2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Ichiro retired today, receiving a well-deserved standing ovation and warm goodbye from his teammates. His last game was in Tokyo, Japan. He finishes his MLB career with 3089 hits and a .311 batting average. He made the All-Star game 10 straight times, from 2001 to 2010, averaging 224 hits and batting .331 for a decade of play.

Without question, he is the greatest Japanese baseball player of all-time, and one of the greatest batters in MLB history. A diminutive 5'11 and 175 lbs, he harbored a cannon for an arm. He is the greatest hitter I have personally ever seen. He will be missed.

https://streamable.com/0oyee
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
All-Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and the St. Louis Cardinals are finalizing a five-year extension for $130 million, a source familiar with the deal confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Passan on Thursday.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
All-Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and the St. Louis Cardinals are finalizing a five-year extension for $130 million, a source familiar with the deal confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Passan on Thursday.

The Dbags franchise is such a joke. Can't keep an MVP for 5/130 but can pay $36/yr for Greinke until he's 38. I'm glad they're so incompetent.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Ichiro retired today, receiving a well-deserved standing ovation and warm goodbye from his teammates. His last game was in Tokyo, Japan. He finishes his MLB career with 3089 hits and a .311 batting average. He made the All-Star game 10 straight times, from 2001 to 2010, averaging 224 hits and batting .331 for a decade of play.

Without question, he is the greatest Japanese baseball player of all-time, and one of the greatest batters in MLB history. A diminutive 5'11 and 175 lbs, he harbored a cannon for an arm. He is the greatest hitter I have personally ever seen. He will be missed.

Perfect end to his career. That was pretty emotional. When I think of a professional ball player, a professional hitter, I think of Ichiro.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

CrangesMcBasketball wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
It will be hard for the Dodgers to make it back to the World Series this year. Unless some of our players have great years it will be hard to make up for the losses in the off season.

It's hard to make it to the WS any year. Last yr was pretty difficult with Seager going down and starting the year off like 22-35 or something.

Yup. Making it 2 years in a row is extremely difficult. 3 years? That's way too much to ask. Last team to do that was the Yanks and they three-peated.

While this is true, I don’t know any NL team that is more likely to make it. I’m not sold on the Phillies. My Astros, on the other hand, will have to deal with the Yankees and the Red Sox. The AL is just so top heavy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

For better or worse, he may have been the last of his kind. Singles hitters with average walks and good base running are not what teams are developing in this era.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

For better or worse, he may have been the last of his kind. Singles hitters with average walks and good base running are not what teams are developing in this era.

Yep. He was a bat-to-ball guy that wasn't looking to walk, and who rarely struck out. Hence, all the base hits. Add in the blazing speed before he was 35, meaning he picked up a lot of infield hits, and that's how you get over 3000 hits even when you start your MLB career at a relatively late age.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Rays bank on Snell with $50M deal

Quote:
Reigning American League Cy Young winner Blake Snell agreed Thursday to a record-setting five-year, $50 million contract extension with the Tampa Bay Rays, league sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Astros, Verlander reach $66M extension

Quote:
The Houston Astros and ace Justin Verlander have agreed to a two-year, $66 million contract extension through the 2021 season, a league source with knowledge of the deal confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

Reds' Gennett expected to miss 8-12 weeks

Quote:
The Cincinnati Reds announced Saturday that All-Star second baseman Scooter Gennett is expected to be out eight to 12 weeks with a right groin strain.

LINK

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Astros, Verlander reach $66M extension

Quote:
The Houston Astros and ace Justin Verlander have agreed to a two-year, $66 million contract extension through the 2021 season, a league source with knowledge of the deal confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

LINK

Another guy the Dodgers could have looked at in free agency after this season, who is now off the board. Gerrit Cole (out of UCLA) is another possibility, but I've heard that the Astros are trying to get him to sign an extension, too.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

It’s a little bit of gamble, given Verlander’s age, but I’m glad to know that Kate will be in town for a couple more years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Huge 5-year extension for deGrom, and Kyle Hendricks also reaches a 4-year extension with the Cubbies.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Top 10 Free Agents for Next Summer

LINK

so many would be FA's have signed extensions
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
47s
47 seconds ago

More
Designated hitter Kendrys Morales has been traded to the Oakland A’s from Toronto, a source with knowledge of the deal tells ESPN.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Top 10 Free Agents for Next Summer

LINK

so many would be FA's have signed extensions

team didnt want to risk their guys getting to free agency and getting $300+ million offers
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Welcome to opening day, folks. First game starts at 10PT, orioles yanks, followed by the first marquee matchup of the season: Mets v Nats, DeGrom v. Scherzer.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Welcome to opening day, folks. First game starts at 10PT, orioles yanks, followed by the first marquee matchup of the season: Mets v Nats, DeGrom v. Scherzer.

not sure why Yankees & crappy Orioles got the national TV slot over Mets vs. Nats.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

not sure why Yankees & crappy Orioles got the national TV slot over Mets vs. Nats.

Because it's the stupid Yankees. But yeah, I agree - guaranteed to be a worse game.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Good win for my Yanks. Pitching looked strong.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Cubs start with a big win in Texas!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cubs start with a big win in Texas!

Cubbies look really good. Going to be a very tight race in the NL Centeal
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

some good, some bad for my Reds...but we get the win
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I think they can hang around in the Wild Card race if they can withstand the loss of Gennett. With Gennett and Senzel in the lineup eventually (I expect Schebler to be the odd man out in the second half), I love their lineup, and while the rotation is a definite question mark, Castillo had an ERA of under 3 in the second half last year, DeSclafani has looked good before, Roark has looked good before, and Wood has always had a good ERA when healthy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think they can hang around in the Wild Card race if they can withstand the loss of Gennett. With Gennett and Senzel in the lineup eventually (I expect Schebler to be the odd man out in the second half), I love their lineup, and while the rotation is a definite question mark, Castillo had an ERA of under 3 in the second half last year, DeSclafani has looked good before, Roark has looked good before, and Wood has always had a good ERA when healthy.

wild card my ass....we are coming for your Dodgers and the NL pennant.

Castillo looked strong yesterday....Sonny Gray looked like an ace in Spring Training....and DeSclafani & Roark were very good in the Spring. Raisel Iglesias and a few bullpen guys have not looked great so far.....and the bullpen nearly blew the game yesterday multiple times. Hopefully Wood is ready to go within a month.

In regards to Scooter....I think I have told you that he is my favorite player....that said, I am not very worried about his absence. First, him being gone automatically improves our defense....and Peraza @ 2B is just as good of a hitter. If you look at last season....I think from June until the end of the season, Peraza actually had better numbers than Scooter at the plate while playing SS. If there is one player on the Reds that I would bet on having a breakout year, it is Peraza. That leaves us with Jose Iglesias @ SS while Scooter is out....and Jose Iglesias is our best fielding SS. I know I am setting myself up for some disappointment, but he hit the ball great all spring. He claims Turner Ward has really helped him with the bat.

Schebler may be the odd man out when Senzel gets called back up....but I just do not bet against Schebler finding a way to force himself into the lineup. He is a competitor that Reds fans have counted out multiple times, and been wrong. If we can get the expected power out of Suarez and Puig, our lineup can be competitive with any in the NL including the Dodgers.

One final thing....did you see the updated FanGraphs WAR results for catchers when they added in pitch framing? Tucker Banhart's took a nose dive. Apparently he is well below average at pitch framing even though he has won gold gloves as a catcher. It will be interesting to see if Casali gets more time behind the plate.....which would help out offense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 2 of 70
Jump to: