BLAZERS -at- LAKERS – 4-9-19 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: BLAZERS -at- LAKERS – 4-9-19 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

And So The Offseason Beings… With a flash, a bang and Magic disappearing in a cloud of smoke in his wake – now you see him, now you don’t – the Lakers offseason begins.

It might have been a bit hard to concentrate on the game for players, coaches and fans with Magic Johnson announcing his resignation prior to tip off. An emotional Magic suddenly made the announcement just an hour and a half before game time.

“She gave me full power to do what I wanted to do, but I think that with her and I,” Magic said, “I always want to preserve our relationship and love her. I think I had more fun when I was able to be a big brother or ambassador to everybody.”

He fought back tears as he talked about how much he loved the organization and Jeanie Buss. The Lakers thanked Magic for his work and in a statement that said in part, “As we begin the process of moving forward, we will work in a measured and methodical fashion to make the right moves for our organization.”

With that, the Lakers rolled out the ball, battled with that scrappy G-League crew of theirs and nearly stunned the Blazers. A turnover and a buzzer beater cost the Lakers the win, 104-101. And here we are, the offseason.

Whether you like the coaching staff or the players, the lack of continuity has been hurting the team season after season. If you consistently change rosters, coaches and now even the front office, it is hard to win consistently. It’s as simple as that. The Lakers need to get this offseason right.

Let’s get to it.

Caruso -- -- We ran him big minutes and he felt it. AC struggled a bit tonight offensively, but he was working it out late in the game, however. He had just 2 points on 1-6 shooting in the first half and 10 points on 4-10 shooting in the second half. He had just come up with two clutch scores on a drive and a jumper in the final. Then came the next possession. He got picked on the perimeter before we even got the play going. That gave the Blazers the last chance to win the game and they did. AC was ticked at himself afterward. Tough break. He led the team with a career-high 13 assists, but the 7 turnovers hurt, none more than that last one. “To be honest, I was pretty tired tonight,” Caruso said. You could see that. They needed him to step into the vacuum in that second quarter, but he was sucking wind a bit and couldn’t impose himself. KCP had to step up to try to give him a lift. Some big minutes in the last two. “I’d love to be L.A.,” Caruso said. Hopefully, we can work it out. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-16 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 13 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 7 turnovers and 3 fouls in 41 minutes. He was a +2. The Action: He lobbed to McGee for FTs. Turnover out of a timeout for a dunk the other way. He attacked the paint and hit a short hook. He took a pass from Williams, attacked, and gave it back to him for the dunk. He missed a pull-up from 15 feet. Nice D on iso to force a brick. He hit Jones on the break for a score. He was blocked on a fade in the lane. He broke up a lob pass then missed a three on the other end. He rejected a layup from behind in transition. His post entry pass was picked. He attacked and was blocked. He attacked baseline and found Jones for a layup. Second Half: He missed a wing jumper. He probed baseline and had no one to pass to, turnover. He attacked off a screen and couldn’t finish. He hit KCP and Jones for threes. He attacked, hung and scored a layup. He attacked and couldn’t finish in transition (should have tried to jam on someone). He missed a wing three. Perimeter pass picked off, but he hustled back in transition to force a miss. He got his man on his hip and swished the wing jumper. He couldn’t finish a short one but got it back. He lobbed to McGee on the drive. He crossed over and muscled in a layup with a scream. He probed baseline with McGee screening and lobbed to him for a dunk. He attacked down the lane and drew FTs on a reverse with 1:07 left down 2, he made both FTs to tie it. He sank a pull-up jumper from the top of the key with 43 seconds left to take the lead. He had the ball swiped on the perimeter and the Blazers could hold for the last shot to win.

McGee -- -- He probably had the play of the game…that wasn’t. Bogus foul on a brilliant rejection in crunch time of a dunk attempt. He’d foul out a minute later picking up another, but that was just a bad, bad miss by the refs and it cost the Lakers 2 points…which they could have used. Really, might have cost them the W. Embarrassing fail by the refs. I got to imagine when you are on the court as another ref and your partner blows the whistle on that, got to be an uncomfortable feeling. Anyway, McGee was in foul trouble which limited his action. He did a good job being the last line of defense. The Lakers got a lot of value from him this season. The C spot is definitely not something you need to spend a lot of money on right now as bigs are not commanding a premium. Hopefully, the Lakers can bring him back on a cheap deal. He had good chemistry with LeBron. He and Lopez would have made an excellent tag team this year. McGee on the season: “I’m going to remember out of many things playing for one of the best organizations ever. It was always a dream of mine. It was definitely a blessing and how the fans still embraced us even though we were making the playoffs.” He said he appreciated the opportunity to play extended minutes. Let’s see what the offseason holds. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-6 shooting (1-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 6 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a -8. The Action: He missed a sweeping hook. He was fouled on a throwdown attempt off a lob for FTs. He took a pass on the secondary break, attacked and scored a layup over his man. His bounce pass went between his man’s legs but KCP choked the layup. Horrible outlet, easily picked off (and why you throwing to Muscala on the wing?). He attacked from the wing on iso, stretched out and scored over his man. Moving screen turnover. He attacked from the wing with speed, spun and drew FTs, he made both. He charged running over a guard and had to sit. Second Half: He hammered off a bounce pass from KCP in the middle of the paint. He rejected a shot to get a shotclock violation. He dunked off the lob from Caruso. Pinch post pocket pass to KCP for a layup. Great block to deny a dunk and he was called for a bogus foul with 2:51 left to give the Blazers a 1-point lead, wow. He dunked off the Caruso lob on the other end.

Muscala -- -- Strong effort again from Muscala. He was raining threes. He scored 11 points on 4-7 shooting in the first half, swishing threes from different parts of the court. He’d sink another in the second half and also had a big tip in. It would have been nice to see him more with LeBron or Lonzo or Ingram. All those guys need to play with bigs who can shoot. I assume this was a one and done brief stint with the team as we burned Zubac for no reason, but can’t blame him for any of that. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 6-10 shooting 4-7 from three) to go with 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a -13. The Action: He sank a corner three on a kickout to start the game. He threw a pass away. He swished a wing three on a kickout. He blocked a man in the post. He swished a three in transition on a kickout. He missed a deep three on a swing pass. He scored a layup when Williams found him on the break. He missed a corner three. He missed a jumphook. Second Half: He swished a wing three in transition. He missed a three straight away. He tipped in a miss at the rim.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- He was gunning tonight. He had 17 points on 6-16 shooting in the first half. He was ultra aggressive from the start, but to be fair we didn’t have much in the way of threats on the floor. Caruso was a bit too passive during the second quarter, so a lot of responsibility fell to KCP and he gladly took it. Last game and I get to gun? What’s not to love? By the end of the third quarter, he helped the Lakers take a lead back on a big three. He was just enough of a threat to keep the Lakers in it. Normally, I’d be a bit irritated with the shot selection, but he really had to gun at times just because of the lack of firepower. Now on the offseason. Clearly, I think it would be a failure if we brought him back. That means we had cap space and we didn’t get a big name. The Stats: He scored 32 points on 11-31 shooting (5-15 from three, 5-7 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 8 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 44 minutes. He was a -4. The Action: He sank a pull-up 13-footer from the left side. He was rejected on a layup (should have lobbed). He sank a 15-footer. He missed a jumper from the corner of the key. He sank a 17-footer next time down. He choked a layup off a great pass from McGee. He drained a wing three off a cross-over. He missed a three in transition. Nice cut and Williams found him for a dunk. He got completely tapped on a pull-up three, wow. He drew FTs getting run over, he made both. He missed a chuck from the wing. He pushed out with speed and drew FTs, he made one. He traveled with no call and bricked a three. He curled into the paint and turned it over. He attacked with speed and hit Williams for the layup. He missed a pull-up jumper. He swished a three on a kickout. He missed a wing pull-up jumper. Second Half: He was fouled on a wing three, he made two FTs. He missed a long pull-up jumper. He found McGee rolling in the paint for the slam. He missed an elbow jumper. He missed a layup but Williams cleaned it up. He bricked a step-back three on iso. He swished a wing three in early offense. He iso’d and bricked a three. He missed a three, Jones got it back to him and he swished the three straight away. He attacked in transition and had it stripped off his leg. Nice job embellishing an illegal screen to get the call. He drained a wing three off the handoff from Caruso. He scored a layup off the pinch post with McGee. He missed a three, got it back, missed again. He missed an elbow pull-up jumper. He was called for an off-ball blocking foul in transition (that’s either a no-call or a charge…but not a blocking foul, sheesh).

Jones -- -- They kept him in nearly the entire night. Even after putting in big minutes, he was still giving full-court pressure or going hard after those boards. He led the team with 6 offensive boards and 15 overall to get the double-double. Also, look at the stats for some of those other little things…a couple steals, a couple blocks. And again, we were throwing him and Caruso on the Blazers best players and they worked it out defensively. You can always use versatile defenders. He’s been covering four positions and doing it well. Good job on his 10-day. Man, probably should have scored 15 points as he somehow missed some easy layups that should have added to his total. He needs to work on his handle (some nice push outs tonight, but not much shake or ability to change directions) and also the shot. He sank a three tonight again…just shoot, shoot and shoot this offseason. The Stats: He scored 11 points in 5-13 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 15 boards (6 offensive), 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 46 minutes. He was a -3. The Action: He missed a three on a kickout (Caruso should have tried to finish). He was blocked on a layup. He swiped a pass, pushed it out and hit Moe for the layup. He threw a pass out of bounds. Finger rolled in a layup over a defender on the break. He pushed out a rebound and no looked to Muscala for a three. He pressured the offensive glass and we regained a possession. He blocked Curry’s drive. Help rotation to swipe a pass. He grabbed an offensive board between players and was blocked trying to finish. He tipped in an offensive board later on the same possession. He deflected a pass in the paint to help setup a shotclock violation on D. He took a pass in the paint, spun to lose the D and scored a layup. Second Half: He missed a pull-up wing jumper. He drained a three in front of the Lakers bench. Big offensive board and he hit KCP for a three to take the lead. He grabbed a tough pass in transition and reversed. He missed a pull up at the FT line. He was blocked from behind on a layup. He scooped up a loose ball and choked a layup, but Moe cleaned it up. He missed a putback, but we cleaned up his miss.

Williams -- -- Scrappy double-double from Jonathan. He was tough on the offensive glass. The Lakers had 17 offensive rebounds, outworking the Blazers and that really kept them in the game. Extra possessions and second chances were a challenge for the Blazers all night. Really good improvement from Williams from the beginning of the season. His mobility on D was good early on, but he improved his angles and reads to more consistently be in the right spot. The motor was always going. In the offseason, he needs to continue to work on his shot and strength. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-9 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 10 boards (5 offensive), 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +5. The Action: Give and go with Caruso for a dunk. He gave up a putback score. He traveled on a spin move. He found KCP cutting for a dunk. Great pass deflection pressuring the passer (saved a sure dunk because of miscommunication behind him). He pushed the ball up court and hit Muscala for a layup. He scored a layup off a drive and dish from KCP. He couldn’t finish in a crowd. Short-roll kickout to KCP for three. Good challenge in the paint to force an airball. Second Half: He cleaned up some KCP dribble penetration. He stripped his man on one end, pushed it out and hammered on the other. He attacked and got tapped on the short jumphook. He crashed the glass and threw down the putback jam. He was fouled on a jumphook attempt in transition next time down, he made both FTs. He missed an off-hand jumphook when the play busted out of a timeout.

Wagner -- -- Somehow he led the Lakers with a +11. He certainly avoided the foul issues and even drew a charge. The three ball wasn’t falling but he was able to scrap for a few points at the rim. He needs to put a lot work in his game this summer. Hit the weight room, work on the defensive end, continue to put in time with the shot. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-8 shooting (0-3 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 17 minutes. He was a +11. The Action: He missed a three on a pick and pop. Good job changing ends off Jones’s steal and he scored a layup. He choked a layup on the break at the end of the quarter (didn’t look like he had it cleanly). Quick spin from the elbow out of the horns and he drew FTs on a dunk, he made one. He fouled a jumpshooter. He missed a three. Second Half: He took a pass trailing the break and dunked. He missed a three o a kickout. He drew a charge on Kanter in the post. He attacked and threw it away (just get a shot up and McGee probably cleans it up). He cleaned up a missed layup by Jones. He attacked off the dribble and was blocked.

Bonga -- -- He backed up Caruso and again just seemed like he wanted to stay out of trouble. Very little stats or action in his minutes. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 1 board, 1 block and no fouls in 9 minutes. He was a -5. The Action: Nothing to report. Second Half: He blocked a dunk attempt on help D. He missed a drive left, trying to finish right.

Walton -- -- There was a lot of talk in Magic’s presser that referenced the coaching. Apparently, Magic was ready to let Luke go, fairly or unfairly. Now, it seems, Luke has a chance to continue. It’s still up in the air, of course. But there is now a little uncertainty about Luke’s fate. As I mentioned in the last game, Luke should take it as a sign. The front office should do him a favor if they keep him and say they’d like some changes with his assistants. Regroup, bring in an older mentor, who doesn’t give a $#@! (I mentioned someone like Larry Brown) and tell it like it is to LeBron and whatever star they get. And get a better X’s and O’s guy, who is nuanced in analytics. So, stay tuned… As for the game, Luke had his deep bench unit going toe to toe with the Blazers, nearly pulling off the W… Williams in for McGee, Lakers down 1 midway through the quarter… Bonga in for Jones, Lakers down 3… Moe in for Muscala, Lakers down 3… The Lakers trailed 26-25 after the first quarter… Muscala, Wagner, Williams, Jones, Caruso… Starters back in. Lakers down 1… Bonga in for Caruso… Caruso back in shortly later… McGee out with foul trouble (3) for Williams, Lakers down 3… This unit struggling a bit to score. Caruso needs to be more aggressive. KCP trying to pick up the slack, but forcing it a bit… The Lakers trailed 53-48 after the first half… Down 5, Bonga in for Caruso after 4 minutes… Caruso back in for Bonga. Williams in for McGee… Moe in for Muscala… The Williams, Muscala, Jones, KCP, Caruso lineup cut the once 10-point lead down 2 and forced a timeout with a minute left… The Lakers led 74-73 heading into the fourth… Same Williams, Wagner, Jones, KCP, Caruso lineup… Up 2 when Williams sat for McGee with 7 minutes left… They went up by 5, had it tied back up and led by 2 when a timeout came with 3:44 minutes left. Feisty effort and the Lakers just weren’t going away… Muscala in for McGee out of that… They took a 2-point lead off back-to-back scores by Caruso to force a timeout with 43 seconds left… “We’re not going to talk about the Magic message earlier. I found out the same time you guys did,” Luke said…

Mrs. DB and Family -- -- Well, another season is a wrap. Thanks to Mrs. DB and the kids for putting up with it all! A lot of planning around my schedule to do this. For my LG family, this was a weird season. I feel like I could probably write another 20 games, but I definitely did some load management like the LeBron and the Lakers in the final games. It was not fun to watch vets phoning it in. It wasn’t until Luke went all in with the young guys that it was enjoyable again to watch, win or lose. They needed to do that sooner. So…on to the draft lottery, trades, free agency and the summer league. I imagine it’s going to go by slooooowww.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

First.

Hella season, DB.

Thanx.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

DB,

Great job as usual. Keep up the great work and get some rest. This is going to be a LONG offseason!

This team at the end was very scrappy and actually fun to watch. They played the kind of basketball I expected to watch all year. This season was a DUD! But there is always next season. Bring back Jerry West as VP and promote Ryan West to GM and the Lakers will be good. Don't see Buss doing it and don't even know if Jerry would come back at this point. Time will tell.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank you very much for doing these and sacrificing your time for its sake.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the good work all season once again. I wish I was able to read all of your ratings this season.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

DB --
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for another season DB!!
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

Thank you for another year DB. This one had to be the toughest yet.

Gotta admit, didn’t watch much post all star. Only read your recaps
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Always putting in work.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject:

Insightful posts like these were a rare bright spot in this otherwise subpar Laker season. Much appreciated, DB!
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
DB --

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject:

IF Wagner, Muscala, Jones, Caruso and Williams need only KCP and McGee to be on par with Blazers and several other playoff-bound teams...
Imagine if they were joined with some real superstar...
Like LeBron James, for example......

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

And now we wait.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! You're the MVP.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for all the great work you did for us this season!!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks for everything DB!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks for another great year, DB. Hopefully you never have to go through another season as perplexing and disappointing as this one.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

DB - THANK YOU for another season of excellent T&R's!! Thanks go to your family as well.

Here's hoping for a lot more happy faces after these T&R's next season! And post season, hopefully.

Enjoy the summer, and once again - thanks DB!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

THANK YOU DB!
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

Thank you DB! My only wish is that you would be doing T & Rs for another 2 months
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks, all. Very much appreciated.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, we pressed through yet another awful season. I don't know how we'd survive without you.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. You've gone above and beyond this season.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for yet another season, DB. I've been reading your post game analyses for years - your efforts are as incredible as they are appreciated.

Enjoy the next few months of rest!!
Cheers
microbe obliterator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

hail to the (editor-in-) chief!!

lakers record the past several years may be in the pits, but:

LakersGround = Always #1!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: