News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I still don't get the hate for Jeanie. You wrestled the team away from Jim, who really didn't know what he was doing and pulled in someone she trusted, Magic, to run the basketball side of things. This whole time she has not run the basketball side, which is common for MOST owners. Other than Mark Cuban and for the wrong reasons James Dolan, most owners stay out of the way. There have been reports Magic wanted to fire Luke and Jeannie blocked him, don't know if this is true, but not sure either was right there. I mean the ship was sinking fast at that point. Should we also blame the minority owners too?

That's why people mainly dislike Jeanie: she hired people based on who she trusted rather than who was qualified for the job. The fact she selects people based on who's part of the laker umbrella can ruin the franchise for the next few years. Linda Rambis, for example, being part of her brain trust is frightening.

Then there's he own emotional issues like "fake news" and "ballz" which add to her dislike by others.

cthroatgtr wrote:

Magic as PBO was always a wait and see. His grand plan was to bring in superstars, he got one, never got the second. His plan unfortunately had no backup plan. The league turned on him, so he walked away. As far as we know the backstabbers maybe the league itself.

Magic didn't walk away, he shamelessly quitted in a huge display of unprofessionalism and immaturity. In the end, he didn't get the job done and bailed in the face of adversity. He will be remembered as one of the worst executives of all times, even worse than Jim Buss.

cthroatgtr wrote:

And speaking of Jeannie, you could have James Dolan or Robert Sarver. Or let's not forget the Nets owner trying to make a big splash sent a decades worth of picks to the Celtics for magic beans. Or maybe you would prefer Donald Sterling? Jeanie as your owner isn't the issue, but I do believe they need to re-invent themselves. Now is the time.

You do realize that Nets owner is the reason they're one great stories in the league right now? Unlike Jeanie, he realized he couldn't get it done after the trade. Eventually, he cleaned house while hiring people from the spur's tree and got out of the way. As a result, they've rebuilt faster than most predicted initially.

Meanwhile, we still have Rob Pelinka despite the departures of Magic and Luke . Jeanie being a bottom 3 owner isn't better than being a bottom 2. Heck, even Dolan looks less dysfunctional at this point.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Why would they knowing that Jeanie Buss would be their boss. I am sure she cares and means well, but she is far out of her element. Even her father saw that.

Why did Dr Buss make her the governor?

I’m not sure, probably because the board of governors deal mainly with financial matters and she was his choice to run the business side. What he didn’t do was give her authority for making basketball-related decisions.

Actually, that's exactly what he did by naming her controlling owner and governor.

Not really. Dr. Buss explicited stated that he wanted Jeanie to run the business side and Jim the basketball side. Dr. Buss probably never imagined a scenario where Jeanie would boot Jim out. Just goes to show you can't control people from the grave.

As far as why Jeanie is on the board of governors, that's typically filled by owners and controlling owners, so it make sense she would be on it.

Dr. Buss didn't leave Jeanie in charge of the "business side" - he left her in charge of the entire organization. He made Jeanie controlling owner (i.e., Dr. Buss' direct successor), he did so knowing that she would ultimately have the power to make whatever decisions she wanted in regard to the organization. Jim, as VP of basketball operations, answered directly to Jeanie. That was the structure Dr. Buss left in place.

By the way, the trust was signed by Jeanie, Jim and Johnny in 2006. So they knew for years before Dr. Buss died that Jeanie was ultimately going to be in control of the team. There's no mystery to this.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Why would they knowing that Jeanie Buss would be their boss. I am sure she cares and means well, but she is far out of her element. Even her father saw that.

I’m not sure, probably because the board of governors deal mainly with financial matters and she was his choice to run the business side. What he didn’t do was give her authority for making basketball-related decisions.

Actually, that's exactly what he did by naming her controlling owner and governor.

Not really. Dr. Buss explicited stated that he wanted Jeanie to run the business side and Jim the basketball side. Dr. Buss probably never imagined a scenario where Jeanie would boot Jim out. Just goes to show you can't control people from the grave.

As far as why Jeanie is on the board of governors, that's typically filled by owners and controlling owners, so it make sense she would be on it.

Dr. Buss didn't leave Jeanie in charge of the "business side" - he left her in charge of the entire organization. He made Jeanie controlling owner (i.e., Dr. Buss' direct successor), he did so knowing that she would ultimately have the power to make whatever decisions she wanted in regard to the organization. Jim, as VP of basketball operations, answered directly to Jeanie. That was the structure Dr. Buss left in place.

By the way, the trust was signed by Jeanie, Jim and Johnny in 2006. So they knew for years before Dr. Buss died that Jeanie was ultimately going to be in control of the team. There's no mystery to this.

Dr. Buss made it very clear how he envisioned things. And right after his death, there were all sorts of announcements from the Family Trust spokesperson and other Lakers officials that, pursuant to the good doctor's wishes, Jim would run the basketball side and Jeanie the business. And they often said that even though Jeanie was controlling owner neither was really above the other.

And for a while Jeanie went with the plan publically, often telling reporters she had nothing to do with the basketball side and didn't even know what was going on with that part of the organization.

But the best laid plans. Jeanie was able to take the power that comes with controlling owner (and just as important her alliances within her family) and boot Jim out.

But that's not how Dr. Buss planned it. He probably didn't quite understand what a nest of vipers his kids were.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Username wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dr. Buss made it very clear how he envisioned things. And right after his death, there were all sorts of announcements from the Family Trust spokesperson and other Lakers officials that, pursuant to the good doctor's wishes, Jim would run the basketball side and Jeanie the business. And they often said that even though Jeanie was controlling owner neither was really above the other.

And for a while Jeanie went with the plan publically, often telling reporters she had nothing to do with the basketball side and didn't even know what was going on with that part of the organization.

But the best laid plans. Jeanie was able to take the power that comes with controlling owner (and just as important her alliances within her family) and boot Jim out.

But that's not how Dr. Buss planned it. He probably didn't quite understand what a nest of vipers his kids were.

So... he gave her the power, but didn't expect her to ever actually use it?

Look, Dr. Buss had a soft spot for Jim. He overlooked a lot of shortcomings that others saw in Jim. He badly wanted him to succeed. But he didn't name Jim his successor, he named Jeanie his successor. And the power that comes with that means that she could ultimately pull the plug on Jim if she saw fit. Dr. Buss knew that. And if he didn't want that, he wouldn't have given Jeanie that responsibility.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
So... he gave her the power, but didn't expect her to ever actually using it?

Look, Dr. Buss had a soft spot for Jim. He overlooked a lot of shortcomings that others saw in Jim. He badly wanted him to succeed. But he didn't name Jim his successor, he named Jeanie his successor. And the power that comes with that means that she could ultimately pull the plug on Jim if she saw fit. Dr. Buss knew that. And if he didn't want that, he wouldn't have given Jeanie that responsibility.

Eh. He was an old man who wanted his kids to run the team. It's a classic second generation scenario. I'm not quite sure why some of you are determined to defend Jeanie, when pretty much everything she has done since Dr. Buss died has been detrimental to the franchise. I like to think that she'll learn from her mistakes, but she isn't showing encouraging signs.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

Eh. He was an old man who wanted his kids to run the team. It's a classic second generation scenario. I'm not quite sure why some of you are determined to defend Jeanie, when pretty much everything she has done since Dr. Buss died has been detrimental to the franchise. I like to think that she'll learn from her mistakes, but she isn't showing encouraging signs.

It’s not about defending her, but the reality of the situation is that she’s the owner and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, Jerry loved his kids. But he was also a smart, astute businessman who built the Lakers into the league’s premiere franchise. If he didn’t think Jeanie was capable of carrying that mantle, I don’t think he would have given her control of the franchise.

What she does with it remains to be seen, but to say that “everything she has done” has been detrimental is extremely unfair, and completely untrue. The biggest detriment to the organization was letting Jim play fake GM for as long as he did. We’re here arguing about whether or not she should have asserted her authority on Jim, but the fact is she should have done it much sooner.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
What she does with it remains to be seen, but to say that “everything she has done” has been detrimental is extremely unfair, and completely untrue. The biggest detriment to the organization was letting Jim play fake GM for as long as he did. We’re here arguing about whether or not she should have asserted her authority on Jim, but the fact is she should have done it much sooner.

That argument would have more force if she hadn’t meddled so much during the old regime. I am not inclined to defend the old regime, but she bears a share of the responsibility for what happened. And then she turned the basketball side over to Magic and Pelinka. Hooray for Jeanie. So yes, everything she has done has been detrimental.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

That argument would have more force if she hadn’t meddled so much during the old regime. I am not inclined to defend the old regime, but she bears a share of the responsibility for what happened. And then she turned the basketball side over to Magic and Pelinka. Hooray for Jeanie. So yes, everything she has done has been detrimental.

In what ways did she meddle?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I think the basketball side is always more difficult and important than the business side for a franchise like the Lakers with winning history and so many legendary players. Jim can’t have the full control of the franchise because he wouldn’t fire himself when things are not going in the right direction. This doesn’t indicate Dr.Buss felt Jeanie is more capable on making the right basketball decision. The dynamic of the Buss family has severely damaged our team. For example I would be more confident with Jim hiring the new president of the front office than Jeanie. I have much doubt about if Jeanie knows what quality the new president should possess. When she interviews people, would she know the importance of analytics? Does she know the modern style of basketball? Jim shouldn’t be the president again but Jeanie should ask for his opinion which is unlikely
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

To be fair the NBA was totally different back then with regards to cap space and acquiring players, and it was mostly her incompetent brother and ex general manager that made some of the biggest general managerial blunders in the history of basketball. If you think this is embarrassing look at what Jimbo and Mitch did with player trades and coaching hires. My two year old is better at putting geometrical shapes into their right position than those two past clowns.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject:

For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone rips Mitch & Jim so much.

Mitch oversaw 5 ring and 7 Finals appearances. He arranged the brilliant Pau Gasol trade. He set up what should've been the CP3 trade if Stern hadn't backstabbed the Lakers. Then the Nash & Howard trades which were good gambles. And the draft picks were pretty good - Marc Gasol, Bynum [who got leveraged for Howard], D'Angelo, Randle -- were terrific picks.

And I'm not sure when Jim came along, but he oversaw much of that because Dr. Buss was simply too sick to be an acting PBO.

They made 2 boneheaded FA acquisitions which are tough to defend in retrospect: Mosgov & Deng. But does this outweigh everything else they did well?

One thing I would say for Jim/Mitch - they did a (bleep) job of defending themselves with the media. When Jeanie/Magic and everyone else was ripping them over everything they did wrong, they'd hardly defend themselves publicly
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

Seriously? If you're that locked in, nothing I can say will make a difference.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

composite wrote:
One thing I would say for Jim/Mitch - they did a (bleep) job of defending themselves with the media. When Jeanie/Magic and everyone else was ripping them over everything they did wrong, they'd hardly defend themselves publicly

There is more than a little poetic justice in this. The mob turned on Magic and is quickly beginning to turn on Jeanie.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

We should at least be inquiring to speak with guys like Jon Horst (Milwaukee), Masai Ujiri (Toronto) and Dennis Lindsey (Utah) to show that at least some type of search is going on.

Sounds like Jeannie is good with Pelinka?
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

Seriously? If you're that locked in, nothing I can say will make a difference.

I’m not locked in on anything. I’m asking you a simple question. And if she did “so much meddling” as you claim, it should be easy to answer.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

Can a Mod please remove BREAKING NEWS from the thread title?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

It’s not about defending her, but the reality of the situation is that she’s the owner and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, Jerry loved his kids. But he was also a smart, astute businessman who built the Lakers into the league’s premiere franchise. If he didn’t think Jeanie was capable of carrying that mantle, I don’t think he would have given her control of the franchise.

She is one of 7 majority owners, the Lakers are not her team. If her siblings want to act, she would no longer be in charge. Luckily for her they seem to care more about that check than the organization. That is why money isn’t being spent on things like analytics, sports science and player development. That is money out of their pockets. I still believe that them paying luxury tax is a dream.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

composite wrote:

Mitch oversaw 5 ring and 7 Finals appearances. He arranged the brilliant Pau Gasol trade. He set up what should've been the CP3 trade if Stern hadn't backstabbed the Lakers. Then the Nash & Howard trades which were good gambles. And the draft picks were pretty good - Marc Gasol, Bynum [who got leveraged for Howard], D'Angelo, Randle -- were terrific picks.

And I'm not sure when Jim came along, but he oversaw much of that because Dr. Buss was simply too sick to be an acting PBO.

They made 2 boneheaded FA acquisitions which are tough to defend in retrospect: Mosgov & Deng. But does this outweigh everything else they did well?

Because fans in general have no idea what is going on. Luckily we have some posters here who have a good understanding but it is too much for some to suspend their emotions and seek those posters out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

Mitch was a very good GM. I'll be a Mitch-stan to the end.

Jim. Well, compared to what we got with Magic, let's say he doesn't look as bad as he did pre-Magic joining as POBO.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
We should at least be inquiring to speak with guys like Jon Horst (Milwaukee), Masai Ujiri (Toronto) and Dennis Lindsey (Utah) to show that at least some type of search is going on.

Sounds like Jeannie is good with Pelinka?

Sure seems that way. So discouraging that the whole Magic fiasco hasn’t woken her up from this inner circle/all in the family obsessional comfort zone.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

She is one of 7 majority owners, the Lakers are not her team. If her siblings want to act, she would no longer be in charge. Luckily for her they seem to care more about that check than the organization. That is why money isn’t being spent on things like analytics, sports science and player development. That is money out of their pockets. I still believe that them paying luxury tax is a dream.

Right, which is why I say it's a moot point. Four of the six children need to vote to sell and I don't see Jeanie, Janie, Jesse or Joey ever doing that. At least not for the foreseeable future.

As to your last point about spending - it makes for a good sound bite, but where are we are on spending in those areas compared to the rest of the league? I want to see actual hard data on that aside from just off-the-cuff comments by people on Twitter. And is the reason we haven't spent in those areas because ownership is cheap, or because the people in charge of basketball decisions haven't prioritized those areas?
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I blame Kobe for publicly vouching for Magic and Pelinka.....
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

What you're saying could be right. Just wondering though... if they cared more about a check, wouldn't it make more sense to sell the Lakers and get a huge lump sum to spend as they please rather than a $5-10m profit-sharing check every year? Forbes values the Lakers franchise at $4 Billion. The Buss family owns 66%. If they got a buyer at that price, 66% of 4,000,000,000 divided between the 6 siblings is $440 Million each.

I didn't realize the Lakers were worth so much as a franchise until I just looked it up. Where there is so much money at stake, there will always be vultures circling around.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:

And that's why Pelinka is the last man standing. Jeannie doesn't want to pay for 2 GMs. They are out of Magics and Luke's contracts. Look for Pelinka to be the defacto POBO. It wouldn't surprise me.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:

You answered your own question. We only remember the last few post-achilles years, I don't think if anyone were to sit down and evaluate Mitch's career, they would come to the conclusion he is a bad GM.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 115 of 126
Jump to: