NBA GM: Pelinka was the original Rich Paul when he had Kobe

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: NBA GM: Pelinka was the original Rich Paul when he had Kobe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-nba-reaction-20190410-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Quote:
When asked how Lakers controlling owner Jeanie Buss can turn her franchise around, agents and general managers were succinct with their answers.

“I just don’t see how they do anything going forward with Rob in place,” one agent said. “No one trusts him.”

One agent said Buss needs to let a new president decide on the best course with Lakers coach Luke Walton, but he also said Pelinka, who was not available to reporters Wednesday, has to be let go.

“Honestly, they need to hire an experienced general manager with credibility and let him fire Rob,” the agent said.

One general manager said they were willing to deal with the inexperienced Johnson when he had the job, but that front office people did not have a good relationship with Pelinka from his days as an agent representing Kobe Bryant and other high-profile players.

So how does one do business with Pelinka?

“Obviously you can’t. I can’t,” an agent said. “I haven’t even done any business with him, because either I don’t have something that he wants or he just won’t respond to stuff.”

Another Eastern Conference GM said an easy parallel is that Pelinka used to be Rich Paul.

“This is how I would describe Rob Pelinka to Jeanie,” the general manager said. “He was Rich Paul. He was when he had Kobe.”

SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

HHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka

Rich Paul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

DO IT RICH!
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't like GM Palinka for all the reasons mentioned but I don't get the Rich Paul parallel.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

lol no
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Most agents have similar personalities in terms of their snakiness. Not sure why this is at all surprising. Pelinka might be the extreme of it though.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

but he quotes scripture...
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Agents/GMs around the league should always be looking at deals that are best for their team/client.

If they decide they "won't deal" with the Lakers just because of Pelinka due to personal issues, then they really are doing a disservice to their client and should be fired.

Over the years, I'm sure an adversarial relationship develops between front offices and agents, but to have that color your judgment is really unprofessional.

This article sounds like "sour grapes" bs to me.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA GM: Pelinka was the original Rich Paul when he had Kobe

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-nba-reaction-20190410-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Quote:

“Obviously you can’t. I can’t,” an agent said. “I haven’t even done any business with him, because either I don’t have something that he wants or he just won’t respond to stuff.”

Um, yeah? Why would someone do business with you if you don't have anything they want? And how do you know anything about them if you haven't done business with them? I'm not a fan of Rob, but this is just dumb.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, this is getting silly at this point.. I'm far from a big supporter but do people really believe most gm's and agents are all kind hearted and looking to make sure they do not hurt anyones feelings? If the Lakers didn't have injury issues and went into the playoffs as a top 4 seed you would not be hearing any of this at all imo.. Things are going bad so people are now seeking and looking for any information they can to pile on this dumpster pile of a season and make it look as bad as possible plus on top of that it's the Lakers.. Most people outside of Laker fans legit HATE the franchise so this is there time to gloat and laugh as much as possible.

I'd love to replace him as well but some of the reasoning is extremely far fetched and is almost comical.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

Pull up a chair...let me tell you a story
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA GM: Pelinka was the original Rich Paul when he had Kobe

Bol wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:

Um, yeah? Why would someone do business with you if you don't have anything they want? And how do you know anything about them if you haven't done business with them? I'm not a fan of Rob, but this is just dumb.

Yeah, that quote stuck out to me too. Made me wonder if the writer simply pumped a couple of GMs and agents to badmouth Pelinka. All of their criticisms were either vague or didn't make much sense. I'm not saying he's a great GM but this piece sure felt like a hatchet job
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Agents/GMs around the league should always be looking at deals that are best for their team/client.

If they decide they "won't deal" with the Lakers just because of Pelinka due to personal issues, then they really are doing a disservice to their client and should be fired.

Over the years, I'm sure an adversarial relationship develops between front offices and agents, but to have that color your judgment is really unprofessional.

No. When you have developed a terrible professional reputation no one wants to do business with you because you have proven to be untrustworthy, unprofessional and/or an a-hole. It isn't sour grapes--who's sour that the Lakers are a perennial lottery team? It's called Rob burned bridges when he was an agent. I'm not sure why this is difficult for people to wrap their heads around.

The disservice to one's team and/or client would be dealing with a person that you know is not professional and does not deal in good faith. Why would you risk your own professional standing dealing with such a person?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

No. When you have developed a terrible professional reputation no one wants to do business with you because you have proven to be untrustworthy, unprofessional and/or an a-hole. It isn't sour grapes--who's sour that the Lakers are a perennial lottery team? It's called Rob burned bridges when he was an agent. I'm not sure why this is difficult for people to wrap their heads around.

The disservice to one's team and/or client would be dealing with a person that you know is not professional and does not deal in good faith. Why would you risk your own professional standing dealing with such a person?

I have yet to hear anyone go on record with disparaging remarks about rob.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

I have yet to hear anyone go on record with disparaging remarks about rob.

Realistically, it would be unlikely for an agent or GM to go on the record with negative comments. They'll say the nice things on the record, the bad things off the record.

Pelinka's reputation was scarred by the Carlos Boozer where he reportedly reneged on a handshake deal.

But that was a decade ago. Pelinka has been very successful, and very tough. Both of these things have created some jealousy among other agents and antipathy among GM.

So it's not shocking that some of them would take potshots at him under the cover of anonymity.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: