OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1085, 1086, 1087 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

I was looking at NBA attendance numbers for this season (http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance) and some stuff got me thinking. Brooklyn is dead last in attendance, and the Clippers are in the bottom 10.

Lakers and Knicks, on the other hand, are in the Top 10.

I think media and twitter/message board fans overrate all this "solid FO, great core" narratives about these guys. They can't even draw crowds at their own cities. Star players don't see Nets/Clippers at the same level of Knicks/Lakers in terms of exposure and media, I'm 100% sure of that. At least not on the level most of the internet seems to put them.

That said, I still expect this to be a major factor in FA this year once again. It is, in the end, basically the reason we got LeBron and why he didn't go to Philly or the Clippers.

The only guy I could see not caring to this at all is Kawhi, but he's still got a lot of people around him pushing for the big lights. I don't think New Balance signed him to be the company star so he can stay in Canada or be a B-List star in L.A with the Clippers. They'll push hard for Lakers IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Rubin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We got 3 consecutive #2 picks.

IMO, LBJ was on autopilot to the Lakers.

Magic resigns, allowing us to bring a culture change from up top.

Luke is canned, allowing a new voice from the bench.

Why do I have a growing fear that Jeanie goes insular again despite it not working?

Because she’s demonstrated that she’s literally incapable of doing things any other way.

Let's not pretend that Luke Walton wasn't a coach in high demand after helping coach the 74-win Warriors for the majority of that season. It was a no-brainer hire considering that and his Lakers experience.

We'll see how he does in Sacramento, but I feel like they'll be competitive under him.

Yeah. I was for Luke so I have to agree with this assessment.

It's just that her job search for the POBO/GM/coach has extended to individuals who had Laker ties. That's the concerning part. I think the talent pool from that insular grouping has dried up considerably.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
I was looking at NBA attendance numbers for this season (http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance) and some stuff got me thinking. Brooklyn is dead last in attendance, and the Clippers are in the bottom 10.

I think media and twitter/message board fans overrate all this "solid FO, great core" narratives about these guys. They can't even draw crowds at their own cities. Star players don't see Nets/Clippers at the same level of Knicks/Lakers in terms of exposure and media, I'm 100% sure of that. At least not on the level most of the internet seems to put them.

That said, I still expect this to be a major factor in FA this year once again. It is, in the end, basically the reason we got LeBron and why he didn't go to Philly or the Clippers.

The only guy I could see not caring to this at all is Kawhi, but he's still got a lot of people around him pushing for the big lights. I don't think New Balance signed him to be the company star so he can stay in Canada or be a B-List star in L.A with the Clippers. They'll push hard for Lakers IMO.

I agree. The Clippers definitely over achieved this season, similar to the 08'-09' Rockets. But they are not an exciting destination for FA's and aren't 1 guy away from making a real impact. We are.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
Real question: if his current play & health hold up, when should the Lakers consider bringing D'Lo back?

Pelinka would have to make up with Mintz. Not happening.

We would have to throw him the max and hope that Brooklyn is too busy chasing KD and they miss their window. If they match the offer then we did right by DLO.

Do you think it would be worth it for the Lakers to attempt this? Our options are looking remarkably slimmer than what many on this forum think..

He's not worth max money.

Counterpount: he's 23 and could outplay a 25% max contract with continued improvement.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
These Twitter randos remind me of psychics that used to predict things like the Kennedy assassination or the Beatles reuniting.

They keep guessing the same sh*t year after year, so one year they are bound to be correct.

If they aren't they can just wait out the negative comments or delete and make a new account.

Miss Cleo says Jimmy Butler is going to be a Laker, dontcha kno?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
Real question: if his current play & health hold up, when should the Lakers consider bringing D'Lo back?

We would have to throw him the max and hope that Brooklyn is too busy chasing KD and they miss their window. If they match the offer then we did right by DLO.

Do you think it would be worth it for the Lakers to attempt this? Our options are looking remarkably slimmer than what many on this forum think..

Counterpount: he's 23 and could outplay a 25% max contract with continued improvement.

Right. People assume "max" money is the same thing.

There are several tiers, and he would be on the lowest tier and improving every year.

We are likely going to throw 32m/year to a 29 or 30 year old Kemba/Jimmy. Think about that for a minute.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

There are several tiers, and he would be on the lowest tier and improving every year.

We are likely going to throw 32m/year to a 29 or 30 year old Kemba/Jimmy. Think about that for a minute.

And I'm fine with the Lakers doing that since they only realistically have a 2-year window with Lebron, anyway.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

This is an impossible scenario. Bad blood aside, dude has been quoted saying going to Brooklyn saved his career and he wouldn't have made it in L.A. There's no way he's leaving the Nets this offseason.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

This is an impossible scenario. Bad blood aside, dude has been quoted saying going to Brooklyn saved his career and he wouldn't have made it in L.A. There's no way he's leaving the Nets this offseason.

Agreed. I think he might even give BKN a discount to stay there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

And I'm fine with the Lakers doing that since they only realistically have a 2-year window with Lebron, anyway.

Yeah. But unless we get KL/KD, we are really whittling it down from the grandeur to good. I wish both those guys were 27 to give a few more prime years, b/c the end result could be a spectacularly old and expensive top heavy team.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
YSong wrote:
Hopefully we can do some damage this summer and get a couple of stars and round out the roster with Danny Green, a Morris twin, Pat Beverly

I would add Looney or Noel to the list.

I don't know why people still insist on Noel. He has been in the league for 6 years and didn't get any better. He's just a defensive mind back-up C who can defend well the perimeter, but is bullied on the post. And absolutely no offensive game.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
YSong wrote:
Hopefully we can do some damage this summer and get a couple of stars and round out the roster with Danny Green, a Morris twin, Pat Beverly

I don't know why people still insist on Noel. He has been in the league for 6 years and didn't get any better. He's just a defensive mind back-up C who can defend well the perimeter, but is bullied on the post. And absolutely no offensive game.

The Lakers C rotation is:

Moe Wagner

That's it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Rubin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Why do I have a growing fear that Jeanie goes insular again despite it not working?

Because she’s demonstrated that she’s literally incapable of doing things any other way.

Let's not pretend that Luke Walton wasn't a coach in high demand after helping coach the 74-win Warriors for the majority of that season. It was a no-brainer hire considering that and his Lakers experience.

We'll see how he does in Sacramento, but I feel like they'll be competitive under him.

I agree....most saw Luke before this season as a flawed but good young coach....the kind of flaws that could be eliminated with experience. Luke will be coaching in the playoffs within the next 2 years.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

If it meant losing our cap space, then I'd rather punt to 2020 instead of giving our max amount to Russell. I view Russell like I view Kemba, he's fine, a good All-Star level talent, but not someone I'd want the Lakers to commit to for 4 years.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
YSong wrote:

because being a defensive minded Center that can defend on the perimeter is very valuable in the NBA....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

CBS Sports Top 20 Free Agents

1 Kevin Durant (30) F PO
2 Kawhi Leonard (27) F PO
3 Kyrie Irving (27)G PO
4 Kemba Walker (28)G UFA
5 Klay Thompson (29)G UFA
6 Kristaps Porzingis (23)F RFA
7 DeMarcus Cousins (28)C UFA
8 Jimmy Butler (29)G PO
9 Nikola Vucevic (28)C UFA
10 Tobias Harris (26)F UFA
11 Khris Middleton (27)F PO
12 D'Angelo Russell (23)G RFA
13 JJ Redick (34)G UFA
14 Malcolm Brogdon (26)G RFA
15 Al Horford (32)C PO
16 Marc Gasol (34)C PO
17 Julius Randle (24)F PO
18 Brook Lopez (31)C UFA

19 DeAndre Jordan (30)C UFA
20 Bojan Bogdanovic (29)F UFA

LINK

seems high for Kemba, and really high for Cousins

Last edited by adkindo on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

If it meant losing our cap space, then I'd rather punt to 2020 instead of giving our max amount to Russell. I view Russell like I view Kemba, he's fine, a good All-Star level talent, but not someone I'd want the Lakers to commit to for 4 years.

The difference is due to age, Kemba/Jimmy are depreciating assets while their salaries go from something like 32/34.5/37/40.

DLO is not even in his prime and would likely improve as an asset each year.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CBS Sports Top 20 Free Agents

1 Kevin Durant (30) F PO
3 Kyrie Irving (27)G PO
4 Kemba Walker (28)G UFA
5 Klay Thompson (29)G UFA
6 Kristaps Porzingis (23)F RFA
7 DeMarcus Cousins (28)C UFA
8 Jimmy Butler (29)G PO
9 Nikola Vucevic (28)C UFA
10 Tobias Harris (26)F UFA
11 Khris Middleton (27)F PO
12 D'Angelo Russell (23)G UFA
13 JJ Redick (34)G UFA
14 Malcolm Brogdon (26)G RFA
15 Al Horford (32)C PO
16 Marc Gasol (34)C PO
17 Julius Randle (24)F PO
18 Brook Lopez (31)C UFA
19 DeAndre Jordan (30)C UFA
20 Bojan Bogdanovic (29)F UFA

LINK

seems high for Kemba, and really high for Cousins

1 Kevin Durant (30) F PO
3 Klay Thompson (29)G UFA
4 Kyrie Irving (27)G PO
5 Nikola Vucevic (28)C UFA
6 Tobias Harris (26)F UFA
7 Jimmy Butler (29)G PO
8 Kemba Walker (28)G UFA
9 DeMarcus Cousins (28)C UFA
10 Khris Middleton (27)F PO
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Rubin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The only people she has hired are Magic and Pelinka, so it’s not that big of a sample size.

And Rambis. The pattern is there, only without exceptions.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:

Only attendance has nothing to do with exposure and media attention. The fact that two of the worst run teams in the league (Lakers and Knicks) have the higher attendance says a lot about their fans, not the organizations. They remain near the bottom in performance because the stars avoid them. Exposure and media attention only being available in the big cities is a 1980’s concept, so Jeanie most likely believes it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

I had the weirdest dream that the Lakers got Kyrie.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

Does Lonzo + Kuz + #11 get us Bradley Beal? Is that too much?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Does Lonzo + Kuz + #11 get us Bradley Beal? Is that too much?

I don't think that's enough for the Wiz to trade him.

Assuming Wall can even come back next year (doubtful), does that really get the Wiz anywhere?
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
Rubin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The only people she has hired are Magic and Pelinka, so it’s not that big of a sample size.

And Rambis. The pattern is there, only without exceptions.

It’s not just that. Linda Rambis is her closest confidant advising her on b-ball decisions. LINDA FREAKING RAMBIS, whose entire credentials are being married to Kurt Rambis, whose credentials include being nothing but a train wreck as a coach and front office person.

Jeanie has gone on record saying only four people can run the Lakers: Magic, Phil, Kobe and Jerry West. Ironically, she’s refused to bring in the one person out of those four that has the credentials to be successful reportedly because he publicly questioned her romantic relationship with Phil.

This tells you all you need to know about her obsessive insular worldview when it comes to running the franchise.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Leaving the Lakers was the best thing to happen to D'lo. He's grown into a good player, but he's never coming back here. That ship has sailed.

I'm hoping we can sign a top free agent and trade the lotto pick and one or two of our young guys for a third star. I'm pessimistic.

I also think the Pelicans will straight up refuse to trade Davis here no matter what we offer. They just don't want to do business with us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1085, 1086, 1087 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 1086 of 8560
Jump to: