Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I think KPJ has a 20% chance to be a top 5 SG, while Bol has a 10% chance to be a starter

may I see the calculations behind those results?

I haven't quite done the same math formulas to land on %'s like KIROE, but I also much prefer KPJ over Bol.

He's my front runner right now for our pick.

Fight On!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's still crazy that we got:

And BI has a blood clot issue and Lonzo has durability issues. So out of all that, man, it's a bit underwhelming.

if you consider 1 of them is already an All Star, and 2 of them averaged over 21 PPG this season, it is pretty impressive.

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I phrased it wrong. I think our draft selection was good, but obviously we let DLO/Jules go. What are the chances BI/Lonzo stay long term too?

It's pretty sad how carefree we were with the guys we drafted. I know we can't keep them all, but man...

Yeah, this is a much more pressing concern to me. I have no doubt that we have a top-flight scouting/drafting department. Talent retention is far, far more concerning.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And BI has a blood clot issue and Lonzo has durability issues. So out of all that, man, it's a bit underwhelming.

if you consider 1 of them is already an All Star, and 2 of them averaged over 21 PPG this season, it is pretty impressive.

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I think our draft picks have pretty much knocked it out of the park. DLO is awesome and on track to be a multi-time all-star. Jules is a 20/10 guy. BI, clot aside, looked really, really impressive before he fell off. Good chance that his "worst case" - again, injuries aside - is an 18/5/3 guy that plays great defense. Zo has the most warts yet is an undeniably positive impact on the floor and I think is well-poised to make huge impact. This is all without mentioning the success of guys like Nance, Clarkson, Zu, Kuz, and potentially Hart/Svi.

Yep. Our scouts have done a great job.
I hope the rumors aren't true that Rob is silo'ing Jesse and Ryan.

That's really disappointing to hear. Mind if I press you for a source?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I phrased it wrong. I think our draft selection was good, but obviously we let DLO/Jules go. What are the chances BI/Lonzo stay long term too?

It's pretty sad how carefree we were with the guys we drafted. I know we can't keep them all, but man...

Yeah, this is a much more pressing concern to me. I have no doubt that we have a top-flight scouting/drafting department. Talent retention is far, far more concerning.

We're going to be seeing a LOT of "What can you get for Lonzo/BI" threads/discussions this summer.

It's a bit disheartening to me having survived the DLO wars to see more young guys who may be shipped out. We need to win now, I get it. But we need something for the future too. I can't do another rebuild like this.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
epak wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wow. Good point adkindo.

I think our draft picks have pretty much knocked it out of the park. DLO is awesome and on track to be a multi-time all-star. Jules is a 20/10 guy. BI, clot aside, looked really, really impressive before he fell off. Good chance that his "worst case" - again, injuries aside - is an 18/5/3 guy that plays great defense. Zo has the most warts yet is an undeniably positive impact on the floor and I think is well-poised to make huge impact. This is all without mentioning the success of guys like Nance, Clarkson, Zu, Kuz, and potentially Hart/Svi.

Yep. Our scouts have done a great job.
I hope the rumors aren't true that Rob is silo'ing Jesse and Ryan.

That's really disappointing to hear. Mind if I press you for a source?

I saw it on LG a couple of days ago...
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/bcie9i/mcmenamin_from_what_ive_heard_jesse_buss_and_joey/ I think it originated from here.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

I think guys who are good at basketball will actually show you that they're good at basketball. Revolutionary thinking on my part, I know.

KPJ was not good at basketball this past year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think guys who are good at basketball will actually show you that they're good at basketball. Revolutionary thinking on my part, I know.

Bol has way more feel to the game.

My problem is getting him on the court, and making him stay there.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I think both players represent risk/high ceiling prospects.

I do think KPJ, aside from talent, has the higher chance of being available to play for a longer time period.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I'm always weary of tall players.
I feel like they give you 80 games one year. Then 60 games the next.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Thankfully it's not a binary choice and the Lakers may have the option to pass on both for a better player than KPJ and a more durable one than Bol.

Trying to dig into THT and Goga games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Sit him rookie season and just work on his body?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I had mentioned in a previous post, I'm all for that. If you're going to take on a project, go the 76ers route and have the dude take a year off, make an NBA body and change his shot.

Unfortunately, we don't have a PBO, a player development coach that uses that kind of method, or a training staff.

For those things alone, it's not even a good career move for Bol Bol to go to the Lakers.

Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

What are the chances of possibly getting Rui Hachimura? Also what are the thoughts of him and his game? He seems very promising to me, and his physical measurements are very impressive as well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Will2Win wrote:
What are the chances of possibly getting Rui Hachimura? Also what are the thoughts of him and his game? He seems very promising to me, and his physical measurements are very impressive as well.

90% availability.

Personally, 10% interest.

Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Will2Win wrote:

90% availability.

What are the major concerns to his game, that you see?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Will2Win wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Will2Win wrote:

90% availability.

I tried to read takes from both sides. My concern is he's a late bloomer, but already has 4 years of NCAA experience. The biggest concerns are down to 3 things:

1. Can he defend his position?
2. Can he extend perimeter range?
3. Can he move the ball and not be a black hole on offense when he's in the high post?

Rui almost has center's feet for a projected PF, so he doesn't defend perimeter players well and has been getting away with wingspan and strength to shut down lanes. Once he's at the NBA level, that stuff is negated.

Perimeter range: He's perfectly happy at the 15' area. Elbow to elbow. His 3pt volume is so low, it's hard to make the percentages credible, but at least he's shown that the FT stroke is consistent.

Passing: He looks around for 1-2 seconds and then he only sees the rim. If he's at a usual attacking spot, he's going to shoot. Driving and dishing on the fly is a big ask. Making an advance pass in the halfcourt before committing to a move is a big ask.

Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Will2Win wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Will2Win wrote:

90% availability.

I tried to read takes from both sides. My concern is he's a late bloomer, but already has 4 years of NCAA experience. The biggest concerns are down to 3 things:

1. Can he defend his position?
2. Can he extend perimeter range?
3. Can he move the ball and not be a black hole on offense when he's in the high post?

Rui almost has center's feet for a projected PF, so he doesn't defend perimeter players well and has been getting away with wingspan and strength to shut down lanes. Once he's at the NBA level, that stuff is negated.

Perimeter range: He's perfectly happy at the 15' area. Elbow to elbow. His 3pt volume is so low, it's hard to make the percentages credible, but at least he's shown that the FT stroke is consistent.

Passing: He looks around for 1-2 seconds and then he only sees the rim. If he's at a usual attacking spot, he's going to shoot. Driving and dishing on the fly is a big ask. Making an advance pass in the halfcourt before committing to a move is a big ask.

Very interesting, thanks for that take
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

SportsCenter

@SportsCenter

Breaking: Zion Williamson has announced he will declare for the NBA Draft via his Instagram.

2:49 PM - 15 Apr 2019
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
SportsCenter

@SportsCenter

Breaking: Zion Williamson has announced he will declare for the NBA Draft via his Instagram.

Shocker!
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
SportsCenter

@SportsCenter

Shocker!

I want everyone to think he is declaring then he just turns around and says "Nah I'm staying I want that NCAA Title" lol
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

tbh i think the lakers have drafted really well the past 5 years. Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Dangelo Russell, Ivica Zubac, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart. Not sure about Mo Wagner yet but that one start he had he performed very well, we shall see. Im excited about the 10th pick, I think its time we find a foundation at our C position
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
tbh i think the lakers have drafted really well the past 5 years. Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Dangelo Russell, Ivica Zubac, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart. Not sure about Mo Wagner yet but that one start he had he performed very well, we shall see. Im excited about the 10th pick, I think its time we find a foundation at our C position

We had our foundation center and traded him for a bag of chips thanks to our so so knowledgeable front office. Now instead of drafting bpa at 11 we might try a long shot in Bol who looks like a player who wont see the court regularly and hates contact. This dumpster fire would spark even higher. Take a four year guy as the Lakers are obviously looking to win now just like they did with Kuz and Hart. If Clarke is there......they better grab him
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Looking at other front court options a little older and mutumbos nephew kelebenge (not sure of spelling) does seem to be a nice player improving late as a shot blocker/rebounder as well as a perimeter shooter. He looks nice
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

We had our foundation center and traded him for a bag of chips thanks to our so so knowledgeable front office. Now instead of drafting bpa at 11 we might try a long shot in Bol who looks like a player who wont see the court regularly and hates contact. This dumpster fire would spark even higher. Take a four year guy as the Lakers are obviously looking to win now just like they did with Kuz and Hart. If Clarke is there......they better grab him

Zubac isnt a foundation center just look at the clippers using Harrell. We had a chance at mitch robinson who woulda held the Center position for 10+ years and we blew it
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
2019 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I had mentioned in a previous post, I'm all for that. If you're going to take on a project, go the 76ers route and have the dude take a year off, make an NBA body and change his shot.

Unfortunately, we don't have a PBO, a player development coach that uses that kind of method, or a training staff.

For those things alone, it's not even a good career move for Bol Bol to go to the Lakers.

I wonder if he's got a history of foot problems or if it's just an anomalous stress fracture. Also, if the fracture was relatively minor and he was pulled merely to heal it before it broke. Is he a Trevor Ariza case or a Bill Walton case? And if we do draft him, is it a good idea for him to gain a bunch of mass? We've been there with Bynum and though he had knee problems, I don't think the bulk provided more benefit to him than risk.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 122 of 441
Jump to: