Fan breakdown on why we traded Zubac
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

That guy wanted to believe so hard that Maginka actually used their brains. It was a stupid spur of the moment harebrained idea like some of their free agent signings.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
My breakdown on why we traded Zubac:

Because we're (bleep) stupid.

Typical emotional response from frustrated fans. Understandable. But I trust the professionals of Magic and Pelinka, who are paid to know stuff fans don't.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:
As difficult as it may be to do, and to buy into, I honestly think Magic and Pelinka have a game-plan about everything they do. These guys see the Lakers daily, they know what's happening with other league players, they get those tipoffs and hints that happen without the average fan knowing nothing about. So to us, trading Zu makes no damn sense. I get that. But to the Laker front office, I suspect they know something we don't. For example, maybe trading Zubac was a signal to D. Cousin's people that he has a place here on the Lakers. And with McGee as a backup, that's not such a horrible combination.

Easy to make Magic Johnson the whipping boy in all things bad, but I refuse to do that, if for no other reason, I have too much respect for him as a player and a businessman. I also recognize the eye-test I employ as a fan is severely limited in scope, and thus accuracy.

So I'm going to trust this process, be patient, and wait for things to materilize this off season, as the 2-year plan was originally designated to do.

Magic doesn’t see these guys daily, he rarely sets foot in El Segundo. And if trading Zubac was a signal to Cousins, these guys are in over their heads much more than expected.

Are you suggesting you have better insight regarding NBA players and the Laker roster than the President of Basketball operations of the LA Lakers? With all due respect, I'll trust Magic and Palinka's knowledge over the average fan's any day of the week.

He has the title, but that doesn't mean that the selection process was designed to get the most qualified candidate for the position.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Take the emotions out, calm down, and think rationally.

I think this is what people are doing. He has 1.9m cap hold. Why get rid of him right now?

We as fans don't know. But then again, we are not out there watching Zu practice, we don't know his approach to the game, we don't know anything except what we see during games.

But just to completely disregard people who are around NBA players, teams and agents, and who are PAID to make decisions simply because we, as fans who have none of the aforementioned, disagree with them stinks of fan entitlement.

Many of us need to get over ourselves and just be patient.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I think this is what people are doing. He has 1.9m cap hold. Why get rid of him right now?

We as fans don't know. But then again, we are not out there watching Zu practice, we don't know his approach to the game, we don't know anything except what we see during games.

But just to completely disregard people who are around NBA players, teams and agents, and who are PAID to make decisions simply because we, as fans who have none of the aforementioned, disagree with them stinks of fan entitlement.

Disagree. When a team with LBJ doesn't make the playoffs, everything should be subject to scrutiny.

As you said, they're PAID to make decisions and they've made some poor decision.

It's not fan entitlement. It's called not being blinded by Lakers exceptionalism.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:
As difficult as it may be to do, and to buy into, I honestly think Magic and Pelinka have a game-plan about everything they do. These guys see the Lakers daily, they know what's happening with other league players, they get those tipoffs and hints that happen without the average fan knowing nothing about. So to us, trading Zu makes no damn sense. I get that. But to the Laker front office, I suspect they know something we don't. For example, maybe trading Zubac was a signal to D. Cousin's people that he has a place here on the Lakers. And with McGee as a backup, that's not such a horrible combination.

Easy to make Magic Johnson the whipping boy in all things bad, but I refuse to do that, if for no other reason, I have too much respect for him as a player and a businessman. I also recognize the eye-test I employ as a fan is severely limited in scope, and thus accuracy.

So I'm going to trust this process, be patient, and wait for things to materilize this off season, as the 2-year plan was originally designated to do.

Magic doesn’t see these guys daily, he rarely sets foot in El Segundo. And if trading Zubac was a signal to Cousins, these guys are in over their heads much more than expected.

Are you suggesting you have better insight regarding NBA players and the Laker roster than the President of Basketball operations of the LA Lakers? With all due respect, I'll trust Magic and Palinka's knowledge over the average fan's any day of the week.

He has the title, but that doesn't mean that the selection process was designed to get the most qualified candidate for the position.

Not everything is going to work perfectly. If that was the case, NBA teams would be easily built, with no challenges, every year, no worries to it.

Millions of dollars were spent getting this front office team in place. We got Lebron James. We got cap space. But that isn't enough for Joe Lakers fan. Forget that our starting lineup was gutted with injuries the entire season. Nope. We didn't get that 8th spot, so FIRE EVERYBODY!
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Disagree. When a team with LBJ doesn't make the playoffs, everything should be subject to scrutiny.

As you said, they're PAID to make decisions and they've made some poor decision.

It's not fan entitlement. It's called not being blinded by Lakers exceptionalism.

Dude, what part of K.E.Y. I.N.J.U.R.I.E.S. do you not get!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

What part of "what did you do with 28m in cap space" do you not get?

Are you honestly telling me that before the season started, being a lottery team was an acceptable/predictable outcome? If so, show me some of those receipts.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

We did have key injuries, but that's a component of the game. We spent 28M on KCP, McGee, Lance, Rondo, Bease and had the whole world and us scratching our heads. If we had a competent FO we'd still make the playoffs.

Last edited by Mamba Mentality on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Especially if you need a full bird rights, low cap hold contract to be able to sign a 7-9 Max and still have the flexibility to trade for Davis.

I think the answer is right in front of us. The Lakers trade guys before they have to pay them. Magic did that with Russell, did it with Nance, did it with T Bryant (released), tried to do it with Randle but only got offers of 2nd rounders (ended up renouncing), and now did it with Zubac.

That approach can be smart in doses because sometimes flexibility is more important. But in excess, and without getting enough in return (like nothing), it's a losing strategy. They're running the team on the cheap.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:

Typical emotional response from frustrated fans. Understandable. But I trust the professionals of Magic and Pelinka, who are paid to know stuff fans don't.

Thats the excuse that people give to terrible GM's as a pass....because its their job.....don't worry after enough bad moves these guys eventually get fired and fans will be able to tell you I told you so.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Especially if you need a full bird rights, low cap hold contract to be able to sign a 7-9 Max and still have the flexibility to trade for Davis.

I think the answer is right in front of us. The Lakers trade guys before they have to pay them. Magic did that with Russell, did it with Nance, did it with T Bryant (released), tried to do it with Randle but only got offers of 2nd rounders (ended up renouncing), and now did it with Zubac.

That approach can be smart in doses because sometimes flexibility is more important. But in excess, and without getting enough in return (like nothing), it's a losing strategy. They're running the team on the cheap.

We may still get a top FA, but if that's the case, Zub's 1.9m cap hold doesn't even affect that. It's just puzzling, b/c we ALL saw how much Zub was growing as the season went along. Like he went from "oh he's out of the league" to "wow, maybe he's a cheap long term center for us."
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Are you honestly telling me that before the season started, being a lottery team was an acceptable/predictable outcome? If so, show me some of those receipts.

I didn't expect the injuries. With no injuries, we would have made the playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I didn't expect the injuries. With no injuries, we would have made the playoffs.

I expected injuries as BI/Lonzo have missed a good amount of games in the past. I didn't expect them to spend the punted max slot on the collection of misfit pieces that turned out to be complete duds for us when we needed them the most.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:

Not everything is going to work perfectly. If that was the case, NBA teams would be easily built, with no challenges, every year, no worries to it.

Millions of dollars were spent getting this front office team in place. We got Lebron James. We got cap space. But that isn't enough for Joe Lakers fan. Forget that our starting lineup was gutted with injuries the entire season. Nope. We didn't get that 8th spot, so FIRE EVERYBODY!

Quote:

FIRE EVERYBODY!

You went into posting gyrations with ALL CAPS, yet you completely ignored that my post was about a very questionable hiring process.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Worst trade in Lakers history.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:

I never posted anything like that, you are the one who made that up. But yes, I believe that there are fans here who are better at evaluating talent than Magic and Pelinka.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:

We have a winner! Concise, and painfully accurate.

+1000

Coach Wooden
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:

Yep - worse than:

- Two #1's and two #2's for Steve Nash (Mitch/Jim)
- Caron Butler for Kwame Brown (Mitch/Jim)
- Adrian Dantley for Spencer Haywood (Sharman)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

Yep - worse than:

\

What did those Suns picks up being?

Kwame was part of the Pau trade, no?
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

Yep - worse than:

\

Kwame was the key in that Pau trade because he was an expiring.

On the surface of the original trade, yes it was terrible to give up Butler for him, but it worked out. The Steve Nash has got to be the worst hindsight wise. We knew he was old but didn't know he'd barely play as a Laker. I don't think we'll talk about the Zubac trade this time next year as bad as that trade was.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Good catch 2019

Admit it, you didn't even read the article.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

Yep - worse than:

\

We wouldn’t have Pau with Caron instead of Kwame.
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Why trade away a good player for a chance at signing another good player? Make absolutely zero sense. All these cap bs is just that. Cap bs. The Knicks and the Lakers are gonna be smiling with their capspace all the way to the bank after striking out on all top tier FA's.

Why would a free agent want to sign with you if you've made the team worse with stupid moves like trading Zubac for Crapsala? If I'm KD or Kawhi, the Clippers would be my obvious first destination. Like it or not, it is fact. I'd rather be brutally honest about the stupidity of our FO than to sit here next year again wondering why PG13 didn't even grant us an interview. I'd rather we be proactive and make the changes in the FO right now.

I disagree. You are all making Zubac into some supersized symbol of your overall frustrations. Zubac was a serviceable center, not the projected all-star you all think he was.

And what the hell have the Clippers been doing? Tobias Harris - GONE. CP3 - GONE. Blake Griffin - GONE. Eric Gordon - GONE. DeAndre Jordon - GONE.

And yet, it's the Lakers who are to be avoided because we got rid of all our "good players"...like Zubac.

Take the emotions out, calm down, and think rationally. If KD or KL go the Clippers, it's to escape undue, unjust, and downright foolish criticism from spoiled Laker fans.

Zubac had value. Maginka traded him for Muscala cause he wanted shooting from the center position which turned out to backfire for us as well as Zubac contributing to LAC especially defensively. That was the reason not some insider sources saying that "oh we traded Zubac so we can attract free agents". There were heavy rumors that Maginka traded Zu just to make McGee happy since he lost a significant amount of minutes to Zu.

Randle had value. Magicnka managed to piss him off so much by creating a toxic environment that Randle requested to be released from Lakers. He could have easily fetched for a late 1st round pick if Magic didn't tank his value.

Brook Lopez had value. Walked away for nothing and signed a cheap contract with MIL and is having a career year. We used him wrong last year and was a piece from the Dlo trade and Dlo had value as well. We could've signed him to a 1 year cheap contract.

Magic sucks, he doesn't understand how to field a competitive team while managing any assets. It's a different league now and there's a lot of GM's in the NBA that are smart yet Magic is trying to revive the Showtime Lakers. Every other GM is playing chess and Maginka is playing themselves.

Compare to the clippers

Lob City is underacheiving so they trade:

Chris Paul for Patrick Beverly, Montrezl Harrell, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker, and 1st round pick. They arguably won this trade. Lou is playing at an all star level. This is how you gather assets while remaining competitive.

Blake Griffin for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradly, Boban and another first round pick. Another great trade for the Clips as they get out of the terrible contract.

Eric Gordon was a piece to get Chris Paul so I don't know why you even mentioned him.

They traded Tobias Harris for Landry Shamat(solid prospect), 2 1st round picks and cap space. This was a great trade.

The Clippers are making the playoffs and have cap space for 2 max contracts + solid role players. They have Lou, Montrelz, and other players on great contracts. Their future looks bright.

2010 was a very long time ago and the Lakers are so behind the curve that we became the Knicks. Most people on here realize the problem
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:

Totally agreed.

I hated this trade 1. We got nothing in return not even a 2nd rd pick 2. We traded a good player at 21 years old to the Clippers.

I still believed this trade is not about basketball reason. They have too many businesses outside the Lakers.

Only the true Lakers fans feel the pain!!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: