Just curious, could Sacramento be accused of tampering over Walton??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Just curious, could Sacramento be accused of tampering over Walton??

Walton was under contract to us, They put it out there, that they were interested in hiring Luke. Knowing that could have convinced him to ask to be released, heck it could have even made Jeannie feel that it was not as bad to let him go, knowing he had a place to go to.

If the Lakers did the same thing, I bet they would have been accused of tampering.

Or is there some rule that allows it with coaches??

Just wondering and had not seen anyone talk about it.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject:

They probably contacted Luke, but nothing was made public, only notes in the press that probably can't be traced back to Sacramento.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject:

Why would the Lakers press charges on the Kings since the Lakers wanted to fire Luke anyway
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject:

Is Luke double dipping then? And would Lue be if he was our coach?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject:

only Lakers get penalized.

Celtics tweeted an Anthony Davis Celtics Jersey

nothing came out of that tampering.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just curious, could Sacramento be accused of tampering over Walton??

Wino wrote:
Walton was under contract to us, They put it out there, that they were interested in hiring Luke. Knowing that could have convinced him to ask to be released, heck it could have even made Jeannie feel that it was not as bad to let him go, knowing he had a place to go to.

If the Lakers did the same thing, I bet they would have been accused of tampering.

Or is there some rule that allows it with coaches??

Just wondering and had not seen anyone talk about it.

The Kings probably did tamper (ie, were talking to Luke before he and the Lakers parted). However, they never said anything publically, so there is no public comments to publish.

The NBA would only look into tampering about private discussions if the Lakers protested, and since the Lakers and Luke parted, there is no reason for the Lakers to do that.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

Of course, Vlade even started tampering with Luke from 2016.

Tampering only escalates when someone complains and all the complaints usually come on the Lakers.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Tampering only escalates when someone complains and all the complaints usually come on the Lakers.

If the situation had been reversed and the Lakers had expressed interest in Joerger while he was still the Kings Coach?

I don't think it is a reach at all to say that would have been a problem for the league.

It is a ridiculous double standard and needs to change, again strong ownership would be helpful here.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

If the situation had been reversed and the Lakers had expressed interest in Joerger while he was still the Kings Coach?

I don't think it is a reach at all to say that would have been a problem for the league.

It is a ridiculous double standard and needs to change, again strong ownership would be helpful here.

You can bet if the situation was reversed, someone would speak up on Joerger signing with the Lakers so quickly...
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

We have way more self inflicted wounds than any that which would be caused by any tampering allegations

We need to stop trying to scapegoat blame on trivialities and change the culture of the team.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

It does suck that there is a double standard between the Lakers and everyone else. It sucks that the FO and ownership hasn't run in front of this at some point and changed that narrative.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

The whole league tampers behind the scenes..there's probably no way to stop it especially when it's done on the down low.

The Lakers meanwhile are doing it publicly on Kimmel and with strong arm Klutch tactics which is the big problem here tbh.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

They probably did, but it's one of those things that unless anybody really cares about and makes a fuss over (looking at you, Pritchard, Pop) nothing really comes of it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

Probably, but who cares? Luke is a bad coach. They did us a favor by helping to speed up his deprture.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
The whole league tampers behind the scenes..there's probably no way to stop it especially when it's done on the down low.

The Lakers meanwhile are doing it publicly on Kimmel and with strong arm Klutch tactics which is the big problem here tbh.

Yeah and the Lakers don't even need to do it. You can turn on ESPN right now and they're probably talking about players under contract with other teams who are going to come to the Lakers. It's just understood that the Lakers are the biggest market and everyone would be better off here. Most teams couldn't even tamper if they wanted to. They have nothing to offer unless they do illegal under the table stuff. The Lakers getting a slap on the wrist every once in a while doesn't matter. It doesn't stop them from signing anyone and they still have more power than anyone else.

Based on the timing of how it all went down, I think the Lakers tried to give Luke an amicable exit. They've been floating his name out there and since a landing spot materialized, they could let him go without firing him and I imagine they don't have to pay him either.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Probably, but who cares? Luke is a bad coach. They did us a favor by helping to speed up his deprture.

Yeah, this is a good point.

Knowing Luke had a job, might have made it easier for Jeanie to let him go.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

But the owner is friends with everyone and she's probably happy that Luke got a new job so quickly and so it probably hasn't even crossed her mind that there is any tampering or that there exists a double standard. And since Pelinka wanted Luke gone, he doesn't care.

If we had professional management and strong ownership, they would have handled the entire situation differently and other teams wouldn't even try this sort of thing to begin with. Until then, they're going to be subjected to the double standard and continue to see other team's take advantage of it.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
We have way more self inflicted wounds than any that which would be caused by any tampering allegations

We need to stop trying to scapegoat blame on trivialities and change the culture of the team.

I'm not trying to scapegoat anything, don't lay your personal sh*t on me. I accept the problems going on here.

I was simply thinking about this and it made me wonder about it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I'm not trying to scapegoat anything, don't lay your personal sh*t on me. I accept the problems going on here.

I was simply thinking about this and it made me wonder about it.

Wasn't addressing you directly... was saying to the community in general that although there may be some double standard... it's not a primary factor in our current issues imo.

The Chris Paul issue... sure, that's worth moaning about.

But what's happened recently hasn't affected the team as much as our internal issues.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You're comparing apples and oranges.

You get in trouble for tampering for two reasons:

1. You make public statements. Which we did, and the Kings didn't.

2. A team formally complains you tampered. We haven't done that with Luke, and won't because we parted ways with him, so there isn't anything the NBA can do.

Basically, the Kings jumped on guy we didn't want around and let leave/fire.

And Vlade played it well, saying he called Luke's people literally five minutes after the Lakers’ split went public. We can guest he might have been in touch with Luke in advance, but there's no evidence of that.

That's much different than going after a player under contract that the team wants to keep.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

What did the Kings say? I’m not sure I understand where this is coming from.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Magic was just bad at tampering he did it too publicly
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

Yup

The guy can't even quit properly.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Yup

The guy can't even quit properly.

Lord... he just kept churning that wordy soup of a “resignation”. It’s like that ex that caught you cheating and got on IG and blasted salt to cope.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: