Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject:

Interesting how draft sometimes is a crapshoot. I was checking a video on YT on how the Raptors roster was built and one of the best teams in the NBA has absolutely no one drafted - by themselves or another team - in the lottery.

There's Kawhi at #15, 4 players in the 20's (Anunoby, Lowry, Ibaka and Siakam), four in the 2nd round (McCaw, Green, Gasol, Powell), and 5 that went undrafted (VanFleet, Lin, Boucher, Miller and Moreland).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Zion returns: 13-13 FG's (29 points), with 14 boards and 5 steals....

not to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, it was a great performance, but could see some that still have doubts about Zion in the NBA using this game as exhibit A. I think he only took one shot beyond 3 feet, and was 2 of 9 from the free throw line. He used superior strength and size to dominate the game....two advantages that will shrink in the NBA.

FWIW, I thought he was awesome, but I have seen him play other games this season where he displayed more all around talent/skill.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

not to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, it was a great performance, but could see some that still have doubts about Zion in the NBA using this game as exhibit A. I think he only took one shot beyond 3 feet, and was 2 of 9 from the free throw line. He used superior strength and size to dominate the game....two advantages that will shrink in the NBA.

FWIW, I thought he was awesome, but I have seen him play other games this season where he displayed more all around talent/skill.

It was his first game back from injury
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Interesting how draft sometimes is a crapshoot. I was checking a video on YT on how the Raptors roster was built and one of the best teams in the NBA has absolutely no one drafted - by themselves or another team - in the lottery.

There's Kawhi at #15, 4 players in the 20's (Anunoby, Lowry, Ibaka and Siakam), four in the 2nd round (McCaw, Green, Gasol, Powell), and 5 that went undrafted (VanFleet, Lin, Boucher, Miller and Moreland).

it is a good point....one small point would be Anunoby would have been a lottery lock if not for the "mysterious" knee injury he suffered his last year in college.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

I am not sure if you are objecting to my post?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
potential lottery pick Jaxson Hayes (Texas) just went down with a knee injury, had to be helped to the bench. Unsure how serious.

(bleep) Devon Dotson ruins everything.

could be more serious than I thought....saw reports this morning they will do the tests this morning, but he was in significant pain after the game last night.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject:

Zion

Barrett
Culver

Bol
Porter
Morant

Clarke
Hunter
Garland
Hayes
Williams

I hate having so many bigs/non-initiators in my top 10, but it looks like that kind of draft year. This will obviously change a bit, but my list is starting to solidify behind Zion.

Zion

Culver
Morant

Porter
Bol
Garland

Clarke
Williams
Barrett
Hayes
Hunter
Thybulle
Reddish
NAW
Jerome
White
T. Jones

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject:

There are going to be a lot of G/Fs overdrafted in the lottery this year while one of Thybulle/Roby/Matthews/Horton-Tucker becomes a true star.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

I am not sure if you are objecting to my post?

That's what my neighbor said.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

Bol

what are the odds Orlando drafts Bol Bol and his 7'8" wingspan?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Bol

what are the odds Orlando drafts Bol Bol and his 7'8" wingspan?

Bol>Bamba

Do it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject:

Low minutes All-Stars to watch for next CBB season/2020 draft:

Trevion Williams (Purdue)
Devin Vassell (Florida State)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject:

This freshman class is so bad.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

This is why I'm more focused on player development and intangibles than just skill set.

The entire league is focused on skill set because that's the "safest" method, and it governs most of my decisions in regards to the draft still.

But Brandon Ingram is the proof that you can have a low baseline skill set, with some skills not even transferring over to the league, yet work ethic and player development with some + length (not even a tremendous athlete here) could turn him into a 20ppg scorer in basically 3 years.

The draft is hypothetically supposed to be from BPA in descending order. It NEVER is, even within the top 5 picks.

Why? Player development. Intangibles. Timelines.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

Everybody points to his size and strength.

No one points to his elite motor, vision, and hoop IQ.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject:

There are going to be a lot of G/Fs overdrafted in the lottery this year while one of Thybulle/Roby/Matthews/Horton-Tucker becomes a true star.

TRADE DOWN

Or at least... take a risk on Thybulle, THT, NAW...

lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

Firstly Zion is a beast, he's a little bit of, LBJ + Sean Kemp + Larry Johnson + Isaiah Rider all rolled into one and you could probably add some more players in their as well.

I believe BI has played his trade value up and it will make the most since for the Lakers to deal him during the 2019 NBA Draft. He's not a superstar by no means, but on an EC Team, he could be legit. Their may not be any real game-changers from 4-7, so maybe the Lakers can get in that spot with a trade of BI.

Both Memphis and Chicago have something to offer in return, while I'm not so sure, Atlanta would be willing to give up anything that high up and have no players on their roster.

The key should be acquiring a solid role-player or potential all-star in return for BI. If you think the Lakers don't have a chance to make the final at least one year with a LeBron James teams, then IDK what to say. IT WILL HAPPEN!

Moving Ingram gives Kuz more of a chance to flourish, however you could package BI with Zo or Hart and maybe get something even better.

With a sub-par season the Lakers are expected to make major drastic changes in during the Draft and Free-Agency, anything less is unacceptable.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

Here's a thread on why I'm out on Bol https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/1099460817106288640 , 10+ tweets/clips
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Here's a thread on why I'm out on Bol https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/1099460817106288640 , 10+ tweets/clips

It's a great thread that I still need to finish, but after looking at the first 5-6 tweets, why couldn't Bol just raise his release point over time?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

It's a great thread that I still need to finish, but after looking at the first 5-6 tweets, why couldn't Bol just raise his release point over time?

He could; although I think this is a pocket he’s really comfortable with and shows great touch w — raising the pocket will also effect the stroke..he probably needs to raise the release too, which doesn’t always happen when you raise the pocket..

But I also think the slowness of the shot is a big issue.. he really moves at that pace in general..
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Haha, I just needed 1 clip of his man defense bruh.

Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

I'm a draft for need guy -- always have been.

The Lakers need the most dynamic wing of combo guard ... who can shoot well.

They MUST be a shooter. If they can do other things well, cool, but they need a talented guy who can shoot.

I was all for trading down, but after thinking about it deeply, they should probably stay put and draft the best wing (preferably a PG/SG) who has a pedigree of shooting.

These guys fit the profile:
-- Coby White
-- Ty Jerome
-- Tyler Herro

I'd also consider trading Kuzma and/or Hart with the pick to draft Darius Garland, but that's pie in the sky.

I'll be watching Coby White, Ty Jerome, and Tyler Herro very closely. Right now, White gets the nod, but Jerome is more my kind of player. Jerome is just not as dynamic as White, and with the prospect of losing Ingram to injury, I'd go with White over Jerome because of his potential as not only a shooter but a scorer as well.

Herro, I've seen less of, but I like his moxy. He's got more upside than Jerome as well, but Jerome as more intangibles.

Coby White is the pick for me right now.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

Moe Wagner and Svi Mykhailiuk didn't exactly do well with that "Draft for need" concept.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He could; although I think this is a pocket he’s really comfortable with and shows great touch w — raising the pocket will also effect the stroke..he probably needs to raise the release too, which doesn’t always happen when you raise the pocket..

But I also think the slowness of the shot is a big issue.. he really moves at that pace in general..

I think the slowness will be less of an issue if he can raise his pocket and release point. But you've identified the bigger issue for Bol, imo, which is his shot pocket more than his defense.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

I believe in drafting based on need, but truth is, there are ALWAYS exceptions.

You can't be dogmatic either way.

For the record, right or wrong, last year I would have traded the first round pick for a future protected first, and I would have taken a hybrid, defensive forward with the Bonga pick and a shooter with the Mykhailiuk pick ... so, yes, I thought the Svi pick was well done.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 46 of 441
Jump to: