Magic on the backstabbing with Lakers/Jeanie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Everyone in this team was leaking stuff to the press.

Jeanie
Magic/Pelinka
Lebron/Klutch
Luke/staff
The players who rolled their eyes at Magic and lost trust in LeBron

Magic leaving is huge, but all we're doing is throwing out the spoiled food when we need to spray for roaches.

Magic made decisions that directly resulted in a poor on-court product, though, and when you're losing so many games with expectations as high as they were, people are going to start pointing fingers. That's just natural. In that sense, getting rid of Magic was one of the best things we could've hoped to accomplish this summer.

That, and also it sounds like he's very much responsible for creating a culture of even having that need to defend yourself through the media and get your story across. He undermined Luke from Day 1. He tried to trade all those young players in bad deals. It looks like he left Rob with all his day-to-day responsibilities and blamed him when things went south. So yeah, people like Jeannie and Lebron are gonna play their games in the media but it's arguable that Magic contributed to most of our problems (and really the only person Jeannie has gone after is Jim).
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

It could of been about the AD trade. They may of had an agreement, then screwed us.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Magic said he had agents calling him...telling him that Rob been talking about him behind his back..

https://twitter.com/JustRyCole/status/1115881391814787072?s=19

Yeah we're seriously overestimating how attractive this job is. What a nightmare. KD wasnt even scratching the surface with his "toxic" remark. It's like Chernobyl here right now. It could be years before the air is breathable here.

This for sure has to nuke any potential interest from the top tier FAs. It's gonna be down to the don't-care-as-long-as-they-cut-the-check guys.

Butler
DMC
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Jeanie
Magic/Pelinka
Lebron/Klutch
Luke/staff

Magic leaving is huge, but all we're doing is throwing out the spoiled food when we need to spray for roaches.

Magic made decisions that directly resulted in a poor on-court product, though, and when you're losing so many games with expectations as high as they were, people are going to start pointing fingers. That's just natural. In that sense, getting rid of Magic was one of the best things we could've hoped to accomplish this summer.

That, and also it sounds like he's very much responsible for creating a culture of even having that need to defend yourself through the media and get your story across. He undermined Luke from Day 1. He tried to trade all those young players in bad deals. It looks like he left Rob with all his day-to-day responsibilities and blamed him when things went south. So yeah, people like Jeannie and Lebron are gonna play their games in the media but it's arguable that Magic contributed to most of our problems (and really the only person Jeannie has gone after is Jim).

Oh Magic was absolutely the worst offender.

But Jeanie has been doing this since Dr. Buss died, starting with Jim. She's undoubtedly been the leak on numerous stories.

Then you have LeBron/Klutch doing whatever they can the protect LeBron's legacy, enhance is ability to win now, and get other Klutch clients either paid by the Lakers, traded to the Lakers, or showcased for other teams.

We might have killed the wasps, but we didn't knock out the hive. They'll be back.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Magic said he had agents calling him...telling him that Rob been talking about him behind his back..

You do know that quoting from a BS post by nobody on Twitter, isn't a real source nor does it support your comment.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Yeah we're seriously overestimating how attractive this job is. What a nightmare. KD wasnt even scratching the surface with his "toxic" remark. It's like Chernobyl here right now. It could be years before the air is breathable here.

This for sure has to nuke any potential interest from the top tier FAs. It's gonna be down to the don't-care-as-long-as-they-cut-the-check guys.

Butler
DMC

You don't think if we show Rob the door, and hire an FO team worth a damn, the summer can't be salvaged? I don't know...I mean I don't necessarily trust Jeannie to hire the right replacement(s), but I could see the appeal of a fresh start at the management (and maybe even coaching) level. The stink is bad right now, but in two months, why should Magic still be affecting the thinking of free agents when he's nowhere near the team?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

You do know that quoting from a BS post by nobody on Twitter, isn't a real source nor does it support your comment.

Lots of Lakers reporters, Rachel Nicols, Eric Pincus etc follow him. He's not a nobody on Twitter.

Magic didn't deny when Rachel asked about backstabbing with in the org so I don't buy he was talking about other teams argument.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Butler
DMC

You don't think if we show Rob the door, and hire an FO team worth a damn, the summer can't be salvaged? I don't know...I mean I don't necessarily trust Jeannie to hire the right replacement(s), but I could see the appeal of a fresh start at the management (and maybe even coaching) level. The stink is bad right now, but in two months, why should Magic still be affecting the thinking of free agents when he's nowhere near the team?

It all comes to Jeanie. Will she hire someone good? And truly let them do what they think is best?

Or do they have to keep Luke?
And promise a "second star" is the #1 priority?
Etc.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Butler
DMC

I don't know what NBA players think, but I was always dubious that Magic's charisma would be that big a draw. The guy has always reeked of BS, and I'm not sure who actually buys his spiel. I'd rather have a competent GM with some kind of track record who thinks he needs to do more to recruit a free agent than smile and flash rings he won as a player 30 years ago.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject:

I think it’s clear it’s Rob.
He isn’t well liked around the league.
Other people around the league don’t even pick up his call.
There was some talk be it SAS so that’s not a great source - months ago - that Magic and Rob were not on the same page.

Jeanie has to hire a new president and GM.
Can not let Rob continue.
He adds no value.

Neither the league respects or wants to negotiate with him.
A new POB wouldn’t feel comfortable either.

I think Magic truly loves the Lakers and Jeanie. Hate on him all you want, he helped bring Lebron here and has positioned the Lakers to have two or possibly three stars after this summer. All draft picks intact. He made mistakes but for comparison sake look at the job Phil did in NY or what Jim was doing in LA. Not a single bad longterm contract handed by Magic. Meanwhile Jim agreed to sign Deng and Moz to max deals.

I still love magic. He bleeds PnG. Rob is a cancer and snake. He needs to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:

Are we sure he's talking about the Lakers? Maybe he's talking about other team owners and specifically how the AD ordeal went down
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

I’m thinking it’s Paul George or someone in the media like SAS or Windhorst. All the negative press has been earned, but from Magic’s perspective, they were friends that he trusted. Magic should have known this ain’t show-friends... it’s always about generating click traffic. It’s always about conjuring up drama. And Magic played the chess game not knowing how to control the pieces, while the rest of the league were playing beyond basic strategy.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think it’s clear it’s Rob.
He isn’t well liked around the league.
Other people around the league don’t even pick up his call.
There was some talk be it SAS so that’s not a great source - months ago - that Magic and Rob were not on the same page.

Jeanie has to hire a new president and GM.
Can not let Rob continue.
He adds no value.

Neither the league respects or wants to negotiate with him.
A new POB wouldn’t feel comfortable either.

I think Magic truly loves the Lakers and Jeanie. Hate on him all you want, he helped bring Lebron here and has positioned the Lakers to have two or possibly three stars after this summer. All draft picks intact. He made mistakes but for comparison sake look at the job Phil did in NY or what Jim was doing in LA. Not a single bad longterm contract handed by Magic. Meanwhile Jim agreed to sign Deng and Moz to max deals.

I still love magic. He bleeds PnG. Rob is a cancer and snake. He needs to go.
I think RP and Magic (the FO version) are both snakes. Something about guys who always put on a smile for the camera and butter you up always rubs me the wrong way.
malcolm
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

What if . . . 80% of the core lineup (Ingram, Rondo, James, Ball) isn't injured this season (?)

Do the Lakers win just 10 more games and make the playoffs (?)

I say: probably yes.

Is this Magic Johnson designed season then a minimal success (?)

I say: probably yes.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Jeanie
Magic/Pelinka
Lebron/Klutch
Luke/staff

I, for one, can't WAIT for Magic's media tour
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
I’m thinking it’s Paul George or someone in the media like SAS or Windhorst. All the negative press has been earned, but from Magic’s perspective, they were friends that he trusted. Magic should have known this ain’t show-friends... it’s always about generating click traffic. It’s always about conjuring up drama. And Magic played the chess game not knowing how to control the pieces, while the rest of the league were playing beyond basic strategy.

I doubt someone in the media affected Magic that much. And even if so, I truly doubt its Stephen A. SAS goes extremely easy on Magic and even today was pretty much the only one defending him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: