mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It’s hard to get worked up about this.
just because we're used to the abuse doesnt mean we should just go "oh well" and throw our hands up in the air.

Wait, who was abused? Kids getting into colleges when they probably don’t belong is hardly one of the great evils we face today.

Kids who actually worked to get in and were left in the cold because their parents didn’t pay 500k to bribe their kids’ way in. It’s not the worst thing to ever happen, but it still sucks and shouldn’t happen.

Olivia Jade, in particular, who infamously said she was only going to college to party and for gamedays and she didn’t give a crap about the school part, sucks. Not only did she not earn her way in, but she also didn’t give a crap about getting in beyond getting to do the college party scene, taking a spot from a kid who wanted to get into USC to learn.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?

Yep. I know the USC water polo because my daughter used to train with him over her summer breaks. I wasn't surprised when I say SC was involved.

I'm pretty surprised about it on this one. If you can fill out the application and your check clears, you can get into USC.

really? I always thought it was a well respected academic school
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I can't wait for the Full House edition episode of Danny giving Aunt Becky a talk about how wrong she was for all this with the lesson learning music in the background.

right, I was confused when I learned it was Aunt Becky and a daughter? I only knew of Nicky and Alex
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

My daughter actually took the SAT this past weekend. I recall when we were reviewing prep courses, I came across articles suggesting there is extreme wide spread fraud involving the SAT and ACT. I recall one specific article highlighting Asian countries, especially China who were somewhat running "state sponsored" fraud schemes to inflate scores to get into American universities.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

What’s the illegal part, Fake grades and fake athletic qualifications?

Isn’t this the same thing as big donation to school and get ur kids in? For private school, can’t be too upset this is happening. Public schools, absolutely
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Isn’t this the same thing as big donation to school and get ur kids in? For private school, can’t be too upset this is happening. Public schools, absolutely

I believe they were hiring somebody else to take the SATs for them and bribing coaches to accept their child thru athletic scholarships.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
just because we're used to the abuse doesnt mean we should just go "oh well" and throw our hands up in the air.

Wait, who was abused? Kids getting into colleges when they probably don’t belong is hardly one of the great evils we face today.

Kids who actually worked to get in and were left in the cold because their parents didn’t pay 500k to bribe their kids’ way in. It’s not the worst thing to ever happen, but it still sucks and shouldn’t happen.

Olivia Jade, in particular, who infamously said she was only going to college to party and for gamedays and she didn’t give a crap about the school part, sucks. Not only did she not earn her way in, but she also didn’t give a crap about getting in beyond getting to do the college party scene, taking a spot from a kid who wanted to get into USC to learn.

Which is especially stupid, because the truly smart kids who don't give a (bleep) about school but still wanted the college party experience found ways to do so simply by showing up to a college party.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
governator wrote:

I believe they were hiring somebody else to take the SATs for them and bribing coaches to accept their child thru athletic scholarships.

There have been a few aspects to this. But as I understand it, at least some of the involved were taking the test, but getting extended time and the proctor would change some incorrect answers.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?

Yep. I know the USC water polo because my daughter used to train with him over her summer breaks. I wasn't surprised when I say SC was involved.

I'm pretty surprised about it on this one. If you can fill out the application and your check clears, you can get into USC.

And in the area, it's well known that if you're have money or a name, you're in.

The aspect I was responding to was that admissions were being offered for people who needed to find an athletic "scholarship" path versus an academic one - not about the ability to afford it in the first place. From the things that Vavic said during his camps, it makes sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Sucks for all those kids who tried to get into these elite schools (minus U$C) and got rejected only for some rich spoiled brat to take up that spot.

And I guarantee it was these same rich and wealthy complaining about affirmative action. The system is designed to make it extremely difficult for minority students in ways people don't even think about.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Sucks for all those kids who tried to get into these elite schools (minus U$C) and got rejected only for some rich spoiled brat to take up that spot.

And I guarantee it was these same rich and wealthy complaining about affirmative action. The system is designed to make it extremely difficult for minority students in ways people don't even think about.

Glad you mentioned this. Legacy admissions are really just one step removed from this (bleep) anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I didn’t get to go where I wanted, I was accepted but couldn’t afford it. So I just went somewhere else.

You have to learn the ropes in college, I took the 10 hours required to keep my scholarship with sufficient party time. Now if the girl that they showed on the news does party and not make the grades, not booting her would at least be immoral.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Short answer is that it depends. If you want to the right high school you were in no matter what. You would literally have to kill someone to be rejected and even then a good explanation would probably wipe out any opposition. It was a fallback but a very expensive one.

Children of celebrities would need to be serial killers or morons to a level that requires serious help to not get in on their own.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Short answer is that it depends. If you want to the right high school you were in no matter what. You would literally have to kill someone to be rejected and even then a good explanation would probably wipe out any opposition. It was a fallback but a very expensive one.

Children of celebrities would need to be serial killers or morons to a level that requires serious help to not get in on their own.

Yep. An elite private school pedigree goes a long way at a private university like SC.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I always assumed this kind of thing went on, but do appreciate the glimpse behind the curtain. There are some rich and famous people who are in big trouble. Fortunately for them they can afford good lawyers.

If you really want to do something impressive, go after the mega-donors. There is an overly high percentage of their children who happen to qualify for entry into elite colleges and universities. They don't bribe proctors and coaches. They bribe institutions. You can easily find them by looking at the names of buildings on campus.
Same goes for the children of high ranking government officials.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
taking a spot from a kid who wanted to get into USC to l̶e̶a̶r̶n̶ be shot, stabbed, or bludgeoned

fixed
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject:

Now I know why my son got denied by UCLA

Not only did I not pay a bribe, I don't even want to pay the tuition!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Maybe on ethical grounds but big donations provide funding for college curriculums and scholarships. In an ironic twist, I guess the Varsity Blues scam was also stealing from the big donors by taking scholarships reserved for the people who deserve them.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.

They went about it in the stupidest way possible -- no wonder they needed to bribe the school, they must have known the quality of the genes they were passing along...

Jokes aside, everyone knows the proper way to do this is to give a large donation to the school and remind the school administrators -- in person -- that you'd be happy to continue donating to such an excellent institution, especially if you could proudly declare yourself as the parent of an alumnus. You don't bribe soccer coaches, you effing dolts.
maybe just donating like that doesn't work for every big balla out there. so the other ballers have to try another avenue.

The question is did they get caught because of their way over top approach to their taxes acting as if they gave to a charity to write that money off?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
I always assumed this kind of thing went on, but do appreciate the glimpse behind the curtain. There are some rich and famous people who are in big trouble. Fortunately for them they can afford good lawyers.

If you really want to do something impressive, go after the mega-donors. There is an overly high percentage of their children who happen to qualify for entry into elite colleges and universities. They don't bribe proctors and coaches. They bribe institutions. You can easily find them by looking at the names of buildings on campus.
Same goes for the children of high ranking government officials.
I agree, but I say go after both.

The 1% and the 2%ers. lol. this is crazy. doing all of that for prestige.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
My daughter actually took the SAT this past weekend. I recall when we were reviewing prep courses, I came across articles suggesting there is extreme wide spread fraud involving the SAT and ACT. I recall one specific article highlighting Asian countries, especially China who were somewhat running "state sponsored" fraud schemes to inflate scores to get into American universities.
probably is true. look, what we regulars think about fairness and what SHOULD and SHOULD not happen is not in line with rich people. that has been proven to us time and time again adk.

Not that I condone cheating. But i'm not sure what cheating is, if the test itself isn't even fair to some students, and we can go as far as to say it's a rig up also. Do they really care about what they say they care about or is it about making money? that's from the SAT people all the way to the universities.

oh and lets go ahead and get this one start adk. cause I already know what you probably think about Affirmative Action. But all these white folks all up in arms about a few minorities getting a little boost to get in to some of these institutions after centuries of oppression for people that look like them in this country. and we have this kind of stuff going on, in addition to the other stuff we all knew about "just buying buildings for the school and giving tons of money to the schools to get your kid in." This is why I always call those conversations about black folks and brown folks having to "pull themselves up by their boot straps", BS^Nth.
Their kids inheritted their bootstraps, and they still want more. good grief.

I mean one of these actresses daughter's, is rich, super pretty, and white, which means she can basically get into darn near anything she wants to with a degree from some Junior college. or no degree at all.

adk... and to boot these rich mother... had the nerve to write it off. How bold can you be?

Let me cheat, do something illegal, and write it all off. WOW

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Parents-Got-Tax-Write-Off-Amidst-Alleged-College-Admission-Scandal-507055931.html
Quote:
Officials said the scam allowed millions of dollars to then become tax write-offs for the parents at the end of the year

These people are on some "I will not lose" type of lifestyle.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Maybe they were all intentionally teaching the hardworking students a valuable life lesson.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

One indirect topic that has been brought to light in this scandal is how an unintended consequence of Title IX requirements created an environment for some parts of this scandal. Some of these athletic "spots" are a result of Title IX compliance.

To my surprise, many of these athletic spots in Crew, Sailing, and other niche non-revenue sports go unfilled every year. College athletic departments actually spend a decent amount of time trying to put a name into an open spot to remain compliant with Title IX. If they fall out of compliance, they have to eliminate sports on the other gender side to remain balanced.

In many cases, the schools are already fudging the numbers to remain compliant. For example, my understanding is a school will assign 15 spots to the Women's Sailing team. School can only fill 11 spots this year....so they basically find 4 athletic females to give Sailing a try. Now all 15 spots are accounted for, but 3 of the 4 females decide after the 4th and 5th practice they do not enjoy Sailing, and stop showing up. Sailing team and Athletic Department does not care because the names in the spot keeps them compliant.

I am not suggesting dismantling Title IX based on this....but I do think some things need to be reviewed.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You have to learn the ropes in college, I took the 10 hours required to keep my scholarship with sufficient party time.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

It would've been cheaper and less embarrassing to hire a tutor for your kid.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: