Why do we do this every time? When Injuries are by far the #1 reason we are losing games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
My overall take of the season is that the BALL,LBJ,MCGEE is a key to the season failure. Ball is the key player to the season just for his energy and def alone. Mcgee is getting sick contributed greatly to our failed season. We just a mess of a club with inconsistent lineup all throughout the year. For a team built to learn to play with each other this year losing so many player left n right cause us the cohesion time we need to be a good team.

Even if all of that is true (and most of it is), you cannot build a team around the assumption of perfect health. That is especially true with these guys. McGee had well publicized respiratory issues before we signed him. Lebron turned 34 and had a ton of mileage. Ball missed the second half of last season with an injury.

Every team has injuries. Through March 1, we had an ordinary level of injuries. You can say that injuries derailed our season, and that may literally be true if your standard for comparison is perfect health. But if the level of injuries necessary to derail our season was foreseeable (and it was), then this should tell you that we had a deeper problem.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It is a myth that we have an unusual number of injuries. This is a common misperception in sports: fans of a team do not have a basis for comparing their team's injuries to the injuries on other teams.

Go here, and find the chart that was posted on March 2:

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNBA

The x-axis is the total games lost due to injury. The size of the bubble is based on the impact of the games lost, based on one of the metrics (I don't remember which one they use -- maybe win shares). There are ten or more teams that have bubbles about the same size as ours. (The underlying data is behind a pay wall. If someone feels like dropping the bucks, go for it.)

So yes, it comes down to team construction. We could not withstand a level of injuries that was ordinary.

Funny how the TC ignores this post since it basically destroys his argument on an objective basis.

Top 5 teams with most games missed by injured players

1. DEN
2. CLE
3. PHI
4. BRK
5. CHI

Top 5 teams with wins lost due to injured players

1. GSW
2. CLE
3. TOR
4. NOP
5. HOU

Lakers no where near either list, so injury excuse doesn't fly.

So I guess several NBA analysts, NBA legends, and the entire Laker roster is wrong. But hey, you're right, so that's all that counts

So when presented with teams that had injuries you are admitting that they have better players, deeper rosters, better coaching staff, etc. So basically they run their (bleep) right as compared to the Lakers who had LBJ and couldn't make the playoffs.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Fact. We had the worst big man rotation of all 30 NBA teams.

We begin with our stretch 5 rookie?? Nursing an all summer long knee injury.
We begin with an starting 5 who hasn't shown more than 16 mins. Per game his all career.
We begin with KKuzma as our first sub at 4 or 5 because MBeasley wasn't available.
We begin with IZubac resembling he was running a marathon.

We do remedy?? Signings of J Williams & the Corspe of TChandler who played 3/4 good games.

Then the scrambling begun playing people out of position. LeBron not wanting to play PF. Kuzma leaving the bench. Turnovers, miss FT and no 3pt. And finally the injuries came. More position and role shuffling.

It was the roster construction. Brook and Julius played all games the year before. People talk about LeBron and Rondo after xMas but we also lost McGee with the Pneumonia. Rapidly the people forget we present a lineup of Zubac, Kuzma, BI, Hart & Lonzo just as early as Late Dec or early Jan. Yes, maybe some other teams had more injuries but none had a starting lineup of 5 puppies.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DLaker wrote:
My overall take of the season is that the BALL,LBJ,MCGEE is a key to the season failure. Ball is the key player to the season just for his energy and def alone. Mcgee is getting sick contributed greatly to our failed season. We just a mess of a club with inconsistent lineup all throughout the year. For a team built to learn to play with each other this year losing so many player left n right cause us the cohesion time we need to be a good team.

Even if all of that is true (and most of it is), you cannot build a team around the assumption of perfect health. That is especially true with these guys. McGee had well publicized respiratory issues before we signed him. Lebron turned 34 and had a ton of mileage. Ball missed the second half of last season with an injury.

Every team has injuries. Through March 1, we had an ordinary level of injuries. You can say that injuries derailed our season, and that may literally be true if your standard for comparison is perfect health. But if the level of injuries necessary to derail our season was foreseeable (and it was), then this should tell you that we had a deeper problem.

If you look at the injury summary I did, I just pointed out key players that factored to the season. If BI went down, Hart filled in well, Rondo out Zo more than filled the job, Kuz go out it wont hurt much cause LBJ can fill in nicely. Mcgee's going down is tough we have no players in the club that intimidate shot like him. Zo going down stops our energy and def at the point. LBJ going down lost our only player in the club that demands a double team. Injuries or even major injuries to the other players, IMO we still could have a successful season. But major injuries to Zo, LBJ and Mcgee cause us the year. If we just lost those 3 to minor minor injuries I feel we would still have a successful season. This is where club construction could have help, but I don't know who u could have filled or signed in the summer in on those spot Zo,LBJ Mcgee that could have save the season for us, but still keep our flexibility.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Ya'll are being dense when it comes to our injuries.
Name the best player on every team in the league.
Now name the 2nd best player on every team in the league.
The gap between 1st and 2nd is the largest in the league for our roster. Even Greek Freak has an allstar teammate in Middleton.
When we were healthy and winning games, we never knew who would be our 2nd best player in a given day. Sometime Lonzo, sometimes Ingram, sometimes Rondo. All three of those guys missed a month+. Kuzma stayed the healthiest. But when 3 starters all miss that amount of time. And Rondo was playing great as well right before his broken hand. This is what happens.

With that said, our FO made mistakes. Should've held on to DLO, Randle, and Brook.

But lets not pretend injuries didn't knock us out of the playoffs. The closest injury comparison I can think of to this season is when OKC missed the playoffs that 1 time in the last decade. The season where Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka all missed a month +.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The gap between 1st and 2nd is the largest in the league for our roster. Even Greek Freak has an allstar teammate in Middleton.
When we were winning games, we never knew who would be our 2nd best player in a given day. Sometime Lonzo, sometimes Ingram, sometimes Rondo. All three of those guys missed a month+. Kuzma stayed the healthiest. But when 3 starters all miss that amount of time. And Rondo was playing great as well right before his broken hand. This is what happens.

With that said, our FO made mistakes. Should've held on to DLO, Randle, and Brook.

But lets not pretend injuries didn't knock us out of the playoffs. The closest injury comparison I can think of to this season is when OKC missed the playoffs that 1 time in the last decade. The season where Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka all missed a month +.

I did. I made a thread showing the Toronto/Lakers comparison and how one team is now a #2 seed in the East while the Lakers are hoping for ping pong magic again.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
When we were winning games, we never knew who would be our 2nd best player in a given day. Sometime Lonzo, sometimes Ingram, sometimes Rondo. All three of those guys missed a month+. Kuzma stayed the healthiest. But when 3 starters all miss that amount of time. And Rondo was playing great as well right before his broken hand. This is what happens.

^ This and also to add the timing of the injuries, such as when we lost all of our PG's and had to rely on Ingram to fill the role with no replacement on the bench
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The gap between 1st and 2nd is the largest in the league for our roster.
Even Greek Freak has an allstar teammate in Middleton.

I did. I made a thread showing the Toronto/Lakers comparison and how one team is now a #2 seed in the East while the Lakers are hoping for ping pong magic again.

Bolded. They have Lowry. Lebron getting injured hurt us more than Kawhi resting back to backs.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Bolded

So, isn't that a team construction problem? That's my point.

I agree injuries ravaged the team. That isn't disputed.

What is at dispute (and really shouldn't be) is the team construction. We had 30m in cap space and the best we could do was KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez? That's your injury insurance?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Ingram at 21

18.3 PPG 51.8 eFG% 49.7 FG% 33.0% 3pt% 5.1 RPG

Khris at 21

6.1 PPG 48.9 eFG% 44.0 FG% 31.1% 3pt% 1.9 RPG
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They have Lowry. Lebron getting injured hurt us more than Kawhi resting back to backs.

And Siakam (not a lottery pick). They also had assets to trade for Marc Gasol and other depth pieces.

In short, Magic and Co. built a house upon LBJ; one groin pop later it all collapsed.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

What is at dispute (and really shouldn't be) is the team construction. We had 30m in cap space and the best we could do was KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez? That's your injury insurance?

Lowry was in Toronto before Jim and Mitch officially took over. That's how long he's been there. I'm sure if Magic and Rob inherited an all star, we'd look alot like Toronto.

Those Lakers signings are all 1 year deals with the plan to get all star talent this free agency. Meanwhile Toronto is in a different position. When Magic and Rob took over, Toronto had already been to the playoffs 3 times. They already had their 2 all stars. And since then, they've swapped star for star in a trade. Talent has been there for half a decade. While Jim and Mitch were striking out on all star free agent after all star free agent. Year after year after year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lowry was in Toronto before Jim and Mitch officially took over. That's how long he's been there. I'm sure if Magic and Rob inherited an all star, we'd look alot like Toronto.

Those guys are all 1 year deals with the plan to sign someone this offseason. Meanwhile Toronto is in a different position. When Magic and Rob took over, Toronto had already been to the playoffs 3 times. And since then they've swapped star for star in a trade. Talent has been there for half a decade. While Jim and Mitch were striking out on all star free agent after all star free agent.

So you think Magic's team construction was sound? I totally disagree with that and I think you do too if you think we should have kept Brook/Jules.

My point isn't about injuries, it's about how this team was built to withstand injuries given everything you said above.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It is a myth that we have an unusual number of injuries. This is a common misperception in sports: fans of a team do not have a basis for comparing their team's injuries to the injuries on other teams.

The x-axis is the total games lost due to injury. The size of the bubble is based on the impact of the games lost, based on one of the metrics (I don't remember which one they use -- maybe win shares). There are ten or more teams that have bubbles about the same size as ours. (The underlying data is behind a pay wall. If someone feels like dropping the bucks, go for it.)

So yes, it comes down to team construction. We could not withstand a level of injuries that was ordinary.

Funny how the TC ignores this post since it basically destroys his argument on an objective basis.

1. DEN
2. CLE
3. PHI
4. BRK
5. CHI

1. GSW
2. CLE
3. TOR
4. NOP
5. HOU

So I guess several NBA analysts, NBA legends, and the entire Laker roster is wrong. But hey, you're right, so that's all that counts

So when presented with teams that had injuries you are admitting that they have better players, deeper rosters, better coaching staff, etc. So basically they run their (bleep) right as compared to the Lakers who had LBJ and couldn't make the playoffs.

Injuries derailed the season. I would then mention coaching, a new team that didn't develop chemistry, and a very tough Western Conference. If I was nitpicking, I'd say the Front Office failed to sign competent outside shooters. I guess it comes down to how much one reason versus another is to be faulted on a percetange scale. So, I'd put injuries at a HUGE number one reason, and I'd place a very small percentage to front office signings.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Ingram and Kuzma have higher scoring averages than Siakam and Lowry, Middleton and Bledsoe, Tatum and Morris, Bojan and Sabonis, Dinwiddie and Harris, Drummond and Reggie, Murray and Harris, Capela and CP3, Gobert and Rubio, Tobias and Jimmy, Gordon and Fournier

Of playoff teams only the Clippers (Gallinari), Warriors (KD/Klay), Blazers (CJ), OKC (Westbrook), and Spurs (DeRozan) have higher scoring second options than the Lakers

The problem is poor team construction and terrible morale... not talent.

If LBJ and Maginka didn't demoralize the team... we'd probably still would have made the playoffs.

(And yes I know scoring isn't everything... but I think some of you have an exaggerated notion about how great other teams second options are)

You can win with a good team... the tired trope about only superstars winning championships is exaggerated.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

So you think Magic's team construction was sound? I totally disagree with that and I think you do too if you think we should have kept Brook/Jules.

My point isn't about injuries, it's about how this team was built to withstand injuries given everything you said above.

The best way to combat injuries is to get a 2nd all star. That means signing 1 year contract players till you get that all star.

Maybe there were better options for 1 year players last free agency. I dunno.

But we had 2 young players miss a month + too. Might not have mattered.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

1. DEN
2. CLE
3. PHI
4. BRK
5. CHI

1. GSW
2. CLE
3. TOR
4. NOP
5. HOU

Injuries derailed the season. I would then mention coaching, a new team that didn't develop chemistry, and a very tough Western Conference. If I was nitpicking, I'd say the Front Office failed to sign competent outside shooters. I guess it comes down to how much one reason versus another is to be faulted on a percetange scale. So, I'd put injuries at a HUGE number one reason, and I'd place a very small percentage to front office signings.

I'm agreeing that injuries derailed the season.

But I'm going deeper into why we were so wholly unprepared to at least stay afloat when LBJ went down. We lost games to teams that were basically purposefully tanking.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Seems like most agree injuries derailed the season. The disagreement appears to be whether we accept that as an excuse or not.

Had the Lakers not rescinded Randle’s QFO and signed Lopez for 1 year 3.3m instead of letting the Bucks do it and maybe even IT as 3rd string PG for 1yr 2 mil the injuries likely would not have derailed the season. That is the point of poor roster construction being the reason, not injuries. The roster could have easily been one that could have withstood the temporary ones we faced.

It shouldn’t have, but Injuries derailed the season because of poor roster construction that should have easily been foreseen and prepared for with options that were thrown away.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Seems like most agree injuries derailed the season. The disagreement appears to be whether we accept that as an excuse or not.

Had the Lakers not rescinded Randle’s QFO and signed Lopez for 1 year 3.3m instead of letting the Bucks do it and maybe even IT as 3rd string PG for 1yr 2 mil the injuries likely would not have derailed the season. That is the point of poor roster construction being the reason, not injuries. The roster could have easily been one that could have withstood the temporary ones we faced.

It shouldn’t have, but Injuries derailed the season because of poor roster construction that should have easily been foreseen and prepared for with options that were thrown away.

DING. I mean if that wasn't obvious already. Of course losing LBJ/BI/Lonzo hurts. But what was the backup plan?

A terrible one.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DLaker wrote:

I'm not sure if what's being said here is actually arguing this. Every team need depth in case their main rotation guys get hurt. At least to ensure the team is competent and doesn't completely suck when they do. It's a huge reason we got Rondo in case Ball went down again.

It sounds like what is really being said, is that we didn't perform up to our expectation (at least making the playoffs) because of injuries. This team has more than enough talent to at least squeak into an 8th seed, so that expectation was set. The injuries prevented us from reaching our expectation. I don't think it's reasonable for any team to assume that they should still expect to play at the same level if their main rotation guys are out. Is it really fair to set expectations at the same level as the pre-injury team?

It's not an excuse, it's just a shift in expectation.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

To everyone calling for the "next man up philosophy," that's a bunch of crap. The real fact is that NO.... WINNING team endured the numbers of KEY injuries the Lakers did, to as many different positions as the Lakers did, for as long as they did.

Warriors lost Curry for a little while. Ok.
Pacers lost Oladipo all year but had other good pieces apparently.
Leonard didn't play every game.
NO comparison to the number of key players the Lakers were without.

In pre season KCP said Hart was really good, but most or all of the season he's been a shell of himself without making excuses.

Javale was ineffective AFTER coming back from pneumonia.

Kuzma has faded from being called a star/Lebron's Robin, to being called no better than Clarkson, and now he's sitting out. Should I believe the nagging injury that he had during the game he was about to get over 50 against Houston didn't affect his play?

For the first time since his rookie year, Lebron couldn't drag a rotation including a bunch of G leaguers into the playoffs. Must be the coach, gm, owner, trainer.

Think what you want, but I can't agree with these half/untruths and omissions.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
For the first time since his rookie year, Lebron couldn't drag a rotation including a bunch of G leaguers into the playoffs. Must be the coach, gm, owner, trainer.

Think what you want, but I can't agree with these half/untruths and omissions.

That's not true at all. This isn't about LBJ. It's about the 28m in cap space and the way they chose to use it. He wasn't dragging GLeaguers, he was dragging "Playoff Rondo" and "Tough Playoff Man Lance" and "KCPlease."
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I agree roster makeup could have been better, but with all the blame how can the roster be built properly better.

PF least important position (Randle as PF - Kuz and LBJ fill in the spot)

C need an anchor on Def is Brooks (12.5 pts, 4.9 reb 45.2% FG 2.2blks really better than Mcgee (12.0pts 7.5 reb 62.4% FG 2.0 blks) making less money

PG need with Zo inexperience and one better than Rondo last summer

SG any player we could have signed better than KCp and still be flexible

All the anger must be stemming from signing Lance and Beasley, but 2 other no roster moves the FO could have made this summer could have salvage the injury riddled season, but still be flexible. If you have names please feel free to spill it.

Ball, BI, LBJ, Kuz, Mcgee
Rondo, Hart, KCP, Wagner, Zu, Caruso, Williams, Bonga, Svi

14 spot filled (+2 two way player) who are the 3 difference maker we could have signed to salvage our season filled with injuries.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

If Steph goes down for a significant amount of time, most would agree that GS could still breeze into the playoffs, but would no longer be the runaway favorite to win it all. That's shifting expectation based on reality. Most people thought of us as maybe a 5-8 seed fully healthy, so the expectation would shift when we lose half our starting lineup for 70+ games causing us to miss the playoffs. If you knew how our injuries would play out before the season, would you be expecting playoffs?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If you have names please feel free to spill it.

This has been done many times in many threads.

But you have Brook/Jules, this team is in the playoffs. Combined they make less than KCP + Lance. So you'd have another 9m in Rondo's deal and Beez's room exception level deal. You could have easily fielded a better team.

We're not talking about going 17-1 when LBJ is out. But with some roster continuity (Brook/Jules) and shooters with the 9m/room exception we could have gone .500 and not missed the playoffs in those 18 games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: