The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

Just watched a couple of flicks on the way home from Costa Rica (<highly recommended)

Bad Times At The El Royale

A really strange quirky movie but overall I liked it.

I thought John Hamm was very good in it, I like how he is reinventing himself after Mad Men.

Anyone else see that one?

The second one I saw is the "new" Star Is Born.

I was a big fan of the 1970's version of the film. I had heard some negative things about this one, but I liked it overall even though I thought it could have been 30 minutes shorter with less Gaga-Cooper kissing scenes but other than that it was good.

Gaga was adequate, I give her credit as that was a major role with little experience. Bradley Cooper I thought was very good, he is underrated as an actor in my opinion. But I agree with the poster above that perhaps his direction of the movie could have been better.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Films based on Patricia Highsmith novels ranked:

1. Carol
2. The Talented Mr. Ripley
3. Purple Noon
4. Ripley's Game
5. Strangers on a Train*

*Guy Haines is white privilege personified. You know a faster way to get the game over with, Guy? Throw the damn tennis match, you idiot.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Just watched a couple of flicks on the way home from Costa Rica (<highly recommended)

I thought John Hamm was very good in it, I like how he is reinventing himself after Mad Men.

I was a big fan of the 1970's version of the film. I had heard some negative things about this one, but I liked it overall even though I thought it could have been 30 minutes shorter with less Gaga-Cooper kissing scenes but other than that it was good.

Gaga was adequate, I give her credit as that was a major role with little experience. Bradley Cooper I thought was very good, he is underrated as an actor in my opinion. But I agree with the poster above that perhaps his direction of the movie could have been better.

I liked Bad Times. After Pulp Fiction came out in '94 there were a bunch of Tarantino imitators who made films that ranged from total dreck like 8 Heads In A Duffel Bag to reasonable like What To Do In Denver When You're Dead. Bad Times is the spiritual succesor to those mid-90s Pulp Fiction wannabes, but actually good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I liked Bad Times. After Pulp Fiction came out in '94 there were a bunch of Tarantino imitators who made films that ranged from total dreck like 8 Heads In A Duffel Bag to reasonable like What To Do In Denver When You're Dead. Bad Times is the spiritual succesor to those mid-90s Pulp Fiction wannabes, but actually good.

Things to do in denver when you're dead is one of my obscure little favorites.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Yes! One of my favorite Walken roles.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

That makes me think of Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei, and Albert Finney. It was Sidney Lumet's last film, and it's fantastic. It didn't get much love at awards season in early 2008, unfortunately.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

That makes me think of Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei, and Albert Finney. It was Sidney Lumet's last film, and it's fantastic. It didn't get much love at awards season in early 2008, unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm a fan of films like that. Another one that I just love watching over and over, despite not getting much love, in the heist genre (my favorite genre), is Takers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Films based on Patricia Highsmith novels ranked:

1. Carol
2. The Talented Mr. Ripley
3. Purple Noon
4. Ripley's Game
5. Strangers on a Train*

*Guy Haines is white privilege personified. You know a faster way to get the game over with, Guy? Throw the damn tennis match, you idiot.

Strangers on a Train is a comedy, right?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

^
Interesting. I think I remember seeing trailers for that, but never saw the movie. I see that it has poor reviews, but that's practically meaningless for me. Hell, you're talking to a guy who thinks that Weekend At Bernie's is a better film than The English Patient, so there's that.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Interesting. I think I remember seeing trailers for that, but never saw the movie. I see that it has poor reviews, but that's practically meaningless for me. Hell, you're talking to a guy who thinks that Weekend At Bernie's is a better film than The English Patient, so there's that.

Ok, first and foremost, I cannot second that opinion, but I am a fan of both the magisterial melodrama of Weekend at Bernie's and Willem Dafoe's unique brand of physical comedy in The English Patient.

Strangers is a 1951 Hitchcock classic. I saw it 20+ years ago on TCM, but rewatching it now it seems so much campier than I remembered and the two main characters are flat out dumb. It is a drop dead gorgeous film, though - the lighting, framing, etc. is a feast for the eyes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

^
The first Bernie's movie is hilarious to me, and the sequel is basically a total 180 of that. It's insanely terrible.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
The first Bernie's movie is hilarious to me, and the sequel is basically a total 180 of that. It's insanely terrible.

The 80s had the weirdest comedy premises. Weekend at Bernie's, Ghostbusters, Weird Science, Mannequin, The Man With Two Brains.

Like how did The Man With Two Brains ever get made?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^

The 80s had the weirdest comedy premises. Weekend at Bernie's, Ghostbusters, Weird Science, Mannequin, The Man With Two Brains.

There were leftover losses from Memoirs of an Invisible Man?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Go was a Pulp clone that actually worked for me.

Last edited by panamaniac on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Watched it recently. Same reaction, liked it overall. Difficult to come up with definite reasons to like or dislike it. It's because when it's over yer thinkin, wtf did I just watch? Hamm was good, the facade he was using was weird, but probably tough to pull off. Kinda talked like Foghorn Leghorn. I am a fan of Dakota Johnson's ass in jeans. That needs to be in more movies.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Watched it recently. Same reaction, liked it overall. Difficult to come up with definite reasons to like or dislike it. It's because when it's over yer thinkin, wtf did I just watch? Hamm was good, the facade he was using was weird, but probably tough to pull off. Kinda talked like Foghorn Leghorn. I am a fan of Dakota Johnson's ass in jeans. That needs to be in more movies.

I liked it. It's a fun smorgasbord of 60s cultural touchstones. This scene in particular really blew me away. Very well executed, and beautiful song selection. Maybe my favorite film "moment" of 2018.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Yeah, I'm a fan of films like that. Another one that I just love watching over and over, despite not getting much love, in the heist genre (my favorite genre), is Takers.

The Ice Harvest
Sexy Beast
Red Rock West (not heist per se)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Liked that one, but not exactly fresh in my mind, only saw it once bout 10 yrs ago. Might check it again now that you reminded me. One of Hoffman's last roles, iirc. That one, Charlie Wilson's War, and Doubt, which I've been seeing on cable of late. The acting and dialogue in Doubt are excellent, especially in the scenes among Amy Adams, Streep, and PSH. He really exuded the kind of mind that exists in a ped-priest, having mostly played characters of ill-repute throughout his career.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^

Soul Man feat C Thomas Howell. Try to imagine that one being made today.

One Crazy Summer had no plot that I'm aware of. I remember Demi Moore, John Cusak, and Bobcat Goldthwait just doin stuff and it was Summer and happenings occurred.

John Hughes had a fertile, but odd mind. His themes were mostly conventional besides Weird Science, but within them would be some oddly R rated stuff or cringy racial attitudes that were only a few years ahead of the PC standards of the 90s, Long Duk Dong for ex. I watched his "She's Having A Baby" for the first time recently and there was this scene that didn't fit w/ the rest of the movie. I'm not a prude and this is my favorite scene of the movie, but it was weirdly non-Hughesian to me.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

There really should be a best ass in jeans Oscar Category!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

There really should be a best ass in jeans Oscar Category!

I guarantee you she's proud of it. Reminds me of a scene in Mad Men where the annoying guy with the beard told Elizabeth Moss, "You have a great ass," and she pauses for a second to leave the audience thinking that she was gonna call him a pig, but instead she says, "Thanks!" all gratefully. She took it as a compliment, that was the joke see. That region a problem subject for most women.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Go was a Pulp clone that actually worked for me.

Good pull. That was very Tarantino-y without the totally excessive violence (some, but nothing like Marvin getting his face blown off).

Melissa McCarthy actually makes a brief cameo, as well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Liked that one, but not exactly fresh in my mind, only saw it once bout 10 yrs ago. Might check it again now that you reminded me. One of Hoffman's last roles, iirc. That one, Charlie Wilson's War, and Doubt, which I've been seeing on cable of late. The acting and dialogue in Doubt are excellent, especially in the scenes among Amy Adams, Streep, and PSH. He really exuded the kind of mind that exists in a ped-priest, having mostly played characters of ill-repute throughout his career.

Doubt is outstanding. The acting is just so phenomenal and, unlike other dramas that I've criticized for being boring (such as The English Patient and Ordinary People, I found it to be quite compelling to watch. Streep, Hoffman, and Adams are so brilliant in it. All 3 could have won Oscars for their roles, and I still can't believe Adams doesn't have one yet. I'm a huge fan of her work.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I guarantee you she's proud of it. Reminds me of a scene in Mad Men where the annoying guy with the beard told Elizabeth Moss, "You have a great ass," and she pauses for a second to leave the audience thinking that she was gonna call him a pig, but instead she says, "Thanks!" all gratefully. She took it as a compliment, that was the joke see. That region a problem subject for most women.

That was Stan and Peggy didn't mind because she had the hots for him. They end up together.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
The best films were made in the 70's. However, 1997 - 2007 is, imho, the greatest decade in the history of film.

I'll take your answers off air.

I don't know that I agree, but watch A Clockwork Orange on Netflix now for one of the truly great, truly surreal, truly timelessly vicious films ever made.

Both Godfather flicks were in the 70's, of course.

Deer Hunter, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, every Hal Ashby and Robert Altman flick...

It's my favorite film decade without even having to leave American soil.

Also adding Barbara Loden's criminally underrated Wanda, which is getting the Criterion treatment next month.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 11 of 189
Jump to: