LeBron James School Crushing Expectations ... Huge Gains In Test Scores
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That’s great, but it saddens me to read that the conditions had the kids in the 1st percentile to start. This tells us how horrendous the educational conditions in Akron have gotten.

Well somebody has to be in the first percentile. Unless we are just giving out participation trophies here.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

This is awesome.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Lebron stays stat padding lol
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Bump. I wanna see who can really hate on this.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

So you're telling me the longer kids are in school, the better they begin to read? This is revolutionary.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

It pretty much reads as if these were kids who were getting no educational attention or support and have now been placed in a great learning environment.

Even with that, they went from the absolute bottom, to still deeply entrenched in the bottom quartile.

Going forward, what you hope happens is that this school ends up unlocking significant potential in a number of children (even one child would be worth it), and they end up having a number of huge success stories of kids who go on to college and have great careers because they were pulled out of failing inner-city schools and placed in a strong environment.

The narrative that is presented by so many that "this is America, where everyone has an opportunity" is based upon a lot of false pretenses.

While I agree that a "poor" kid who is raised in a two-parent home (or who at least has one dedicated parent), who is fed every day, and is sent to a reasonable school, has the opportunity to work hard and achieve success; that misses the reality that there are so many who are born into poverty, don't have access to resources, sleep in a different shelter every night, and/or get bounced from family member to member (or foster parent to foster parent), and lack the stability in their lives to be able to focus consistently on their education.

Kudos to Lebron, and others, who are willing to invest millions to give these kids an opportunity.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

LeBron ain't teaching the kids...

This dude is trying his best to be great at everything except for basketball to mask the fact that he is just an average basketball player.
nbcbballthemesong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Pretty cool.

What would be interesting is to understand how much money this school spends per student versus what the other local public schools are spending per student.

I'm assuming Lebron's school actually spends less per kid.....and if that is true it would be nice if they shared their "lessons learned" with the public school district.

I'm also a big believer in finding the diamonds in the rough and helping them shine. Would be smart if one of the school's objectives was to maximize the districts talented student potential i.e. separate and cater to them as opposed to the rest of the student population.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I got you fam..

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

This dude is trying his best to be great at everything except for basketball to mask the fact that he is just an average basketball player.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Kudos to Lebron.

I think one of the most important things a professional athlete can do is visiting kids in the hospital, kids in school, truly being a hero.

Making a sacrifice is an important way to help change the future. If LeBron's school can pave the way for some of the children to make their way out of poverty, gangs, and into a brighter future; I think that is a more important legacy than championships.

Though the rings are nice too.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I got you fam..

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Leave Darth alone. I’m sure he contributes greatly to society in his spare time. 😂
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Did you not just see the scandal with Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman?

I think the concept is great, and that we should spend billions upgrading education instead of bombing third world nations.

However, unless this is activated on a broad scale, it's only a feel good story that affects a tiny number of lotto winners.

The reason I bring up Loughlin and Huffman is that wealthy people rig test results all the time.

They could be legit... but this is a PR campaign for a superstar that has enormous pressure to succeed. So, color me skeptical if everything is perfectly on the level.

Throwing money at one school is nothing... we need to prioritize education and healthcare over war on a nationwide scale and not be satisfied with an ambitious person's PR campaign.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I think the concept is great, and that we should spend billions upgrading education instead of bombing third world nations.

However, unless this is activated on a broad scale, it's only a feel good story that affects a tiny number of lotto winners.

The reason I bring up Loughlin and Huffman is that wealthy people rig test results all the time.

They could be legit... but this is a PR campaign for a superstar that has enormous pressure to succeed. So, color me skeptical if everything is perfectly on the level.

Throwing money at one school is nothing... we need to prioritize education and healthcare over war on a nationwide scale and not be satisfied with an ambitious person's PR campaign.

You’re right. Let’s send an LG caravan over and bulldoze the hell out of his school. 🙄 Screw Lebron for not repairing our broken educational and health care system. And he calls himself the King. 🤥

How’s that school that Kobe built by the way? 🤔
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Honestly... This is irrelevant to anything which matters in reference to LeBron as a Laker.

LeBron is a temporary employee. If you want to call him a consultant, I can go with that too. He is NOT a Laker and NEVER will be a Laker. He is here to pursue movies and whatever else personal he can.

If the Lakers manage to build a team, LeBron might put forth enough effort for us to compete. Other than this arrangement, I wouldn't care if LeBron built a third Death Star and put me in charge of it. He's not a Laker and any non-Laker news is irrelevant to me.

Win a Championship. That's the arrangement. Don't give a damn care about anything else he does.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

You’re right. Let’s send an LG caravan over and bulldoze the hell out of his school. 🙄 Screw Lebron for not repairing our broken educational and health care system. And he calls himself the King. 🤥

Remember when someone like Gates or Bezos makes some billion dollar donation... that they are mostly giving away money they stole in the first place.

It's like if I went and stole your life savings... then I gave 10% of it back as a charitable donation.

Would you think I'm a great person?

Now in the case of LBJ, I would agree he's probably just being a good person. I don't think he rigged the market like the tech industry did.

But he's going to be a billionaire and that school is a drop in the bucket for him financially versus the good will and publicity that brings.

My only point is don't deify already super rich people who are giving a tiny fraction of their money to charity. Most of us would do the same were we in the same position of wealth.

I commend him for doing so... but someone asked for a contrarian spin and I gave one.

If he did it privately or gave away 90% of his wealth... then you could start comparing him to Jesus or Mother Teresa.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Remember when someone like Gates or Bezos makes some billion dollar donation... that they are mostly giving away money they stole in the first place.

It's like if I went and stole your life savings... then I gave 10% of it back as a charitable donation.

Would you think I'm a great person?

Now in the case of LBJ, I would agree he's probably just being a good person.

But he's going to be a billionaire and that school is a drop in the bucket for him financially versus the good will and publicity that brings.

My only point is don't deify already super rich people who are giving a tiny fraction of their money to charity. Most of us would do the same were we in the same position of wealth.

I commend him for doing so... but someone asked for a contrarian spin and I gave one.

If he did it privately or gave away 90% of his wealth... then you could start comparing him to Jesus or Mother Teresa.

If LeBron gave a bum some pocket change he'd post a picture of himself doing it on Instagram along with a hashtag congratulating himself.

#akronpocketchangegiver
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: