NCAA Loses Another Antitrust Case, at Least in Part

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: NCAA Loses Another Antitrust Case, at Least in Part

Quote:
A judge ruled against the NCAA on Friday night in a federal antitrust lawsuit, saying football and basketball players should be permitted to receive more compensation from schools but only if the benefits are tied to education.

The ruling Friday night from U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken in Oakland, California, said the NCAA cannot "limit compensation or benefits related to education.'' That means more scholarship money to pursue postgraduate degrees or finish undergraduate degrees, and items that could be considered school supplies such as computers.

The plaintiffs in the so-called Alston cases were seeking much more. Plaintiffs had asked the judge to lift all NCAA caps on compensation and to allow schools to provide benefits beyond a scholarship to college athletes. The goal was to create a free market, where conferences set rules for compensating athletes, but this ruling still allows the NCAA to prohibit cash compensation untethered to education-related expenses.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26199067/judge-rules-ncaa-antitrust-lawsuit

The antitrust laws are not an ideal vehicle for challenging the NCAA's amateurism rules. Just the same, the winds of change are blowing, and this is another gust.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I was creating a thread at the same time! I deleted, and just copied my comments below.....

this is the big case that has had the NCAA holding its breath. Alston (the plaintiffs) were suing to create more of a free market or pro system in college, allowing colleges to compensate athletes more than just their tuition, room and board, etc. Alston hopes to allow colleges to basically place cash in the hands of athletes to compensate them for playing the sport. While the court agreed with Alston that schools should be allowed to provide more, it limits it to education related compensation. It will now go to the 9th Circuit on appeal. I think this is a much bigger case than most people are aware of, or even know is currently in the system. It's final outcome will either keep college athletics basically the same....or literally blow up the current model.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

The Ninth Circuit decision in O’Bannon pretty much dictated this result. The courts aren’t going to use the antitrust laws to radically reform the NCAA. That’s the right approach in my opinion, much as I dislike the NCAA’s amateurism rules.

However, I’m surprised you didn’t have anything to say about Shawne Alston. Montani semiper liberi.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: