Worst Lakers Head Coach of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the worst Lakers coach of all time?
Luke Walton
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Mike D"Antoni
14%
 14%  [ 13 ]
Byron Scott
69%
 69%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 91

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Dell Harris probably should get a mention as well.

Had a roster of:

Nick Van Exel
Young Kobe
SHAQ
Eddie Jones
Rick Fox
Robert Horry
Dennis Rodman
DFish
Elden Campbell

Which later he pushed for a trade for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice and JR Reid. Where Duncan completely obliterated Reid.

Your lineup is a little off. Dennis Rodman didn’t play under Del.

I had a chance to meet Del Harris, really nice guy, but I agree. Del Harris was infuriating as our coach with that team. Especially with how he would keep Kobe on the bench for extended periods of time and in critical situations. Kobe was electric, even as a youngster back then.

That lineup is ridiculously good if harnessed properly, as Phil Jackson basically proved a year later. We’ve had bad coaches, but when you have a team like that anything less than competing in a championship series is a true failure.

Dennis played in 99/00 for the lakers

Shoot, my memory was wrong, and according to Basketball-Reference.com you are wrong too. He actually played for the 98-99 lakers which was indeed coached by Del for the first 12 games of the season. That was the year they fired him. Most of that year he was coached by Rambis. Didn’t go so well. PJ to the rescue in 99-00.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Byron scott. \end thread
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
matigol wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Had a roster of:

Nick Van Exel
Young Kobe
SHAQ
Eddie Jones
Rick Fox
Robert Horry
Dennis Rodman
DFish
Elden Campbell

Which later he pushed for a trade for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice and JR Reid. Where Duncan completely obliterated Reid.

I had a chance to meet Del Harris, really nice guy, but I agree. Del Harris was infuriating as our coach with that team. Especially with how he would keep Kobe on the bench for extended periods of time and in critical situations. Kobe was electric, even as a youngster back then.

That lineup is ridiculously good if harnessed properly, as Phil Jackson basically proved a year later. We’ve had bad coaches, but when you have a team like that anything less than competing in a championship series is a true failure.

Shoot, my memory was wrong, and according to Basketball-Reference.com you are wrong too. He actually played for the 98-99 lakers which was indeed coached by Del for the first 12 games of the season. That was the year they fired him. Most of that year he was coached by Rambis. Didn’t go so well. PJ to the rescue in 99-00.

Actually, I think you were right. If I remember right, Rodman joined the team just after Del was fired. In fact, I think I recall Del saying something like "I wish I'd gotten the chance to coach you" to Rodman when they encountered each other at the Laker facility. In fact, I just checked and Rodman's first game was the 14th of the season. Del was fired after the 12th game.
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Did not vote. Need entry for Mike Brown

Last edited by VincentTH on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

rambis
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Worst Lakers Head Coach of All Time

Hero Ball wrote:
Minimum 2 years at the helm with a losing record.

For those picking Randy Pfund, he didn't get 2 full years, he got 92/3 and most of 93/4 before Magic finished out that season. If people are thinking that Dunleavy left right after the Bulls Finals, he didn't, he was also the coach in 91/2. Beyond that, Pfund is not even close to the worst all time even if the parameters are 1.75 seasons. The team he had wasn't that good and he got them to one BS mistake by the refs in the 93 1st round of toppling the Suns. You're talking post-Magic, no superstar. We've had worse coaches than him who had Kobe to one degree of health or another. At least Pfund knew how to make adjustments and diagram plays outside of timeouts because he learned under Riley. What's Walton's excuse? There's no way in HELL he's a better coach than Pfund and we're not even talkin bout Baby B or Mike Brown yet.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I go with Byron, then Magic, then Frank Hamlen

If we're doing Magic and Hamblen, Rudy Tutti isn't too far behind. I think it's likelier than not that Frank was coerced into switching to the triangle as soon as Rudy transferred, probably for an audience of 1 who was watching at home (Phillip). Hamblen had a 2-21 streak on his resume because of that. He was demonstrative in his lack of giveadamn, too. Remember him shrugging and chuckling after some losses. Interims are interims, tho.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Byron scott for sure. I'd be shocked if he got another coaching job after his debacle
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Del won COY in 95 and he actually deserved it. That team was hit hard by injuries and won 48 before a late season swoon. They could've very plausibly won 55. They won a playoff series in a mild upset and availed themselves well against the Spurs (lunkhead Vlade missing two free throws at the end of G2 prevented a 7 gm series).

Del was good with that kind of roster. Lotta young guys. That's why West dusted him off, because Del was a teacher type. When the scenery changed and he was expected to go to the Finals, that's when he was in over his head. He got a lot of flack for not figuring out a way to counter the pick n roll as executed by the most prolific pnr duo of all time, but we weren't even that good at stopping it under Phil.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

VincentTH wrote:
Did not vote. Need entry for Mike Brown

Mike Brown needs to be fired.

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Byron scott. \end thread

Byron Scott needs to be fired.

matigol wrote:

Did the Lakers punt too soon on Dennis Rodman?

ringfinger wrote:

Kobe ruined Kobe.

Kobe showed legit star power amidst Lakers' turmoil.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Luke easily. Can’t even make the playoffs with Lebron James.

Even Byron could have done it.

And how the hell is Dantoni an option here? He was the best coach we have had since Phil Jackson retired.

2 years with a losing record.

You’re wrong on that too. We made the playoffs with Dantoni in his 1st year. We missed it in his 2nd/last year.

His overall record was 67-87, which is a losing record. He also intentionally screwed us on the way out of the door - we could've had Embiid instead of Randle.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I think the results of this poll are off.

A head coach's success will be heavily dependent on the construct of the team.

Byron Scott did have success in New Orleans, but he inherited a misaligned Laker team with a hobbled Kobe nearing retirement, some retreaded vets long past their prime, and a few raw, undisciplined rookies. If you go back and examine those Laker teams back in the Scott era, you can see why he had limited success.

Luke Walton, like B. Scott, inherited a flawed team, made worse by the presence of Lebron James, who completely disrupted the structuring potential of our then young Laker squad. This season, Luke was given a team that was nearly impossible to both win with, and work with.

In my book, D'Antoni was the worst on the list, simply because he tried to force a sort of philosophy onto a team that wasn't compatible with it. His high paced offense wasn't suited for an aging Kobe, and the Lakers didn't have the talent that would have proven proficient in a D'Antoni system. Despite this, D'Antoni arrogantly made no attempt to adjust things.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Phil Jackson

was the worst at missing the playoffs
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Byron was 38-126 with the Lakers.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
matigol wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Had a roster of:

Nick Van Exel
Young Kobe
SHAQ
Eddie Jones
Rick Fox
Robert Horry
Dennis Rodman
DFish
Elden Campbell

Del never coached Rodman with the Lakers. He was fired before Dennis’s first game.
Dennis was gone before the 99 season ended. Rambis had enough of his antics.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

one more note about that 99 Lakers team. The Lakers were making a good run before the Glen Rice deal. The word was out that West was going to make the move. Rodman sniffed it out went into the FO and told them they would f up the team if they made that trade.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

None of them.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
tox wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
I have a 2 year criteria

You also had a "losing records 2 years" criteria and promptly contradicted it by including D'Antoni.

So I'll keep Hamblen on this illustrious list of coaches even if it's not playing by your rules

Pringles had a 67-87 record, what's wrong with you?

My bad, I parsed that as losing records for each of two years as opposed to cumulative record.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Well this is an easy one. Byron of course. Luke is after him and MDA but I can really say he was that bad. He just didn't had good group of guys for his system. He had Coward, I mean come on.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Come on now. We all know Kobe was the real coach of those Byron teams.
BGJ
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject:

Byron and it´s not even close.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

All 3 choices are part of, but also victims of, the malaise that's been festering in this organization for many years.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

The worst all-time isn't even on that list.

Butch van Breda Kolff.

The man would argue with a box of crackers and lose if he though it looked at him sideways.

He coached the Lakers two seasons to two Finals defeats during a time of great player talent. He fought with Chamberlain continually, and could never reconcile the team leader (Baylor) to stop divisive socializing against Wilt. Butch sat Wilt at game's end in the Finals famously, contributing to a Laker defeat. His teams carried themselves into the playoffs despite his feeble mind and instant-on temper. He was a complete misfit with stars having strong personalities.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
The worst all-time isn't even on that list.

Butch van Breda Kolff.

The man would argue with a box of crackers and lose if he though it looked at him sideways.

He coached the Lakers two seasons to two Finals defeats during a time of great player talent. He fought with Chamberlain continually, and could never reconcile the team leader (Baylor) to stop divisive socializing against Wilt. Butch sat Wilt at game's end in the Finals famously, contributing to a Laker defeat. His teams carried themselves into the playoffs despite his feeble mind and instant-on temper. He was a complete misfit with stars having strong personalities.

you truly are a 70's dude.

He had a winning record, though.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Luke’s worse than Byron from a technical XO standpoint but better with dealing with players of this era and connecting with them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: