Offseason Grades: How Do You Grade the Lakers' Draft and New Free Agents?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the Overall Grade You Would Give the Lakers' Offseason?
A+ (Holy Crap... How Did We Pull This Off?)
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
A or A- (Really Exceeded My Expectations)
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
B+ or B (Overall Pleasantly Surprised)
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
B- or C+ (About What I Expected, Give or Take)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
C (Okay I Guess, But Wish We Could Have Done Better)
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
C- or D+ (Below Expectations)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D or below (Fail)
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

A

For those saying we could've picked up better pieces, I ask who? The pieces we picked up forms an identity that random pieces wouldn't. These are tough, physical guys who play hard and give effort on D. Oh maybe PG13? Nah, he made up his mind before Free Agency even started. It's not like we had a meeting and blew it.
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
A

For those saying we could've picked up better pieces, I ask who? The pieces we picked up forms an identity that random pieces wouldn't. These are tough, physical guys who play hard and give effort on D. Oh maybe PG13? Nah, he made up his mind before Free Agency even started. It's not like we had a meeting and blew it.

Agreed. I don't see how PG can even be figured into anyone's grading since we were never given a chance to sign him this off-season. He didn't give us a meeting, end of story.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

LeBron A+ (4.3) Self Explanitory
Svi A (4) @ #47, he's a steal.
KCP B+ (3.3) @ $12M, great value for a "3-D" guy.
Rondo B+ (3.3) Got ourselves a great floor general for $9m.
McGee B (3) Got a big fella who can run the floor, get lobs and protect the paint
Beasley B (3) Great price for a guy who can drop 20+ any given night off the bench.
Wagner B (3) His passion and heart + floor stretching ability is gonna be great for us.
Lance C+ (2.3) I actually like the Lance pickup. Hasn't played well anytime outside of Indiana, but yet to be seen in LA.
Bonga D (1) Project pick, but there were a few better players available. D score just for potential.

Solid Overall B off-season.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

The move adding LeBron probably represented about 15 game increase in wins if he stays healthy all year, all by itself. A go-to scorer of the highest order.

Let's remember, this team won just 35 games last season, and there's no second all-NBA guy lacing up sneaks for us this Winter. Those wins do come at some cost: huge contract and long commitment, with added risk for us for such an old player. No other additions this Summer move the needle for me at all.

B+ in subject matter
A for effort
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
A

For those saying we could've picked up better pieces, I ask who?

The critics never offer specifics. Of course, they can't, because the bottom line is, none of us actually know what alternatives were possible. I trust Rob and Magic did the best they could with what was available, even if I'm not personally ecstatic about all the signings (really only Lance).
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Getting LeBron makes it an A+.

Other than losing Randle, the other pieces are on 1 year deals and they all have talent so they did good in FA by not mortgaging the future by longer deals or getting rid of the young core. I really wish Randle bet on himself by taking the QO and a chance to win a ring while being a big part of it and learning from a guy like LBJ but oh well. Did what he thought he had to do. Good luck in NO.

Also looks like we got 2 future rotation players later in the draft. That's all you can really ask for after the lottery imo. You just hope you hit a Butler, Ginobili, T Parker, or Kuzma! etc..

But really LeBron becoming a Laker=A+.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
A

For those saying we could've picked up better pieces, I ask who?

The critics never offer specifics. Of course, they can't, because the bottom line is, none of us actually know what alternatives were possible. I trust Rob and Magic did the best they could with what was available, even if I'm not personally ecstatic about all the signings (really only Lance).

That argument swings both ways, actually. Folks who praise the moves - or trust that the moves were the best possible with what was available - simply will never know. Folks outside the Laker FO do not know what was possible, what was deemed impractical or even tested, what was impossible or even explored to the fullest extent either.
JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

Overall, an "A."
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

I think the signing of LeBron James as a Laker pretty much overshadows all else in how I would weight the grade. We still have cap space next year as well. A+ on the Max Free agent portion of the grade, and if I were assigning a letter grade to the FO this would take most of the weighting.

Other free agents? At first I was not fond of the free agent pickups, although having thought it through, Rondo makes a LOT of sense, and so does Beasley, Javale McGee isn't a bad pickup for 20 mpg or so, the only real problem I have is Lance Stephenson when we could have retained Lopez. But these are all one year contracts. Little risk in the long run. C+, and low weighting on the overall grade.

Draft picks? We had late picks in the first place. 25th isn't exactly a top tier pick. Mo Wagner shows decent potential for a 25 pick, Bonga appears to be a waste of a pick but it's early, and SVI looks like an absolute steal at this stage. All in all, a decent draft. B. Again, low weighting.

Overall grade: A-.
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

They added some good tough players, added experience also. Not great players but to be honest I think if they had gotten better players some would be complaining that they would be taking too many mins away from Kuz, Ball, Ingram & Hart. I’m hopeful that they will develop into stars myself.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

Overall A

I'm thrilled.

But if we're going to play hindsight here: the only thing I would have done differently: sign Boogie and G Green instead of Beasley and Lance. Green I think is just a better fit on the court. Boogie is way too talented of a C not to pick up for $5.3MM. Best case, he returns close to form and is our starting center at 28-30 mins a game in the playoffs. Worst case, we have the same rotation as we do today.

However, I'm sure they had their reasons for not getting Boogie and Lance versus Green is debatable so we got the best player in the NBA, had a good draft, added tough vets on one year deals and will (potentially) have more than max space next summer for Kawhi, Klay, KD, Butler, Cousins, Kemba, Middleton, etc.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grades for Draft and Free Agent Players

diando wrote:
You guys know how I felt about this free agency, I think signing LeBron doesn't get us past the Warriors and that it'll slow the development of our young core. I do hope that for the sake of the Lakers, I'm wrong.

Draft Players

1. Wagner - B
2. Svi - A+
3. Bonga - B

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - B- (Campaigned a whole year for the Lakers not to get him and I got Trump'd. However, I'm looking forward to see if he really plays more off ball and sets the necessary off ball screens to get his team mates open. Still the second best player in the world in my opinion, but at age 34 in a 2019 playoff run, this is the best grade I'll give. The age already shows on defense.)
2. KCP (resign) C+ - Related to Paul George
3. Rondo - C - not the best fit for this team currently with or without LeBron.
4. Stephenson - D - No, just no.
5. McGee - A+ - Best pick up to me, but would have been better starting on the bench.
6. Beasley - B - his interview with Durant changed my perception of him. However, he plays no defense.

Misc
1. Getting rid of Julius - F - should have kept him
2. Get rid of Brook - D - could have easily kept him for cheap
3. Not getting PG - F - I envisioned a fast, young, defensive minded line-up with excellent jump shooting who can compete after the Warriors dynasty end in 3 years.

Sadly, I'm being proven right at the moment.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
C+

We signed Lebron, but otherwise kicked the can down the street for a year. If we had retained the old roster (Randle, Lopez, KCP), I would have expected us to contend for the playoffs this year. This roster should do a little bit better than that, but we are dependent on Lebron's health and the chemistry of a freak show including McGee, Stephenson, and Rondo. I see people talking about our depth, but we have no big men at the replacement level, two point guards with the same flaws, and a dearth of shooters. In order to have a really good season, we need Ingram or Ball to blossom, but that's no change from where we were before the moves.

I had forgotten this. Another poster called this "The worst post of the decade."
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Grades for Draft and Free Agent Players

diando wrote:
diando wrote:
You guys know how I felt about this free agency, I think signing LeBron doesn't get us past the Warriors and that it'll slow the development of our young core. I do hope that for the sake of the Lakers, I'm wrong.

Draft Players

1. Wagner - B
2. Svi - A+
3. Bonga - B

Free Agent Players

1. Lebron - B- (Campaigned a whole year for the Lakers not to get him and I got Trump'd. However, I'm looking forward to see if he really plays more off ball and sets the necessary off ball screens to get his team mates open. Still the second best player in the world in my opinion, but at age 34 in a 2019 playoff run, this is the best grade I'll give. The age already shows on defense.)
2. KCP (resign) C+ - Related to Paul George
3. Rondo - C - not the best fit for this team currently with or without LeBron.
4. Stephenson - D - No, just no.
5. McGee - A+ - Best pick up to me, but would have been better starting on the bench.
6. Beasley - B - his interview with Durant changed my perception of him. However, he plays no defense.

Misc
1. Getting rid of Julius - F - should have kept him
2. Get rid of Brook - D - could have easily kept him for cheap
3. Not getting PG - F - I envisioned a fast, young, defensive minded line-up with excellent jump shooting who can compete after the Warriors dynasty end in 3 years.

Sadly, I'm being proven right at the moment.

Outside of maybe Beasley, you crushed it!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
C+

We signed Lebron, but otherwise kicked the can down the street for a year. If we had retained the old roster (Randle, Lopez, KCP), I would have expected us to contend for the playoffs this year. This roster should do a little bit better than that, but we are dependent on Lebron's health and the chemistry of a freak show including McGee, Stephenson, and Rondo. I see people talking about our depth, but we have no big men at the replacement level, two point guards with the same flaws, and a dearth of shooters. In order to have a really good season, we need Ingram or Ball to blossom, but that's no change from where we were before the moves.

I had forgotten this. Another poster called this "The worst post of the decade."

Was it me?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

^^^^

No.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

No.

Shucks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: