Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors will renounce their rights to Barnes as a restricted free agent with Durant heading to Golden State, meaning there will be no three-day waiting period while his previous team ponders whether to match the offer.
The Warriors need to shed Bogut's $11 million salary to create cap space to sign Durant to a two-year, $54.3 million deal. Sources say the Warriors are inclined to send Bogut, a good friend of Barnes', to a destination he likes.

So the warriors traded bogut and let a young player leave Barnes to sign Durant. Substitute Mozgov and Russell and add star player and what’s the difference

The difference is obvious. The Golden States only let go of a young player after they get a commitment from KD. We lost Dlo for.. who exactly?

We don’t know yet. We have to wait until after July 1. After that I’ll be critical if the right player is not signed. Right now I’m not going to harp on it everyday on every thread when we know that player can’t be signed until July 1 and this is March 24.

This simply isn't true. We have the answer as to who we got with the cap space that resulted from the Russell trade. We got KCP and Rondo. That's who we signed with that money. The space was meant for George but they didn't get him. The 1 year contracts they signed allow them space to sign a max guy this summer, but the cost of freeing up a max slot in 2019 rather than 2018 (when they intended to use it) is dramatically different. Each year that passes is another year of Mozgov salary a team has to eat.

We got the space last year but those players expire. If we signed them for multiple years it would eat into next years cap space. Russell would expire also but comes with a 20 million dollar cap hold

Lebron 37 million
Russell 20 million cap hold
Deng. 5 million

62 million. You want Randle also. Second year of his deal puts us around 75 million with the cap at 109.

I have no idea what your point is. That’s it’s bad to rebuild with Lebron and young players?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors will renounce their rights to Barnes as a restricted free agent with Durant heading to Golden State, meaning there will be no three-day waiting period while his previous team ponders whether to match the offer.
The Warriors need to shed Bogut's $11 million salary to create cap space to sign Durant to a two-year, $54.3 million deal. Sources say the Warriors are inclined to send Bogut, a good friend of Barnes', to a destination he likes.

So the warriors traded bogut and let a young player leave Barnes to sign Durant. Substitute Mozgov and Russell and add star player and what’s the difference

The difference is obvious. The Golden States only let go of a young player after they get a commitment from KD. We lost Dlo for.. who exactly?

We don’t know yet. We have to wait until after July 1. After that I’ll be critical if the right player is not signed. Right now I’m not going to harp on it everyday on every thread when we know that player can’t be signed until July 1 and this is March 24.

Signing a max player this summer doesn't change the fact he made the trade 1 or 2 years too early. I would argue that if we are looking to trade Mozgov this summer, we wouldn't even need to offer one of Dlo, Ball or Ingram.

Am I wrong or did the trade create an opening for a second max last summer which was set for PG13 who backed out?

I think you're right. Except on the part about PG13 backing out. He was never in, sadly.

Yes, which proved the point that the trade was done too early.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Signing a max player this summer doesn't change the fact he made the trade 1 or 2 years too early. I would argue that if we are looking to trade Mozgov this summer, we wouldn't even need to offer one of Dlo, Ball or Ingram.

What’s too early. If you went into next season and traded a first to get rid of Mozgov you now have.

Lebron 37.436
Russell. 20. Cap hold
Deng 5
Ball. 8.7
Ingram. 7.265
Wagner. 2
Kuz. 1.9
Lottery pick cap hold

82 million cap 109. Less than 27 million in space counting cap holds. Not including Mozgov. Now if you want to create a max spot you have to probably renounce Russell and trade Mozgov (his 16 million not included) which will cost you picks when the trade before got you a pick back. It’s no way around it. With moz/deng next year you were going to have to pay the piper one way or another. And this doesn’t even include Randle
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Am I wrong or did the trade create an opening for a second max last summer which was set for PG13 who backed out?

I think you're right. Except on the part about PG13 backing out. He was never in, sadly.

Yes, which proved the point that the trade was done too early.

Read below and tell me how doing it later makes it better
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

^ Totally agree. Was never on board with the DLo trade. At leaat, not in a salary dump with no reasonable sense of certainty around who you could get with that salary.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

What’s too early. If you went into next season and traded a first to get rid of Mozgov you now have.

Lebron 37.436
Russell. 20. Cap hold
Deng 5
Ball. 8.7
Ingram. 7.265
Wagner. 2
Kuz. 1.9
Lottery pick cap hold

82 million cap 109. Less than 27 million in space counting cap holds. Not including Mozgov. Now if you want to create a max spot you have to probably renounce Russell and trade Mozgov (his 16 million not included) which will cost you picks when the trade before got you a pick back. It’s no way around it. With moz/deng next year you were going to have to pay the piper one way or another. And this doesn’t even include Randle

Or you trade Ball or Ingram or Wagner + Kuzma.

And if you decided to renounce Russell, you'd still have had room for Randle + max.

Or maybe you decide Russell is better than a the 2nd tier max players and you move forward with him.

The point is we took all the options off the table for no reason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Lebron 37.436
Russell. 20. Cap hold
Deng 5
Ball. 8.7
Ingram. 7.265
Wagner. 2
Kuz. 1.9
Lottery pick cap hold

If you have Lebron, DLO and the other young players, remind me again why you want a max slot? Besides being Magic and having no idea how to build a team.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

This simply isn't true. We have the answer as to who we got with the cap space that resulted from the Russell trade. We got KCP and Rondo. That's who we signed with that money. The space was meant for George but they didn't get him. The 1 year contracts they signed allow them space to sign a max guy this summer, but the cost of freeing up a max slot in 2019 rather than 2018 (when they intended to use it) is dramatically different. Each year that passes is another year of Mozgov salary a team has to eat.

We got the space last year but those players expire. If we signed them for multiple years it would eat into next years cap space. Russell would expire also but comes with a 20 million dollar cap hold

Lebron 37 million
Russell 20 million cap hold
Deng. 5 million

62 million. You want Randle also. Second year of his deal puts us around 75 million with the cap at 109.

I have no idea what your point is. That’s it’s bad to rebuild with Lebron and young players?

The poster said we used the money from Russell on Kcp and rondo and that’s technically not true. Rondo was signed when they renounced Randle. The point is those players come off the books while Russell would have to be renounced or count 20 million against the cap this off season.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The point is those players come off the books while Russell would have to be renounced or count 20 million against the cap this off season.

If a superstar FA commits and you have to renounce Russell then you live with it if you're truly getting an upgrade. If you don't get the superstar, well at least you still have Russell. Or they could salary dump him two years before they use the space and face a really likely scenario where they end up with jack (bleep).
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Lebron 37.436
Russell. 20. Cap hold
Deng 5
Ball. 8.7
Ingram. 7.265
Wagner. 2
Kuz. 1.9
Lottery pick cap hold

If you have Lebron, DLO and the other young players, remind me again why you want a max slot? Besides being Magic and having no idea how to build a team.

I assume if you want to compete for a championship. Superstars win championships. Those players In my option are Durant, Giannis, Harden, curry, Kawhi and Embiid. Look at the standings of the teams they are with. OKC has two all stars and fell to the eighth seed. San Antonio LA and demar and are in the bottom half of the seedings. History has taught us if you want to compete forchampionships have two superstars not all stars. players greatly increases your chances. Kobe- Shaq, mike- pippen, bird-mchale, curry- Durant. I thought as laker fans that should be the goal every year. I guess now we’re settling for 5 or 6th seeds.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
The point is those players come off the books while Russell would have to be renounced or count 20 million against the cap this off season.

If a superstar FA commits and you have to renounce Russell then you live with it if you're truly getting an upgrade. If you don't get the superstar, well at least you still have Russell. Or they could salary dump him two years before they use the space and face a really likely scenario where they end up with jack (bleep).

And since you didn’t do the Mozgov trade you now have to include assets to get rid of him once the player commits with teams knowing you have to get rid of him to sign the superstar free agent
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

No, we are settling for lottery teams. Going from the lottery to a contender in one season hardly ever happens. And when you don’t get that superstar you end up with the roster we have this season. And try again next year. And the one after that. I assumed that we would have learned from the past 6 seasons but I guess not. You have to be good before you can be great. At some point you have to build something.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

And since you didn’t do the Mozgov trade you now have to include assets to get rid of him once the player commits with teams knowing you have to get rid of him to sign the superstar free agent

Lakers could have easily traded Mozgov this year for basically nothing. Cleveland would have done Mozgov + asset for JR Smith.

We could have also just used the pick from last year (instead of picking Wagner) to unload Mozgov - again, wouldn't have been that hard.

Or again, you stretch him last year and roll with Russell + Randle and work the trade market.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

It’s easy to reflect on past transactions through the lens of hindsight. D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle are both represented by agent Aaron Mintz of CAA Sports. Aaron Mintz is the agent involved in the highest tampering fine in league history ($500,000); he directed Paul George not to sign with the Lakers. The Lakers have been through this in the past, a decade ago, it was David Lee, agent who represented Trevor Ariza and Andrew Bynum. Everyone should now aware of Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, the influence behind the Anthony Davis trade demand to the Lakers. The bottom line is the Lakers dropped Aaron Mintz for Rich Paul and that decision nearly netted Lebron James and Anthony Davis.

The constant crying over D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle is hilarious. Yes, on paper, the team would be better with them than without them, until you factor in the agents. Russell in particular is a three point shooter that would have benefited by playing with Lebron James. Randle is a small ball center that would have been a leader and a force off the bench. However, both players are represented by Aaron Mintz.

I do find it ironic that Josh Hart, who replaced D’Angelo Russell, also required Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

^ You don’t need the benefit of hindsight though to determine if the DLo trade was “good”.

Whether it was depended entirely on using that money for “good” pieces the year after Brook left (this year). Given it was used mainly for KCP/Mcgee/Beasley, yeah it wasn’t good.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
No, we are settling for lottery teams. Going from the lottery to a contender in one season hardly ever happens. And when you don’t get that superstar you end up with the roster we have this season. And try again next year. And the one after that. I assumed that we would have learned from the past 6 seasons but I guess not. You have to be good before you can be great. At some point you have to build something.

Agreed. Been trying to say this since the tank began. Losing breeds losing. A winning mentality can’t be manufactured overnight. It’s lazy to depend on you name or brand. Just think of how to get better and be responsible with the contracts you give out. People need to believe in something. They want to be part of something. You just can’t get that with a team of one year rentals and then trying to trade everyone.

Build something. I as a fan want to be entertained. I will take 10 years of competitive basketball over a single championship year and 9 years of garbage lottery. 9 years is an awfully long time to hate the team put out there cause we “play for rings or not at all.” No you play to compete each and every game. If a championship comes awesome. If it doesn’t, well I will take a real team effort and a playoff exit each and every time over watching a team with old Bron lose to 10 games in a row. Pathetic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
It’s easy to reflect on past transactions through the lens of hindsight. D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle are both represented by agent Aaron Mintz of CAA Sports. Aaron Mintz is the agent involved in the highest tampering fine in league history ($500,000); he directed Paul George not to sign with the Lakers. The Lakers have been through this in the past, a decade ago, it was David Lee, agent who represented Trevor Ariza and Andrew Bynum. Everyone should now aware of Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, the influence behind the Anthony Davis trade demand to the Lakers. The bottom line is the Lakers dropped Aaron Mintz for Rich Paul and that decision nearly netted Lebron James and Anthony Davis.

The constant crying over D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle is hilarious. Yes, on paper, the team would be better with them than without them, until you factor in the agents. Russell in particular is a three point shooter that would have benefited by playing with Lebron James. Randle is a small ball center that would have been a leader and a force off the bench. However, both players are represented by Aaron Mintz.

I do find it ironic that Josh Hart, who replaced D’Angelo Russell, also required Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections.

Fwiw, it wasn’t exactly Mintz and his clients screwing the Lakers over. Kind of backward.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Ok and? I think we can agree that the punitive cost of trading Mozgov is less when there's 2 years $32M on it than there is when it's 3 years $48 (and even less when it's 1yr $16M). Or hell, do the same Russell + Moz deal if it means you've locked in Paul George. That's not what happened though. They did the deal a year early without an agreement and got burned.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

What never makes sense is that our esteemed leadership thought it was a good idea to bring in a former agent as GM. One who made enemies of other agents and some front offices. Add in the tampering accusations by multiple teams and making player moves is seriously hampered. Three teams at this point who wouldn’t deal with us.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

If they had waited a year to do the Mozgov trade they probably could have dumped him with someone like Zubac instead of Russell.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

If they had waited a year to do the Mozgov trade they probably could have dumped him with someone like Zubac instead of Russell.

Or replace Russell with BI or ZO if that's what it took to get the deal done at the time. Losing BI or ZO for PG is still better than having no DLO, no PG and likely no one from this offseason.

"Bird in Hand" as they say. Getting rid of mozgov in the same summer as PG wouldn't have simultaneously cost us DLO/BI/ZO/KUZ/Zu at once, even if other teams hated the lakers.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Watching an old LA/SEA recap and was wondering, do you think we punted too soon on Ruben Patterson?
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject:

again, talk about building something.

D'Angelo will be in his prime for another ten solid years at least. And with his passing skills he could possibly go from being a Jr Ricky Rubio with better playmaking sense to an actual Steve Nash or truly elite next gen playmaker.

I mean what is the point of even drafting players or developing them if everybody is just trade fodder? Why bother? If DAngelo wasnt good enough for the team, if Randle the most impressive player at Kentucky in the ncaas wasnt good enough, who do you think you will draft? I've been around enough to know the Lakers almost never get those picks. And now we had three #2 overalls and one #7 overall and all we got is Lonzo and Ingram to show for it. Clearly we traded the better two players. There's no way to explain yourself out if that. I mean Lonzo doesnt even bother to show up now. What's the deal? He hasnt been hurt for weeks. What is he too valuable to play? LoL he's just a young player with 80 games experience who needs the work.

I wouldnt trade DLO for westbrook or paul george right now. Those guys are almost getting over the hill already while DLO is part of the new wave.

also the two superstar logic does not apply to Lebron, who got there many times with all star level guys like kyrie (who was injured sometimes), klove, and an aging Wade and marginal Bosh.

Also steph was doing it with klay and draymond until Nike put Durant there to share the spotlight. On that note I dont see Durant leaving gsw while Curry is there -- he would do worse and get exposed and curry would be right back in the finals and pushing for mvp with higher usage
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agreed. Been trying to say this since the tank began. Losing breeds losing. A winning mentality can’t be manufactured overnight. It’s lazy to depend on you name or brand. Just think of how to get better and be responsible with the contracts you give out. People need to believe in something. They want to be part of something. You just can’t get that with a team of one year rentals and then trying to trade everyone.

Build something. I as a fan want to be entertained. I will take 10 years of competitive basketball over a single championship year and 9 years of garbage lottery. 9 years is an awfully long time to hate the team put out there cause we “play for rings or not at all.” No you play to compete each and every game. If a championship comes awesome. If it doesn’t, well I will take a real team effort and a playoff exit each and every time over watching a team with old Bron lose to 10 games in a row. Pathetic.

While I do agree with your premise and point, I don't think it is the case. We don't have any player left from the tanking years, so I don't know how we could be affected by a tanking culture. Most of our team has been here for only 2 years or less and the majority of them won't be here next year, and that is also an issue. It is a case of poor decisions building the roster + bad coaching + injuries.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

What never makes sense is that our esteemed leadership thought it was a good idea to bring in a former agent as GM. One who made enemies of other agents and some front offices. Add in the tampering accusations by multiple teams and making player moves is seriously hampered. Three teams at this point who wouldn’t deal with us.

Interesting point that a signficant portion of our leadership are first timers. The lack of experience is glaring.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27
Jump to: