Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I love the series, but it has gotten a lot worse since they passed the books. As much as I enjoyed the fairly obvious homage to season one episode one, and the need to set all the story lines, it seems the dialogue is not nearly as good as it used to be.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I love the series, but it has gotten a lot worse since they passed the books. As much as I enjoyed the fairly obvious homage to season one episode one, and the need to set all the story lines, it seems the dialogue is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Kinda reminds me of pro wrestling. A ton of hype if you've followed the stories for years like I used to as a kid. But if you're being objective and comparing it to writing for something you're less invested in. You'd probably be alot more critical.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

No, but there have been some really good moments.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Kinda reminds me of pro wrestling. A ton of hype if you've followed the stories for years like I used to as a kid. But if you're being objective and comparing it to writing for something you're less invested in. You'd probably be alot more critical.

I rewatched season 1 again over the last couple of weeks. The contrast between how things transpired and the intricacy of the various storylines and conversation back then versus recent season is stark (no pun intended).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
Well, I guess a set-up episode after a long break couldn't have gone much different. Was still left craving for more, since it's been almost 2 years.

Yup. So many reunions had to happen and they got most of them out of the way in one episode. I'm glad so little time was spent in King's Landing. Cersei got her mercenary army and wants Tyrion and Jaime killed. Not much else happening until the Northerners finish with the Night King. It looks like they're going right into that next week. No more waiting until the second to the last episode for an epic battle.

Anyone have an idea what kind of weapon Arya asked Gendry to make? Between this new dragon glass weapon and her Valerian steel dagger she's going to be wrecking some wights.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

It's the opposite for me, I'm more critical of it since I am/was such a big fan and invested.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yep and if you go back dozens of pages, I was already whining about the dialogue 3 seasons ago. Felt like I was on an island. No source material + studio writers = a massive drop off in dialogue.

Still entertaining AF though...
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Well, I guess a set-up episode after a long break couldn't have gone much different. Was still left craving for more, since it's been almost 2 years.

Yup. So many reunions had to happen and they got most of them out of the way in one episode. I'm glad so little time was spent in King's Landing. Cersei got her mercenary army and wants Tyrion and Jaime killed. Not much else happening until the Northerners finish with the Night King. It looks like they're going right into that next week. No more waiting until the second to the last episode for an epic battle.

Anyone have an idea what kind of weapon Arya asked Gendry to make? Between this new dragon glass weapon and her Valerian steel dagger she's going to be wrecking some wights.

It looked like a spear with a detachable end. Not sure if it's supposed to be a projectile like some are predicting.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

It looked like a spear with a detachable end. Not sure if it's supposed to be a projectile like some are predicting.

Cersei or the Night King? If Gendry puts dragon stone at the tip u know what’s up!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

I have it on very good authority that the epic battle takes place in Episode 3, the one that it is 80 some odd minutes . . . going to a cast/crew screening of it the night it airs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

I have it on very good authority that the epic battle takes place in Episode 3, the one that it is 80 some odd minutes . . . going to a cast/crew screening of it the night it airs.

So envious. That makes sense they save the epic battle for the extended episodes. The promos showed other stuff happening in episode two but I also saw what looked like battle scenes.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Yeah, Episode 3 is confirmed to be the Battle of Winterfell - the battle that took like 60 days to film. Should be epic. I'm thinking Battle of the Bastards + Hardhome + Blackwater all rolled into one.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I’m reading some frustration regarding the plot development and dialogue drop off after the show passed the books. I’m wondering if those people read the books? While I don’t necessarily disagree, I just don’t think it’s possible to replicate. Maybe the dialogue could be better but the scope of the book storyline is simply too big to put in tv form. It would be a slow moving show that lasts at least 10 probably 12-15 seasons if followed as closely as season 1 follows book 1. I and many others would probably enjoy that but it would not be as widely popular as it is now. They excluded a bunch of characters and storylines already in the books to create a more reasonable scope for the show and that’s not including how much grander of a scale the last two books will likely be. I think they’ve done as good a job as possible replicating the books while making the show the phenomenon it is even amongst more casual fans.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Cersei or the Night King? If Gendry puts dragon stone at the tip u know what’s up!

I saw the freeze frame of the weapon. It says DRAGONGLASS!!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Dude bring back plenty of pictures!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Dude bring back plenty of pictures!

I don't think it will be glamorous enough for that.

My guess is it will be more guests and media than cast. But it will be cool to see on the big screen in a theater though.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, Episode 3 is confirmed to be the Battle of Winterfell - the battle that took like 60 days to film. Should be epic. I'm thinking Battle of the Bastards + Hardhome + Blackwater all rolled into one.

Who do you think dies?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Who do you think dies?

I have no theories, but I know this . . . about 250,000 reddit theories will.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Dragons out here watching their momma (bleep) her nephew in the snow.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Dragons out here watching their momma (bleep) their cousin in the snow.

FIFY
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tox wrote:
I don't think it's likely but this entire episode was setting up a Jon-Dany conflict, certainly Dany killing Jon for one reason or another is a reasonable outcome.

There's no doubt that there is conflict coming between Dany and Jon. How can there not be given what is now known among key players and new Jon himself. But it would be terrible storytelling for Dan to kill Jon.

You have this epic tale of a bastard kid who thinks that, other than some blood lineage to a king murdered, he is essentially an after thought and relegated to a life on The Watch. Despite that lack of true nobility, he rises up through his bravery, cunning and some good fortune to become a widely respected man and warrior and eventually is declared The King of the North by the other monarchs and leaders. He gives that up to serve a woman he believes is actually the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and then finds out that he is actually the rightful heir the Iron Throne. The whole story line is about the event surrounding his rise as the rightful holder of the empire. For him to be murdered by the Queen who would lose her crown as result of his status sounds sexy and all, but really doesn't make sense as an epic tale. Not to mention that Dany murdering the rightful heir would make her a king slayer and a despised ruler.

I'm not saying that Jon necessarily survives in the end. But being murdered by Dany? I just don't see it. And if that is what happens, the entire series would be ruined for me.

I agree, I don't think it's likely. I think my reasoning is more a lack of faith in the writers to give us an even story.

But here's a scenario where I can imagine Dany killing Jon: swap the genders and make Dany Azor Ahai who needs to put the blade through Jon Snow to bring out Lightbringer. If the entire show has been building towards Dany learning to be a queen who puts her people's interest above her own, then there's no grander gesture than killing the one she loves for the sake of humanity.

That said, the story ending with Dany as a despised ruler also strikes me as plausible. The story has become entirely conventional now, but it gained notoriety for its early nihilism, especially w/r/t Ned's death which was the result of Joffrey's capriciousness and nothing more. Could GRRM choose to end the story rid of the ultimate evil (WW) but have the bittersweet ending with Dany's complete corruption into a cruel ruler? It strikes me as plausible if unlikely.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Who do you think dies?

wanna break everybody's heart... Tyrion
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Who do you think dies?

Greyworm, Tormund. I think both Lannisters have to stick around for the Cersei plot but I wouldn't be upset with Tyrion dying. Also maybe Varys finally dies..?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
I’m reading some frustration regarding the plot development and dialogue drop off after the show passed the books. I’m wondering if those people read the books? While I don’t necessarily disagree, I just don’t think it’s possible to replicate. Maybe the dialogue could be better but the scope of the book storyline is simply too big to put in tv form. It would be a slow moving show that lasts at least 10 probably 12-15 seasons if followed as closely as season 1 follows book 1. I and many others would probably enjoy that but it would not be as widely popular as it is now. They excluded a bunch of characters and storylines already in the books to create a more reasonable scope for the show and that’s not including how much grander of a scale the last two books will likely be. I think they’ve done as good a job as possible replicating the books while making the show the phenomenon it is even amongst more casual fans.

I've seen the show and read the books and there is a huge difference after season 4. I understand they had to cut plot lines and characters because the books expanded so much in the last 2 but the quality of writing done by the show when they deviated from the books is a noticeable drop. Everything is moment driven; they have certain things they want to happen so they figure out how they get there (eg: we need a dragon north of the wall). In the books things make more sense because they happen organically. And the dialogue isn't constant one-liners and dick jokes to get fan reactions.

I think the issue is once they figure out a plot they don't look at it and think "okay now does this make sense within the story and universe? Is there anything that doesn't fit? Is this logical based on what we know of the characters? If not, how can we improve?" It seems like they get an idea for a cool set piece and are like "cool! let's go with that."

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the show and there are plenty of good things about it. But the story held up better when they had source material to base it off of.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Who do you think dies?

wanna break everybody's heart... Tyrion

I'd put that one at even money.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 205 of 247
Jump to: