News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
He has done a lot of good. He went with a plan of getting playmakers and it didn’t work, but because he is smart with contracts we can make a new attempt this summer.

I’d rather continue to have the potential to be great and keep our options open with safe signings than to pull a Deng and mozgov.

Zubac trade was bad. Let’s wait and see what he can do once he gets a meeting with Kyrie and Kawhi. Even though it’s a long shot... Magic is Mr. LA and deserves to be given time and our support.

Now if he maxes out Middleton or Cousins THEN call for him to step down.

Only person exposed this season for incompetence is Luke Walton.

The "playmakers plan" could've worked. I don't think Magic could foresee our best shooters from last season completely falling off a cliff. If they maintained their averages I think it would've been a successful plan.

The 3 big strikes for me are:

1. Slamming the door shut on Jerry West

2. Not even attempting to sign Lopez for such a miniscule salary

3. Zubac trade

Agreed. Everyone was saying over the summer how we had no "shooters", when we had Hart, KCP, Kuz, and Lance all shooting great percentages. His bigger mistakes were the easily avoidable ones, like bringing back Lopez for dirt cheap or not letting Randle walk. I'm indifferent to West coming back.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
He has done a lot of good. He went with a plan of getting playmakers and it didn’t work, but because he is smart with contracts we can make a new attempt this summer.

I’d rather continue to have the potential to be great and keep our options open with safe signings than to pull a Deng and mozgov.

Zubac trade was bad. Let’s wait and see what he can do once he gets a meeting with Kyrie and Kawhi. Even though it’s a long shot... Magic is Mr. LA and deserves to be given time and our support.

The "playmakers plan" could've worked. I don't think Magic could foresee our best shooters from last season completely falling off a cliff. If they maintained their averages I think it would've been a successful plan.

3. Zubac trade

Agreed. Everyone was saying over the summer how we had no "shooters", when we had Hart, KCP, Kuz, and Lance all shooting great percentages. His bigger mistakes were the easily avoidable ones, like bringing back Lopez for dirt cheap or not letting Randle walk. I'm indifferent to West coming back.

Well if the worst the FO did was slam the door on West, who by the way is doing exactly what we did, clearing space for 2 max, not signing Brook, who would have been nice to keep, and trading Zu, who we don't know what he'll turn out to be, then it's not the end of the world.

I think their biggest mistake is letting Randle go. They could've given him the same deal as NO. Let him have the option, he's going to use it. There's no doubt. I choose to remain positive knowing we were 19-14, and trending way up before the injuries and also knowing we were 15-8 with the top 4 guys. Injuries suck but there's not much you can do. Especially when they hit 4 out of your top 5 guys.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

Fire Magic.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject:

"Sapping morale". Seriously. I agree with Magic here. Got to stop the whining. Sure it doesn't feel good that you might get traded (for a better player).

Yeah that uncertainty might make you feel gloomy for a couple of games. But if it's still an issue weeks later that you go into cataclysmic stupor over it, then you should hook up with a Kardashian because Lamar Odom status is your next calling card.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

Maglinka have had some growing pains but it seems impossible to argue against them as an upgrade from Jimchak.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
magic Johnson is that old uncle you cant get rid of at family parties. He says the most dumbest things and he makes everyone uncomfortable...

TAKE A HIKE MAGIC WE WANT JERRY WEST BACK!!!!!
West is 80 years old.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject:

I liked Magic and Robs plan for the most part coming into the season. I did think we needed another C, whether it be Brook or Len or Noel. I didn’t mind Randle being kicked to the curb since he is such a crap defender.

There are really two reasons why we sucked this year

1 - young core. With the exception of Ball, all of them regressed dramatically in terms of shooting, especially the 3. Add in injuries and suspensions and they were a huge letdown.

2 - Interior Defense. When Javale was ballin to start the season and blocking shots we were really good. He ran out of steam, Zubac wasn’t getting it done in there and chandler is done as a player.

There was no way for our FO to predict #1. Our coaching and development staff along with our medical is to blame there. This is the primary reason why Luke and Co need to be terminated, not our overall record.

#2 is totally on Magic and Rob. I don’t do this for a living and I knew it was a mistake not signing a legit defensive starting caliber center like Len or Noel before the season started. I don’t know if this is enough of a reason to replace them, but it’s the single glaring error they’ve made.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
999 wrote:
magic Johnson is that old uncle you cant get rid of at family parties. He says the most dumbest things and he makes everyone uncomfortable...

West is 80 years old.

And look at what he can do even at that age.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Maglinka have had some growing pains but it seems impossible to argue against them as an upgrade from Jimchak.

Isn’t a lottery season a lottery season? Nothing has changed except we go negative on wins for the first time since we have been tanking.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
999 wrote:

West is 80 years old.

And look at what he can do even at that age.

What has he done?...he cleared space. Magic and Rob did that as well.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

Check out how large the Laker organization is and how much data and expertise they have. It's not Magic making random moves it's a giant collective of personnel. Please note Ryan West "Director of Player Personnel" on that list of folks.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/staff-members
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

Magic is the worst GM/PoBO ever IMO. He basically did only bad things. Signing Lebron was not his move. LBJ decided to sign for Lakers long ago. So all the moves he did were complete crap.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Check out how large the Laker organization is and how much data and expertise they have. It's not Magic making random moves it's a giant collective of personnel. Please note Ryan West "Director of Player Personnel" on that list of folks.

Have you done a compare and contrast against the rest of the league for similar positions in basketball operations?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

Can you tell how much data and expertise they have by looking at a list of names? Do you know anything about the organizational culture and operations? Even if they had a lot of expertise, does Magic listen to them in taking action? Do you know how support staff are paid relative to other teams? Therefore, do you know that the Lakers hired the very best person available for each of those positions? I mean I could go on and on about this, but literally no one has ever said that the Lakers are filled with experts, base decisions on big data analytics, spend more on support staff than any other franchise, or have any sort of organizational innovation.

And yeah, Ryan and Jesse are two of the bright spots there. But it doesn't help when Magic ships out their players....
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Magic is the worst GM/PoBO ever IMO. He basically did only bad things. Signing Lebron was not his move. LBJ decided to sign for Lakers long ago. So all the moves he did were complete crap.

So you hate:

Drafting Lonzo Ball
Trading Tony Bradley for Josh Hart & Thomas Bryant
Signing KCP
Trading LNJ & Clarkson for cap space & a #1
Hiring Jason Rosenfeld as Director of Basketball Analytics
Hiring Gunnar Peterson as Director of Strength & Endurance Training
Creating cap space for 2 max deals
*not screwing up* the pre-destined (according to you) LBJ signing

OK. Magic sucks.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

I'm not sure how effective all those people are. As an example, Special Consultant Bill Sharman is dead.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

So you hate:

Drafting Lonzo Ball
Signing KCP

OK. Magic sucks. :ha!:

I hate letting Thomas Bryant walk when we have a glaring need for a stretch 5. And yes, I hate the KCP signing. And didn't Rosenfeld leave the Lakers after a few months?
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Well if the worst the FO did was slam the door on West, who by the way is doing exactly what we did, clearing space for 2 max, not signing Brook, who would have been nice to keep, and trading Zu, who we don't know what he'll turn out to be, then it's not the end of the world.

I think their biggest mistake is letting Randle go. They could've given him the same deal as NO. Let him have the option, he's going to use it. There's no doubt. I choose to remain positive knowing we were 19-14, and trending way up before the injuries and also knowing we were 15-8 with the top 4 guys. Injuries suck but there's not much you can do. Especially when they hit 4 out of your top 5 guys.

I don't know if its true or not because I read this on the Lakers sub reddit, but apparently Randle wanted near the max for his extension with the Lakers. He later decided to do the bet on himself deal with a 1 year contract with a player option. Meaning he wasn't going to sign with the Lakers at the Pelicans price. I know Randle wasn't the happiest when he was here at times.

It's kind of similar to the criticism Boston received when they didn't trade for Jimmy Butler and it appeared it wouldn't have cost them much. But the reality is that in all likelihood the Bulls did not want to deal with the Celtics and would've asked much more to send him there to an eastern conference team. The cost of players is different depending on the team and situation.

But yes Randle was a massive blow. That is guy you want at the 5 in a small ball lineup instead of Kuzma. Probably would've been best to give Randle what he wanted and to trade Lonzo or Ingram to make the space for a max slot.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I don't know if its true or not because I read this on the Lakers sub reddit, but apparently Randle wanted near the max for his extension with the Lakers. He later decided to do the bet on himself deal with a 1 year contract with a player option. Meaning he wasn't going to sign with the Lakers at the Pelicans price. I know Randle wasn't the happiest when he was here at times.

It's kind of similar to the criticism Boston received when they didn't trade for Jimmy Butler and it appeared it wouldn't have cost them much. But the reality is that in all likelihood the Bulls did not want to deal with the Celtics and would've asked much more to send him there to an eastern conference team. The cost of players is different depending on the team and situation.

But yes Randle was a massive blow. That is guy you want at the 5 in a small ball lineup instead of Kuzma. Probably would've been best to give Randle what he wanted and to trade Lonzo or Ingram to make the space for a max slot.

Is that right? What I heard reported also (don't know if true), is that he would have accepted the two year $18 million deal from the Lakers but the Lakers wanted the option in the second year. Randle insisted on having the option and the Lakers let him go fearing he could possibly opt in and screw up their max deal FA. If true, dumb move because Randle was no doubt going to opt out. He's worth much more than $ 9 million a year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

So you hate:

Drafting Lonzo Ball
Signing KCP

OK. Magic sucks.

Drafting Lonzo Ball -- debatable but there were better options: Tatum and Fox namely
Trading Tony Bradley for Josh Hart & Thomas Bryant --if they were going to let just waive TB, why not just take Hart at 28?
Signing KCP -- season 1 was fine. season 2 has been a disaster and for $14MM that money could've been a lot better spent
Trading LNJ & Clarkson for cap space & a #1 -- still haven't used that cap space
Hiring Gunnar Peterson as Director of Strength & Endurance Training -- do we know he's doing a good job? Injuries this season seem pretty high
Creating cap space for 2 max deals still haven't used both and the true max guys don't seem to want to be a part of this mess
*not screwing up* the pre-destined (according to you) LBJ signing kudos for not messing it up
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Creating cap space for 2 max deals still haven't used both and the true max guys don't seem to want to be a part of this mess
*not screwing up* the pre-destined (according to you) LBJ signing kudos for not messing it up

In other words, Magic has earned a participation trophy so far.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

I'm not sure how effective all those people are. As an example, Special Consultant Bill Sharman is dead.
This is true.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

This is true.

Was it also the whole core telling Jerry West to kick rocks..we dont need you?

Was it the whole staff making that ridiculous trade for AD that failed and made this Org look like a bunch of Rookies..that dont know what in the world they doing?

So they were the one telling magic to go in the locker room in Phili to tell the youth..."I was going to trade all yawl..SO? MAN UP!"

Was the staff the one to trade ZU for nothing...to the GUY YOU TOLD TO KICK ROCKS LAST SUMMER?

Is it really the Staff or just SUNDAY ARM CHAIR GM MAGIC?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:

3. Zubac trade

Hart, KCP, Kuzma and Lance aren’t shooters. Lebron is about the only one.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

we dont know the stories behind any of these. we dont know how the zu trade went down....how are you guys so confident where to place blame for invisible things?
what if lebron said i wont play if lopez is there? we just dont know anything. and most of this forum was HATING on lopez last year anyway. now its a reason to fire magic? lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 10 of 126
Jump to: