That's My Jam!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3246
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Well today it's Nicolette Larson owning Jesse Winchester's Rhumba Girl.

https://youtu.be/OeC18hlX1p4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4471
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject:

A Poem on the Underground Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEEQWPfjv1U

When I was a boy of 8 or 10 I used to make fun of my dad for listening to Simon & Garfunkel. Kids are stupid.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9758
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject:

For the musically adventurous only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfNCVlLP34

14 mins of sonic bliss
_________________
What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 11451

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

Best male vocal range I’ve ever heard, Dimash Kudaibergenov during China singing competition, French song

https://youtu.be/5Cxz9tlVKjg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 14901

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Been listening to Elliott Smith recently. Either/Or is a classic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 47216
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Best male vocal range I’ve ever heard, Dimash Kudaibergenov during China singing competition, French song

https://youtu.be/5Cxz9tlVKjg

That was impressive.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29077

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
A Poem on the Underground Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEEQWPfjv1U

When I was a boy of 8 or 10 I used to make fun of my dad for listening to Simon & Garfunkel. Kids are stupid.



I never find myself inspired to listen to them, but damnit if they dont have at least 12 songs that I highly enjoy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 8518
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Big Star - O My Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNf3bH3ZlU

Cool little band from the 1970s that should've been way bigger. If you dig The Stones, T. Rex with a fair serving of Beatles-y melodies, give em a listen.

There's a really cool doc that chronicles their quirky history, Nothing Can Hurt Me. Worth a watch if you're into rock docs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 11512

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Big Star - O My Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNf3bH3ZlU

Cool little band from the 1970s that should've been way bigger. If you dig The Stones, T. Rex with a fair serving of Beatles-y melodies, give em a listen.

There's a really cool doc that chronicles their quirky history, Nothing Can Hurt Me. Worth a watch if you're into rock docs.


never heard of them...I might watch the doc. I was there in the 70's but it's fuzzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuU23sDT6hY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 8979

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Ohio is for Lovers

Hawthorne Heights

YES SIR
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42825
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Big Star - O My Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNf3bH3ZlU

Cool little band from the 1970s that should've been way bigger. If you dig The Stones, T. Rex with a fair serving of Beatles-y melodies, give em a listen.

There's a really cool doc that chronicles their quirky history, Nothing Can Hurt Me. Worth a watch if you're into rock docs.


never heard of them...I might watch the doc. I was there in the 70's but it's fuzzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuU23sDT6hY


Me too, and I hadn't heard of them either. But that's great stuff. Definitely bookmarking the doc!
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42825
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

The Jam that was the highlight of my drive home on this occasion:

The Record Company - "Off The Ground"
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 19963

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject:

RIP Scott Walker: https://youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4
_________________
Banana Head Again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29077

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
RIP Scott Walker: https://youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4


Sounds like the Black Keys and Michael Kiwanuka have been inspired by him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44048

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
RIP Scott Walker: https://youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4


https://youtu.be/Ju0kOrFjLgE
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 4925
Location: Southland Native

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-NvQ6VJYtE
_________________
Manchester United | Greatest European Moments
United's Paris Paradise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 8518
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
RIP Scott Walker: https://youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4


https://youtu.be/Ju0kOrFjLgE


What a great voice. RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Scott Walker was one of my favorite artists - a visionary and iconoclast. His first four solo albums are essential. His later work was experimental, difficult, but always interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 9196

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: That's My Jam!

DaMuleRules wrote:
In the interest of hopefully furthering the discussion of music here, I thought I'd steal an idea from The Kevin and Bean Show on KROQ and start a thread were people throw a piece of music they've been enjoying at the current moment at the rest of us to check out.

My choice to start us off:

The Marcus King Band - "Sharry Barry/Sliced Milk/25 Or 6 To 4/I’ll Stay/Gloomy Sunday (Live)"

This is definitely a Jam. But your offering doesn't have to be a Jam, it could be something you think is a Bop or even just a piece of Pop that gets you going. So the genre door is wide open. It can be an oldie or a new release.

Whether it be a well known classic or an obscure gem, just share and make the rest of us aware.


Just caught on to this thread. I'm listening to this and I'm thinking . . . hmmm . . . a funkier Chicago (CTA) and then . . . wham . . . holy Windy City Batman, 25 or 6 to 4 . . . they must think they sound like them as well.
_________________
If ever there were a Mount Rushmore of liars, it would be Trump, Trump, Trump, and Trump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 9196

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

So, I'm thinking, (bleep), I don't catch much new stuff, so I must reach back to something just a little bit new, but the music and the production are worth a second listen if you have heard it before:

Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart (Live Session Video)
_________________
If ever there were a Mount Rushmore of liars, it would be Trump, Trump, Trump, and Trump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42825
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: That's My Jam!

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
In the interest of hopefully furthering the discussion of music here, I thought I'd steal an idea from The Kevin and Bean Show on KROQ and start a thread were people throw a piece of music they've been enjoying at the current moment at the rest of us to check out.

My choice to start us off:

The Marcus King Band - "Sharry Barry/Sliced Milk/25 Or 6 To 4/I’ll Stay/Gloomy Sunday (Live)"

This is definitely a Jam. But your offering doesn't have to be a Jam, it could be something you think is a Bop or even just a piece of Pop that gets you going. So the genre door is wide open. It can be an oldie or a new release.

Whether it be a well known classic or an obscure gem, just share and make the rest of us aware.


Just caught on to this thread. I'm listening to this and I'm thinking . . . hmmm . . . a funkier Chicago (CTA) and then . . . wham . . . holy Windy City Batman, 25 or 6 to 4 . . . they must think they sound like them as well.


The thing I love about The MKB is they have such a richly diverse sound. They got the above sound, then others that sound much reminiscent of Warren Haynes/Gov't Mule and Derek Trucks, then other stuff that flirts with full on Jazz . . . all while maintaining their own identity and feeling all over the place.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42825
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
So, I'm thinking, (bleep), I don't catch much new stuff, so I must reach back to something just a little bit new, but the music and the production are worth a second listen if you have heard it before:

Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart (Live Session Video)


Kiwanuka is great stuff. He's one of those 21st Century guys with a truly old rock and roll soul.

One of my favorites for that reason is "One More Night".

Great song and a Really Cool Video
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42825
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Friday Fun with a Funkifide rendition of Space Odyssey:

Spacehog - The Hogyssey
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 8518
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Friday Fun with a Funkifide rendition of Space Odyssey:

Spacehog - The Hogyssey


Highly underrated 90s band.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42825
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Friday Fun with a Funkifide rendition of Space Odyssey:

Spacehog - The Hogyssey


Highly underrated 90s band.


Yep. They had the talent and sound, just never got over the hump of widespread recognition.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB