Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

How would Lebron feel about Riley? Seems like he doesn’t give into his claims as much...
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Last night Lou set the record for most bench points and Ballmer was there with hugs and high fives. When have we seen Jeanie do that? Sometimes a team needs to look like a team. More importantly, feel like a team.

We had that camaraderie before, I remember players saying they'll run thru wall for the coach (Luke) and stuff

Lebron & Magicc killed that. If we were going to miss the playoffs I would’ve preferred we do so with our young core, not another bunch of new faces that we’ll inevitably swap out next year.

Really hated losing Randle.

Really hate watching Lou Will & Zubac on the other side.

Really miss LNJ’s energy
we missed the playoffs due to injuries.
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The pipe dream scenario if we fire Pelinka is to bring in Pat Riley to be the GM, with Riley we will have someone that the NBA respects and we will finally get respect from GMs...

With all due respect, you must have forgotten how much Riley wanted last time the GM job was offered to him (by Dr Buss himself, and the answer was part ownership etc....)!!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
2019 wrote:
I will just say, there were quite a few people here who were very correct in their fears and worries of hiring Magic....

Also, there is some talk that Randle had no place here. He came off the bench for the first half of the year in NO and put up 20/10 in 28 mins. Here's what we should have ran with...

Lopez (24) | Randle (18)
Randle (10) | Kuzma (28) | LeBron (10)
LeBron (22) | Ingram (20) | _____ (6)
Ingram (12) | Hart (22) | _______ (14)
Lonzo (32) | Rondo (16)

There was easily a way to get all the mins for the core guys and keeping Brook and Randle. if they were willing top give out more than one year deals, could have given Belinelli a contract for a couple years and still given him 20 mpg. the versatility up and down that roster was vast and rotations would have been well balanced.

Reading that article pisses me off but even wondering why that got out there is puzzling. Good news is Magic said he would step down if he couldn't get us back on top. Maybe that will happen if he whiffs this summer.

While Brook might have taken a one year deal, randle wouldn't and 2019 space was the priority

Randle didn't have a lot of choices. He was RFA. The only way he got the second year deal from NO was when LA renounced him.

That and that his bus surely to opt out this summer to earn a much bigger pay day. Plus, Magic's stupidity limited him from seeing Julius as an asset in a trade.. ironically for AD. We could have made a far more enticing offer so even if Julius didn't opt out, he's extreme value on a 1 year remaining deal when AD will be traded this summer.

I disagree, I believe NO was hell bent on screwing us and no offer with anyone associated with us would have won them over. Hell, we gifted them Randle and they didn't view it as a nice gesture from us and instead stuck a dagger in our backs.

I mean, I think they may have been able to do something better with Randle than they did, but they took a leap of faith that they would be able to land another FA instead, not sure they are wrong about that one. I do believe they have made some mistakes but I really believe they just punted on this season, knowing they had a good chance to land a FA by next season and that would be when the real team building began.

A lot of things went wrong this year and some of them are the FO's fault, some of them are the coaches fault and some are the players fault. Unfortunately the odd man out is Walton. He will go this year and if no FA is signed next year and the team flounders, then the FO is gone. At that point, I am going to feel bad for the Buss family because they will have to go back to square one and figure out what to do. At that point, if a complete reboot happens, I will take a break from them because they are in for a 10 year process and maybe worse.

That being said, they could get lucky and land that second superstar, then get rid of these one and dones and go sign some longer term solutions that would be vested and really help us.

By the end of next year, we will know without second guessing. Just remember everyone, it's all about the journey!
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
2019 wrote:
I will just say, there were quite a few people here who were very correct in their fears and worries of hiring Magic....

Also, there is some talk that Randle had no place here. He came off the bench for the first half of the year in NO and put up 20/10 in 28 mins. Here's what we should have ran with...

Lopez (24) | Randle (18)
Lonzo (32) | Rondo (16)

There was easily a way to get all the mins for the core guys and keeping Brook and Randle. if they were willing top give out more than one year deals, could have given Belinelli a contract for a couple years and still given him 20 mpg. the versatility up and down that roster was vast and rotations would have been well balanced.

Reading that article pisses me off but even wondering why that got out there is puzzling. Good news is Magic said he would step down if he couldn't get us back on top. Maybe that will happen if he whiffs this summer.

While Brook might have taken a one year deal, randle wouldn't and 2019 space was the priority

Randle didn't have a lot of choices. He was RFA. The only way he got the second year deal from NO was when LA renounced him.

That and that his bus surely to opt out this summer to earn a much bigger pay day. Plus, Magic's stupidity limited him from seeing Julius as an asset in a trade.. ironically for AD. We could have made a far more enticing offer so even if Julius didn't opt out, he's extreme value on a 1 year remaining deal when AD will be traded this summer.

I disagree, I believe NO was hell bent on screwing us and no offer with anyone associated with us would have won them over. Hell, we gifted them Randle and they didn't view it as a nice gesture from us and instead stuck a dagger in our backs.

I mean, I think they may have been able to do something better with Randle than they did, but they took a leap of faith that they would be able to land another FA instead, not sure they are wrong about that one. I do believe they have made some mistakes but I really believe they just punted on this season, knowing they had a good chance to land a FA by next season and that would be when the real team building began.

A lot of things went wrong this year and some of them are the FO's fault, some of them are the coaches fault and some are the players fault. Unfortunately the odd man out is Walton. He will go this year and if no FA is signed next year and the team flounders, then the FO is gone. At that point, I am going to feel bad for the Buss family because they will have to go back to square one and figure out what to do. At that point, if a complete reboot happens, I will take a break from them because they are in for a 10 year process and maybe worse.

That being said, they could get lucky and land that second superstar, then get rid of these one and dones and go sign some longer term solutions that would be vested and really help us.

By the end of next year, we will know without second guessing. Just remember everyone, it's all about the journey!

Danny Ainge must have promised NO outgoing GM Tatum and the pie in the sky for AD
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

VincentTH wrote:
Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
2019 wrote:

Lopez (24) | Randle (18)
Lonzo (32) | Rondo (16)

Danny Ainge must have promised NO outgoing GM Tatum and the pie in the sky for AD

I'm sure he gave them some assurances but if Kyrie leaves and they gut their team to sign AD, they are making a massive mistake. They should simply wait for the right guy to come along to add to their youth. If they can add one guy without giving up too much, they will make the finals for years to come.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
2019 wrote:

Lopez (24) | Randle (18)
Lonzo (32) | Rondo (16)

It's only about the journey if you don't enjoy the destination...
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wino wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
2019 wrote:

Lopez (24) | Randle (18)
Lonzo (32) | Rondo (16)

It's only about the journey if you don't enjoy the destination...

That makes no sense at all. When you finally achieve something, the journey is what got you there. When it is anointed to you, there is no sense of accomplishment and no hill you had to climb. The achievement is hollow and meaningless.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Last night Lou set the record for most bench points and Ballmer was there with hugs and high fives. When have we seen Jeanie do that? Sometimes a team needs to look like a team. More importantly, feel like a team.

I also remember Blake Griffin running away from Steve Ballmer's handshake a few months ago.

You don't always want ownership involved on that level you're describing. It can be a blessing and a curse. See: Jerry Jones.

I’m pretty sure that Blake hadn’t just broken an NBA record. Apples and oranges.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

VincentTH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The pipe dream scenario if we fire Pelinka is to bring in Pat Riley to be the GM, with Riley we will have someone that the NBA respects and we will finally get respect from GMs...

With all due respect, you must have forgotten how much Riley wanted last time the GM job was offered to him (by Dr Buss himself, and the answer was part ownership etc....)!!!

He can’t ask for that now unless one of the minority owners is feeling generous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know how frequently Magic is at Lakers HQ? Is he breaking down scouting film with the staff?

We’ve heard other team GMs reportedly refusing to deal with Rob. So Magic flies in and just sort of does the business?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Everyones gone into hiding from the media until the season ends
lakerlori
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Has the FO (Magic and Rob) given an explanation for the Zubac trade? Have they been asked? I am just watching this guy play at a high level for the Clippers....and it just makes no sense! His cap hold would have been peanuts this summer....

Grr, still so disturbed, don't get me started. Pelinka said something about needing outside shooting. Then I think, why'd they let Brook & T Bryant go? Could've gotten someone else without giving up our best center. I wonder if the Zu move was more Magic or Pelinka.... Magic does have a history of misjudging talent.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Has the FO (Magic and Rob) given an explanation for the Zubac trade? Have they been asked? I am just watching this guy play at a high level for the Clippers....and it just makes no sense! His cap hold would have been peanuts this summer....

They have apparently been doing their best to stay away from any reporters. This would kind of be a good time to do damage control and they're silent.

What? Everyone has been busy criticizing Magic for talking to much and all his public comments, while also praising Mitch for his quiet demeanor. Now he's wrong to not hold some press conference adding more fuel to the fire? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
RG73 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

They have apparently been doing their best to stay away from any reporters. This would kind of be a good time to do damage control and they're silent.

What? Everyone has been busy criticizing Magic for talking to much and all his public comments, while also praising Mitch for his quiet demeanor. Now he's wrong to not hold some press conference adding more fuel to the fire? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I have been one of them so I won’t criticize him now for keeping quiet.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Does anyone know how frequently Magic is at Lakers HQ? Is he breaking down scouting film with the staff?

We’ve heard other team GMs reportedly refusing to deal with Rob. So Magic flies in and just sort of does the business?

lakerlori
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Hate the Zu trade, but now I'm analyzing the SVI trade differently. They said they needed outside shooting so traded SVI. Ok, they traded an UNDER contract outside shooter for an outside shooting soon-to-be free agent who will cost more $$?? This wasn't even a lateral move. Again, was it more Magic or Pelinka? Curious still.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

lakerlori wrote:
Hate the Zu trade, but now I'm analyzing the SVI trade differently. They said they needed outside shooting so traded SVI. Ok, they traded an UNDER contract outside shooter for an outside shooting soon-to-be free agent who will cost more $$?? This wasn't even a lateral move. Again, was it more Magic or Pelinka? Curious still.

Svi was an unreliable shooter. Bullock is more proven.
I thought that was a pretty good trade but in fairness I've watched Bullock play exactly twice, so my opinion is near worthless
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakerlori wrote:

I thought that was a pretty good trade but in fairness I've watched Bullock play exactly twice, so my opinion is near worthless

U seen Bullock play as a Laker? He is a shooter who can't shoot nor defend
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We had that camaraderie before, I remember players saying they'll run thru wall for the coach (Luke) and stuff

Lebron & Magicc killed that. If we were going to miss the playoffs I would’ve preferred we do so with our young core, not another bunch of new faces that we’ll inevitably swap out next year.

Really hated losing Randle.

Really hate watching Lou Will & Zubac on the other side.

Really miss LNJ’s energy
we missed the playoffs due to injuries.

So why didn't the Clippers miss the playoffs? Or the Rockets? Or the Spurs? Or the Nuggets? Or..
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
tox wrote:
lakerlori wrote:

Yeah I mean I watched 2 games, I thought he did fine on Harden on defense and he shot ok in the two games I watched.

But obviously 2 games is a worthless sample size. He does have a legit track record of shooting tho, even if he's been bad on the Lakers
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Magic can't focus solely on the Lakers. He has too many ventures outside of the Lakers.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Magic can't focus solely on the Lakers. He has too many ventures outside of the Lakers.

All the more to hire a FO mastermind like a jerry west.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakerlori wrote:

Svi was an unreliable shooter as a rookie. It basically took Bullock until his 5th year to become a reliable shooter. Svi's learning curve will be much quicker - unfortunately the FO gave up on him too early.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
tox wrote:
lakerlori wrote:

As a Laker, I grant you. He was putting up a decent % before the Laker system sunk in. Bullock is a 39.4% career 3pt shooter in the NBA.

Defense-wise, though, yeah, he's not good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 159 of 174
Jump to: