 is, imho, the greatest decade in the history of film.

I'll take your answers off air.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
The best films were made in the 70's. However, 1997 - 2007 is, imho, the greatest decade in the history of film.

I don't know that I agree, but watch A Clockwork Orange on Netflix now for one of the truly great, truly surreal, truly timelessly vicious films ever made.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

I don't know that I agree, but watch A Clockwork Orange on Netflix now for one of the truly great, truly surreal, truly timelessly vicious films ever made.

Both Godfather flicks were in the 70's, of course.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Deer Hunter, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, every Hal Ashby and Robert Altman flick...

It's my favorite film decade without even having to leave American soil.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Deer Hunter, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, every Hal Ashby and Robert Altman flick...

And this might be cheating, but these four films were released in 1980, meaning that they were probably shot in 1979:

The Shining
Raging Bull
Caddyshack
Airplane
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

And this might be cheating, but these four films were released in 1980, meaning that they were probably shot in 1979:

The Shining
Raging Bull
Caddyshack
Airplane

There was definitely a sweet spot of American cinema that started in the late 60's with films like Easy Rider and spanned a dozen or so years.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

^
Yeah. For example, if you watch Caddyshack, it doesn't feel like an 80's film at all. It feels almost like a counter-culture film, still.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

There was definitely a sweet spot of American cinema that started in the late 60's with films like Easy Rider and spanned a dozen or so years.

Oh, I GOT a helmet...

Plluhluluhluh-OOON-tang...

There's a poster who thinks the scene below is a stereotype of Southerners. "Another one of elitist Hollywood's attacks on the south. Were any of these three actors real "bikers'? What a laugh. Peter Fonda a biker? Coupled with Deliverance, Hollywood found a new group to mock and make fun of. Another one of elitist Hollywood's attacks on the south. Were any of these three actors real "bikers'? What a laugh. Peter Fonda a biker? Coupled with Deliverance, Hollywood found a new group to mock and make fun of."

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Oh, I GOT a helmet...

There's a poster who thinks the scene below is a stereotype of Southerners. "Another one of elitist Hollywood's attacks on the south. Were any of these three actors real "bikers'? What a laugh. Peter Fonda a biker? Coupled with Deliverance, Hollywood found a new group to mock and make fun of. Another one of elitist Hollywood's attacks on the south. Were any of these three actors real "bikers'? What a laugh. Peter Fonda a biker? Coupled with Deliverance, Hollywood found a new group to mock and make fun of."

I have to admit those scenes from those movies kept me out of the south in the mid 70's when i had long hair
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

What Hitchcock movies have you not seen that you'd most want to see?

I actually haven't seen Notorious yet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Oh, I GOT a helmet...

I have to admit those scenes from those movies kept me out of the south in the mid 70's when i had long hair

If that wasn't enough, the "squeal like a pig" scene from Deliverance would certainly make one never go near the South in a lifetime.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

The book, Deliverance, was written by James Dickey professor emeritus of English literature at the University of South Carolina. It was a fairly short book like 250 pages but it took him year's to finish. I am thinking like 20 years. I can imagine it was tuned and honed meticulously. The movie was shot in Tallulah Gorge in North Georgia a lovely spot. I lived there in the 60s and 70s just like everything else in film it was extremely exagerrated.

Edit: Didn't live in Tallulan Gorge but in Georgia, to be clear.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The book, Deliverance, was written by James Dickey professor emeritus of English literature at the University of South Carolina. It was a fairly short book like 250 pages but it took him year's to finish. I am thinking like 20 years. I can imagine it was tuned and honed meticulously. The movie was shot in Tallulah Gorge in North Georgia a lovely spot. I lived there in the 60s and 70s just like everything else in film it was extremely exagerrated.

Edit: Didn't live in Tallulan Gorge but in Georgia, to be clear.

Obviously, but that doesn't make the content any less unsettling.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Continuing the 70s theme from earlier and touching on Deliverance, it's impressive how many (bleep) up highly regarded movies came out in that decade. I started re-watching A Clockwork Orange since it's streaming on Netflix and I haven't seen it in 15+ years, and boy howdy! that movie is grotesque.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Continuing the 70s theme from earlier and touching on Deliverance, it's impressive how many (bleep) up highly regarded movies came out in that decade. I started re-watching A Clockwork Orange since it's streaming on Netflix and I haven't seen it in 15+ years, and boy howdy! that movie is grotesque.

Definitely a disturbing film for sure. And I believe I saw they are doing a theatrical rerelease this year.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Definitely a disturbing film for sure. And I believe I saw they are doing a theatrical rerelease this year.

My favorite scenes in there are outside of the river sequences. I obviously enjoyed the dueling banjos scene, but the entire beginning including Burt paying for the cars and saying, "Fifty, my ass..." to the indigenous folk, to the trepidation of tenderfoot Voigt. Also, Burt's determination to find the river by himself with no help and the Suthern bways driving alongside him calling him a cityslicker. Also, an overlooked scene at the end when Voigt and Beatty were at the dinner table at the inn and Voigt breaks down and cries at the return to the normalcy around him at the table. He knew he was back to civilization. That scene has been copied various times since, one example being young Nucky Thompson crying at the table of a functional family because he was overwhelmed at the new experience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 10 of 189
Jump to: