Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 151 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 226

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.

And yet the mods closed the "White Male Sports Privilege" thread.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
believeNmagic32 wrote:
Magic most likely talked a big game and expressed his commitment to the job. Jeanie should have identified Magic's limitations, which was everything outside of impressing marquee free agents in pitch meetings.

Doubling down on Rob was most definitely the WRONG move. Once again, Jeanie doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, in this case Kobe.

She had no problem hurting her own brother's or long-time GM Mitch's feelings.

THIS X 100!

People who characterize Jeanie as a weak little girl who doesn't have the "balls" to make the tough calls haven't been paying attention.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.

Utterly repulsive.. what's been happening on this board. Grown men hurling insults at a woman, while crying and whining about a game. A game.. A game..

Nothing life altering or threatening. A game.. I'm actually surprised at what I've been seeing.

Very true and the biggest problem is that nobody here really knows what is happening in that FO, all they do is speculate without any proof. The media will always jump on a story and the biggest story in town is the Lakers. This is how they make their money. In fact the Lakers get more media coverage than most teams that are currently in the playoffs.

When you say "speculate without proof", do you mean like how the posters you've replied to (i.e., @Username and @SocalDevin) appear to have assumed that the starter of this thread is a "grown man"... without reading the thread itself and seeing the part where she (i.e., @kobe_luver) says she's a woman who is just calling things as she sees them?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of these "insults that are being hurled" at Jeanie for being a woman?

Dude - get your head out of the ground.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

Sexism??? How is anything I said due to sexism?

By the way....I am a woman myself.

I'm not saying you specifically. I didn't mean to make it seem like that, I'm just remarking it here because this is a thread about her being removed. I'm just talking about this forum in general.

Criticize Magic = racism.

Criticize Jeannie = sexism.

This is how we got to where the Lakers are. No one there wants to listen to criticism and learn from it.

Who said anything about racism with Magic? If you need to create straw men to help your argument, maybe you should re-think your argument.

There have been posters who have tried to shoot down any criticism of Magic by calling it racist.

They are part of what I think of as the “You’re a Hater” crowd.

They have very strong opinions, but they hate to be challenged, so when that happens they tend to dismiss opposing posters as “racists,” “haters,” etc.

They seem to think that using sweeping generalizations, accusations, and emoticons gives them a pass from having to genuinely support their point of view.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Can we actually just talk about Jeannie and Magic's accomplishments/lack thereof during the past 6 and 2 years?

Yes, there are idiots on any messageboard/social media who will resort to sexist and racist tropes.

But there are also lots of thoughtful posters here who want to evaluate how things have gone under her and his watch. Can we do that?

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie Buss is the common denominator in all of this.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Facts.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I usually hate Rob Parker but he's saying what we're all thinking now

Jeanie Bust
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Damn, that's a major screwup. Adding up to quite a sequence of mistakes under her reign. Now, with Magic deserting, and Luke firing, she's standing alone facing an angry Laker nation.

Jeanie at least needed the charisma of one of those guys, Luke or Magic, to help her navigate through this mess, fend off some of the arrows. All she got now, is sorry excuse of GM, Pelinka.

Last edited by rami34 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Fire the boss, sounds like a solid plan.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie is weak. Couple that with her delusions that anyone she hires has to have Lakers ties and the answer is a resounding yes: she should step down immediately.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

If Pelinka continues to shut out the younger Buss boys they could team up with the older Buss boys and do just that.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Username wrote:

Utterly repulsive.. what's been happening on this board. Grown men hurling insults at a woman, while crying and whining about a game. A game.. A game..

Nothing life altering or threatening. A game.. I'm actually surprised at what I've been seeing.

Very true and the biggest problem is that nobody here really knows what is happening in that FO, all they do is speculate without any proof. The media will always jump on a story and the biggest story in town is the Lakers. This is how they make their money. In fact the Lakers get more media coverage than most teams that are currently in the playoffs.

That's nothing compared to what they said about the black guy.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

If Pelinka continues to shut out the younger Buss boys they could team up with the older Buss boys and do just that.

One could only hope.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jeanie was around for Jim/Mitch, then Magic/Rob, and whoever replaces Magic/Rob.

She has been the constant. We can blame the Departed as much as we want but she has always hovered above them all.

She had no say in the Jim and Mitch era. Dr. Buss put Jim in charge of basketball operations and she sat off to the side and let him do his thing. The only hires you can directly relate to her are Magic and Rob.

"No say..." I'm not sure about that.

My point is, at some juncture you take the credit/blame as the highest person on the org chart. For that, there is a lot of fair criticism. You can call out the individuals making actual sexist comments, but other legit criticism cannot be shielded by that.

Sure, if you think Magic and Rob were bad hires, that is completely understandable and valid. It's a matter of opinion. My counter to that would be it's too soon to judge any of these moves.

Well, let's see.

Magic walked off the job in a pretty humiliating fashion.

We signed LBJ and missed the playoffs.

Rob's rep is tattered and the whole organization is a mess.

There's a difference between "we can turn things around" and "right now, we are a mess." Right now it's the latter, with the HOPE of the former.

You see a mess and that's fine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see a team that was besieged by injuries, still has LeBron James, a lottery pick, money for a max slot, and several talented young players.

This season was a disaster, but it doesn't mean the future has to be.

Don't waste your energy, my man. LG whining is like therapy. The whole board is a P&M thread. I finally got the hint.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

Sexism??? How is anything I said due to sexism?

By the way....I am a woman myself.

I'm not saying you specifically. I didn't mean to make it seem like that, I'm just remarking it here because this is a thread about her being removed. I'm just talking about this forum in general.

Criticize Magic = racism.

Criticize Jeannie = sexism.

This is how we got to where the Lakers are. No one there wants to listen to criticism and learn from it.

Who said anything about racism with Magic? If you need to create straw men to help your argument, maybe you should re-think your argument.

There have been posters who have tried to shoot down any criticism of Magic by calling it racist.

They are part of what I think of as the “You’re a Hater” crowd.

They have very strong opinions, but they hate to be challenged, so when that happens they tend to dismiss opposing posters as “racists,” “haters,” etc.

They seem to think that using sweeping generalizations, accusations, and emoticons gives them a pass from having to genuinely support their point of view.

Who would do such a terrible thing
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
You really can't even answer this without offering an alternative. If you are screaming for her to sell without thinking of the consequences then you need to put some more thought into what a profit-driven non-Buss owned team will do.

what consequences ....

how many more years do you need to realize she is not qualified.

https://twitter.com/jeaniebuss
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
trablos wrote:
You really can't even answer this without offering an alternative. If you are screaming for her to sell without thinking of the consequences then you need to put some more thought into what a profit-driven non-Buss owned team will do.

what consequences ....

how many more years do you need to realize she is not qualified.

https://twitter.com/jeaniebuss

That profile picture
That's the person running the Lakers! Unbelievable.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Well, she was part of the denominator a year ago, too, when the team she hired took a great leap forward with the excellent draft picks.

What changed is Magic was seduced by the opportunity to sign Lebron James, accepting all the baggage that comes with it.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The Buss family should sell the team. They are a disgrace to Dr. Buss and his legacy. I'm so sick of this family and their petty drama.

A disgrace for what exactly???

Aren't we all jus talking about basketball here?

Did she do something shameful or immoral?

You guys act like your life is directly adversely affected by her decisions.

She owns the team, it's her property. The amount of disrespect being thrown at her is ridiculous. It's just basketball guys.. That's all this is about, a game. Try to remember that. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

I kind of agree and disagree with both of you.

Realistically, sure, it's her property and she isn't going to sell just because fans are upset. I suspect her real attitude would be, "If you don't like it, quit following the team; there are plenty to take your place."

On the other hand, there's no particular reason fans need to respect her. She's a public figure and people can complain about her all they want. That's part of the territory when you sell a product that depends on people having a strong emotional connection and sense of ownership of it, as sports teams do.

That's fine, and I understand the connection one feels. But the fact of the matter is that we don't have any ownership of the team.

At the end of the day men put on colored uniforms and run up and down a court, and put a ball into a round hoop while jumping really high. Are we really going to ridicule her for not being good at managing the people who manage the operation of this game, where men run up and down a court? Is it really that serious? Are lives on the line? Should she really be disgraced?

It's just a game.. It's just a game.. It's just a game.. Calm down.. smh

I wonder what your thoughts would be if instead of a she it was a he. People have been ridiculing bad sports owners since BC. Why are you being a white knight here? Jeanie has showed zero creativity in owning a sports team. She has literally asked her friends to “fix it” for her. No desire to find management talent outside of people that have been speed dials on her phone for decades. She is over 50 years old but her demeanor is that of a 20 years old.

All that said I’m not ready to quit on her yet. The next 3 years LeBron is running the Lakers. That is a fact. After Bron is gone she has to show some creativity. If not, then she needs to go. Not that it will happen. See Dolan and Sterling.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

so calling someone out now is sexism? People here were calling Jim a coke head, alcoholic, idiot when he was here and it was fair game? Even Ireland and Mason commented on Jeanie and her personal connections. Imagine if we hire Becky hammon and we rip her like weve ripped every coach on here...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:

disagree
Jeanie is receiving only a fraction of the criticism Jimbo had here when he was the one pulling the strings
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

My understanding that based on the trusts and the outcome of the settlement with Jim and Johnny that they couldn’t vote Jeanie out of the controlling director position. Their only recourse is to vote to sell the team. For all extents and purposes, she owns the Lakers until none of them do.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The Buss family should sell the team. They are a disgrace to Dr. Buss and his legacy. I'm so sick of this family and their petty drama.

A disgrace for what exactly???

Aren't we all jus talking about basketball here?

Did she do something shameful or immoral?

You guys act like your life is directly adversely affected by her decisions.

She owns the team, it's her property. The amount of disrespect being thrown at her is ridiculous. It's just basketball guys.. That's all this is about, a game. Try to remember that. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

I kind of agree and disagree with both of you.

Realistically, sure, it's her property and she isn't going to sell just because fans are upset. I suspect her real attitude would be, "If you don't like it, quit following the team; there are plenty to take your place."

On the other hand, there's no particular reason fans need to respect her. She's a public figure and people can complain about her all they want. That's part of the territory when you sell a product that depends on people having a strong emotional connection and sense of ownership of it, as sports teams do.

That's fine, and I understand the connection one feels. But the fact of the matter is that we don't have any ownership of the team.

At the end of the day men put on colored uniforms and run up and down a court, and put a ball into a round hoop while jumping really high. Are we really going to ridicule her for not being good at managing the people who manage the operation of this game, where men run up and down a court? Is it really that serious? Are lives on the line? Should she really be disgraced?

It's just a game.. It's just a game.. It's just a game.. Calm down.. smh

I wonder what your thoughts would be if instead of a she it was a he. People have been ridiculing bad sports owners since BC. Why are you being a white knight here? Jeanie has showed zero creativity in owning a sports team. She has literally asked her friends to “fix it” for her. No desire to find management talent outside of people that have been speed dials on her phone for decades. She is over 50 years old but her demeanor is that of a 20 years old.

All that said I’m not ready to quit on her yet. The next 3 years LeBron is running the Lakers. That is a fact. After Bron is gone she has to show some creativity. If not, then she needs to go. Not that it will happen. See Dolan and Sterling.

To be clear, I'm not saying that many of the criticisms aren't warranted. As noted on other occasions some of it has been excessive and demeaning. I also don't intend to stifle the expression of frustration. I just feel like some of you might be just a bit overly invested emotionally. At the end of the day we're just talking about basketball.

I also don't believe we have any say on whether or not she relinquishes ownership of her property, simply because we don't like how she manages it.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject:

As I opined in this space the other day, despite the fact that the Buss family owns the team, the Lakers are in many ways a public trust. Jeanie Buss is the head of the franchise because that’s what her father wanted, and based on that I assume the good doctor thought she was the most qualified of his children to take that mantle.

Well, Dr. Buss has been gone for 6 years, and we haven’t made the playoffs for 6 years. I have been rooting for Jeanie and given her every benefit of the doubt along the way.

Up until two years ago we were told endlessly, including by Jeanie in a few ominous interviews, that it was all Jim’s fault. Well, he’s gone now, and Jeanie and apparently her BFF Linda Rambis are running the team. So are they up to the task or not?

Magic leaving the way he did was a disaster and unfair to Jeanie for him to do that, and the way he did it. But she’s in charge now, so it’s up to her to figure it out and get it done. Or not.

To date, she has done nothing imo to justify the faith that her father placed in her. So it seems to this Laker fan that it’s time for her to produce results. That’s business. The fact that she’s a woman is meaningless to me. She’s in charge, and the success/failure of the team is her responsibility in the end.

If she’s not up to the task, then she should sell the team. This organization is now undeniably a train wreck. It’s up to Jeanie Buss to fix it or get out. The end.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15
Jump to: