DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Just watched a couple of flicks on the way home from Costa Rica (<highly recommended)

Bad Times At The El Royale

A really strange quirky movie but overall I liked it.

I thought John Hamm was very good in it, I like how he is reinventing himself after Mad Men.

Anyone else see that one?

The second one I saw is the "new" Star Is Born.

I was a big fan of the 1970's version of the film. I had heard some negative things about this one, but I liked it overall even though I thought it could have been 30 minutes shorter with less Gaga-Cooper kissing scenes but other than that it was good.

Gaga was adequate, I give her credit as that was a major role with little experience. Bradley Cooper I thought was very good, he is underrated as an actor in my opinion. But I agree with the poster above that perhaps his direction of the movie could have been better.

I liked Bad Times. After Pulp Fiction came out in '94 there were a bunch of Tarantino imitators who made films that ranged from total dreck like 8 Heads In A Duffel Bag to reasonable like What To Do In Denver When You're Dead. Bad Times is the spiritual succesor to those mid-90s Pulp Fiction wannabes, but actually good.

Go was a Pulp clone that actually worked for me.

Good pull. That was very Tarantino-y without the totally excessive violence (some, but nothing like Marvin getting his face blown off).

Melissa McCarthy actually makes a brief cameo, as well.

Good pull and good summation. Go was a blast that had that novelette style of story telling but did so in a fun and unpretentious way.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
The best films were made in the 70's. However, 1997 - 2007 is, imho, the greatest decade in the history of film.

I'll take your answers off air.

I don't know that I agree, but watch A Clockwork Orange on Netflix now for one of the truly great, truly surreal, truly timelessly vicious films ever made.

Both Godfather flicks were in the 70's, of course.

Deer Hunter, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, every Hal Ashby and Robert Altman flick...

It's my favorite film decade without even having to leave American soil.

Also adding Barbara Loden's criminally underrated Wanda, which is getting the Criterion treatment next month.

Seriously check out Wanda
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Just watched a couple of flicks on the way home from Costa Rica (<highly recommended)

Bad Times At The El Royale

A really strange quirky movie but overall I liked it.

I thought John Hamm was very good in it, I like how he is reinventing himself after Mad Men.

Anyone else see that one?

The second one I saw is the "new" Star Is Born.

I was a big fan of the 1970's version of the film. I had heard some negative things about this one, but I liked it overall even though I thought it could have been 30 minutes shorter with less Gaga-Cooper kissing scenes but other than that it was good.

Gaga was adequate, I give her credit as that was a major role with little experience. Bradley Cooper I thought was very good, he is underrated as an actor in my opinion. But I agree with the poster above that perhaps his direction of the movie could have been better.

I liked Bad Times. After Pulp Fiction came out in '94 there were a bunch of Tarantino imitators who made films that ranged from total dreck like 8 Heads In A Duffel Bag to reasonable like What To Do In Denver When You're Dead. Bad Times is the spiritual succesor to those mid-90s Pulp Fiction wannabes, but actually good.

Go was a Pulp clone that actually worked for me.

Good pull. That was very Tarantino-y without the totally excessive violence (some, but nothing like Marvin getting his face blown off).

Melissa McCarthy actually makes a brief cameo, as well.

Good pull and good summation. Go was a blast that had that novelette style of story telling but did so in a fun and unpretentious way.

A subthread for underrated/forgotten 90s indies would be interesting.

Once Were Warriors, Zero Effect, The Last Supper, Trespass, and Buffalo 66 come to mind. I was talking to a younger film student a few weeks back, and he had no clue Leaving Las Vegas existed, so that's another one.

Oh, and indie legend John Sayles was on his game in the 90s: Lonestar, City of Hope, Men with Guns, and Limbo were all wonderful, under the radar gems.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Shout out to Jeff Nichols and his impressive filmography to date. He hasn't broken through yet with his truly great picture - though Take Shelter feels close - I'd bet on him to make at least one masterpiece in his career, probably starring Michael Shannon.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Shout out to Jeff Nichols and his impressive filmography to date. He hasn't broken through yet with his truly great picture - though Take Shelter feels close - I'd bet on him to make at least one masterpiece in his career, probably starring Michael Shannon.

Shannon will have an Oscar before Nichols.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Watching Mann’s unrecognized masterpiece Manhunter for the umpteenth time. What amazing control of his narrative and the viewer’s every observation, thought, and feeling.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I really liked Mud. I don't know if I'd call it a great movie, I need to rewatch it to reassess it. But I do recall being thoroughly moved by that one.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

Academy Award nominated foreign film Shoplifters and Award winning documentary Free Solo are now streaming on Hulu.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

I really liked Mud. I don't know if I'd call it a great movie, I need to rewatch it to reassess it. But I do recall being thoroughly moved by that one.

I liked Mud, as well. I need to rewatch it before it leaves Hulu. Everything Nichols does feels close to something great, but there's always something missing. There feels like a disconnect between his technical prowess/slickness and the smaller, intimate focus of his narratives. That's a poor way to articulate it, but maybe a focused rewatch of Mud might shake loose some clearer observations.

ETA: you deleted some great 90s hidden gems suggestions Man Bites Dog in particular.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Watching Mann’s unrecognized masterpiece Manhunter for the umpteenth time. What amazing control of his narrative and the viewer’s every observation, thought, and feeling.

Love it, and also in need of a rewatch. Manhunter and his freshman effort Thief has to be one of the best one-two punch combos to start a directorial career in the last 50 years.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

One of my favorite movies from the '80's and William Peterson at his best.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

I liked Mud, as well. I need to rewatch it before it leaves Hulu. Everything Nichols does feels close to something great, but there's always something missing. There feels like a disconnect between his technical prowess/slickness and the smaller, intimate focus of his narratives. That's a poor way to articulate it, but maybe a focused rewatch of Mud might shake loose some clearer observations.

ETA: you deleted some great 90s hidden gems suggestions Man Bites Dog in particular.

I kept re-editing it since I couldn’t make up my mind lol, so I decided to junk it. But yes, Man Bites Dog, Slacker and Night on Earth are three “obscure” indies from the 90s I’d recommend.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Love it, and also in need of a rewatch. Manhunter and his freshman effort Thief has to be one of the best one-two punch combos to start a directorial career in the last 50 years.

The Insider is a top 20 movie for me.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Great flick; this one and Thief (another awesome Mann directed gem) are two of my go-to’s for gritty 80s crime. I’d throw To Live and Die in LA and Burning Mississippi (even though it takes place during the 60s) in there as well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Great flick; this one and Thief (another awesome Mann directed gem) are two of my go-to’s for gritty 80s crime. I’d throw To Live and Die in LA and Burning Mississippi (even though it takes place during the 60s) in there as well.

Manhunter and TLADILA are probably the two movies that set my taste in film.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Academy Award nominated foreign film Shoplifters and Award winning documentary Free Solo are now streaming on Hulu.

Well, you're going to want to watch both, especially the luminous Shoplifters. You know who you are.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Well, you're going to want to watch both, especially the luminous Shoplifters. You know who you are.

High on my list for when I finally have free time.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, that one's good. Mitch Kupchak played Francis Dollarhyde. He did a great job. He was back from the ACL tear by 86, but Riles allowed him to film on practice days since he wasn't playing much anyway.

Omar Little wrote:

TLADILA

Wang Chung. Which description best applies? Awesome or rad?

I love that movie, posted about it on Page 1 of the thread. LA Noir. Still a bit obscure, but it set some conventions that were used by other movies of its ilk. It's the movie that Lethal Weapon wanted to be. The studio didn't want the lead killed at the end, so they filmed an alt scene of the two partners in Alaska and it was so frighteningly lame that they were then happy to accept the initial idea. Alt scene is an Easter egg on a premium DVD from the past. I've never seen anything like that.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The Insider is a top 20 movie for me.

Somehow neglected despite its brilliance. That American Beauty was so praised at the time while The Insider was acknowledged and forgotten was a cinematic injustice that hasn't been rectified despite American Beauty's fall in estimation.

As an aside, Miami Vice is on Netflix and deserves a rewatch and reappraisal
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I kept re-editing it since I couldn’t make up my mind lol, so I decided to junk it. But yes, Man Bites Dog, Slacker and Night on Earth are three “obscure” indies from the 90s I’d recommend.

Agreed on all three.

Some other smaller or now forgotten 90s flicks that I really liked that come to mind:

New Jack City
Menace II Society
Boomerang
Fresh
U-Turn
Serial Mom
Where the Day Takes You
Velvet Goldmine
Croupier
Underground
After Life
The Opposite of Sex
The General
Wild Things
Dark City
Gods and Monsters
The Ice Storm
The Cure
The Spanish Prisoner
Eve's Bayou
The Butcher Boy
The Sweet Hereafter
Breakdown
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
In the Company of Men
Clockwatchers
Bound
Mother
Rosetta
Freeway
Waiting for Guffman
Flirting with Disaster
The Birdcage
Suburbia
Citizen Ruth
Richard III
The Crossing Guard
Party Girl
To Die For
The Doom Generation
Crumb
Once Were Warriors
Barcelona
Surviving the Game
Six Degrees of Separation
Romeo is Bleeding
The Blue Kite
The Vanishing
Deep Cover
White Men Can't Jump
Prospero's Books
The Rocketeer
Nothing But Trouble
Pump Up The Volume
Benny & Joon

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

For my money, TLADILA is William Friedkin's best movie.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Agreed on all three.

Some other smaller or now forgotten 90s flicks that I really liked that come to mind:

New Jack City
Menace II Society
Boomerang
Fresh
U-Turn
Serial Mom
Where the Day Takes You
Velvet Goldmine
Croupier
Underground
After Life
The Opposite of Sex
The General
Wild Things
Dark City
Gods and Monsters
The Ice Storm
The Cure
The Spanish Prisoner
Eve's Bayou
The Butcher Boy
The Sweet Hereafter
Breakdown
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
In the Company of Men
Clockwatchers
Bound
Mother
Rosetta
Freeway
Waiting for Guffman
Flirting with Disaster
The Birdcage
Suburbia
Citizen Ruth
Richard III
The Crossing Guard
Party Girl
To Die For
The Doom Generation
Crumb
Once Were Warriors
Barcelona
Surviving the Game
Six Degrees of Separation
Romeo is Bleeding
The Blue Kite
The Vanishing
Deep Cover
White Men Can't Jump
Prospero's Books
The Rocketeer
Nothing But Trouble
Pump Up The Volume
Benny & Joon

Benny and Joon was always fun for me, because I lived just down the street from the two little diners (Ferguson’s and The Milk Bottle) where they shot several scenes, and Joon’s home was 3 blocks from my in law’s house.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

For my money, TLADILA is William Friedkin's best movie.

The French Connection for me. It's one of the films that spurred my interest in film editing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Nothing But Trouble
[/i]

Haha. I always thought that the Judge looked like Red Auerbach and that Red also had parts missing. Judge after jamming with Digital Underground: "You SUURRRE are a gaggle of muscians, suure enough!" Favorite part is when the Judge is trying to take a bite of his hot dog filled with slop.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Anyone ever see the movie "The Wanderers"? I saw it on TV, in high school and thought it was the greatest movie ever. Still do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 12 of 189
Jump to: