OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Someone better be playing a prank on us.... or I will not watch another game until Jeanie is gone.

No prank IG....The FO now is Jeanie, Pelinka, and LeBron (Rich Paul). And they'll do everything possible to fulfill whatever LeBron wants. They invested $134 million into him. They have a 2 year window (option for 3rd) and they're all in in what he wants. Just look at the coaching search...Lue, Monty and Juwan...common theme? They're all connected to LeBron. IMO Jeanie trust Rob and his vision is LeBron's vision for the next 2 years. So what's the point to getting a President? Pelinka is reportedly a workaholic...My argument against him is that no GM and Executive will return his calls and he's not respected..at least that's whats being reported. Remember how one GM described Pelinka..."he was the Rich Paul to Kobe."

That is a load of bull. Kobe was the easiest client he probably ever had. He didn't take these 1-year deals that Lebron always took, he didn't hold franchises hostage, he didn't jump from team to team. These "anonymous sources" are hating because Rob was too good at his job and they can't get over it.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

Not much is known about Rob Pelinka.
He is known as as a smart agent.

Now is his time to make go good national reputation by running
the Lakers well.
This means picking the right people for the jobs. The most talented and
hardest workers.
And not letting Lebron completely run the show.

And the biggest key is not making a wrong stupid move. Like the
Mosgov/Deng like thing.

Just get a max free agent this summer even if overpay.
And don't break up the young core at the expense of getting AD.
Depth is needed to get to the playoffs and win.
Too many stars will ruin the pudding.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Until a official word comes out that Rob is our POB then I’m gonna still have that feeling that we are waiting to part ways with him... I don’t believe Jeanie will do something to upset the fans, she has always said that fans are Important to him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Until a official word comes out that Rob is our POB then I’m gonna still have that feeling that we are waiting to part ways with him... I don’t believe Jeanie will do something to upset the fans, she has always said that fans are Important to him.

Important to who?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Important to who?

Important to Jeanie
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Someone better be playing a prank on us.... or I will not watch another game until Jeanie is gone.

No prank IG....The FO now is Jeanie, Pelinka, and LeBron (Rich Paul). And they'll do everything possible to fulfill whatever LeBron wants. They invested $134 million into him. They have a 2 year window (option for 3rd) and they're all in in what he wants. Just look at the coaching search...Lue, Monty and Juwan...common theme? They're all connected to LeBron. IMO Jeanie trust Rob and his vision is LeBron's vision for the next 2 years. So what's the point to getting a President? Pelinka is reportedly a workaholic...My argument against him is that no GM and Executive will return his calls and he's not respected..at least that's whats being reported. Remember how one GM described Pelinka..."he was the Rich Paul to Kobe."

That is a load of bull. Kobe was the easiest client he probably ever had. He didn't take these 1-year deals that Lebron always took, he didn't hold franchises hostage, he didn't jump from team to team. These "anonymous sources" are hating because Rob was too good at his job and they can't get over it.

That's what was reported. The closest thing I can think of where Kobe and Pelinka lied or mislead was when he told the Clippers he was going to sign with them. Mike Dunleavy was interviewed by Jim Rome and Rome asked him how sure was he that Kobe was coming..Mike said, "Kobe came to the Clipper facilities and told me directly I'm coming." We all know what happened after that...Shaq trade. But you're right Zig...all other negotiations with Kobe were pretty smooth sailing. But one GM did say that...so who knows.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Important to who?

Important to Jeanie

Ah, sorry the pronoun threw me off.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
If Rob is difficult to deal with because he won't be taken advantage of, then I'm for that. If they dont like him as a person, I don't really care yet. If Rob makes moronic bball decisions, that's what I'm more worried about.

At the end of the day, this is all that matters. We have no clue what Rob as sole decision-maker will do.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I just can't trust Jeanie's acumen on front office staff. There's a real chance Rob has some mitigating factors that means he survives the Lakers Hunger Games. I was pointing out that he is owed a substantial amount of $, and I bet Jeanie feels bad about the fact he had to divest ownership of his agency.

Holding onto b/c these factors (if true) would be a disaster. His reputation is also not the best so even if you don't think it deserves credence, if other teams simply do not want to deal with him, that's a problem. He clearly did a number on some teams as an agent and has some amends to make.

The revelation was Magic saying Jeanie paired him with Rob. She did the same with Kurt in a 'special advisor' role. Essentially, she placed both in the organization for reasons that haven't changed.

Having dispatched her brother on the back of Magic's popularity, one wonders how much she wanted to continue paying him handsomely not to show up. Jeanie has shown an allergy to having people around that have political power. She hated Jim for it, wasn't willing to let West back in the building, seems to have dispatched Magic rather than let him really shape the basketball operations (regardless of whether that was actually a good idea), and reportedly bristled at the idea that James had power (this is a 'Buss-led' organization). The idea they are going to spend handsomely to get a top executive that could exercise any level of political control within the organization is completely out of character for her behavior.

We heard about the potential issues with Rob's relationships around the league when he was hired, saw it play out with Mintz, heard about it during the Davis discussions, and hear it roaring now. But none of that changes why Jeanie wants him in the organization.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
epak wrote:
If Rob is difficult to deal with because he won't be taken advantage of, then I'm for that. If they dont like him as a person, I don't really care yet. If Rob makes moronic bball decisions, that's what I'm more worried about.

At the end of the day, this is all that matters. We have no clue what Rob as sole decision-maker will do.

Yep.
I understand if people have issues with him not having experience in the FO. That's a valid point. But I wonder if the "people don't like him" perception is overblown. Not saying it's not true, just wondering if it matters so much that they do. It's so hard to measure/weigh. When I hear people still bring up the Carlos Boozer incident from 2004, I have to pause and think... someone's holding a grudge from 15 years ago?

I'm not saying I have full confidence in Rob. But I'm anxious to see what he does as the shot caller as you've mentioned.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When I hear people still bring up the Carlos Boozer incident from 2004, I have to pause and think... someone's holding a grudge from 15 years ago?

I know it's not 15 years ago, but Popovich is still livid about the Pau/Lakers trade.

So much so he apparently, without solicitation, talked to Dell Demps about not trading AD to the Lakers.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Username wrote:
epak wrote:

Yep.
I understand if people have issues with him not having experience in the FO. That's a valid point. But I wonder if the "people don't like him" perception is overblown. Not saying it's not true, just wondering if it matters so much that they do. It's so hard to measure/weigh. When I hear people still bring up the Carlos Boozer incident from 2004, I have to pause and think... someone's holding a grudge from 15 years ago?

I'm not saying I have full confidence in Rob. But I'm anxious to see what he does as the shot caller as you've mentioned.

Since the Boozer incident, Rob has picked up a bunch of clients including James Harden. If GMs are supposedly ignoring him as a representative of the Lakers, they would've have frozen him out as an agent a long time ago.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Good points.

Rob maybe a difficult guy to deal with because he's calling people at 4 am on his morning run. It could be a number of diff reasons.

I just don't like how the point is getting universally parroted in the media. If you are going to make the point via an anonymous source, then at least give a reason why it's true.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
When I hear people still bring up the Carlos Boozer incident from 2004, I have to pause and think... someone's holding a grudge from 15 years ago?

I know it's not 15 years ago, but Popovich is still livid about the Pau/Lakers trade.

So much so he apparently, without solicitation, talked to Dell Demps about not trading AD to the Lakers.

It doesn't matter who represents the Lakers. Our PBO or GM could be Jesus Christ himself. Pop would still be telling other teams not to make deals with us.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Christ, Pop, get over it already.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Christ, Pop, get over it already.

I'm expecting him to talk about that trade during his HOF acceptance speech.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Jack Haley still holding that grudge for false reporting the done deal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully in his death, Haley isn't holding that same grudge.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Could it be that Jeanie is Rob's aunt?

#GoT
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Could it be that Jeanie is Rob's aunt?

#GoT

We lost Rob at the red wedding.

#Spoiler #NotASpoilerIf8YearsHavePast
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Something is real fishy about the reports of Pelinka's lack of popularity.

Does anyone know the original sources to report this? Has Pincus or another trusted source talked to other GM's and this is what they've heard?

I'm starting to call BS on the whole rumor.

The Paul George saga. Not only did they refuse to trade George to us, they turned Pelinka in for tampering. NO wouldn’t speak with Pelinka as well.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kava wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully in his death, Haley isn't holding that same grudge.

Oh snaps ... didn't realized he passed. I withdraw the joke then...RIP Jack!
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kava wrote:
Something is real fishy about the reports of Pelinka's lack of popularity.

Does anyone know the original sources to report this? Has Pincus or another trusted source talked to other GM's and this is what they've heard?

I'm starting to call BS on the whole rumor.

The Paul George saga. Not only did they refuse to trade George to us, they turned Pelinka in for tampering. NO wouldn’t speak with Pelinka as well.

Thought the tampering charge was for Magic while he was on Kimmel.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

There likely won’t be an official word, Pelinka is already GM and Rambis is already hired. There is nothing to report.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

I wonder how difficult it was for the Clippers to deal with Rob when he offered Zubac for Mike Muscala
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 38 of 243
Jump to: