Tanking and Drafting For The Lakers - What's The Point?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
governator wrote:
CBA changed the game

We def tank post Kobe Achilles and we certainly didn’t tank this year but now since we’re pretty much out of the playoff contention, you guys don’t think we should get best possible pick (I mean a higher chance of it)?

Didn't change the game for the teams that improved...

Teams that got ahead of the changes. Jerry Buss was good at that.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
governator wrote:
CBA changed the game

We def tank post Kobe Achilles and we certainly didn’t tank this year but now since we’re pretty much out of the playoff contention, you guys don’t think we should get best possible pick (I mean a higher chance of it)?

Teams that got ahead of the changes. Jerry Buss was good at that.

I don't think they got ahead. It was always the same philosophy. Draft well.
Develop. Compete. System in order. Be opportunistic with free agency.
The Lakers used to be the bar for that.

Outside of the draft, they aren't anymore.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Tanking can means getting to select Embiid instead of Randle, Towns instead of DLo, etc

Let's say we got embiid instead of Randle. We would be calling him a bust and asking to trade him because he had been injured for 2 seasons. We probably would want Randle instead because of how good he would have been playing on another team; like "we should have drafted Julius Randle." I see it all the time, we admire what we don't have and don't value what we do.

That has nothing to do with tanking, it simply to increase your chance at lower pick ping pong ball

It has to do with my question - What is the point of "tanking," getting a NBA prospect, just for y'all to wanna trade them? We have gotten Zo, DLO, BI, Randle, Zu, Kuz, etc... All of them are good prospects, but all of them y'all have requested to be traded.

Who's "y'all"?

Everyone?
Some posters?

It was more generally stated, nobody in particular, but I have seen a lot of posters on this forum wanna tank, just to wanna trade the players we get in the draft. The grass is greener logic. We keep undervaluing our own and lose faith entirely too soon. They are young and people want them to be Kobe and magic right away, without any type of development (or minimal development); Even though both Kobe and magic had time to develop.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

Hindsight 20/20 and all...it's easy to say now that DLO and Randle should have been retained for the sake of committing to the youth movement. At the time of the trade, there were a few (annoying) DLO fans that spoke out. I don't remember anyone on LG committed the same way to JR.

Truth is, after we drafted Lonzo and signed Lebron, DLO and JR were afterthoughts. Causalities of Magic/Pelinka's new roster building prowess.

Not sure which injury marked the turning point. Not sure if that's even to blame since all teams experience at least some injury. It's a culture thing here...it's a lack of backbone/core/spine that comes with a combo of vets playing on 1-yr deals and a relatively new coach that is learning as he goes.

Lack of defense, offensive flow coming to a halt at the e/o games, piss-poor ft shooting - more of a reflection of Luke's inability to get them on the same page. But at some point, the players need to take responsibility. (Especially Lebron - He knows what he did. His expressions remind me of a dog after he's made on the carpet....BAD KING!....BAD KING!!!)

We are a spoiled & impatient fan base and the steady increase in ticket prices need to be justified. Season ticket holders I think would have a hard time paying an increase w/o any stars. So every year, as prices go up, we need to dangle our young players as carrots in a potential trade talks.

Rinse and repeat every year. It's becoming exhausting.

Last edited by Kava on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Tanking can means getting to select Embiid instead of Randle, Towns instead of DLo, etc

Let's say we got embiid instead of Randle. We would be calling him a bust and asking to trade him because he had been injured for 2 seasons. We probably would want Randle instead because of how good he would have been playing on another team; like "we should have drafted Julius Randle." I see it all the time, we admire what we don't have and don't value what we do.

That has nothing to do with tanking, it simply to increase your chance at lower pick ping pong ball

It has to do with my question - What is the point of "tanking," getting a NBA prospect, just for y'all to wanna trade them? We have gotten Zo, DLO, BI, Randle, Zu, Kuz, etc... All of them are good prospects, but all of them y'all have requested to be traded.

Who's "y'all"?

Everyone?
Some posters?

It was more generally stated, nobody in particular, but I have seen a lot of posters on this forum wanna tank, just to wanna trade the players we get in the draft. The grass is greener logic. We keep undervaluing our own and lose faith entirely too soon. They are young and people want them to be Kobe and magic right away, without any type of development (or minimal development); Even though both Kobe and magic had time to develop.

Well, it's got to be some posters in particular because you seem to be matching up the ones that want to tank with the ones that want to trade players we get.

So pretty much, your post is addressed to these people you refer to as "y'all"

If we know who "y'all" are, we can locate "y'all" and tell them you've got a question for them.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
governator wrote:
CBA changed the game

U really believed the CBA didn’t changed the FA games for the Lakers as a destination
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

You're talking about two different things.

1. Some people want to tank at this point because they feel we have no chance of making the playoffs, so we might as well try to get the best possible pick that we can. Not everyone agrees with that, but I see the validity to it.

2. The decision to tank isn't inherently connected to whether you keep or trade the pick. Either way, the better the pick, the more value it has.

My feeling is it's all situational. If we get a good lottery pick, I might favor keeping or trading the player, depending on who it is and what other free agents we acquire. It's not simply that "the grass is greener." It depends on the roster makeup and what your strategy is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: