Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
SportsCenter

@SportsCenter

Breaking: Zion Williamson has announced he will declare for the NBA Draft via his Instagram.

2:49 PM - 15 Apr 2019

Shocker!

It's a good thing we won those meaningless games in the last week again, for the 3rd season in a row. Otherwise we might've had more than a 2% chance of getting him. (Something I'd say in Bizarro World)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:
tbh i think the lakers have drafted really well the past 5 years. Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Dangelo Russell, Ivica Zubac, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart. Not sure about Mo Wagner yet but that one start he had he performed very well, we shall see. Im excited about the 10th pick, I think its time we find a foundation at our C position

We had our foundation center and traded him for a bag of chips thanks to our so so knowledgeable front office. Now instead of drafting bpa at 11 we might try a long shot in Bol who looks like a player who wont see the court regularly and hates contact. This dumpster fire would spark even higher. Take a four year guy as the Lakers are obviously looking to win now just like they did with Kuz and Hart. If Clarke is there......they better grab him

Zubac isnt a foundation center just look at the clippers using Harrell. We had a chance at mitch robinson who woulda held the Center position for 10+ years and we blew it

Maybe the FO shouldn't listen to guys like Lonzo and Kuzma about what draftee they'd like as their teammate. Write that one down, Pelly. They're not the sharpest knives.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

They are not even the sharpest spoons.....idiots. Im not angry, can you tell, running this franchise with every Lebron whim no doubt
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:
tbh i think the lakers have drafted really well the past 5 years. Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Dangelo Russell, Ivica Zubac, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart. Not sure about Mo Wagner yet but that one start he had he performed very well, we shall see. Im excited about the 10th pick, I think its time we find a foundation at our C position

We had our foundation center and traded him for a bag of chips thanks to our so so knowledgeable front office. Now instead of drafting bpa at 11 we might try a long shot in Bol who looks like a player who wont see the court regularly and hates contact. This dumpster fire would spark even higher. Take a four year guy as the Lakers are obviously looking to win now just like they did with Kuz and Hart. If Clarke is there......they better grab him

Zubac isnt a foundation center just look at the clippers using Harrell. We had a chance at mitch robinson who woulda held the Center position for 10+ years and we blew it

Maybe the FO shouldn't listen to guys like Lonzo and Kuzma about what draftee they'd like as their teammate. Write that one down, Pelly. They're not the sharpest knives.

That was just a cheesy anecdote. If it was more than that, then Pelinka needs to be out the door with Magic.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

I'm starting to regret how we missed out on Robinson.

I hope Mo becomes Dirk lite.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

For all those who want to draft shooters, regardless of BPA, that's a fine example.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject:

It's unreal to expect we'll always the draft player available, in hindsight. I hope Moe becomes a decent rotation player, which is expected of a late 1st rounder, but I'm not optimistic.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
It's unreal to expect we'll always the draft player available, in hindsight. I hope Moe becomes a decent rotation player, which is expected of a late 1st rounder, but I'm not optimistic.

I'm some schlub on the internet who fills the void with overanalyzing young basketball players, but even I could see the value at #25 in the 2018 draft wasn't face-up bigs and that Wagner/Spellman would be reaches in the late-1st. Given how the actual draft went, I would've selected one of Melton (bad on offense in limited minutes, but better overall and younger than Moe), Robert Williams (impactful in limited minutes), or Mitchell Robinson at #25 and I would've had a 3-for-3 chance of getting the Lakers a better, younger player.

It was a good draft projection year for me - I would've taken Jonah Bolden over Kuz in 2017 as a glaring sign of my prognosticative fallibility overall - but I just don't see how the Lakers saw the shotblocking big talent at #5, compared it to the available floor-spacing big talent, and didn't just close their eyes and stubbornly draft for need.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

For all those who want to draft shooters, regardless of BPA, that's a fine example.

I wanted either a rim protector or shooter. On draft day I was openly advocating for Shamet or Robinson... I wanted Konate before he didn't declare because he combined a prolific block rate with plus 80% FT shooting. I wanted us to tank to Hunter because he was a strong two way player who shot close to 80% as well. Maybe Clarke becomes an 80% FT shooter... maybe he develops a three... I can see he's a good pick at 11.

I'm just sick and tired of signing or drafting players who may or may not be able to shoot.

From a pure mathematical and analytics perspective, I don't get how you can ever beat a GSW when we continue to sign players incapable or unlikely to develop hitting threes or free throws.

I can even see us playing them close in a series at full health, but I see the law of averages ultimately wearing us down as more threes will eventually fall for them.

As has been said, no one will likely ever come close to their historic efficiency and TS%... but for God's sake we were at the bottom again.

How does Clarke help us close the gap at FTs and threes?

We do need a rim protector... so I'm trying to stay positive about acquiring yet another undersized big who is a prodigious shot blocker for his size.

But I want us to start acquiring people who can shoot.

BPA won't fix our 29th ranking in both FT and threes.

We lost Svi... may likely lose Reggie... as it stands Alex Caruso is currently our best hope at narrowing that gap.

We aren't one shooter away... we are four or five... so yay... BPA.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

I wanted either a rim protector or shooter. On draft day I was openly advocating for Shamet or Robinson... I wanted Konate before he didn't declare because he combined a prolific block rate with plus 80% FT shooting. I wanted us to tank to Hunter because he was a strong two way player who shot close to 80% as well. Maybe Clarke becomes an 80% FT shooter... maybe he develops a three... I can see he's a good pick at 11.

I'm just sick and tired of signing or drafting players who may or may not be able to shoot.

From a pure mathematical and analytics perspective, I don't get how you can ever beat a GSW when we continue to sign players incapable or unlikely to develop hitting threes or free throws.

I can even see us playing them close in a series at full health, but I see the law of averages ultimately wearing us down as more threes will eventually fall for them.

As has been said, no one will likely ever come close to their historic efficiency and TS%... but for God's sake we were at the bottom again.

We do need a rim protector... so I'm trying to stay positive about acquiring yet another undersized big who is a prodigious shot blocker for his size.

We lost Svi... may likely lose Reggie... as it stands Alex Caruso is currently our best hope at narrowing that gap.

Yet you advocated incessantly for the Lakers to sign Rondo and a broken down Dwight Howard last summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

Yet you advocated incessantly for the Lakers to sign Rondo and a broken down Dwight Howard last summer.

IT/Boogs...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

^ I want some consistency. LG.com is in universal agreement that the Lakers need more shooting, but Sentient is acting like he's Dr. Thomas Stockmann over here.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

I'm some schlub on the internet who fills the void with overanalyzing young basketball players, but even I could see the value at #25 in the 2018 draft wasn't face-up bigs and that Wagner/Spellman would be reaches in the late-1st. Given how the actual draft went, I would've selected one of Melton (bad on offense in limited minutes, but better overall and younger than Moe), Robert Williams (impactful in limited minutes), or Mitchell Robinson at #25 and I would've had a 3-for-3 chance of getting the Lakers a better, younger player.

It was a good draft projection year for me - I would've taken Jonah Bolden over Kuz in 2017 as a glaring sign of my prognosticative fallibility overall - but I just don't see how the Lakers saw the shotblocking big talent at #5, compared it to the available floor-spacing big talent, and didn't just close their eyes and stubbornly draft for need.

I get it. What I mean is that Moe doesn't seem to be a good pick regardless the competition. I know every draft is different, but I have some expectations depending on where you pick:
#1-5: potential star
#6-15: potential starter
#16-30: potential rotation player
2nd round: roster filler

Considering Moe was already a Junior, his upside is not great and I don't see an NBA player there. FWIW, even Svi was a better pick.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

IT/Boogs...

Rondo was fine as the backup.

Dwight would have been useful if not for his sex scandal.

IT was fine in principle because of the cheap price. I admit I didn't see his stupidity and arrogance coming in disrupting a playoff team for his own personal agenda.

Boogie is also fine for that price... and might be a value pick up now that he tore his quad.

I'm not afraid to take a stand on a position... it's easy to hedge like most and never commit to a player... just sit on the sidelines and laugh when something goes wrong.

Have I made bad calls? Definitely.

Have I made good calls? Also true.

Still doesn't take away from the reality that we were 29th in three point shooting and 29th in free throws and Clarke doesn't help rectify that unless he continues to improve his shooting.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

^ The point is that you advocated for non-shooters like Howard and Rondo (who was not "fine" at all) in free agency while freaking out about immediate shooting contributions from rookies in order to compete with the Warriors. That's totally ass backwards.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

I don't expect any rookie to fix that, specially a #11 who's not likely to hit the floor running; it might happen (D.Mitchell, Booker,...) but we shouldn't count on this. That's why we have free agency and trades, to address the roster needs.

A rookie is expected to take a couple of years to contribute and meanwhile, our needs change.

Moe was drafted because they wanted a big who can shoot, but no one had him as the BPA at #25. That's the result.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

I get it. What I mean is that Moe doesn't seem to be a good pick regardless the competition. I know every draft is different, but I have some expectations depending on where you pick:

Considering Moe was already a Junior, his upside is not great and I don't see an NBA player there. FWIW, even Svi was a better pick.

It was especially glaring in last year's draft. I think you can probably get a Jon Leuer type specialist 4th big out of Moe eventually, but you may be right that he's just not an NBA guy at all.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

Are we pretending that free agency isn’t a thing?

Also, Bullock said he would like to come back.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

We knew from the beginning that Wagner needed to get stronger and we’ll see what improvements he makes to his shot this offseason.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

^ I want some consistency. LG.com is in universal agreement that the Lakers need more shooting, but Sentient is acting like he's Dr. Thomas Stockmann over here.

Thank you Dennis Miller, but you might want to update your references and use something like Martin Brody which at least has a slight hope of being caught by a 21st century poster.

Dwight fulfilled the need of providing some interior defense and rebounding.

Rondo had a winning record as the backup point guard

Would still recommend them for those respective roles.

Were they shooters, of course not... but Rondo shot at an improved level and replaced a skillset that was essential. Same would apply to Dwight had we signed him.

There were still four to five other positions that could have been filled with shooters.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

At what price do you anticipate we will sign him?
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Thank you Dennis Miller, but you might want to update your references and use something like Martin Brody which at least has a slight hope of being caught by a 21st century poster.

Were they shooters, of course not... but Rondo shot at an improved level and replaced a skillset that was essential. Same would apply to Dwight had we signed him.

There were still four to five other positions that could have been filled with shooters.

Rondo has been bad since he got hurt in Boston and has been getting by on reputation for years.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

For every poster on LG.com who hasn't read any Ibsen: you should go read Ibsen or preferably see one of his plays performed in whatever format is most convenient.

For every poster on LG.com who doesn't get Sentient's Dennis Miller reference: good, that guy sucks.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Practice wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

At what price do you anticipate we will sign him?

He didn’t have a strong end to the season and is coming off a 2 year 5 million contract, so he shouldn’t be expensive.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Clarke helps other areas, i.e. the stupidity of the Lakers trading Nance because they had Randle and then letting Randle walk for zip. Ugh. Clarke replaces that and we need that. Clarke had the 2nd highest PER in college this year and would be awesome at 11. Free agency for a shooter or a second round pick to pick up a shooter ala Svi.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 123 of 441
Jump to: