Finally, something relevent from ESPN- what the Laker players actually think
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Finally, something relevent from ESPN- what the Laker players actually think

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26493400/kcp-lakers-lost-trade-deadline

Likely, this ESPN writer was fishing for drama, hoping to back his flawed gossip via actual statements of Laker players, but...he failed.

This simple article reflects pretty much everything I've been saying, what Kobe and Shaq have said, and other NBA retired players have said...The season was lost mostly due to injuries, according to the ACTUAL LAKER PLAYERS.

Even beyond this article, I've read the same thing from other ACTUAL LAKER PLAYERS. Not once...not once, have I heard bad things, or even marginal things, said against Luke Walton, whom I now outright support for returning as head coach (albeit with better assistants). Nor have I heard bad or marginal things said about the Laker front office...FROM ACTUAL PLAYERS, INCLUDING THE VETS WHO WILL NOT HOLD THEIR TONGUES.

The other thing is that the ACTUAL LAKER PLAYERS all got along this season, that they even grew closer together as a team as the season ended, and that they enjoy playing in Los Angeles, and pretty much all the vets want to return to the Lakers.

This tells me that team chemistry is good. That the Laker players are still playing for each other, and they support one another. When a team is in turmoil, you don't hear these sorts of things from the actual players. You hear suggestions, hints of discord. And yet, not ONE current Laker player has went that way. Not one.

Lastly, ACTUAL LAKER PLAYERS recognize how hard the media is on them. How impatient, dramatic, and flakey Laker fans are (Kobe said it best years ago). This is exactly the same stuff I've been saying here on LG.

None of what is being said or has been said reflects this doom and gloom, Chicken Little drama, click bait commentary of the usual sort from ESPN and the local media. The local sports media will have you believe that the Lakers are in complete disarray, that the organization is completely dysfunctional, and that playing on the Lakers is a recipe for disaster. And of course, frustrated Laker fans are feeding this agenda like flies swarming dog-sht.

N.o.t.h.i.n.g. from one ACTUAL LAKER PLAYER suggests that there is deep turmoil on the team, or in the organization. Injuries derailed a playoff run, and Magic quit because he hated the stress of being an NBA team president.

That's it.

We will come back healthier, and Jeannie will hire someone else to be president.

That's it.

And yet, ESPN, the local media, and frustrated Laker fans will continue running around with their hair on fire, bucked eyed, screaming like a pack of chimpanzees, absolutely insisting that this Laker organization is collapsing in chaos.

Bullsht.

We have a solid young core. We have Lebron James. We have cap space. We will very likely sign key players this offseason, and soon, we will have a new president to run it all properly.

That is the reality, not the fantasy.

Not making the playoffs due to injuries and have Magic move on to other pursuits is NOT indicative of all this wide-spread dysfunction LG fans and ESPN have showcased in their anti-Laker agenda.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

Troy, you've been on a roll. This article was setup to be a hit piece and ended up being a truth piece. at least he still posted the players actual quotes vs mis quoting them to fit his agenda and leaving out other stuff.

Now this is the funny part. guys were on the block, other guys are 1 year rentals. and listen to them

Quote:
Still, other players said all the trappings that came with the Lakers this season -- even the unfortunate things out of their control -- were worth it.

"I would say it's a lot of distractions, obviously. We're in the media every day, whether it's good or bad. But like I said, I think as long as you're close with teammates and the locker room's good, that's all that matters," Ball said. "The outside noise doesn't really mean too much. If whoever wants to come or is coming, I would say that. Stay close-knit, no matter what, through it all.

"Living out here and growing up here, I know how it is playing in L.A., so I wasn't surprised when I came in. But the fans love you as long as you're doing your job."

Listen to what Mcgee said. if this aint recruiting i dont know what is.

Quote:
Center JaVale McGee, an impending free agent who declared his desire to re-up with the franchise and return for the 2019-20 season, said he could get used to life as a Laker.

"There's opportunities on and off the court here," McGee said. "We had the most TV games out of anybody, and they were coming from a losing season -- or we were coming from a losing season. That's just showing you how much spotlight and how much opportunity there is being with the Lakers, if you're winning or losing. It's just opportunity out of anything. Anyone who wouldn't want to take advantage of that opportunity just because their fear of the spotlight is childish."

Uh oh, Javale said this, not some old school laker. not some old school fan. but a current player said the same thing more or less what kobe said, said the same thing i've been saying. If you dont want to be a laker and you're not some boston native. something aint right with you.and you're scared to death. thats all it is. there's a reason PG never took the meeting with magic. he was afraid magic would convince him to become a laker. so he avoided him so he could hang out with triple double russ and the thunder looking good being noticed and if he has an off night, no one will care in OKC nor the prime time media.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

I don't think the TEAM felt as badly about the season as the media portrayed it.

I don't think the team felt as badly about the Front Office as our fans are portraying it.

We should think about what will help and stop feeding into the media click bait Laker Hate.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

These are professional answers to a reporter's question from professional athletes. Even if they had issues with Luke, Magic, etc., there's no benefit to these guys to stir things up, so I would expect them to blame things like media, injuries, trade rumors, which are all safe things to say.

By no means am I saying these guys aren't telling the truth. But I didn't read this and feel I was in the presence of people who are opening up the content of their hearts. it's pretty much the type of thing I would expect any athlete to say coming out of an exit interview when a reporter walks up to them holding a notepad and asks them to explain a bad season, especially guys like this, veterans who have been around the block.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
I don't think the TEAM felt as badly about the season as the media portrayed it.

I don't think the team felt as badly about the Front Office as our fans are portraying it.

We should think about what will help and stop feeding into the media click bait Laker Hate.

Players only say what makes everyone happy, and not burn any bridges.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

I think for the most part, when reading the body of an article and not just the headline, you realize most journalists arent out to attack players/organizations. I have a feeling that most journalists don't even get to come up with the headline and it's the editors who are trying to get clicks who come up with outlandish titles.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

I am not sure why you are so desperate for others to believe what you want them to believe.

troy wrote:
Injuries derailed a playoff run, and Magic quit because he hated the stress of being an NBA team president.

That's it.

No, I believe you are very much wrong, and I think the majority thinks there were more issues beyond injuries. Again, if you want to believe that, thats fine, but you are probably going to have to accept being in the small minority on the subject.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

Injuries were a problem because of poor roster construction, where any piece is missed.

Take Toronto for example: Kawhi played 60 games, Lowry played 65 and Valanciunas+Gasol played 56. Still, they've always kept the pace.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

This is great. Athletes always say exactly what they're thinking. They're famous for their candor with any and all subjects. When there's a problem, the media is the first to know!

Everything we've been hearing is simply made up. All is well in LaLa Land. Also, Santa is real.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

I read the article, and most players said injuries and the AD distraction. This obsession with ESPN being out to get the Lakers is a bit much IMO.

Coach Wooden
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

So what do you make of Magic's backstabbing comments? Was he lying about that?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I mean, you got fans that know the drill and you got your panty pincher "fans" who deny, deflect and attack.

I go by what the actual Laker players say, instead of clueless, frustrated LG fans. You got your LG fans that tend to be emotional about everything, unless they get their way. Even when the actual Laker players are telling them what's up, they still deny it and say...ubba ubba, no, he didn't really mean that, what he really meant is...

Wow. How dumb.

Dudes are so desperate to push their anti-Laker agenda they'll even invent sht that the Lakers are thinking and saying. Pathetic and weak.

As long as LG continues to allow thread after thread of panty pinchers attack my Lakers, I will continue to defend the organization. Even if I am the only one doing it.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
This is great. Athletes always say exactly what they're thinking. They're famous for their candor with any and all subjects. When there's a problem, the media is the first to know!

Everything we've been hearing is simply made up. All is well in LaLa Land. Also, Santa is real.

Yeah! Let's blindly believe all the anonymous unsourced speculation but totally disregard what the players actually in the organization living it day-in and day-out actually go on the record to say.

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
So what do you make of Magic's backstabbing comments? Was he lying about that?

No, but do you know the true context, or are you going to just invent sht that fits your agenda? Backstabbing could be a reference to other GMs, or the media, or rouge ex Lakers that badtalk the Lakers because they got kicked to the curb.

And maybe there is some Front office bullsht going on. But you seriously don't think other teams deal with that? don't know of any office environment, in any capacity, sports or otherwise, that doesn't have your brown-nosers and backstabbers.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Yeah! Let's blindly believe all the anonymous unsourced speculation but totally disregard what the players actually in the organization living it day-in and day-out actually go on the record to say.

Nailed. It.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/eM8AU
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

Magic quitting says more about magic, than the state of the Lakers.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I'll believe that over players just trying to earn their next contract, who gain nothing but distraction by badmouthing their organization. This is Media 101 stuff along the lines of "whatever helps the team win." The kind of clippings that get eaten up by the "This Is Fine" comic strip dogs.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I'll believe that over players just trying to earn their next contract, who gain nothing but distraction by badmouthing their organization. This is Media 101 stuff along the lines of "whatever helps the team win." The kind of clippings that get eaten up by the "This Is Fine" comic strip dogs.

Dudes are so desperate to push their anti-Laker agenda they'll even invent sht that the Lakers are thinking and saying. Pathetic and weak.
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Dude prolly believes every random wannabe “reporter” on Twitter. But our players. LIES!
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Injuries were terrible or "terble", as Charles would say. But add back Randle &
Lopez and the outcome could have been much better.

Maybe we get a nice consolation prize from FA this season again; let's see.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

It's not like the media doesn't have its own reasons for trying to create drama.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I don't blindly assume anything. I don't assume anonymous sources are being honest, and I don't assume that people speaking to reporters on the record are being truthful.

I don't assume that information that says something I like is true simply because I like it. I don't assume information that says something I dislike is false simply because I dislike it, though I know that's very common these days.

I think you need to take all the information and look at it together. The comments the players made at the exit interview are worthwhile to consider, but they are only one very tiny part of the total information we have at our disposal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Yeah, I mean, you got fans that know the drill and you got your panty pincher "fans" who deny, deflect and attack.

I go by what the actual Laker players say, instead of clueless, frustrated LG fans. You got your LG fans that tend to be emotional about everything, unless they get their way. Even when the actual Laker players are telling them what's up, they still deny it and say...ubba ubba, no, he didn't really mean that, what he really meant is...

Wow. How dumb.

As long as LG continues to allow thread after thread of panty pinchers attack my Lakers, I will continue to defend the organization. Even if I am the only one doing it.

I find your obsession with panties disturbing
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:

Wow. How dumb.

I find your obsession with panties disturbing

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: