ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
sonn wrote:
troy wrote:
KBH wrote:
People were saying the things ESPN is saying now on LG months ago. How is talking about the truth hating?

Because negativity equates to hate, and nothing but negativity drives down the value of the franchise. Could be why we don't have PG here.

Yes, PG saw some negative posts on a message board and that was the deciding factor for him staying in OKC.

That is some Grade A (bleep).

No solely, Einstein, but possibly a contribution. PG wanted to come to the Lakers. Then he started getting bad intel from other NBA players (eg Brewer) about the Laker organization. And I'm sure he checked out some of the local media's twitter accounts and forums and pretty much made up his mind. He wanted to come, and then he decided not to. Something caused that to happen.

Nope.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
sonn wrote:

That is some Grade A (bleep).

No solely, Einstein, but possibly a contribution.

You demand that people stop "hating" and then you mock them. Interesting approach.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:
ESPN is about as anti-Lakers as you can get. The sports media, in general, hates the big market teams, especially LA. To make it worse, most Americans hate California anyway, especially Los Angeles (Hollywood).

So, our Lakers are out here on an island, everybody everywhere hating on us.

My question then is this; why should we, as Laker fans on LG, just add to that hate?

Yes, we have been horrible for the past 6 seasons, but there were signs of success this season, and we are (potentially) in a great position for next season. But if we fans just confirm all the biased hate against OUR team, doesn't that make us, as Laker fans, seem even more pathetic? Won't this continued buy-in to this notion that our Lakers are sooo dysfunctional just make our team less desirable for superstars to want to come here?

I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people". If they read all this Laker hate coming from LAKER FANS...why in the hell would they think they'll get any support if they come here? And if we don't attract quality players, then we will just remain a non-playoff team for years to come. Is that what LG Laker fans want?

To make it worse, the local sports media reads the Laker hate on twitter and boards like LG and that just empowers them to continue with their Laker hate stories. We, as fans, are destroying our own chances of getting back on track.

I mean, can't we lighten up on OUR OWN TEAM, or is the LG fans' desire to trash the Lakers worth killing our chance of attracting quality players here?

Is it worth it?

The Lakers get cheered for wherever they go. ESPN loves the big market teams, especially the Lakers. Every year they predict how many games each team will win and there is an uproar in here that they didn't pick the Lakers to win more games. Other than 2008 and maybe 2017, they usually ended up being well over the actual laker win total. They also predict every free agent is coming here.

Seriously, I don't know why people think ESPN hates the Lakers of all teams. When I watch, the Lakers are all they seem to care about.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

Treble Clef wrote:

Seriously, I don't know why people think ESPN hates the Lakers of all teams. When I watch, the Lakers are all they seem to care about.

I think it's along the same lines as declaring that a story that doesn't support your self-interest is "fake news."

For some fans, "hate" simply means any opinion that is not fawning praise for a player or team they like. If you're not kissing butt, you're hating -- there's nothing inbetween
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Victim mentality rearing its ugly head.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ESPN does not hate the Lakers. If anything, they love what a Trainwreck it's become. Every day there's a new schadenfreude. A Three Stooges routine unto itself.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Victim mentality rearing its ugly head.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Lol the lakers deserve the hate right now after magic quit on them in such an ugly fashion.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:
I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people".

Why would you assume that?

Right. Somehow I doubt LG is the center of the Lakers universe in this manner. And anyway what does that have to do with ESPN? People do whine here a lot but aside from being annoying I don’t think there are any long-term effects LOL
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
troy wrote:
ESPN is about as anti-Lakers as you can get. The sports media, in general, hates the big market teams, especially LA. To make it worse, most Americans hate California anyway, especially Los Angeles (Hollywood).

My question then is this; why should we, as Laker fans on LG, just add to that hate?

Yes, we have been horrible for the past 6 seasons, but there were signs of success this season, and we are (potentially) in a great position for next season. But if we fans just confirm all the biased hate against OUR team, doesn't that make us, as Laker fans, seem even more pathetic? Won't this continued buy-in to this notion that our Lakers are sooo dysfunctional just make our team less desirable for superstars to want to come here?

I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people". If they read all this Laker hate coming from LAKER FANS...why in the hell would they think they'll get any support if they come here? And if we don't attract quality players, then we will just remain a non-playoff team for years to come. Is that what LG Laker fans want?

To make it worse, the local sports media reads the Laker hate on twitter and boards like LG and that just empowers them to continue with their Laker hate stories. We, as fans, are destroying our own chances of getting back on track.

I mean, can't we lighten up on OUR OWN TEAM, or is the LG fans' desire to trash the Lakers worth killing our chance of attracting quality players here?

Is it worth it?

Then what is the purpose of a sport board?

To discuss solutions to issues, not to constantly gripe about the same thing. Our, to celebrate successes (young cores development, cap space, Lebron just being here). Yeah, I get that griping is a part of it, but the idea, at least behind LG, is to not lay on the negativity so thick.

Why do you think LG MODS came up with the now defunct Piss and Moan thread?

The purpose of the board is to debate and inform. If you only want positive news , then why come on to the board?

Coach Wooden
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

activeverb wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I think it's along the same lines as declaring that a story that doesn't support your self-interest is "fake news."

For some fans, "hate" simply means any opinion that is not fawning praise for a player or team they like. If you're not kissing butt, you're hating -- there's nothing inbetween

I wouldn't say ESPN is "hating" because they are a corporation that will look after their own best interests, so it's strictly business. Trump and CNN are a match made in heaven, Trump loves being talked about and trolling the media, and CNN loves covering Trump if he so much as runs out of toilet paper.

I think what pisses most of us off about ESPN is how they are a glorified gossip column nowadays, with all of their programs and talking heads literally just speculating and gossiping on air 1 hour at a time. SAS is the poster boy for ESPN's marketing strategy. Woj was good until he went there and turned into a hack. I strictly use them for BREAKING NEWS nowadays, like last night I saw the post that Magic stepped down, was in disbelief for a few seconds, then checked ESPN. That's about all they are good for.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I don’t hate the Lakers or anyone associated with them (now that Dwight is gone). But when they do something stupid like hiring inexperienced rookies to run the team I will criticize it. I’m sure that if you agree you would call it a discussion or if you disagree you would call it hate. ESPN doesn’t hate the Lakers, Fox Sports doesn’t hate the Lakers. But if there is something to report they will do so.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

trablos wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I wouldn't say ESPN is "hating" because they are a corporation that will look after their own best interests, so it's strictly business. Trump and CNN are a match made in heaven, Trump loves being talked about and trolling the media, and CNN loves covering Trump if he so much as runs out of toilet paper.

I think what pisses most of us off about ESPN is how they are a glorified gossip column nowadays, with all of their programs and talking heads literally just speculating and gossiping on air 1 hour at a time. SAS is the poster boy for ESPN's marketing strategy. Woj was good until he went there and turned into a hack. I strictly use them for <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> nowadays, like last night I saw the post that Magic stepped down, was in disbelief for a few seconds, then checked ESPN. That's about all they are good for.

If you're getting "news" via television, it's generally entertainment that is designed to anger and upset you so you keep watching rather than inform you.

And that's what most people on this board want. They are more likely to start a thread based on some story that angers them ("Can you believe they said this?") rather than some thought-provoking story that leads to a genuine discussion. There are very few discussions on LG; but there's a lot of venting, hoorahing-for-my-side and other emotional outbursts.

I mean, this thread is an emotional outburst: "Will everyone quit talking about stuff I don't want to hear!?!"

ESPN, as a corporation, really has no more emotion about this than NBC does when it runs a cop drama. SAS is just one of ESPN's actors, not much different than an actor who is playing a character on an NBC cop drama. In both cases, if the numbers fall, ESPN and NBC will change the programming to what people want to see.

I am not much of a TV or talking head watcher, so I am more likely to read stories on ESPN web site than watch people talking. And the articles on the sites of places like ESPN, CNN and even Fox tend to more balanced than the TV programming, so my view of these places is probably different than most people.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:

Is it worth it?

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT. It is really pathetic. Team fans in todays social media, control the narrative. How many times do we here TV and radio sports pundits repeat the same BS we hear around here?? Sometimes it is cool, but lately, it's kind of pathetic. Lakersground is driving the narrative and it is going to ruin our team. This one is going to take decades to beat. Something that people need to realize that once you are down, you can't turn it around on a dime. Like you say, the players won't want to come here because they know it won't be any fun. When the fans don't support the team, the players or the owners, nobody will want to come here. Anyone who thinks that there is no truth in this is delusional. I understand it is not everything, but it is part of the equation. We are ruining the environment. I guarantee you that the Clippers fans are laughing at us big time, so are Celtics fans, so are Spurs fans. Everyone who hates us is loving this.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

We missed playoffs for 6 years straight. Couldn't get to playoffs even with Bron thanks to the roster build around him without shooters which most of the media criticized last summer itself. Missed only 5 times in our entire history before that. Bashing is due to the high standards being set and how terrible we have been under Buss kids.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject:

Nice write up Troy. ESPN does have an element that undisputedly hates the Lakers (just like other sports channels/shows). However, we can not pigeon hole the entire network as haters because there are many elements that are big Laker fans and supporters. In fact, I will add that I am friends with one of their commentators who loves the Lakers.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject:

I'll watch a game on that network if I have a desire to see said game. Other than that, I watch nothing they have on offer. My tolerance for insipid sports talking head shows (including the halftime shows) ran out long ago, on any network/platform.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

Imagine thinking ESPN hates the Lakers in 2019 (or really any team really). Some people are die hard homers to the core I suppose. Even if they did hate the Lakers, they've deserved it. Bottom 5 franchise over the past 5 or so years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Remember, Lakers have the WORST record in the NBA for the past 6 years combined.

Should ESPN and other media be praising them for this vaunted achievement?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
It's a discussion board...

Then lets discuss...not constantly gripe and complain. There is a difference.

Please. You can't try to set the parameters of the discussion while still calling this a discussion board.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
troy wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
It's a discussion board...

Then lets discuss...not constantly gripe and complain. There is a difference.

Please. You can't try to set the parameters of the discussion while still calling this a discussion board.

You can set parameters if you are the owner or moderator of the board. And then people simply choose if they want to participate under those parameters.

You can't set parameters as a mere participant of the board, though people try to do that all the time. They'll start a thread, and then become upset if the discussion goes in directions that doesn't interest them and they'll tell people to get back on track. Of course, these parameters are typically ignored, and people do what they want.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: