Breakdown of Lue's and Williams' offense from an Xs and Os Standpoint
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Cool post..
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject:

PLAYS BOTH COACHES RAN

Horns

I don't like to think of Horns as a play, but rather more of an alignment. There are many variations, but the hallmark is when two players (usually the bigs) come up to either elbow to initiate the offense. This is probably one of the most popular alignments in the NBA, as there are a lot of options out of it.

1. Horns Backdoor

Let's start with the Pelicans version of this play, since it is a little simpler and older.

The Pelicans start off in Horns, with Holiday making the entry to Davis at the high post. He then sets a screen for Cole on the weakside. This a decoy action to occupy the defense, so they cannot help on what is to come next. Davis then fakes the dribble handoff to Pondexter. Livingston, anticipating the action, tries to get ahead of it. Pondexter then cuts backdoor, and gets an open layup. Pretty cool stuff.

Lue puts an interesting twist on this for the Cavs, taking advantage of Kevin Love's gravity as a spot up shooter.

LeBron and Love setup at the elbows to initiate Horns. JR Smith pretends to make an Iverson cut as he rubs off the LeBron screen. However, Smith halts the cut midway, looping around the Love back screen to get an open dunk. Love's defender is so concerend about leaving Love open one pass away for an open shot, that he sticks to him and allows Smith to get the opening at the rim. You can see the hesitation Love's defender has in this particular clip.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject:

nice observation
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

OP now updated with section on plays both coaches ran!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Awesome content man, keep it coming!
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic stuff, OP! Keep it coming. Wouldn't mind seeing breakdowns like this for other current NBA coaches
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Fantastic stuff, OP! Keep it coming. Wouldn't mind seeing breakdowns like this for other current NBA coaches

Who do you want to see?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Defense?
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Defense?

That's a different topic. Williams constantly hard hedged on PnR coverage, which left the Pelicans open to a wide variety of attacks. He got criticism for this. I would hope with the game having evolved and having spent time in Philadelphia, he would have changed his ways.

Lue's biggest weakness was transition defense, IMO. The Cavs would rank consistently near the bottom of the league there. Although I am not sure how much of the problem is due to him, versus having players that would get lost on who to guard (JR Smith) and players that were too injured to run back (Love). He definitely deserves some of the blame though, as I've seen the Cavs laughably screw up on that end multiple times.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

With all the Monty Williams buzz thanks to the Suns, let's give him some love. This time, we'll go back to Horns.

MONTY WILLIAMS

Horns

1. Two Up Dribble

This one is fairly basic, but we've seen the Pelicans execute it before. I don't think we will see it run with lineups like this very often in today's NBA where the "4" can't really stretch the floor as well. Lot of times the Pelicans would play Davis and Asik, but that can create spacing problems.

The play starts off in the Horns alignment I discussed earlier, with both bigs at the elbows. Asik sets the screen for Evans who dribbles off it. Asik then dives to the weakside dunker spot. At the same time, Evans executes a dribble handoff with Holiday, which sets him up nicely to attack the basket as Davis sets an inside ball screen.

This action is nice because there's some "prelude" to the final PnR, occupying the defense to make sure they can't get their coverage set. It also gives the guard a head of steam after the dribble handoff to attack the rim, which usually creates favorable situations.

Maybe if we ran this play today, I would expect to see the first big be a shooter, and potentially clear out to the weakside corner, while the player who is currently standing there drops to the weakside wing. Also, if the defense plays the first Asik screen the same way, I would expect that big to "pop" and get the open jumper. Asik is not a threat and the defense isn't really too worried about him setting a screen - you can just see Duncan hang back. On the second inside ball screen that Davis sets, I would also expect to see him pop more to the elbow to open up a better driving lane for the guard.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

OP updated with more Williams plays amidst competition from Suns
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Who do you want to see?

Budenholzer and Snyder
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Who do you want to see?

Budenholzer and Snyder

Yeah maybe as the playoffs go on I'll do Budenholzer.

The Bucks really benefit from his 5 out spacing he started this year. That gives Giannis all the room in the world to attack and kick. Very similar to how Lue played LeBron in Cleveland, but Lue was more focused on the mismatch. Now, I think Giannis is actually better at getting to the rim and finishing than LeBron due to age, so it's just even more deadly.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

More Monty Williams so we can all play Kurt Rambis today.

MONTY WILLIAMS

Flex Action

1. Low Post

This action is pretty interesting and common around the NBA. Davis has 2 options at the post, to use the cross screen or the down screen. The cross screen would allow him to establish deep post position on the other block. The down screen sets him up for a midrange jumper. In this case, he opts to use the cross screen, getting low post position. Gordon, who set the cross screen, then uses the down screen to get that midrange shot I was talking about earlier, which he nails.

Some things to note: the spacing here is not very great, with 3 guys standing so close to each other. The midrange will generally be contested. It might be wise to just use the cross screen to get Davis position on the low block and have the down screen setter flare out a bit more. This is similar to the Cross Post Action I broke down earlier.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

OP now updated with more Monty Williams sets!

With rumors that the Lakers are closing in on their head coaching decision in the coming days, who do you want to see as coach based on the offensive sets depicted here? What coach do you want to see more breakdowns of tomorrow?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all your hard work!
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

Speaking of Lue's and Williams'.....

I sure wish we had Lue Williams on our team right about now.

Amirite?!
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I would think Williams runs a lot of Pops stuff, which is predicated on lots of passing and cutting.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
I would think Williams runs a lot of Pops stuff, which is predicated on lots of passing and cutting.

He actually was more similar to Walton in his Pelicans tenure.

That being said, I'll probably go ahead and break down some of the Sixers current actions to see if there's anything he can bring over. Ben Simmons is as difficult to space around as anybody, so maybe we'll get some ideas.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

With all the Williams hype, do people like what they see as far as his offensive playbook so far?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
With all the Williams hype, do people like what they see as far as his offensive playbook so far?

All I can say is, I hope Monty has learned a few things since the last time he was a head coach...
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

All I can say is, I hope Monty has learned a few things since the last time he was a head coach...

It's a dangerous game hoping an assistant will bring elements from his old team. Walton is a prime example
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I think you guys will agree with me that schematically, Lue is superior and was the right hire, based on available evidence of course.

Look at the use of simple split actions to get easy shots. Also look at how he took advantage of tougher "switching" defenses to help James exploit mismatches.

Over the coming weeks, I'll add more to the Lue section so we can get a better sense of what he'll do with this roster.

I'll happily take suggestions below for what you want to see more of.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: