Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
FWIW, I'm not sure Lebron can stay healthy if we play at a pace that maximizes Lonzo and Kuzma's worth (fastest pace in the league). That's why LBJ got hurt on a non-contact injury. Strained his groin running a pace he wasn't used to/prepared for.

I'd trade both Lonzo and Kuz if we can get equal value back.

Also, Ingram's blood clot issue is the elephant in the room. Will he play again? Or is he Chris Bosh? If he's healthy, keep him. He's a lockdown defender 3rd option (which Lebron will need to win chips).
If he's the next Bosh, move him. Before the rest of the league finds out.

The FO also has to find a way to match the 2019-2020 roster with the next coach. Everybody blames Magic for DLO, but if Jim and Mitch kept MDA. DLO would still be here.
We must match coaching with the roster. Something our last FO didn't do going back to firing Brown for MDA when we got Dwight (Brown turned Bynum into an allstar, that's how we got Dwight in the first place).

All these things are easier said then done. But I hold out hope.

Lakers over everything.

Tbh, Dwight and Bynum was a lateral move, but the big difference was bringing Nash. Brown had Nash setting picks in the Princeton. Most thought at the time that the key to success was getting Nash into a fast paced offence (which the triangle was not). Remember, Kobe played some of the best ball of his career as PG in MDAs system. Also, Bynum was a better post player than Dwight. Dwight was better suited for pick n roll ball. In fact, Nash/Kobe/Dwight should have played like CP3/Harden/Capela. Really Nash injury killed that team.

However, I find it ironic that the old FO is now getting flack for getting rid of MDA when clearly Jeannie and Showtimers were behind that.

In fact, you look at the old FO's moves: MDA, DLO, Randle, Nance, JC, BI, Lou, Luke; it is clear that they desired to go to a more fast paced offense (it was reported Dr. Buss favored this too). It is evident that Jeannie and Showtimers have been trying to keep us in the past.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
kikanga wrote:
FWIW, I'm not sure Lebron can stay healthy if we play at a pace that maximizes Lonzo and Kuzma's worth (fastest pace in the league). That's why LBJ got hurt on a non-contact injury. Strained his groin running a pace he wasn't used to/prepared for.

Also, Ingram's blood clot issue is the elephant in the room. Will he play again? Or is he Chris Bosh? If he's healthy, keep him. He's a lockdown defender 3rd option (which Lebron will need to win chips).

The FO also has to find a way to match the 2019-2020 roster with the next coach. Everybody blames Magic for DLO, but if Jim and Mitch kept MDA. DLO would still be here.
We must match coaching with the roster. Something our last FO didn't do going back to firing Brown for MDA when we got Dwight (Brown turned Bynum into an allstar, that's how we got Dwight in the first place).

Lakers over everything.

Tbh, Dwight and Bynum was a lateral move, but the big difference was bringing Nash. Brown had Nash setting picks in the Princeton. Most thought at the time that the key to success was getting Nash into a fast paced offence (which the triangle was not). Remember, Kobe played some of the best ball of his career as PG in MDAs system. Also, Bynum was a better post player than Dwight. Dwight was better suited for pick n roll ball. In fact, Nash/Kobe/Dwight should have played like CP3/Harden/Capela. Really Nash injury killed that team.

However, I find it ironic that the old FO is now getting flack for getting rid of MDA when clearly Jeannie and Showtimers were behind that.

In fact, you look at the old FO's moves: MDA, DLO, Randle, Nance, JC, BI, Lou, Luke; it is clear that they desired to go to a more fast paced offense (it was reported Dr. Buss favored this too). It is evident that Jeannie and Showtimers have been trying to keep us in the past.

Moving from Dlo to Lonzo is the opposite of trying to slow the team down.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Lakers over everything.

Moving from Dlo to Lonzo is the opposite of trying to slow the team down.

DLO is a great shooter and great PnR player. He is a great fit for the modern NBA, and would have been a very nice fit for ZO
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:

I don't follow you. Showtime was a fast paced offense. Dr. Buss liked fast paced offenses, but he was pragmatic. When the times changed and it became hard to run and gun, he tolerated the triangle.

I perceive the disconnect at a different level. Dr. Buss wanted stars. Jeanie and Magic want stars, but they aren't pragmatic. The times have changed. They are counting on Lakers exceptionalism (and Rich Paul) to bring them stars. Let's hope it works, or else the next five years are going to be a lot closer to the last five years than anyone would have expected.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
foshowtime wrote:

I don't follow you. Showtime was a fast paced offense. Dr. Buss liked fast paced offenses, but he was pragmatic. When the times changed and it became hard to run and gun, he tolerated the triangle.

I perceive the disconnect at a different level. Dr. Buss wanted stars. Jeanie and Magic want stars, but they aren't pragmatic. The times have changed. They are counting on Lakers exceptionalism (and Rich Paul) to bring them stars. Let's hope it works, or else the next five years are going to be a lot closer to the last five years than anyone would have expected.

What Im saying is this:

Most of the moves made by the old FO seem to indicate a desire for a more modern style.

Most of the complaints made by Showtime guys and Jeannie as well as the moves made by the new FO indicate a lack of desire for a modern style.

I think one FO looked more to the future while the other looked to big names and to the past.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
foshowtime wrote:

What Im saying is this:

Most of the moves made by the old FO seem to indicate a desire for a more modern style.

Most of the complaints made by Showtime guys and Jeannie as well as the moves made by the new FO indicate a lack of desire for a modern style.

I think one FO looked more to the future while the other looked to big names and to the past.

I don't agree, they have been very transparent about what type of players they are looking for. They want to build a team of "positionless" guys who can playmake, shoot, get out in transition, and play defense. They want hustle guys who love working hard and are scrappy. It's a big reason why they drafted Lonzo, Kuz, Hart, and Wagner. Obviously Lebron is the epitome of that. The problem is Luke's lack of a system is not making the most of the pieces we have. You can disagree with their moves, but it is very clear they are looking for guys who can play a "modern" free flowing style of basketball.

Also everyone talks about how you have to play in "today's NBA", but the reality is there is no right way to play. The goal is to score more points than the other team, and you do that by maximizing your strengths and exploiting the other teams weaknesses. You don't have to play another team's style just because they are good at it. Good teams will copy other teams and try to match their style, great teams will control the pace and set the trends for other teams to copy.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
foshowtime wrote:

What Im saying is this:

I don't agree, they have been very transparent about what type of players they are looking for. They want to build a team of "positionless" guys who can playmake, shoot, get out in transition, and play defense. They want hustle guys who love working hard and are scrappy. It's a big reason why they drafted Lonzo, Kuz, Hart, and Wagner. Obviously Lebron is the epitome of that. The problem is Luke's lack of a system is not making the most of the pieces we have. You can disagree with their moves, but it is very clear they are looking for guys who can play a "modern" free flowing style of basketball.

No, the problem is they want to play postionless basketball without acknowledging how to construct it. Assuming Beasley can play center is ignorant. Letting go of Randle is another huge mistake if they are seeking positionless basketball.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I don't agree, they have been very transparent about what type of players they are looking for. They want to build a team of "positionless" guys who can playmake, shoot, get out in transition, and play defense.

That's interesting. The impression I've gotten is very different. The things you are describing are more the product of message boards than what comes out of Magic's mouth.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't agree, they have been very transparent about what type of players they are looking for. They want to build a team of "positionless" guys who can playmake, shoot, get out in transition, and play defense. They want hustle guys who love working hard and are scrappy.

Except none of the guys they spent nearly 30m in cap space do that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I don't agree, they have been very transparent about what type of players they are looking for. They want to build a team of "positionless" guys who can playmake, shoot, get out in transition, and play defense. They want hustle guys who love working hard and are scrappy.

They're good at talking
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
trablos wrote:
I don't agree, they have been very transparent about what type of players they are looking for. They want to build a team of "positionless" guys who can playmake, shoot, get out in transition, and play defense.

That's interesting. The impression I've gotten is very different. The things you are describing are more the product of message boards than what comes out of Magic's mouth.

They have said as much multiple times.

You'll find interviews peppered around the draft, free agency, and training camp where they repeat some of the qualities they are looking for. As I said, we can all disagree with their moves, but it's pretty clear what type of team they are trying to build.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Rondo is a high IQ guy who can push the pace, Javale was playing DPOY defense to start. Even Lance was a great "Jordan Clarkson" scoring punch off the bench. Sure it's not perfect but you can see what type of identity they were trying to instill.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Rondo is a high IQ guy who can push the pace, Javale was playing DPOY defense to start. Even Lance was a great "Jordan Clarkson" scoring punch off the bench. Sure it's not perfect but you can see what type of identity they were trying to instill.

Rondo has been one of the worst players on the team, net +/-, heck every advanced metric on the books.

JaV is fine b/c he's a minimum player.

Lance was more of a disaster than a help.

Beez is in China right now.

And KCP? Good lord.

These guys represent massive opportunity costs (except JaV) and a flawed strategy. That "identity" is all fluff.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Rondo has been one of the worst players on the team, net +/-, heck every advanced metric on the books.

And KCP? Good lord.

These guys represent massive opportunity costs (except JaV) and a flawed strategy. That "identity" is all fluff.

Like Lebron said.

He did not sign up for this.

I tell you. Magic better get it right this time. or he is out of here.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1109528059533647872

Oldie but a goodie

What a conman. Maybe he can join Alan Foster at BBB.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1109528059533647872

Oldie but a goodie

What a conman. Maybe he can join Alan Foster at BBB.

I've always hated the discussion of god/religion in sports. Rob Lowe knows how to take that to the next level
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And KCP? Good lord.

The Lakers wanted "tough" playmakers that can thrive in transition. Shooting was probably an afterthought(though players that shot well last season ended up falling off) and they probably confused "toughness" with being a good defender.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

If luke ends up injuring lebron playing him heavy useless mins its on the FO for not firing him before the end of the year
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
If luke ends up injuring lebron playing him heavy useless mins its on the FO for not firing him before the end of the year

Both Luke and Lebron are not tanking.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Both Luke and Lebron are not tanking.

That is saddest part of it, they are trying and still sucking hard.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And KCP? Good lord.

Like Lebron said.

Who’s gonna fire him, Jeanie?
J
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And KCP? Good lord.

Like Lebron said.

Who’s gonna fire him, Jeanie?

Well, Phil Jackson's out there.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I have 0 faith in this front office.

I do have faith in LeBron though. I think he’s still able to bring in someone to play alongside him.

Also 6 months of rest will do him wonders.
J
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie is likely the best chance when you factor in his volatile personality. Whatever future plans he makes are never set in stone as he's shown to turn heel at a moment's notice when he's no longer enamored with them.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't have faith in Lebron.....

Unlike Black Mamba, Lebron's mentality is a lot different....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 162 of 174
Jump to: