Good thing about this season going into the summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Why Kyrie, when we have Lonzo Ball? I'm perfectly fine with Zo.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Kyrie would automatically be #2 option (#1 at times) in Offense with BI/Kuz as 3rd. Lonzo would play the Draymond role, initiating offense outside of LeBron, D-up best perimeter player and also lead perimeter team defense
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Anybody that comes here has to be comfortable being in Lebrons shadow. They have to be prepared to take blame for the losses, and extra blame if they actually play poorly. They have to be prepared for a lot of Lebron's shortcomings to be glazed over and sitting back as Lebron gets the credit for the wins. They have be ok with their good play being a result of Lebron having made them better.

I look at it from a different viewpoint. If Lebron ever wants to win again, he has to make it clear to that Max FA that it will be the Max FAs team.

Lebron must become the #2, unless he really doesn’t care about winning another chip.

If another MVP level guy, like KL and Durant, comes here, Lebron and him will have to work out their roles. I doubt it will be "You're #1 and I'm #2" as much as how they will work in tandem.

It should be more like Durant and Curry in Golden State, where they each get their shots and they don't make a big deal about who the top dog is. I wouldn't expect Lebron to stand up an a conference and announce, "This is Kevin's team now" or anything like that.

Other than those two, I can't imagine any of the other max free agents -- Klay, Irving, Butler, etc, -- being the #1 guy here.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Kyrie would automatically be #2 option (#1 at times) in Offense with BI/Kuz as 3rd. Lonzo would play the Draymond role, initiating offense outside of LeBron, D-up best perimeter player and also lead perimeter team defense

I don't like the idea, especially with BI on the team. Zo, Bron, and BI setting up players, but now we would have Zo, Bron, Kyrie, and BI? Sounds like a problem to me. We need off the ball role players. On offense, Zo is most effective on ball, not off ball pushed in a corner or shooting set 3's.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

I don't like the idea, especially with BI on the team. Zo, Bron, and BI setting up players, but now we would have Zo, Bron, Kyrie, and BI? Sounds like a problem to me. We need off the ball role players. On offense, Zo is most effective on ball, not off ball pushed in a corner or shooting set 3's.

They're all high IQ ballers, they'll figure out the pecking orders, same with GS
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

If Magic were try to sell that narrative to free agents it would be extremely cute but I don't think it would work.

Too much history and evidence shows what the narrative and story would be with the media.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

They're all high IQ ballers, they'll figure out the pecking orders, same with GS

Boston hasn't figured out the pecking order and Kyrie isn't giving himself up, in order to better the team. When he does, the team is successful.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Magic's goal will be to get the best possible star, not to worry about who fits in with the existing players, since not all the existing player are likely to stick around.

If we get Irving, the Lakers would probably just trade Zo.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Magic's goal will be to get the best possible star, not to worry about who fits in with the existing players, since not all the existing player are likely to stick around.

If we get Irving, the Lakers would probably just trade Zo.

That wouldn't be a good idea, but we are talking about Magic, sooo I see it happening like that.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

The hope is that Lebron is putting it out there that he needs the help and will either share the team, or play in a super-support role. Being that the players spend time together off court, I assume the ones that are friendly or open to playing with Lebron will not be changing their minds from the Lakers struggles this season. As such, having Lebron James on this team, and keeping him happy so that he can recruit effectively, is the most important, if not the only hope, for finally get this Laker team to a competitive mode again. Yes...it's all about Lebron.

This is why I have always felt that the Magic/Pelinka plan is actually on track, despite the losing record, Luke's coaching, the AD thing, or whatever. I think the keys to Phase 1 was to get Lebron on this team, shed salary, give the young core another season to improve, and all the while, let Lebron do his thing behind the scenes in regards to bringing in that second superstar.

In essence, I don't think making the playoffs was that important in Magic/Pelinka's overall scheme. Of course they'll never admit that, but one of the reasons for why we have such a ragtag group of players is specifically because being competitive in the post season wasn't a front office priority.

The important components of their plan are actually in place. We, and the media, may be lamenting about this being a failed season. But in reality, the most important benchmarks I suspect were met, and making the playoffs wasn't a primary concern.

That said, NOW, the real test of Lebron James's influence and Magic/Pelinka's projections will be had this summer, when Phase 2 (the 2nd superstar phase) gets rolling. Lebron's networking, Magic's networking, Pelinka's juggling the numbers, all it comes to bear this summer.

I am extremely excited and anxious about this off season. The fireworks are about to start...stay tuned.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

In terms of its (the LeBron salvation effect) likelihood for making the LAL a more attractive FA destination, it's not likely a strong motivator for the ones most likely to feel it.

Kawhi and LeBron look like a bad combo psychologically to me. LeBron plays mind games with team mates and Kawhi seems to reject anything like that. He won't come.

Kyrie's focus and health shifts North or South with the passing of a given passing week. Pass on that for us.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
That said, NOW, the real test of Lebron James's influence and Magic/Pelinka's projections will be had this summer, when Phase 2 (the 2nd superstar phase) gets rolling. Lebron's networking, Magic's networking, Pelinka's juggling the numbers, all it comes to bear this summer.

I am extremely excited and anxious about this off season. The fireworks are about to start...stay tuned.

...On ESPN
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
In terms of its (the LeBron salvation effect) likelihood for making the LAL a more attractive FA destination, it's not likely a strong motivator for the ones most likely to feel it.

Kawhi and LeBron look like a bad combo psychologically to me. LeBron plays mind games with team mates and Kawhi seems to reject anything like that. He won't come.

Kyrie's focus and health shifts North or South with the passing of a given passing week. Pass on that for us.

This is why I think it'll end up being Kemba/Jimmy/Boogie (no).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

Right now the top potential free agents in order seem be: Durant, KL, Irving, Klay, Butler.

I suspect that Magic will go down the list and take the first one that says yes.

If the Lakers can get KL, they aren't going to worry about how Lebron and him work together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Right now the top potential free agents in order seem be: Durant, KL, Irving, Klay, Butler.

I suspect that Magic will go down the list and take the first one that says yes.

If the Lakers can get KL, they aren't going to worry about how Lebron and him work together.

I'd say after this season, it's clear that Magic doesn't really put too much premium in team chemistry.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Magic's goal will be to get the best possible star, not to worry about who fits in with the existing players

That sounds like Magic’s plan, get the biggest name you can. But if that player doesn’t fit with the rest of your team, you failed.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Anybody that comes here has to be comfortable being in Lebrons shadow. They have to be prepared to take blame for the losses, and extra blame if they actually play poorly. They have to be prepared for a lot of Lebron's shortcomings to be glazed over and sitting back as Lebron gets the credit for the wins. They have be ok with their good play being a result of Lebron having made them better.

I look at it from a different viewpoint. If Lebron ever wants to win again, he has to make it clear to that Max FA that it will be the Max FAs team.

Lebron must become the #2, unless he really doesn’t care about winning another chip.

Then Lebron has to go to THEIR and do that there, even then it probably wouldn't happen, the media won't let it. It certainly isn't happening here.

Do you have a newspaper clipping of LBJ on your bathroom mirror that you crumble into a ball like Rocky did in Rocky 4 every night?

No, why would you think that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Then Lebron has to go to THEIR and do that there, even then it probably wouldn't happen, the media won't let it. It certainly isn't happening here.

Do you have a newspaper clipping of LBJ on your bathroom mirror that you crumble into a ball like Rocky did in Rocky 4 every night?

B/c that's what you do on LG.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1105916125815037952?s=21

This is why Lebron has to think in terms of #2.

Harden is carrying 33 year old Chris Paul and someone will have to carry 35 year old Lebron James...at least over an 82 game season.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Harden is carrying 33 year old Chris Paul and someone will have to carry 35 year old Lebron James...at least over an 82 game season.

If LeBron wants to sell this it will work. Question is will he. I think his ego is too big for that (with the Jordans and Kobes).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

If LeBron wants to sell this it will work. Question is will he. I think his ego is too big for that (with the Jordans and Kobes).

Yeah. It's going to be tough.

But after this year, one would hope that he would take a good look in the mirror. Does he want to do it his way, and miss another playoffs?

Or get some help and continue trying to add rings?
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

Harden was already better than CP3 when he signed with the Rockets.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yeah. It's going to be tough.

But after this year, one would hope that he would take a good look in the mirror. Does he want to do it his way, and miss another playoffs?

Or get some help and continue trying to add rings?

If he wised up he would. Even taking the passenger seat role wouldn't diminish his legacy IMO. It goes along with his narrative of always making the right play.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

That’s my concern. An aging LBJ who is unwilling to do so is of no use to the Lakers.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

B/c that's what you do on LG.

What did I say that wasn't accurate?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: