News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Why would they knowing that Jeanie Buss would be their boss. I am sure she cares and means well, but she is far out of her element. Even her father saw that.

Why did Dr Buss make her the governor?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Magic knifed this summer's "big fish" free agent hopes in the back before they could even start. Frankly, I think he should be a pariah in the organization for the foreseeable future, but the goodwill and joy he brought many of us in the 80's makes it particularly hard to rationalize. If you're young and never saw it though you shouldn't have that problem.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Why would they knowing that Jeanie Buss would be their boss. I am sure she cares and means well, but she is far out of her element. Even her father saw that.

Old men have hopes for their kids. He wanted Jeanie to run the business side and Jim to run the basketball side. From that perspective, it makes sense that Jeanie would be the governor. But Dr. Buss did not put Jeanie in charge of the basketball side. That was supposed to be Jim, but Jeanie started meddling as soon as Dr. Buss was gone. This is not to say that Jim was competent, of course. But now Jeanie is in charge of everything, which was certainly not what Dr. Buss had in mind.

I hope that she will learn on the job and start making better decisions. However, there is no reason to expect that she will be any more competent than her brother. This is a classic second generation cautionary tale.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Old men have hopes for their kids. He wanted Jeanie to run the business side and Jim to run the basketball side. From that perspective, it makes sense that Jeanie would be the governor. But Dr. Buss did not put Jeanie in charge of the basketball side. That was supposed to be Jim, but Jeanie started meddling as soon as Dr. Buss was gone. This is not to say that Jim was competent, of course. But now Jeanie is in charge of everything, which was certainly not what Dr. Buss had in mind.

I hope that she will learn on the job and start making better decisions. However, there is no reason to expect that she will be any more competent than her brother. This is a classic second generation cautionary tale.

Comparing the two is a false analogy. Jim is an incompetent PBO. Jeanie has nothing to do with basketball decisions. Her only job is to put people smarter than her in charge, while Jim was judged for his ability as a basketball decision maker. Sure it's not exactly what Dr. Buss wanted but she couldn't just let Jim continue ruining the team.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

LFAN4LIFE wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Bob Myers said he wants no part of the Lakers, along with Pat Riley. Too dysfunctional. Jeanie Might hire Rich Paul to take Magic's place ... Why not. She's already running the franchise into the ground.

Link?

Bob Myers doesnt seem interested based of off this interaction....

Quote:
Me: What are you doing here today?

Bob: What do you mean?

Me: Shouldn’t you be having lunch with (Lakers controlling owner) Jeanie Buss?

Bob: Oh, right. Almost forgot. (Looks at his watch) I’m supposed to meet her at 2.

Myers then laughed a laugh that suggests he’s not eager to go anywhere anytime soon, even if there are days and nights when he probably wouldn’t mind.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/bob-myers-laughs-idea-leaving-warriors-lakers-and-good-reason

Neither does Pat Riley...

Quote:
"I mean, I'm not going to comment on another team's misfortune while they're going through some adversity right now," Riley said of the Lakers' current situation on Saturday, via The Athletic. "There's no doubt that I have a history with that team. I was there for 20 years and I have a lot of friends still in the organization. I had a good conversation with Magic after he stepped down and I'm sure they'll work it out. I'm not going to be part of that. That's not what I want to do."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heats-pat-riley-warriors-bob-myers-have-no-interest-in-lakers-vacant-front-office-position/

Heres an interesting theory. What if jeanie called around and kind of gauge the interest of some of the top executives. And she didn't get much interest in return, which is why she is moving forward with Pelinka and not hiring anyone.

First, there's no basketball job Pat Riley would leave Miami for. He is Miami right now.

Second, that exchange didn't mean anything. It's the writer's interpretation. Personally, I'd think Myers is a moron if he doesn't at least hear the Lakers' offer. At worst, it's a bargaining chip to get more from GSW.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I still don't get the hate for Jeanie. You wrestled the team away from Jim, who really didn't know what he was doing and pulled in someone she trusted, Magic, to run the basketball side of things. This whole time she has not run the basketball side, which is common for MOST owners. Other than Mark Cuban and for the wrong reasons James Dolan, most owners stay out of the way. There have been reports Magic wanted to fire Luke and Jeannie blocked him, don't know if this is true, but not sure either was right there. I mean the ship was sinking fast at that point. Should we also blame the minority owners too?

Magic as PBO was always a wait and see. His grand plan was to bring in superstars, he got one, never got the second. His plan unfortunately had no backup plan. The league turned on him, so he walked away. As far as we know the backstabbers maybe the league itself.

And speaking of Jeannie, you could have James Dolan or Robert Sarver. Or let's not forget the Nets owner trying to make a big splash sent a decades worth of picks to the Celtics for magic beans. Or maybe you would prefer Donald Sterling? Jeanie as your owner isn't the issue, but I do believe they need to re-invent themselves. Now is the time.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I know people going to hate this but her brother gathered those rings with Mitch...sppppp....yeah..

Hpld yup let me help the counter reply: ...but...but...but...but but but but...Moz & Deng......but...but Moz&Deeeeeeenng!!!
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Regardless of what Jim Buss failed at, I do miss Mitch Kupchak because he WAS respected by NBA GMs and Agents. No one can dispute that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I’m not sure, probably because the board of governors deal mainly with financial matters and she was his choice to run the business side. What he didn’t do was give her authority for making basketball-related decisions.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I’m not sure, probably because the board of governors deal mainly with financial matters and she was his choice to run the business side. What he didn’t do was give her authority for making basketball-related decisions.

Actually, that's exactly what he did by naming her controlling owner and governor.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I had to unfollow him on Twitter. It's sad.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Let it out free bird;
Earvin Magic Johnson
@MagicJohnson
A big BIG congratulations to
@TigerWoods
for winning the Masters!! The roar of the Tiger is back!
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I can see Magic being the absentee exec. In fact, most us probably internally expected him to be as such. I can see a workaholic taking offense to that. Kobe would for sure. Maybe Rob has Kobe's work ethic and Magic just got under his skin. Who knows...
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Actually, that's exactly what he did by naming her controlling owner and governor.

Precisely. He could've made Jim the Team Governor and Chairman, while Jeanie was Exec VP of Business Affairs, Controller, COO or any number of titles. Dr. Buss had 50+ years of watching his kids to determine which one was the best one to leave in charge.

Maybe he made a bad choice, but let's be clear - Jeanie was Dr. Buss' choice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No, he gave b-ball-related responsibility to Jim.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Let it out free bird;
Earvin Magic Johnson
@MagicJohnson
A big BIG congratulations to
@TigerWoods
for winning the Masters!! The roar of the Tiger is back!

This is all he did when he was with us. That's his problem.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes, but as controlling owner, Jeanie was given the ultimate authority of deciding who gets to make those basketball-related decisions.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes, but as controlling owner, Jeanie was given the ultimate authority of deciding who gets to make those basketball-related decisions.

That wasn’t Doc’s plan. He made the decision who would run the basketball side of the Lakers, he didn’t count on his spoiled daughter to trample on his wishes before the body was cold.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Thank god he stepped aside. Its a shame he blocked the Logo from coming back home :/

Last edited by JeezyXVII on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Can we remove BREAKING NEWS from the thread tile? It’s been a week now
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That wasn’t Doc’s plan. He made the decision who would run the basketball side of the Lakers, he didn’t count on his spoiled daughter to trample on his wishes before the body was cold.

I would reckon that Dr. Buss had a better understanding of the strained relationship between Jim and Jeanie than any of us do.

So, it's safe to assume that he probably knew there was a chance Jim wouldn't be in charge of basketball operations in perpetuity. And, if that was something Dr. Buss truly craved, he would left control to Jim.

But, he didn't. He left Jeanie with the ultimate say so. Jim got to drive the car, but Jeanie was the only one with access to the emergency brake.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Thank god he stepped aside. Its a shame he blocked the Logo from coming back home :/

Amazing. Jerry West and his humility is a beautiful thing to watch. Please Logo come home. We never needed you more than we need you now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would reckon that Dr. Buss had a better understanding of the strained relationship between Jim and Jeanie than any of us do.

So, it's safe to assume that he probably knew there was a chance Jim wouldn't be in charge of basketball operations in perpetuity. And, if that was something Dr. Buss truly craved, he would left control to Jim.

But, he didn't. He left Jeanie with the ultimate say so. Jim got to drive the car, but Jeanie was the only one with access to the emergency brake.

You can assume that, but everything written at his death and since does not say that. Who would he have left in charge if he knew that Jeanie was going to preside over the worst period in franchise LA history? We can assume someone but from what we have seen of the Buss kids, none should run the Lakers.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You can assume that, but everything written at his death and since does not say that. Who would he have left in charge if he knew that Jeanie was going to preside over the worst period in franchise LA history? We can assume someone but from what we have seen of the Buss kids, none should run the Lakers.

Dude, he made Jeanie controlling owner. Controlling owner means she makes the final say. On everything. There's no question about this. No if, and, or but. I'm not sure what there is to debate about it. He left her with that power. It's an inarguable fact.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not really. Dr. Buss explicited stated that he wanted Jeanie to run the business side and Jim the basketball side. Dr. Buss probably never imagined a scenario where Jeanie would boot Jim out. Just goes to show you can't control people from the grave.

As far as why Jeanie is on the board of governors, that's typically filled by owners and controlling owners, so it make sense she would be on it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 114 of 126
Jump to: