Ramona Shelburne was on ESPN LA Radio today and I highlighted some key points below:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:
So they lost Brooke because they wanted Beasley or they wanted Beasley because they were losing Randle? Didn't quite get that part.

beasley as randle light with a jumper. was only going to play spot mins, randle would've deserved real mins. but lebron is our superstar randle. no real room for him and ju together. they both love going inside and neither of them have a consistent jumper. beasley can actually shoot a bit and he was only going to play a few mins.

its funny that luke wanted lopez back when he didnt like to post lopez up enough.

1980 says hey

I seriously question anyone who thinks Beez replaced what Jules brought to the table.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
I just realized something. I bet you with 100% certainty, the Lakers got played by Mintz. This "favor" to free Randle, I bet you there were somehow Paul George expectations tied into that decision making process.

But wow! Brook Lopez was an all-star, prior to the Lakers at least, and a person that was capable of commanding $20 million a year. When you had an actual shot at signing him for the same amount you gave a career journeyman, you decide to go with the journeyman. Unbelievable. Fast forward, you waste your most promising big to get back the stretch 5 you lost in Brook, another guy who is or will be a journeyman in this league in Muscala.

Rookies at the helm, no other ways to put it.

Paul George signed 30 mins in free agency. Randle was release later.

I don't think there is connection there.

But I hate Pelinka and his doing favors to other agents nonsense. They had 2 1sts offer for Lou Williams and we traded him to Houston cause that's where Lou wanted to go and we took on 7m salary on top of that

George changed his mind after the Lakers (very publicly) changed theirs. So often that is not factored into the narrative.

Lakers were targeting George as the marquee signing for months. Then they get an indication that James actually was serious about joining the Lakers and the narrative with George became an afterthought.

Suddenly the message went from "you are our coveted franchise player" to "you should come and carry James bags to the bus". And you wonder why he chose OKC?

The Randle decision was just plain stupid. Same as the Muscala trade. Or the Lopez decision. FO is living off the "We signed James" mantra. The other moves highly questionable. Arguably the overall state of the Lakers is worse then last year. Awesome job!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
I just realized something. I bet you with 100% certainty, the Lakers got played by Mintz. This "favor" to free Randle, I bet you there were somehow Paul George expectations tied into that decision making process.

But wow! Brook Lopez was an all-star, prior to the Lakers at least, and a person that was capable of commanding $20 million a year. When you had an actual shot at signing him for the same amount you gave a career journeyman, you decide to go with the journeyman. Unbelievable. Fast forward, you waste your most promising big to get back the stretch 5 you lost in Brook, another guy who is or will be a journeyman in this league in Muscala.

But I hate Pelinka and his doing favors to other agents nonsense. They had 2 1sts offer for Lou Williams and we traded him to Houston cause that's where Lou wanted to go and we took on 7m salary on top of that

George changed his mind after the Lakers (very publicly) changed theirs. So often that is not factored into the narrative.

Lakers were targeting George as the marquee signing for months. Then they get an indication that James actually was serious about joining the Lakers and the narrative with George became an afterthought.

Suddenly the message went from "you are our coveted franchise player" to "you should come and carry James bags to the bus". And you wonder why he chose OKC?

The Randle decision was just plain stupid. Same as the Muscala trade. Or the Lopez decision. FO is living off the "We signed James" mantra. The other moves highly questionable. Arguably the overall state of the Lakers is worse then last year. Awesome job!

I disagree.

I highly doubt PG13 is coming here by himself. He's complained about the Pacers not being able to attract all star talent alongside him. So it makes sense that he simply was convinced by OKC/WB to stay.

If you watch his ESPN documentary or have followed him (I did up until he signed with OKC this summer), he's a fickle and easily influenced guy. I just think WB must have pulled off a hell of a recruiting pitch to PG13.

I know you and others want to blame LBJ for everything, but PG13 IMO was more than just about LBJ. I remember KIROE telling us that he thought the PG13/WB bond was real and would be a big factor in re-signing there. I think KIROE was 100% right about that.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

I'm 100% sure PG's decision has to do with him loving OKC/Westbrook than something the Lakers did.

Keep in mind he had other great situations that would've wanted him (like Philadelphia) and he didn't even hear anyone. Just stayed in OKC and that was it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
I'm 100% sure PG's decision has to do with him loving OKC/Westbrook than something the Lakers did.

Keep in mind he had other great situations that would've wanted him (like Philadelphia) and he didn't even hear anyone. Just stayed in OKC and that was it.

I'm sure in 2017 when he was demanding a trade out of the Pacers, and if he was traded to the Lakers, he would have been fine welcoming LBJ to come there.

But that didn't happen and I do think in hindsight, OKC/WB did a great job recruiting him there.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

I'm sure in 2017 when he was demanding a trade out of the Pacers, and if he was traded to the Lakers, he would have been fine welcoming LBJ to come there.

But that didn't happen and I do think in hindsight, OKC/WB did a great job recruiting him there.

That's why going for the trade is important. At the time, the price was very small and I believe we didn't want to give up Ingram? Never depend on a FA going anywhere.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

That's why going for the trade is important. At the time, the price was very small and I believe we didn't want to give up Ingram? Never depend on a FA going anywhere.

My understanding of the situation was that the Pacers were not going to cave into PG13's demands and trade him to a team he wanted to be on. And they basically gave the Lakers a "FU" request of BI and the 2017 draft pick (which turned out to be Lonzo).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

We can disagree on the reasons behind George's decision.

I simply think it is a negative when a proud player in his prime starts feeling (and getting called) "a sidekick", "Robin" or "any max player" instead of the primary focus.

In hindsight it looks like he made the right choice. Arguably an MVP and DPOY candidate fighting for home court advantage while the Lakers are gaining a reputation as being poorly run, drama filled on and off the court and players quitting on the floor.

Just how convincing did Westbrook's sales pitch have to be. Maybe George and his agent saw the writing on the wall before many Laker fans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

I simply think it is a negative when a proud player in his prime starts feeling (and getting called) "a sidekick", "Robin" or "any max player" instead of the primary focus.

In hindsight it looks like he made the right choice. Arguably an MVP and DPOY candidate fighting for home court advantage while the Lakers are gaining a reputation as being poorly run, drama filled on and off the court and players quitting on the floor.

Just how convincing did Westbrook's sales pitch have to be. Maybe George and his agent saw the writing on the wall before many Laker fans.

You saw how much of a PG13 advocate I was on LG.

Conversely, I could say he missed a big chance to do this on the biggest stage, and could have gotten the MVP as a Laker.

Remember, WB ran that team like he was the Batman and PG13 was Robin.

I could imagine a circumstance where PG13's on court play forces LBJ to take a backseat a bit like WB did this season. People thought WB would never cede the lead role.

LBJ/PG13 would have made this team a contender for years IMO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

The Lakers changed their mind about PG at the all star break? Because that is when George talked about staying in OKC.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

All these reports are sad. I thought these two were brought in to change the culture that was tarnished. Instead we have reports that they’re just as bad as the previous regime.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Get David Griffin. He knows how to build a championship team around LeBron. Might also help our chances of signing Kyrie.

Yeah I’m a big supporter of Griffin being our GM, when you see him talk on NBA TV, his basketball knowledge is great.

he gets my vote as well. hell, anyone but another ex-laker
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Beasley as a small-ball 5
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

My understanding of the situation was that the Pacers were not going to cave into PG13's demands and trade him to a team he wanted to be on. And they basically gave the Lakers a "FU" request of BI and the 2017 draft pick (which turned out to be Lonzo).

Hmm, looking back I still can't decide what I would have done.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

It was understandable to take the risk of getting PG as a FA AND keep BI and the #2 pick.

It backfired, but I'm not going to lie about how I felt then.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

You saw how much of a PG13 advocate I was on LG.

Conversely, I could say he missed a big chance to do this on the biggest stage, and could have gotten the MVP as a Laker.

Remember, WB ran that team like he was the Batman and PG13 was Robin.

I could imagine a circumstance where PG13's on court play forces LBJ to take a backseat a bit like WB did this season. People thought WB would never cede the lead role.

LBJ/PG13 would have made this team a contender for years IMO.

Isn't "imagining circumstances" the root of every discussion around here?

In this case, I imagine that a big part of the George camp discussion was how the narrative in the media and how the chemistry was going to look like on the court with James. Arguably neither being especially attractive even in hindsight. James universe takes up a of of oxygen. Comply or die should be his credo to coaches and teammates.

IMO Magic and Co misplayed the situation ...again.

I was just as strong a supporter of the George recruitment too. He should have been the primary focus the entire way. Once the Lakers FO got sidetracked with the James situation they lost him to a less drama filled and much more attractive situation by staying in OKC. Magic can only have so many press conferences proclaiming a player to be the "face of the franchise" and the "future jersey in the rafters" speech before players seeing it as the hyperbole it is.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

It was understandable to take the risk of getting PG as a FA AND keep BI and the #2 pick.

It backfired, but I'm not going to lie about how I felt then.

What people don't discuss often is that the Dlo trade happened after the draft. Since we were sending out Dlo anyway for "cap relief" why didn't we package him, Ingram, and Mozgov for PG? I say that would have been fair for both sides.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Magic has to go. This ish show is on him.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

I have no real idea about how good of a GM Rob Pelinka is or isn't, but at lot of these moves have Magic's fingerprints all over them. All one has to do is look at Magics old tweets about NBA players or his brief stint as an NBA analyst.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
I have no real idea about how good of a GM Rob Pelinka is or isn't, but at lot of these moves have Magic's fingerprints all over them. All one has to do is look at Magics old tweets about NBA players or his brief stint as an NBA analyst.

Same. I think Magic is making all the calls and Pelinka is the puppet. At least that's the impression I have. Magic has a terrible history of talent evaluation and this recent information validates that point further.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Oh.. another dump on front office thread.

Participation is voluntary

Well.. yea. That's how this site works. Has nothing to do with what I said.

How many threads do we need that are for nothing more than dumping on the front office and whining???
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Can legit say we might be better off with Jim Buss asking random people in a bar who to sign/draft. I bet none of them would have said "you can replace Randle with Beasley."
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

How many threads do we need that are for nothing more than dumping on the front office and whining???

"whining" that our team sucks and we have idiots running it. Such whiners!
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I hear what you're saying. Truth is, I think all of us are highly disappointed. Even though most of us KNEW that this is not the right type of roster with LeBron, we AT LEAST thought we'd make the playoffs. I don't think playoffs were even a debate once LeBron was signed.

Now with every new bit of info that comes out about the FO and the decisions they've made along the way, we just want to post new info as we learn. I get it. We're frustrated for how and why this happened.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

"whining" that our team sucks and we have idiots running it. Such whiners!

Yea.. do you have an answer for my question?

How many threads do we need for you guys to complain and whine in?

Don't Magic and Rob have official threads?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: