Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

What's crazy to me is that the 76ers WHIFFED on a #3 pick (Oak) and a #1 pick (Fultz), and are still in a good position moving forward.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's still crazy that we got:

And BI has a blood clot issue and Lonzo has durability issues. So out of all that, man, it's a bit underwhelming.

if you consider 1 of them is already an All Star, and 2 of them averaged over 21 PPG this season, it is pretty impressive.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And BI has a blood clot issue and Lonzo has durability issues. So out of all that, man, it's a bit underwhelming.

These guys are still young so we’ll see what they become.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What's crazy to me is that the 76ers WHIFFED on a #3 pick (Oak) and a #1 pick (Fultz), and are still in a good position moving forward.

The Sixers got lucky with Embiid getting hurt and dropping.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

if you consider 1 of them is already an All Star, and 2 of them averaged over 21 PPG this season, it is pretty impressive.

but only 2 remain.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I have definitely become less excited about Philly. Simmons is showing how much of an issue he is in the playoffs again because he does not shoot....and I think the odds are low that Embiid will ever string several healthy years together. If they resign any 2 of Harris, Butler or Reddick, they are still capped out with almost no depth.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

but how good a position are they really in?
they kinda went all in with these Tobias and Butler trades and so far the results have disappointed. (I admit I was one of the ones who felt those moves made them the most dangerous team in the East).
And in the offseason if the ownership doesnt want to pay up and let atleast one of those 2 walk, they will be kinda stuck as a playoff team without a prayer of being a contender for the foreseeable future.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I have definitely become less excited about Philly. Simmons is showing how much of an issue he is in the playoffs again because he does not shoot....and I think the odds are low that Embiid will ever string several healthy years together. If they resign any 2 of Harris, Butler or Reddick, they are still capped out with almost no depth.

Would you rather have Lonzo/BI or Embiid/Simmons?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

they kinda went all in with these Tobias and Butler trades and so far the results have disappointed. (I admit I was one of the ones who felt those moves made them the most dangerous team in the East).
And in the offseason if the ownership doesnt want to pay up and let atleast one of those 2 walk, they will be kinda stuck as a playoff team without a prayer of being a contender for the foreseeable future.

so much is tied to Embiid. An Embiid that plays 70+ games a year is probably enough to keep them a very solid team that will allow them to play in the margins going forward....but dude has averaged less than 53 games per season so far in his career. Even when he plays, it seems like he has minor injuries....and honestly, dude moves around like he is always injured.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Would you rather have Lonzo/BI or Embiid/Simmons?

as of today, Embiid/Simmons are clearly more capable players.....but if Simmons never shoots the ball, and Embiid is never truly healthy with the recurring issues of the back and feet....give me Lonzo and BI.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Simmons has outright said that he doesn’t practice shooting and doesn’t need to.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Sixers got lucky with Embiid getting hurt and dropping.

Yep, otherwise they end up with Parker or Wiggins lol
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
It's like Groundhog Day all over again here

We need shooting and shot creation.

Unless Clarke is the next Ben Wallace, let's get someone who at least shoots free throws over 70%.

Did you watch the Clippers against GSW?

Steph and Klay hit a few threes and the game goes from competitive to blow out in two minutes.

We aren't one shooter behind catching GSW... we are about four.

We traded Svi and there's no guarantees we re-sign Bullock.

We could have had Shamet, instead we drafted an undersized bootleg version of Brook.

We need Coby or Bol... if we only tanked we would have had a shot at Hunter.

Doesn't matter how athletic and switchable we are if we can't put the freaking ball in the basket.

They drafted shooting for the most part in last year's draft and got zero meaningful impact.

Draft BPA, free agency for need.

Exactly. Basically, it's what happens when a team drafts away from where the talent/skill is in the draft.

If it's a PG draft, why would you draft a center? Because of a team need? Seems silly, when a potential PG could possible steal a starting position if that's where the talent lies.

I'm good drafting White... I just want someone who can shoot.

We all do.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Brandon Clarke or Cam Reddish at 11?

Clarke. (bleep) Reddish.

What if there was a contract stipulation to work with a specific shot doctor?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Brandon Clarke or Cam Reddish at 11?

Reddish

Reddish too. But I am slowly liking Louis King. 6'8, 205 w/ 7'1 wingspan who shot 45 percent on threes in the last 10 games. Can play 2 and the 3 position.

If he didn’t weigh 190 he would probably be around 20 on more boards, instead of early 2nd / late 1st
I have him 26

Incorrect as to 190 lbs. He weighed 205 lbs at the June 2017 USA U19 tryouts. I am guessing he weighs more now.

Even then, we're talking about a 7'2" guy. I'm already thinking about Porzingis' injury after he added weight.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
It's like Groundhog Day all over again here

We need shooting and shot creation.

Unless Clarke is the next Ben Wallace, let's get someone who at least shoots free throws over 70%.

Did you watch the Clippers against GSW?

Steph and Klay hit a few threes and the game goes from competitive to blow out in two minutes.

We aren't one shooter behind catching GSW... we are about four.

We traded Svi and there's no guarantees we re-sign Bullock.

We could have had Shamet, instead we drafted an undersized bootleg version of Brook.

We need Coby or Bol... if we only tanked we would have had a shot at Hunter.

Doesn't matter how athletic and switchable we are if we can't put the freaking ball in the basket.

They drafted shooting for the most part in last year's draft and got zero meaningful impact.

Draft BPA, free agency for need.

I'm extremely skeptical of that approach because

A. The league isn't generally inclined to deal with or help us almost to the point of collusion

B. Our staff hasn't shown the ability to cultivate and develop shooting

C. The tragic, chaotic state of our front office has made us a less desirable destination.

The BPA concept works in a normal situation where our GM isn't hated, people want to do deals, players want to come, our coaches can polish athletes who have potential.

In our situation, I'd just assume draft them directly.

At least until we get our sh*t in order.

Besides the Curry's and Klay's look at who are the good shooters in the league. Joe Harris, Ellington, Reddick, Bullock and many more of these type of players who are generally non all stars.

It also normally takes 2-4 years before they become regular rotation players (20+ minutes).

Lakers will not need the help of the league to sign these type of players. Also if you pay them and they see the opportunity for playing time they will come irregardless of the FO.

These are the type of players that should have been picked up this season. Cannot wait 2+ years for rookies to develop into rotation players like Svi.

Excellent points. Can't just draft shooters and expect immediate impact/translation. The dynamic players (multi skill guys) are more easily translatable.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Ty Jerome (Virginia) made it official he is declaring, and does not plan on returning to college.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Man I really hope the draft doesn’t play out like tankathon’s updated mock. LG would lose its collective mind.

not my choice, but I think Romeo has some upside...I could honestly live with the pick.

I think you clearly take Bol or Garland over him on that mock, but Langford has some potential if the Lakers actually commit to a shooting coach who knows what s/he's doing to work with Romeo.

Romeo can't shoot or attack off the dribble. He's like a PF in a SG body with passing skill.

If you think he'll never shoot, then he's useless.

Why not just pick Herro instead? At least the shooting is there already and Romeo does not add that much more as an athlete in comparison.

This is weird to say. I don't think the shooting is as there as it appears. Problem is if he doesn't shoot, there's nothing else he brings to the floor.

Romeo has mitts for hands and long fingers and isn't a palm shooter. It's like Rondo shooting.

Herro's shooting? That FT% is one of the most fascinating things in this draft.

Better pull up shooter than spot up guy. I think that's weird for someone not expected to be a shot creator next level.

But what if he is a shot creator at the next level?

Oh I've thought about this a lot. I think it takes A LOT for a guy to become a shot creator. Herro would need ball-handling expertise, plus passing ability be seen as a threat, and functional strength?

The last time I saw a role player successfully turn himself into a shot creator, it was John Salmons. Dude was a 6'6" PG, solid athlete, middling, but varied offensive skills.

Then as a shot creator... not exactly a high TS guy.

With all of those variables in mind, you're better off looking elsewhere for a potential shot creator.

Basically, I'd believe in KPJ being an efficient volume scorer moreso than Herro becoming a shot creator.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Again my thoughts are that if the draft gurus here don't even like players outside of Zion... why not make the upside pick?

Because the flaws are extreme and not easily fixable.

You can add strength, You can't change the length of a guys legs and torso to change center of gravity.

He's injury prone. We don't have a training staff.

He's a project. The offensive skills are alluring but I don't know how many times I've had to watch this guy succeed vs. zero contact and not succeed against contact.

It's a contact league. His game vs. Houston is what I think would resemble NBA defenses and I have never seen a guy with such limited touch time because of defensive pressure that badly.

That's why my upside pick is KPJ and not Bol. You don't have these injury concerns. Dude is 3 size with 2 skills.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

REally good. They're in the post season expected to at least make the 2nd round.

Ben Simmons' intangibles are coming out.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
That's why my upside pick is KPJ and not Bol. You don't have these injury concerns. Dude is 3 size with 2 skills.

This is a fair take. I get the Bol takes too, but I do agree that injury woes/strength/contact issues will likely plague him.

KPJ does seem like a moderate risk, high upside player.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wow. Good point adkindo.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I think our draft picks have pretty much knocked it out of the park. DLO is awesome and on track to be a multi-time all-star. Jules is a 20/10 guy. BI, clot aside, looked really, really impressive before he fell off. Good chance that his "worst case" - again, injuries aside - is an 18/5/3 guy that plays great defense. Zo has the most warts yet is an undeniably positive impact on the floor and I think is well-poised to make huge impact. This is all without mentioning the success of guys like Nance, Clarkson, Zu, Kuz, and potentially Hart/Svi.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I phrased it wrong. I think our draft selection was good, but obviously we let DLO/Jules go. What are the chances BI/Lonzo stay long term too?

It's pretty sad how carefree we were with the guys we drafted. I know we can't keep them all, but man...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I think our draft picks have pretty much knocked it out of the park. DLO is awesome and on track to be a multi-time all-star. Jules is a 20/10 guy. BI, clot aside, looked really, really impressive before he fell off. Good chance that his "worst case" - again, injuries aside - is an 18/5/3 guy that plays great defense. Zo has the most warts yet is an undeniably positive impact on the floor and I think is well-poised to make huge impact. This is all without mentioning the success of guys like Nance, Clarkson, Zu, Kuz, and potentially Hart/Svi.

Yep. Our scouts have done a great job.
I hope the rumors aren't true that Rob is silo'ing Jesse and Ryan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 121 of 441
Jump to: