College Admissions Scandal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
It would've been cheaper and less embarrassing to hire a tutor for your kid.

that requires effort on both the parents and childs part. Did you watch any of those Instagram (?) video's they have been showing of Lori Loughlin's daughter? She was not going to give that effort.

In other news, her daughter (Olivia Jade Giannulli) is clearly a 19 year old spoiled brat.....but she is on track to being a straight up smoke show.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I would assume if you have 500K to throw around just to get your kid in the door, you would not have to go through some black market fraud scheme like this for USC. Just call up a few higher ups about the donation you are giving, let some time pass, and then tell them your kid is applying.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
It would've been cheaper and less embarrassing to hire a tutor for your kid.

that requires effort on both the parents and childs part. Did you watch any of those Instagram (?) video's they have been showing of Lori Loughlin's daughter? She was not going to give that effort.

In other news, her daughter (Olivia Jade Giannulli) is clearly a 19 year old spoiled brat.....but she is on track to being a straight up smoke show.

Yep that's a given unfortunately that being said she doesn't dispel the celeb kids are spoiled brats stereotype that's out there. Even though there are other celeb kids that manage to be decent people.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It’s hard to get worked up about this.
just because we're used to the abuse doesnt mean we should just go "oh well" and throw our hands up in the air.

Wait, who was abused? Kids getting into colleges when they probably don’t belong is hardly one of the great evils we face today.

Quote:
“Professor Kelley told me 100 times over three decades that ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had,'” DiPrima wrote for the Daily Kos

https://www.studyinternational.com/news/trump-student-wharton/

The one thing it does is perpetuate class privilege and nepotism which need to be eased on out of our gene pool/cultural thinking.

Do the kids also cheat in school and then graduate being unqualified to complete the responsibilities of their degree but pushed along through society via wealth and influence

Bush Jr
Trump and his children

all defective in compassion and humanity/humility
Quote:
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I would assume if you have 500K to throw around just to get your kid in the door, you would not have to go through some black market fraud scheme like this for USC. Just call up a few higher ups about the donation you are giving, let some time pass, and then tell them your kid is applying.

They probably thought they're saving some $$$ by taking Singer's "side door" route. According to complaint [page 87], the USC Athletic Director at the time (Pat Haden?) had purportedly remarked to Singer that he felt Lori Loughlin/Mossimo Giannulli would've been "good for a million plus." That elicited a "HAH!" from Mossimo.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I would think if you were rich, a donation like land, new facilities, scholarships, or new equipment would also benefit all students on campus, putting you in good graces with the administrators and people in charge of admissions.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
What’s the illegal part, Fake grades and fake athletic qualifications?

Isn’t this the same thing as big donation to school and get ur kids in? For private school, can’t be too upset this is happening. Public schools, absolutely

Maybe on ethical grounds but big donations provide funding for college curriculums and scholarships. In an ironic twist, I guess the Varsity Blues scam was also stealing from the big donors by taking scholarships reserved for the people who deserve them.

I've seen this argument but I've never seen anyone actually pull what percentage of, say, Harvard's endowment comes specifically from legacy parents who otherwise wouldn't have donated if they didn't think it'd get their kid in.

Because if that number is 1% then I'd rather not give those spots to spoiled brats. But if it's 85% then it's probably a necessary evil.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if these parents who were paying Rick Singer for his services via donations to his phony charity were claiming those contributions on their taxes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I wonder if these parents who were paying Rick Singer for his services via donations to his phony charity were claiming those contributions on their taxes.

That's exactly what he was telling them to do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

TMZ reports Lori's daughters are leaving USC....probably for the best since they were there for the wrong reasons.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
TMZ reports Lori's daughters are leaving USC....probably for the best since they were there for the wrong reasons.

That, and their life on campus would have been miserable for them and a compete distraction for everyone else.

It also sounds like the girls will not be looking to transfer elsewhere either, for obvious reasons.

So, through their parents insistence that their kids (who wanted no meaningful part of going to college in the first place) get into a high profile school, the kids have been humiliated, the parents disgraced and the options for the kids getting a higher education have been greatly diminished.

Being a parent of a high school senior, my wife, daughter and I have been weighing options while watching other parents go through the process. It's been eye opening to me watching all the needless stress, effort and expense people spend on a decision and process that is nowhere near as life defining as some people have convinced themselves it is . . . well unless of course you get caught cheating and bribing your child's way in.

So unbelievably stupid, vain and counter productive.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That, and their life on campus would have been miserable for them and a compete distraction for everyone else.

It also sounds like the girls will not be looking to transfer elsewhere either, for obvious reasons.

So, through their parents insistence that their kids (who wanted no meaningful part of going to college in the first place) get into a high profile school, the kids have been humiliated, the parents disgraced and the options for the kids getting a higher education have been greatly diminished.

Being a parent of a high school senior, my wife, daughter and I have been weighing options while watching other parents go through the process. It's been eye opening to me watching all the needless stress, effort and expense people spend on a decision and process that is nowhere near as life defining as some people have convinced themselves it is . . . well unless of course you get caught cheating and bribing your child's way in.

So unbelievably stupid, vain and counter productive.

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

My wife went to Brown for her PhD and the behavior of undergrad kids and their parents there was pretty shocking. Parents threatening to sue the school if their grades weren’t changed for the better, or alternately offering to donate to the school in exchange for better grades. There is already grade inflation in the Ivy League schools, but it was pretty disgusting to see how this works in that world.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Why the need to jump thru hoops since so many people were in on it. Yo, here's a grip of money with the normal signatures and done.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Being a parent of a high school senior, my wife, daughter and I have been weighing options while watching other parents go through the process. It's been eye opening to me watching all the needless stress, effort and expense people spend on a decision and process that is nowhere near as life defining as some people have convinced themselves it is . . .
So what alternative mindset or set of values are you hoping your daughter embraces in in this context, specifically, to avoid this needless stuff, or what are you trying exactly to teach her for this stage?
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LOL. People are acting shocked. People have been paying to get into USC forever now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Being a parent of a high school senior, my wife, daughter and I have been weighing options while watching other parents go through the process. It's been eye opening to me watching all the needless stress, effort and expense people spend on a decision and process that is nowhere near as life defining as some people have convinced themselves it is . . .
So what alternative mindset or set of values are you hoping your daughter embraces in in this context, specifically, to avoid this needless stuff, or what are you trying exactly to teach her for this stage?

After much discussion and soul searching, my daughter has elected to take some time and go the route of community college to get her general ed out of the way while she figures out what she wants to do and where. Then in a couple of years will transfer to a university with a better sense of navigating her path.

It's the way I did it and it worked out very well for me.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

After much discussion and soul searching, my daughter has elected to take some time and go the route of community college to get her general ed out of the way while she figures out what she wants to do and where. Then in a couple of years will transfer to a university with a better sense of navigating her path.

Me too.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Me too.
Is this a postponement then? I am not saying it's not valid, but is that the difference, that she will with two years more of self-knowledge be better equipped to make such decisions? Or is there more to what you convey about the process of determining her course? I wish I had travelled straight out of high school for two years meself.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Me too.
Is this a postponement then? I am not saying it's not valid, but is that the difference, that she will with two years more of self-knowledge be better equipped to make such decisions? Or is there more to what you convey about the process of determining her course? I wish I had travelled straight out of high school for two years meself.

Not a postponement. I got a great education for my two years of community college. I even got to go away for it and have the “college experience.” I didn’t really take academics seriously until I graduated high school. A lot of those CC courses turned my brain on, so to speak, and had me engaged for the first time. I found the coursework to be just as challenging as it was when I transferred to the 4 year University I had wanted. Plus, my diploma doesn’t look any different than the one people got who were there for 4 years instead of 2 (and they paid a lot more money )
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Me too.

See, you say "postponement" as if there is a hard and fast point in time and fashion that one has to make such a decision. And that totally illustrates what I was speaking about. This idea that a life "determining" decision has to be made at a specific point in time in order to dictate the rest of ones future is really silly and not productive. Sure, it works for some because they my be ready mentally and emotionally. Others simply "make it work" because they feel they have to. And then there are others who for a variety of reasons should really be holding off.

Way too many parents stick to the antiquated notion that there is a single time and manner in which ones goes about the entrance to early adulthood. I think it is a mistake, and one that manifests itself in situations like this.

My path was much different than even the one my daughter is taking. I took a couple years off completely and went and lived in the mountains and skied. I was 21 before I was enrolled full time in a CC and 23 when I started my time at University. As a result, I was a much more mature, focused and enthused student and it paid huge dividends that I know I wouldn't have experienced had I gone straight to University a few months after my senior year.

So no. I don't see it as a postponement at all. Any more than someone who gets married later in life is postponing something that others do early in their adulthood. It's doing something at a point that makes the most sense for the individual and circumstances.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
focus wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Me too.

Not a postponement. I got a great education for my two years of community college. I even got to go away for it and have the “college experience.” I didn’t really take academics seriously until I graduated high school. A lot of those CC courses turned my brain on, so to speak, and had me engaged for the first time. I found the coursework to be just as challenging as it was when I transferred to the 4 year University I had wanted. Plus, my diploma doesn’t look any different than the one people got who were there for 4 years instead of 2 (and they paid a lot more money )
Is it easy to transfer from cc to where you want these days, given solid cc grades or whatever?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ocho wrote:
focus wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Me too.

Is it easy to transfer from cc to where you want these days, given solid cc grades or whatever?

The CC I went to had a feeder system into the University. Kinda like a sister school. I’m not sure if they still do or where other ones exist. You had to meet a certain GPA requirement to transfer.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Pretty much every UC has a "sister" CC that feeds the school. Do well and you are a virtual lock for admission. I think that's true of most universities, including the harvard's and yale's of the world.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

I'm also curious to hear about which specific schools people are talking about here. Personally, I have never heard of people transferring from community colleges to Yale/Harvard/etc and having their CC credits count the same as credits from those schools.

With that said, parents are paying this much to bribe their kids' way into these schools for a reason. Obviously, you can make it without going to one of the "elite" schools, but the path (and the number of paths) available make it easier to build your career after having graduated from one. Here's a simple reason (among others) why: many/most of the people working at top companies have graduated from these schools, so there is an inherent bias to hire candidates from their alma maters. These parents have somewhat diluted the value of the degrees at these schools (good or bad thing depending on your perspective) by bribing their kids through the admission process.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: