Your top 10 favorite Lakers of all time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Preface by saying I was a kid in the 3 peat era

1. Kobe

2. Magic
3. Lamar
4. Wilt
5. Pau
6. West
7. Fish
8. Shaq
9. Kareem
10. BI

Honorable mention: AC, Horry, Randle.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Sasha Vujacic
Slava Medvedenko
Devean George
Samaki Walker
Tierre Brown
Mike Penberthy
Mark Madsen
Mike Muscala
Vladimir Radmanovic
Elden Campbell

Really hard to whittle down the list
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Sasha Vujacic
Slava Medvedenko
Devean George
Samaki Walker
Tierre Brown
Mike Penberthy
Mark Madsen
Mike Muscala
Vladimir Radmanovic
Elden Campbell

We got a funny guy in here.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Magic
Kobe

Honestly a huge gap after those 2 and it's tough to put any others in order.

Wilt
Pau
Shaq
Kareem
Worthy
Van Exel
Lonzo
Harper
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm only going to list players

1. Kobe
2. Shaq
3. Magic
4. Pau
5. Eddie Jones
6. Lamar Odom
7. Nick Van Exel
8. Kareem
9. Robert Horry
10. James Worthy
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Your top 10 favorite Lakers of all time

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
1.) chick
2.) eddie
3.) magic
4.) kobe
5.) jerry
6.) kareem
7.) worthy
8.) pau
9.) coop
10.) Horry/BShaw

I'm puttin Chick in the ether. He's above the list, looking down.

1. Magic, my sports idol, courageousness is inspiring even if he isn't the best Tweeter (which, for some reason, matters to people who can't see the forest for the trees)
2. Sedale, hard to be a bright spot after Magic's retirement, but he was one, enjoyed playing the game, never got jaded even by his 12th season.
3. Shaq, was a privilege to have him for his prime, had a lot more finesse and was healthier than people gave him credit for, regret the Shaq/Kobe Wars. If you didn't find Shaq's comedy funny, you were in for some misery and Kobe wasn't amused, but I found him hilarious. Cheers themesong to Vlade, etc. I just checked and Fred Hickman is STILL an idiot 19 years later.
4. Coop, had moxy for days, ran himself into the ground by his 10th year, I think because he played with high intensity and thru injuries instead of sitting em out. Played on a bad ankle for 24 playoff gms in 88 and was never the same afterwards, went from DPOY 3 pt threat in 87 to ruin by 89.
5. Kareem, his stoicism was a counterbalance to the Showtime frivolities, but he gets a nod for being a complete human being instead of just an athlete. It was telling that Kareem was the only one who vouched for Paul Westhead and that was probably because Westhead was into literature/Shakespeare. Those kind of people got along swimmingly with Kareem. His personality was activated only when he was sufficiently interested in the person/subject.
6. Worthy, slick, smooth, down-to-earth, really was a big game player. By comparison Byron Scott had bad series against BOS, CHI. James played well against everyone.
7. Fish, deserves a lot more credit than he got, he was nails. I think he was as klutch as Kobe, there will never be another non-star who will do more than Fish did with the Lakers. The tearful postgame interview after he won G3 at BOS was his moment.
8. Kobe, 96-03, primarily. Looking back, he might've been better without the muscle than he was with it, higher ppg with it be damned. Easy to forget how quick and nimble he was as Frobe. Liked his more enthusiastic/McDonald'sy persona, but the Eagle experience and how the media portrayed him understandably jaded him.
9. Paul Kasol, I'd take 2008 Pau over 2019 AD, was better as Gastrong, but was still good enough as Gasoft in his prime years to have a winning impact. We're probably still paying for that highway robbery by all these flyover franchises.
10. Trev, hated the dumping by Mitch, shoulda paid both him and Odom. We haven't had a full court defender of his age and ability since. We supposedly needed Artest to combat Paul Pierce in the Finals, but by the time that came, Pierce was all hobbled and that matchup wasn't key to winning the series. Artest did hit a couple of huge shots and he will always be a part of Laker lore, but I still would've preferred Ariza and Odom.

11. AC, the streak was just an offshoot of his work ethic and consistency, a result of his personality, he wasn't a pushover either, he hacked opponents hard if they did it to him. JR Reid elbowing his teeth out with a vicious cheap shot and AC calmly picking his teeth off the floor and walking away was an indelible moment. He played w/ a mask on for awhile and his mouth must've been throbbing some, but he showed his personal strength and willingness to overcome obstacles in just that one moment. He was the hoops version of Evander Holyfield, with the inner resolve and drive that Tyson and various other athletes who skated by on talent alone lacked.
12a. Horry, playoffs mostly, regrettably played like a bum for much of the RS
12b. Foxy, the other "cerebral forward", per Bill Walton, amazing to look at the 98 team and see them getting poned by Utah so hard, deep talent.
14. Van Exel, initially liked him a lot, but self-injurious incidents made him slide on my list as they made him slide out of the lottery in the 93 Draft. The arguments w/ Delbert were needless and petty, and FF a few years and they're both gettin along in Dallas, fff... I saw his 41 pt high vs us at The Forum, btw. Dennis played.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Sasha Vujacic
Slava Medvedenko
Devean George
Samaki Walker
Tierre Brown
Mike Penberthy
Mark Madsen
Mike Muscala
Vladimir Radmanovic
Elden Campbell

We got a funny guy in here.

You forgot Luke, a 2nd serving of slop by the org. Screw us once, shame on him, screw us twice, shame on us.

Elden from 94-97 was a pretty good player, he doesn't fit with guys who didn't have 1 decent year, much less about 7-8 with various teams. And, he was a better center than a PF, though Karl Malone was the only PF too rugged for Elden to overcome, but smaller/shorter ones like Chuck and Kemp had no chance of stopping Elden on the low block. I have a good sample size of gms from 94-97 and his really good games frequently pop up when I happen to watch my own recaps on YT. That means he was more or less a barometer of team success. As Elden went, so went the Lakes, at least until Shaq got here. Said it many times, Shaq instantly nullified both Ced and Elden. He took the area around the rim from Ced and he took weak side 1:1s that Elden liked. There was no need for Ced's garbage putbacks (his one genius talent) or Elden's slow 1:1s against centers and PFs. When Shaq signed, they suddenly needed guys who could hit treys and they were dealt for Horry and Rice.

Believe it or not, Elden won at least 4 games in the final sec, I just saw this one and he had 3 with the Lakers (vs LAC, 94, vs CHA 95, at NJ 96). I'll bet that's more than Chris Webber ever had.

vs CHAR

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Your top 10 favorite Lakers of all time

non-player zealot wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
1.) chick
2.) eddie
3.) magic
4.) kobe
5.) jerry
6.) kareem
7.) worthy
8.) pau
9.) coop
10.) Horry/BShaw

I'm puttin Chick in the ether. He's above the list, looking down.

1. Magic, my sports idol, courageousness is inspiring even if he isn't the best Tweeter (which, for some reason, matters to people who can't see the forest for the trees)
2. Sedale, hard to be a bright spot after Magic's retirement, but he was one, enjoyed playing the game, never got jaded even by his 12th season.
3. Shaq, was a priv to have him for his prime, had a lot more finesse and was healthier than people gave him credit for, regret the Shaq/Kobe Wars
4. Coop, had moxy for days, ran himself into the ground by his 10th year, I think because he played with intensity and thru injuries.
5. Kareem, his stoicism was a counterbalance to the other Showtime stuff, but he gets a nod for being a complete human being instead of just an athlete.
6. Worthy, slick, smooth, really was a big game player, by comparison Byron Scott had bad series against BOS, CHI, James played well against everyone.
7. Fish, deserves a lot more credit than he got, he was nails. I think he was as klutch as Kobe.
8. Kobe, 96-03, primarily, looking back, he might've been better without the muscle than he was with it, higher ppg with it be damned, easy to forget how quick and nimble he was as Frobe.
9. Paul Kasol, I'd take 2008 Pau over 2019 AD, was better as Gastrong, but was still good enough as Gasoft to have a winning impact.
10. Trev, hated the dumping by Mitch, shoulda paid both him and Odom.

11. AC, the streak was just the result of an ethos of hard work and consistency, a result of his personality.
12a. Horry, playoffs mostly, regrettably played like a bum for much of the RS
12b. Foxy, the other "cerebral forward", a la Bill Walton, amazing to look at the 98 team and see them getting poned by Utah so hard, deep talent.

Good write-up sir.

You're missing Jerry West (the executive) though. He was more important to the legacy of the Lakers than Buss, Magic and Chick.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

How about an all 80's mix;

Buck
Cap
Worthy
AC Green
McAdoo
Thompson
Scott
Copper
Nixon
Rambis
Wilkes
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Your top 10 favorite Lakers of all time

Joe Pesci wrote:

Good write-up sir.

You're missing Jerry West (the executive) though. He was more important to the legacy of the Lakers than Buss, Magic and Chick.

I amended it, check me out again. Sometimes I mess up like Spider.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

not a single lebron so far
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
not a single lebron so far

I completely forgot about him, tbh. That's even worse than outright hatred OR indifference. Indifference is not having a care either way, but you have to be reminded of the thing you're indifferent to in order to say "Meh..." He didn't even come to mind at all when I wrote that. That's probably not a coincidence. I want him to succeed, but this ain't gonna be that year. LA loves a winner. He can resurrect himself if he wins a championship because as much as Artest was a foolio, he left his mark in our history and is now more remembered for winning than he was for the Palace Malice.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Not the best, but the ones I liked or particularly liked to watch play ...

Jerry West, Kareem, Jamaal Wilkes, Magic, Coop, Rambis, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, Steve Nash

Did you like Adrian Dantley in the late 70s or did you think he was undersized? You recall what your take was on the trade for Haywood, who lost his LA privileges in historic fashion? Gimme some old school, Verbz.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject:

1) Kobe
2) DFish
3) Magic
4) KAJ
5) Shaq
6) Odom
7) Pau
8) Fox
9) Horry
10) Bynum

I started to watch from 1999 season. Its hard to say something about the guys like West ,Worthy or Wilkes. I saw many games of Magic and KAJ and I can put them therer but I do not have any connection with them as a fan.Its more because of what they mean for this franchise and I like them as persons.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Sasha Vujacic
Slava Medvedenko
Devean George
Samaki Walker
Tierre Brown
Mike Penberthy
Mark Madsen
Mike Muscala
Vladimir Radmanovic
Elden Campbell

No Smush? No Kwame?

Kobe
Magic
Shaq
KAJ
Wilt
West
Gasol
Artest
VanExel
Byron Scott (as a player, only as a player)

VanExel
Artest

Last edited by matigol on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject:

1. S H A Q
2. Lebron
3. Pau
4. BI
5. Fish
6. Odom
7. Artest
8. Horry
9. Zubac
10. JR
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject:

- Magic
- Shaq
- Kareem
- Kobe
- Gasol
- NVE
- Worthy
- Horry
- Lonzo
- Scott
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject:

I've been a fan since 2001, so I can only talk about guys I saw

Kobe, Shaq, Pau, Lamar, Horry, Fish, Sasha, Ron, Ariza, Caron Butler.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject:

Not in order of preference

Magic Johnson
Eddie Jones
Kobe Bryant
Shaquille ONeal
Derek Fisher
Robert Horry
Lamar Odom
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Phil Jackson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

Chick
Chick
Chick
Kobe/Shaq
Coop/Magic/Big Game
BI
Sasha Vujacic

OFF THE COURT/OVERALL: KAJ <<<<GOAT

OFF COURT LBJ
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject:

My screen name reveals my all-time fave, the guy who made me a Lakers fan because he made me fall in love with the sport.

But, chronologically...

Elgin
Jerry aka Mr. Clutch, incalculable contributions as player and exec
Tommy Hawkins, RIP
Stumpy
Wilt, RIP
Riles
Harold "Happy" Hairston, RIP
The Captain aka The GOAT in my humble opinion
Silk
Norm
Coop, was and still is far too underrated, his contributions were huge
The Magic Man, he took us on an unforgettable joyride
Robert McAdoo
Big Game
B Scott
AC
Vlade
Sedale
Nick the Quick
Eddie
Kobe (no. 1-tie in my heart with Mr. Clutch)
Shaq
Fish
Pau
Metta World Peace, Laker Emeritus, for service above and beyond the call of duty circa 2010

I know that's more than 10, but there have been so many great Lakers over the years. It's been an embarrassment of riches. Today's Lakers, very much including Mr. James, need to understand the privilege they have to wear the uni. I'm not sure if they do...

COACHES, chronologically

Bill Sharman, RIP - brought a champion's mentality to the organization
Pat Riley - personified toughness and competitive courage as a player and coach
Phil Jackson - his mental approach to the sport was matched by only a few

OWNERS (yes, they deserve a little credit too)

Bob Short, RIP - losing money hand over fist in Minneapolis, saw the wisdom of the Dodgers' move west, and followed the trail
Jack Kent Cooke, RIP - hard to work for, but a success in everything he ever did
Dr. Jerry Buss, RIP - the Forum Blue and Gold standard, his kids have a lot to live up to and a very long way to go

And npz called it plain...Francis Dayle "Chick" Hearn, RIP. It's fair to say that he did as much for the Lakers as anyone who ever wore a uni. Loved him with all my heart. 'nuff said.

Last edited by CabinCreek44 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject:

Kobe
Lamar
Eddie
Sasha
Magic
Laron profit
Caron
Horry
Coop
Ariza
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject:

That I saw playing (been a fan since 93-94 or so):

1. Kobe/Magic (I'm gonna cheat and put Magic in here. I remember his first comeback against Sprewell's Warriors vividly. It was just crazy to see him on the court)
3. Shaq
4. Odom
5. Gasol
6. Fisher
7. Van Exel
8. Artest
9. Bynum (I really loved that kid. What could've been...)
10. Jones
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

NPZ (and all you old people), what was the atmosphere when Magic came back in 1996? I was just a kid but I remember my older brother (who made me a Lakers fan) going absolutely crazy about it. I might still have the VHS of that game here.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

1. Kareem
2. Kobe
3. Horry
4. Magic
5. Worthy
6. Coop
7. Byron
8. Mychal
9. Shaq
10. Van Exel
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: