Brian Windhorst Breaks Down the Disastrous Lakers Season.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Username wrote:
Players get injured all around the NBA on a regular basis. Are their training staff's to blame, or do we only blame the trainers when it's a Lakers player?

Of course they do--and yes, sometimes training staffs are to blame. But no one has ever said that the Lakers lead the league in innovation in this area, nor are they even up to current standards. Why are you ok with being subpar in something that may help? The reality is there are sound reasons to believe improvements in training may benefit availability of players, but we won't know until those improvements are implemented. If the Lakers were doing something innovative there don't you think we'd get stories about it? They built a new training facility (long overdue) that doesn't look much different than other team facilities (some of which look more impressive). But there is more to it than just having a new building.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Remember the 7% body fat thing last year?

That should have been the first sign he didn't know wtf he's talking about.

It's good for photo shoots and Rocky 4 though. Ok, they may have all been on steroids for that.

Ok, they were most definitely on roids.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Lonzo's ankle injuries i think are strong evidence of our weak staff. It was very obvious coming out of college he had weak hip/glutes. Someone as uneducated as me pointed this out when we were talking about drafting him. His first ankle sprain was inevitable. I asked at the time if we had the wherewithal to prevent future ones the same way GSW went to work with Steph: stabilizing his hips and glutes.

Where is our trainer to the stars on this one? Lonzo's core looks the same it did in college. He still lands from dunks in the same stilted way, with little down-chain force distribution. He effectively lands on his ankles (i.e., the impact chain basically stops there). You can see it in the way he runs, very little activation of his hips and glutes. This creates an imbalance that forces his ankles to do all the stabilizing that his hips/glutes are supposed to be doing, which only makes ankle injuries inevitable. Without a smarter/better staff, this is going to keep happening (and may continue to get more serious).

Soft tissue injuries are the preventable kind of injuries, and they seem to be the type that nags us the most, season after season. This is the 2nd straight season of Lonzo missing 30+ games to soft tissue injury. Hart has had knee tendinitis all year. Ingram missed 23 games last year.

D'Angelo Russell, a guy who's body just seems a longshot to survive a full NBA season, hasn't missed a game this year in Brooklyn, where the medical staff has evolved to one of renown.

brovo, excellent post. it's a shame our ownership is in the business of rewarding loyalty rather than hiring best of the business.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Why do we suffer multiple injuries almost every year? Why are we so devistated by them that we can't make the playoffs as a result?

That's what an innovative FO would try to answer instead of saying we were just unlucky this season, let's try it again the same way next year.

Rondo has missed games on other teams. What magical thing would a non-"mom and pop" franchise do to protect the bone he broke in his dominant hand?
What about Lonzo's rolled ankle? Do other "innovative" teams have a special type of magical tape (to put on ankles) that our "poor" FO can't afford?
Oh, and please tell me about Ingram's blood clot. What would a non-Laker FO have done to predict his condition?

Your comment makes sense on a shallow level. But when you actually look into the injuries suffered. Your comment doesn't make sense.

Also, we suffered injuries when Mitch and Jim ran the FO too. When Vitti was in charge of the medical staff. We've had turnover. So can't really blame the current FO and medical staff, for past Lakers injuries that happened before they were there.

A non "mom and pop" franchise would still look at 32 year old rondo and say that's not enough. They would add another reliable PG, not lance stephenson or michael beasley. BKN did this when they signed Napier despite having a quality starter/backup because of how important it is to their success.

The magical tape good FO's would have done for lonzo is identification. Before his latest one, lonzo had suffered multiple injuries which mean something was already wrong. A good FO would try to decrease lonzo's chances of an injury by identifyng a possible cause and having the medical staff do a targeted approach. We've seen success through someone like myles turner. Before the draft, many felt turner would be injury prone due to his gait. By targeting specific muscles and improving his gait, he's had a healthy career so far.

Ingram's injury is neglible to discuss because the season was already lost when it happened at that point.

Of couse my comment doesn't make sense to you since all you can think about is how the lakers are unlucky this season due to injuries. That's the real show comment and exemplifies the "mom and pop" criticism that many others like windhorst are pointing out.

We've suffered injuries that derailed our season during the mitch/vitti days. We've suffered them this year and last with our current staff and we will likely suffer them again next season. Are you going to be pulling the same song dance next year when lebron, lonzo, BI plus with whoever we add miss multiple games while failing to make the playoffs for the 7th straight year?

At some point you have to admit something is an issue and try to address it. Teams like the clippers or pacers haven't lost a beat despite losing their best player so why can't the lakers be the same?

If we're suffering injuries, then find out why we continue to suffer them. If we can't prevent them, then try to minimize their impact by being strong in other areas. Lonzo being out due to injury should not be the difference bewteen the lakers winning and losing games like the hawks, pelicans, grizz and suns.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Why do we suffer multiple injuries almost every year? Why are we so devistated by them that we can't make the playoffs as a result?

That's what an innovative FO would try to answer instead of saying we were just unlucky this season, let's try it again the same way next year.

Rondo has missed games on other teams. What magical thing would a non-"mom and pop" franchise do to protect the bone he broke in his dominant hand?
What about Lonzo's rolled ankle? Do other "innovative" teams have a special type of magical tape (to put on ankles) that our "poor" FO can't afford?
Oh, and please tell me about Ingram's blood clot. What would a non-Laker FO have done to predict his condition?

Your comment makes sense on a shallow level. But when you actually look into the injuries suffered. Your comment doesn't make sense.

Also, we suffered injuries when Mitch and Jim ran the FO too. When Vitti was in charge of the medical staff. We've had turnover. So can't really blame the current FO and medical staff, for past Lakers injuries that happened before they were there.

A non "mom and pop" franchise would still look at 32 year old rondo and say that's not enough. They would add another reliable PG, not lance stephenson or michael beasley. BKN did this when they signed Napier despite having a quality starter/backup because of how important it is to their success.

The magical tape good FO's would have done for lonzo is identification. Before his latest one, lonzo had suffered multiple injuries which mean something was already wrong. A good FO would try to decrease lonzo's chances of an injury by identifyng a possible cause and having the medical staff do a targeted approach. We've seen success through someone like myles turner. Before the draft, many felt turner would be injury prone due to his gait. By targeting specific muscles and improving his gait, he's had a healthy career so far.

Ingram's injury is neglible to discuss because the season was already lost when it happened at that point.

Of couse my comment doesn't make sense to you since all you can think about is how the lakers are unlucky this season due to injuries. That's the real show comment and exemplifies the "mom and pop" criticism that many others like windhorst are pointing out.

We've suffered injuries that derailed our season during the mitch/vitti days. We've suffered them this year and last with our current staff and we will likely suffer them again next season. Are you going to be pulling the same song dance next year when lebron, lonzo, BI plus with whoever we add miss multiple games while failing to make the playoffs for the 7th straight year?

At some point you have to admit something is an issue and try to address it. Teams like the clippers or pacers haven't lost a beat despite losing their best player so why can't the lakers be the same?

If we're suffering injuries, then find out why we continue to suffer them. If we can't prevent them, then try to minimize their impact by being strong in other areas. Lonzo being out due to injury should not be the difference bewteen the lakers winning and losing games like the hawks, pelicans, grizz and suns.

get ready for the UCLA health name to be thrown as why our medical/training staff is top of the line
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KBH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KBH wrote:

So it's frustrating for me to see that the Lakers may be trying to cut corners and rush through the process rather than having the patience to really build something sustainable.

I have mixed feelings about this. Because basketball only plays 5 guys at a time, a star can be more impactful than in other sports. You can go from bad or mediocre to champions in a year or two with smart moves. So that isn't an unreasonable approach.

Also, I'm not sure if I buy the idea of thinking about "sustainable" in the modern NBA. Stars have more outs in their contract and are more likely to leave than in the past, so the notion of building a team that is meant to stick together for 7 to 10 years seems less likely to me.

I think you have to be smart and flexible because things change fast. And only 1 out of 30 teams wins a ring each year and only 2 of 30 get to the finals. So no matter what approach you take the likelihood of failure is much higher than the likelihood of success.

Well, of course. The difference to me is it seems our only plan for success is swinging for home runs. Home runs are great, but you're not going to be great on offense if that's what your approach revolves around. Singles, doubles, sacrifice bunts all count, too. The small moves matter too and developing things with a long-term view matters. You can look at the mid-90s Lakers as an example. Or the Rockets who managed to go from losing Yao and T-Mac to a semi-rebuild to their Harden-led teams without ever bottoming out (for consecutive seasons too). Daryl Morey's Rockets remained competitive and accumulated assets to acquire Harden and CP3. The Clippers appear to be attempting to do the same thing. It's possible (probable) like you said that neither of these teams win a title. But you probably can't win a title without building a functional team and organizations that value things in the macro (star chasing) and the micro (small moves for effective role players, asset accumulation). So it seems even more improbable for a team that is willing to burn assets solely in service to the macro to win a title? Could it be done? Sure. But I'd say the approach that accounts for the big picture and the granular is more likely to yield a better result.

But look at the teams you're praising. The Clippers have never made it past the second round in their franchise history. The Rockets haven't made the finals in 20 years. These teams may never have bottomed out for a long time during the regular season in the past decade, but it's not like anyone envies their success or think they have a model to follow.

I'm not envious of their success, and I've already said that their approach MAY not get a ring (because like you said and I acknowledge, most teams won't win a title). But I am saying that their current approaches take a longer view with a more granular approach. Which tends to lead teams to success more often than not. Same goes for the Rockets. And you'll notice I also mentioned the mid-90s Lakers who are led by the same guy who is leading the Clippers now. And if I were to be envious, it would be because the current Lakers approach of only looking at the macro and not the micro resulted in signing a top 3 player and probably not even hitting .500.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

What the players did going forward was lose game after game while displaying a lack of chemistry. But I'm sure you've got some rosy soon for this too.

What team were you watching? BI played his best basketball of the season after the rumors, Kuzma was his usual self and dropped the big 39-point game against Philadelphia. If anything, the failings down the stretch point more toward the shortcomings of the "veterans" on the team more so than anything to do with the young players, although I understand that's a convenient excuse for the agenda you're trying to push here.

So you're Lakers were playing good ball after the trade? Kuzma and BI playing well (on one side of the ball) are not the whole team. You're being purposely obtuse.

Did I say that? No. The topic at hand is whether or not the young players "gave up" on the season after the trade rumors. I said they didn't. I never said the team as a whole played good basketball. Try to keep up.

Try to keep up with reality. Magic didn't hold a team meeting for no reason no matter how hard you tie yourself in knots to argue that it wasn't necessary. Good kool-aid.

You are still confused. Nobody is denying the reason Magic held the meeting. There may have been hurt feelings because of the rumors. Let's assume there were.

The question at hand here, is DID THE YOUNG PLAYERS GIVE UP ON THE SEASON? That's what we're discussing here, KBH. So, it's irrelevant what the meeting was about, because I would contend that the young players, in fact, did not give up on the season going forward.

Did the team as a whole play great basketball after the rumors? No, but that's not what we're discussing here. We're discussing how it affected the young players.

Besides that, you know what, they weren't playing great basketball BEFORE the trade rumors either. We had only won 7 of our last 19 games before the first news reports leaked of our trade offer for AD. So yeah, we played a little bit worse after all that started, but this thing was going off the rails long before that with injuries and the vets stinking up the joint. Trying to blame it all on the trade rumors is just a simplistic, agenda-driven view of the big picture.

Who was out hurt before before the AD stuff? Who was out hurt after the AD stuff? Who is still out hurt now?

I consider Josh hart to be hurt. i still dont know why they havent made him sit down yet. its clear as day he's trying to be a good soldier. but the guy aint right and he's not looking good out there so might as well sit it down.

Before: LeBron, Ball, Rondo

After: Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Ingram.

This is the biggest reason for the collapse down the stretch (that began well before any trade rumors). Not hurt feelings and players "giving up."
Thank you very much. The real reason the media will not tell you this. even though now they are slowly admitting that the injuries are the #1 reason. then they say but i thought lebron would lead this team after the allstar break and after he came back from injury. remember playoff mode. LBJ is good, very good. maybe when he was younger and not hurt. he may have kobe'd us and drug us to the playoffs. MAYBE. but the truth is, this team is really bad without the guys you mentioned because its not a full roster, and then you get older rondo and what are you going to do over play him and have him burn out? so you play a borderline d-league guy in caruso who hasnt played with you all season just about, same with Jonathan williams and anyone else you have to fill in space for due to the injuries. it's one thing to drag other so so rosters into the playoffs in the weak east. but to drag a piece meal roster with half your guys out, into the playoffs in the west. probably not going to happen.

if you admit this is the #1, main reason and the hell with any of that other stuff. you wont have a radio show until this summer, you wont have anything to say about the lakers until the lottery balls drop and again..this summer to see if we will get another top FA or not. The media has to use all of these narratives in order to have something to talk about when it comes to the lakers.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
Not that any fan opinion matters, but putting together a roster that works really shouldn't be that hard.

Every team has 2-3 players who are "must starts". Then, there are the 4-5 secondary players that only need to be "Derek Fisher type" guys in order to fill out a competent roster. For those role players, hustle and BBIQ can make up for myriad physical shortcomings given the coaching staff gets the combinations right. Lakers FO really should be looking at "value" guys instead of "names".

Again, who cares what I think, but here are several NON STARTERS (ignoring availability and contract cost) that fill roles very well and can contribute in a meaningful way to TEAM wins:
    Guards - Rozier, Dellavedova, Ish Smith, George Hill (semi-starter), Ntilikina, Patty Mills, Patrick Beverly (semi-starter), VanVleet, JJ Barea (assuming health), Cory Joseph, Josh Hart (notice he is not a power forward?), LaVert, Nwaba, Gary Harris, Lou Williams (semi-starter), Belinelli, Korver
    Forwards - Sefolosha, David Bertans, Bogdanovic (both of them), Oubre, Markieff Morris, Snell, Olynyk, Looney, Faried, Iggy (of course), Cheick Diallo, Ed Davis, Gerald Green, Dekker, llysova. Honorable Mention -Jonathan Williams and Moe Wagner (will be soon)
    Centers - Richaun Holmes, Noel (this year), Zubac, Montrezl Harrell, Jordan Bell, Zizic, Baynes, Len

So, I intentionally left off all of the starters on teams and players that seem to disappear when on the court. Assuming you can already afford your existing 2-3 "must starts", FA money is easily spent on another 2-3 "starters" to finish the "5". From there, you have a couple of bench keepers and a couple of the above and you're done. Make adjustments throughout the season for injuries and possible upgrade trades. It's really not that hard, IMO....

An example of MEANINGFUL players who potentially would be obtainable for 2019-2020:
    Lonzo, (10M 2-3 YR FA $$ Beverly/Rozier), Ish Smith
    (15M 2-3 YR FA $$ Middleton/Bogdonvic), Retain Bullock over cap, Hart
    Ingram (or trade him to reduce FA $$), Kuz (needs to be off the bench anyway), Gerald Green
    LBJ, Wagner, Dekker
    (1 YR 10M OVERPAY FA $$ - Boogie/Jordan/JaVale), (Lesser FA $$ - Noel/Holmes/Ed Davis)

This wouldn't be the "2 max plan" but all these dudes can play and are complements to LBJ. It also retains the kids and if you are careful with the contract structures, it still allows for a somewhat realistic path to Anthony Davis if available.

Something like this, to me, makes WAY more sense than gutting the roster and swinging for the fences anyway...

i'll say this again. I think i'm going to start asking for Lake fan credentials with a time stamp with when you became a laker fan and how long have you remained a laker fan. did you know anything about Doc buss, Mitch, Jerry west, etc? I need this information to understand why do you supposed long time fans(i believe you guys are), keep talking about building just a solid portland like team? When has the lakers ever shot for that? NEVER. EVER, NEVER. So why all of a sudden that magic and rob are running the show all of a sudden we want to go the portland route that has never worked for them I may add. unless you think working for you is just getting into the playoffs.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
i'll say this again. I think i'm going to start asking for Lake fan credentials with a time stamp with when you became a laker fan and how long have you remained a laker fan.

I'm convinced that a lot of these folks are paid Trolls (no, I do not have a shred of proof) who are pushing an agenda. I just cannot figure out their end game.

In any event, a look at Lakers history:

Wilt
Goodrich
Abdul-Jabbar
Wilkes
Magic
Worthy
McAdoo
Scott
Thompson
Kobe
Shaq
HoGrant
Rice
Hunter
Odom
Gasol
Artest
Ariza

Only two guys on this list were drafted by the Lakers (Magic & Worthy) - and the picks that we used to draft them (#1 overall in their respective drafts) were acquired via trade or as compensation.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
Not that any fan opinion matters, but putting together a roster that works really shouldn't be that hard.

Every team has 2-3 players who are "must starts". Then, there are the 4-5 secondary players that only need to be "Derek Fisher type" guys in order to fill out a competent roster. For those role players, hustle and BBIQ can make up for myriad physical shortcomings given the coaching staff gets the combinations right. Lakers FO really should be looking at "value" guys instead of "names".

Again, who cares what I think, but here are several NON STARTERS (ignoring availability and contract cost) that fill roles very well and can contribute in a meaningful way to TEAM wins:
    Guards - Rozier, Dellavedova, Ish Smith, George Hill (semi-starter), Ntilikina, Patty Mills, Patrick Beverly (semi-starter), VanVleet, JJ Barea (assuming health), Cory Joseph, Josh Hart (notice he is not a power forward?), LaVert, Nwaba, Gary Harris, Lou Williams (semi-starter), Belinelli, Korver
    Forwards - Sefolosha, David Bertans, Bogdanovic (both of them), Oubre, Markieff Morris, Snell, Olynyk, Looney, Faried, Iggy (of course), Cheick Diallo, Ed Davis, Gerald Green, Dekker, llysova. Honorable Mention -Jonathan Williams and Moe Wagner (will be soon)
    Centers - Richaun Holmes, Noel (this year), Zubac, Montrezl Harrell, Jordan Bell, Zizic, Baynes, Len

So, I intentionally left off all of the starters on teams and players that seem to disappear when on the court. Assuming you can already afford your existing 2-3 "must starts", FA money is easily spent on another 2-3 "starters" to finish the "5". From there, you have a couple of bench keepers and a couple of the above and you're done. Make adjustments throughout the season for injuries and possible upgrade trades. It's really not that hard, IMO....

An example of MEANINGFUL players who potentially would be obtainable for 2019-2020:
    Ingram (or trade him to reduce FA $$), Kuz (needs to be off the bench anyway), Gerald Green
    LBJ, Wagner, Dekker
    (1 YR 10M OVERPAY FA $$ - Boogie/Jordan/JaVale), (Lesser FA $$ - Noel/Holmes/Ed Davis)

This wouldn't be the "2 max plan" but all these dudes can play and are complements to LBJ. It also retains the kids and if you are careful with the contract structures, it still allows for a somewhat realistic path to Anthony Davis if available.

Something like this, to me, makes WAY more sense than gutting the roster and swinging for the fences anyway...

i'll say this again. I think i'm going to start asking for Lake fan credentials with a time stamp with when you became a laker fan and how long have you remained a laker fan. did you know anything about Doc buss, Mitch, Jerry west, etc? I need this information to understand why do you supposed long time fans(i believe you guys are), keep talking about building just a solid portland like team? When has the lakers ever shot for that? NEVER. EVER, NEVER. So why all of a sudden that magic and rob are running the show all of a sudden we want to go the portland route that has never worked for them I may add. unless you think working for you is just getting into the playoffs.

People now dismiss wanting stars and championships as "Laker exceptionalism." The quest for mediocrity is the order of the day.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

LBJ, Wagner, Dekker

What kind of team attracted Shaq to the Lakers? A very solid Portland-like team, not a lottery team. You usually have to walk before you can run.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

LBJ, Wagner, Dekker

People now dismiss wanting stars and championships as "Laker exceptionalism." The quest for mediocrity is the order of the day.

Laker exceptionalism was buried with Dr. Buss. There isn’t much exceptional about this organization. We will have rebuild the same way that every other team does.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bol wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

LBJ, Wagner, Dekker

Laker exceptionalism was buried with Dr. Buss. There isn’t much exceptional about this organization. We will have rebuild the same way that every other team does.

Been a fan and continue to watch both good and bad rosters every year (paying extra $$ on my cable bill) for over 30 years. Building a competitive roster AND retaining the ability to ADD stars is not mutually exclusive. In fact, maintaining a value based roster facilitates getting the stars when available. Exceptionalism follows whenever a front office can maintain that philosophy over time (The Spurs, I think, have done pretty well balancing these two things over time with both drafting and roster assets).

Is it really too hard, a bad plan or too much to ask for the Laker owners to always focus available assets/cap to get and retain players that objectively add value by filling a role? Percieved value for player contract was always important but now that more teams can realistically draw talent equal to the larger markets, it is vital to not overpay. Roster value and cap management are the only real path that allows a team to make moves for stars when they do become available. The name on the front and large market side benefits are nice influencers, but not the end all be all for the premium players anymore.

I just don’t see it as an “either or” approach and you would think that all the teams - especially the Lakers - would be not adopt a maximum $$ contract structure only approach. The best possible team “plan” is one that produces a competitive, financially flexible team and the best intangibles are large market, respected/stable management, with at least 1 of the top 5 players already signed. Lakers only have some of that. They need all of it.

Don’t get me wrong I do agree you gotta have THE stars nowadays to compete for a championship, but the other things are just as important to getting (and staying) there, IMO....
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

It's worse than that. They actively want the team to fail in hopes that the family will either bring back Jimmy Buss or vote to sell the team to spite Jeanie.

DLO, Randle, Ingram: all were holdovers from the Jim Buss regime, so those who are gone (DLO & Randle) are venerated and stand as proof that had Jimmy been given enough time, the Master Plan would have fallen in place. BI is the last, best hope to redeem the reputation of the former regime.

When the former regime was in power (and had cap space), top tier FAs openly dismissed the Lakers . . . but the narrative was it was "Jeanie's fault," she screwed up the presentation, etc., and we threw cap space away on MozDeng.

Once the former regime was deposed and cap space was created, the best available FA since Shaq signs with us . . . and the new narrative is "well, he was coming anyway!"

So it's not a quest for mediocrity as much as it is a focus to denigrate any ideas/actions/accomplishments made by the new regime. Much like the GOP's sole focus from 2009-2016 was to block anything Obama tried to do, the focus for many here is to bash Maginka/Jeanie, regardless of what they do.

If the Lakers get Klay, KD & Kawhi to come and sign for the minimum this summer, the Agenda will be to find fault and put it on Jeanie. If the team goes 82-0 in the regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs, the refrain will likely be "they lost too many preseason games!"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bol wrote:

It's worse than that. They actively want the team to fail in hopes that the family will either bring back Jimmy Buss or vote to sell the team to spite Jeanie.

DLO, Randle, Ingram: all were holdovers from the Jim Buss regime, so those who are gone (DLO & Randle) are venerated and stand as proof that had Jimmy been given enough time, the Master Plan would have fallen in place. BI is the last, best hope to redeem the reputation of the former regime.

When the former regime was in power (and had cap space), top tier FAs openly dismissed the Lakers . . . but the narrative was it was "Jeanie's fault," she screwed up the presentation, etc., and we threw cap space away on MozDeng.

Once the former regime was deposed and cap space was created, the best available FA since Shaq signs with us . . . and the new narrative is "well, he was coming anyway!"

So it's not a quest for mediocrity as much as it is a focus to denigrate any ideas/actions/accomplishments made by the new regime. Much like the GOP's sole focus from 2009-2016 was to block anything Obama tried to do, the focus for many here is to bash Maginka/Jeanie, regardless of what they do.

If the Lakers get Klay, KD & Kawhi to come and sign for the minimum this summer, the Agenda will be to find fault and put it on Jeanie. If the team goes 82-0 in the regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs, the refrain will likely be "they lost too many preseason games!"

This is way too general.

As you are aware, I was a big Mitch fan. But I hated the Moz/Deng signing and was open to change.

I hated Magic's first move to jettison DLO (and still do), and was upset at letting Jules/Brook go. But I've pledged to wait until the summer to render full judgment.

That being said, it should be open season to judge their moves. They thankfully have not made any Moz/Deng level moves by signing bottom tier FAs to long term deals, but they have also made many questionable moves. That should be fair game for criticism and judgment. To call those who are questioning these moves as rooting for the team to fail is really unfair.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

LBJ, Wagner, Dekker

What kind of team attracted Shaq to the Lakers? A very solid Portland-like team, not a lottery team. You usually have to walk before you can run.

This is the point people are missing while talking about mediocrity being the order of the day. Mediocrity would actually be an improvement for this franchise that hasn't won more than 35 games since 2013.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:

This is the point people are missing while talking about mediocrity being the order of the day. Mediocrity would actually be an improvement for this franchise that hasn't won more than 35 games since 2013.

People really expect a 6 year lottery team to vault immediately into championship status.

That's the problem.

The lack of process. Getting 2 max FAs is a means, not the ends.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bol wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

LBJ, Wagner, Dekker

Says who? this kind of scared logic is the reason why we would've never won anything with you running the FO in the 80's or the early 00's.

all this anger about the lakers. but no one cares that the clippers and jerry west traded away Tobias harris. who is at the moment better than all of our young guys and he's still young. you guys see that, they gave up on a very very good young player for what? For a SHOT at an addtl max slot
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Windhorst is a fat tub of lard

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
all this anger about the lakers. but no one cares that the clippers and jerry west traded away Tobias harris. who is at the moment better than all of our young guys and he's still young. you guys see that, they gave up on a very very good young player for what? For a SHOT at an addtl max slot

That goes against their narrative. It's like in politics:

Politician: "We wholeheartedly support Measure X!"

Reporter: "Your opponent also supports Measure X."

Same Politician: "Measure X is the worst idea in the history of humankind!"

Maginka trades a solid young guy to move a bad contract and create capspace - "Magic lacks the necessities to run a front office."

West does the same thing - "The Logo is a genius and his moves are not to be questioned!"
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

Maginka trades a solid young guy to move a bad contract and create capspace - "Magic lacks the necessities to run a front office."

West does the same thing - "The Logo is a genius and his moves are not to be questioned!"

I've noticed this. I can only imagine a certain number of guys here who would be FUMING at trading away a pretty good player like Tobias because they didn't want to pay him, yet the Clippers are geniuses from the future essentially copying our blueprint lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bol wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:

LBJ, Wagner, Dekker

Says who? this kind of scared logic is the reason why we would've never won anything with you running the FO in the 80's or the early 00's.

Of course we don’t care, we aren’t Clipper fans. Duh! Though they are a lot more entertaining to watch.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

Apples and oranges. West is considered one of the best GMs ever, Magic got us more lottery seasons. Any sane person would give West more slack. And though he is just a part time consultant, he spends more time in the “office” than Magic does.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

I've noticed this. I can only imagine a certain number of guys here who would be FUMING at trading away a pretty good player like Tobias because they didn't want to pay him, yet the Clippers are geniuses from the future essentially copying our blueprint lol

Not really because of how the tobias trade was handled along with the haul, especially when compared with the DLO trade.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Yes, if we got talent like Shamet and Zubac from the DLO trade it would have made much more sense. Lopez was a good get until our FO turned their backs on him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: