D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
akk7 wrote:
I thought he actually played a great game overall. Didn’t force anything. Just missed some shots at the rim, which he obviously needs to improve on and he will. They were good takes

He was out there making big plays and hit some huge shots. Also played great defense.

Box score watchers and people who already have made their minds up won’t see any of that though.

Hopefully he finishes around the rim better next game.

Carroll and Harris also can’t be that bad.

this was easily his best game for me

Easily. Sometimes people need to put away the excel spreadsheets, even though I myself love the numbers. Shooting was off, but he hit big shot after big shot, and made huge plays. Other than one or two shots, all his shots were in the flow of the offense. Just have to hit better at the rim.

I knew Kenny was going to take him out for that last defensive stop, which I was fine with. That's how this season has gone. But the guy who he got replaced for in Treveon got out hustled and Scranton's own hit the three.

I literally have no idea what Treveon does well. He seems like a real nice guy and all, so it hurts me to say that.

On top of that, Carroll and Harris played like their own versions of Treveon, so there were three Treeon's out there.

Also in terms of who to keep in Caris vs. Dlo, this team isn't the Lakers. They can keep more than one young guy. Unless KD and Kyrie go to Brooklyn, they're keeping Dlo.

Travean Graham and his 2 clones tonight killed the team.
LaVert is a really good isolation player, but to your point, what really impresses me about Russell is how he plays within and operates the offense.
Without him, the offense just doesnt flow the same.
They will keep both and figure things out.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Russell's honestly getting exposed here. He's a fringe all star and inefficient volume scorer who doesn't bring anything to the table on the defensive end. He's lucky to make an all star game in a watered down Eastern conference where there were injuries to other top guards.

As Laker fans, we need to let it go. Sometimes, I feel like the fanbase would rather support a lottery team with Russell and Randle, than a contender with LeBron James (not saying we have one yet, but...)

The lakers aren't a contender, a playoff team or even a winning one.

They are a lottery team with a 34 year old lebron james who just had their POBO quit embarrassingly on national TV.

It's hard to let go when they're so far away from the goal. The Lakers didn't take one step toward a championship and the clock is ticking on lebron.

Honestly, a russell/randle what if sounds more appealing now than having lebron james. If russell/randle still doesn't get us far, you at least have the hope of trading/adding a top 10 player to make things right.

The lakers added lebron james and still suck. When you reach that point then it's a bit hopeless.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject:

Good learning experience for Russell and company moving forward...

Now, it all depends on what he wants to do. Stay in BK or leave for more money./
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Levert or Dlo? Who would you keep

Both. I think the contrast in their styles could make for a very dynamic offensive attack once they really learn each other. The off court chemistry is already there with them too.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

DLO.

LeVert is too much of an iso player and kills the flow.
DLO is the engine for a much better offense.

Together though, I think LeVert gets in DLO's way sometimes, but if Im the Nets I keep both.

Tonight, Id like to see DLO get some time without LeVert.
Btw, how bad have Harris, Carroll, and Graham been

I will choose Levert. Have you not seen Levert early in the season before the injury? Levert is a very good iso player, but he is also a good play maker and passer and can play within the system. Levert also swings the ball and at times play PG early in the season. If he is allowed to, Levert is a great playmaker.

In the playoffs Levert elevated his game, DLO did not. In game 4, DLO has a terrible 6-19 to score 22 points. Levert has 9-18 to score 25 points and has 6 assist. Levert is faster, taller, better at finishing the rim and better at penetrating than Russell. Levert can hit the 3 point shot and is also a playmaker. Levert is also more efficient than Russell. DLO is just a volume shooter and is not efficient. Levert is also a better defender than Russell. Levert is shooting 47% at 3 pt in the playoffs.

For Levert to suffer a serious injury and play like this in his first nba playoff experience, is really very impressive.The injury just killed the momentum of Levert's improvement.

There was a play in crunch time where he chased JJ around like 10 screens contested his 3pt shot by the right corner, then he flew down the opposite end of the court to snatch the rebound from Embiid.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

DLO.

Together though, I think LeVert gets in DLO's way sometimes, but if Im the Nets I keep both.

I will choose Levert. Have you not seen Levert early in the season before the injury? Levert is a very good iso player, but he is also a good play maker and passer and can play within the system. Levert also swings the ball and at times play PG early in the season. If he is allowed to, Levert is a great playmaker.

In the playoffs Levert elevated his game, DLO did not. In game 4, DLO has a terrible 6-19 to score 22 points. Levert has 9-18 to score 25 points and has 6 assist. Levert is faster, taller, better at finishing the rim and better at penetrating than Russell. Levert can hit the 3 point shot and is also a playmaker. Levert is also more efficient than Russell. DLO is just a volume shooter and is not efficient. Levert is also a better defender than Russell. Levert is shooting 47% at 3 pt in the playoffs.

For Levert to suffer a serious injury and play like this in his first nba playoff experience, is really very impressive.The injury just killed the momentum of Levert's improvement.

There was a play in crunch time where he chased JJ around like 10 screens contested his 3pt shot by the right corner, then he flew down the opposite end of the court to snatch the rebound from Embiid.

Russell played a strong floor game overall despite his shot not falling early. He basically missed midrangers he typically makes and never forced the issue. In addition, the attention he draws from the defense opens up looks for other guys like Allen who had lots of opportunities to cut behind the defense when Russell (and Lavert) probed into the paint and Harris, who unfortunately couldn't convert a single three (0-6) despite getting good looks created for him. Levert is definitely a very good talent in his own right, but he doesn't run the Nets offense overall as well as Russell. The contrast in their styles is something for Kenny Atkinson to use as a weapon to bend defenses. The funny thing is this thread in LG is the only place where people are saying Russell is playing poorly. Everyone else in the national media is saying he's playing well because they understand that FGs made and missed is not the only way to evaluate a player. By this logic, Harden isn't very good either coming off a game where he missed his first 15 shots and is currently shooting 35% from the field and 33% from three. And he also shot 41% and 29% in last year's playoffs.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

DLO.

Russell played a strong floor game overall despite his shot not falling early. He basically missed midrangers he typically makes and never forced the issue. In addition, the attention he draws from the defense opens up looks for other guys like Allen who had lots of opportunities to cut behind the defense when Russell (and Lavert) probed into the paint and Harris, who unfortunately couldn't convert a single three (0-6) despite getting good looks created for him. Levert is definitely a very good talent in his own right, but he doesn't run the Nets offense overall as well as Russell. The contrast in their styles is something for Kenny Atkinson to use as a weapon to bend defenses. The funny thing is this thread in LG is the only place where people are saying Russell is playing poorly. Everyone else in the national media is saying he's playing well because they understand that FGs made and missed is not the only way to evaluate a player. By this logic, Harden isn't very good either coming off a game where he missed his first 15 shots and is currently shooting 35% from the field and 33% from three. And he also shot 41% and 29% in last year's playoffs.

I think the best way to put it is, he hasn’t had any bad games if you have watched the games, but he hasn’t had any great games yet either. Been missing shots he needs to hit, but overall he’s played a decent floor game.

Simmons is one hell of a defender. Never really watched him much before this series.

And you’re wasting your time responding to certain people like you just did. That guy wants Dlo to fail. Once you start clearly seeing certain people’s agendas, not worth the keystrokes.

The whole LeVert Vs. Russell or Dinwiddie Vs. Russell arguments are just ways to put him down. They’re a team. They’re not versing each other. That team needs all of them to be successful the way they are currently constructed.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
KBH wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

DLO.

I think the best way to put it is, he hasn’t had any bad games if you have watched the games, but he hasn’t had any great games yet either. Been missing shots he needs to hit, but overall he’s played a decent floor game.

Simmons is one hell of a defender. Never really watched him much before this series.

And you’re wasting your time responding to certain people like you just did. That guy wants Dlo to fail. Once you start clearly seeing certain people’s agendas, not worth the keystrokes.

The whole LeVert Vs. Russell or Dinwiddie Vs. Russell arguments are just ways to put him down. They’re a team. They’re not versing each other. That team needs all of them to be successful the way they are currently constructed.

Yeah, I agree he hasn't had any great games, which is something you'd love to see. But defenses are tougher in the playoffs and people underrate Simmons' defense, which you just mentioned. The good thing about this series is that he'll have plenty of film on areas where he can improve when he's playing against top defenses/defenders. Needs to work on his floaters a bit more and baiting defenders into contact when he doesn't have clean looks. He's just a few conversions on his makeable shots (or fouls drawn) from having games the box score watchers can't say anything about. One of the things I actually like about him is he has that Kobe mentality when it comes to offensive approach and efficiency. He doesn't try to protect his FG% by not taking bail out shots against the shot clock and doesn't change his approach if he misses his first few attempts. Just keeps plugging until he finds his spots and rhythm.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

Both. I think the contrast in their styles could make for a very dynamic offensive attack once they really learn each other. The off court chemistry is already there with them too.

Yup. Not sure why it’s one or the other. Wish we had this “problem.”
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Nets players not named D’Angelo Russell have combined to shoot 4-29 in the 4th quarter over the last 2 games including 0-14 outside the paint.

The non-call was tough but if they make shots late in two winnable games then it’s a moot point.

https://twitter.com/MicahAdams13/status/1120475162695098369
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
Nets players not named D’Angelo Russell have combined to shoot 4-29 in the 4th quarter over the last 2 games including 0-14 outside the paint.

The non-call was tough but if they make shots late in two winnable games then it’s a moot point.

What has he shot in the 4th in those games?
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Quote:

He's 8/15 total in the last 2 4th quarters
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

In reality, DLO going to get a max deal...

Nets have a ton of holes, but combo guard is definitely their strongest position by far. With the Nets trying to get the big names this summer, I would imagine that another team will max out DLO during the process........and lose DLO.....
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

It is all Levert(their best player) carrying Nets. DLO with a terrible start, 1-9. DLO is just a not efficient volume player. Literally only LeVert came to play. Everyone else is garbage. DLo is on vacation. Allen looks like a deer in headlights. Joe Harris shooting like RHJ.

Embarrassing is an understatement.

anpherknee wrote:
akk7 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Quote:

That means really nothing. There is a game in which the game is already lost(blowout already) when DLO scored in 4th.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
It is all Levert(their best player) carrying Nets. DLO with a terrible start, 1-9. DLO is just a not efficient volume player. Literally only LeVert came to play. Everyone else is garbage. DLo is on vacation. Allen looks like a deer in headlights. Joe Harris shooting like RHJ.

Embarrassing is an understatement.

anpherknee wrote:
akk7 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Quote:

That means really nothing. There is a game in which the game is already lost(blowout already) when DLO scored in 4th.

nah...they was within 6 several times in that 4th quarter...they just never got stops

the other blowout in game 2 he didn't shoot in the 4th
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo ‘Playoff Bust’ Russell
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
D’Angelo ‘Playoff Bust’ Russell

yup.

https://clutchpoints.com/caris-levert-is-the-nets-best-player/

Last edited by ryan_c on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Aww man. I came in here to see some high end stupidity and all I got was a couple of hot takes.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

He went from a bust to a “playoff bust”

I’d say that’s good progression.

The playoffs were a good experience for him. Time for him to put in that work this summer and improve even further. I’m hoping he stays with the Nets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
He went from a bust to a “playoff bust”

I’d say that’s good progression.

The playoffs were a good experience for him. Time for him to put in that work this summer and improve even further. I’m hoping he stays with the Nets.

Bingo. He's 23 and will continue getting better. Good season DLO.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

I doubted him for a while - about whether he’d get to that tier of prospect/player we saw at OSU.. but I’m there now. Give him some better players and he’ll be a perennial all star
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
Russell's honestly getting exposed here. He's a fringe all star and inefficient volume scorer who doesn't bring anything to the table on the defensive end. He's lucky to make an all star game in a watered down Eastern conference where there were injuries to other top guards.

As Laker fans, we need to let it go. Sometimes, I feel like the fanbase would rather support a lottery team with Russell and Randle, than a contender with LeBron James (not saying we have one yet, but...)

The lakers aren't a contender, a playoff team or even a winning one.

They are a lottery team with a 34 year old lebron james who just had their POBO quit embarrassingly on national TV.

It's hard to let go when they're so far away from the goal. The Lakers didn't take one step toward a championship and the clock is ticking on lebron.

Honestly, a russell/randle what if sounds more appealing now than having lebron james. If russell/randle still doesn't get us far, you at least have the hope of trading/adding a top 10 player to make things right.

The lakers added lebron james and still suck. When you reach that point then it's a bit hopeless.

I think you are wrong. We were well on our way to 50 wins before the injuries. I think your take is a bad one.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

I think the Nets will let other teams set the market on Russell before deciding on what to do. I don't see Marks committing a full $27M/year max to Russell right out of the gate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
I think the Nets will let other teams set the market on Russell before deciding on what to do. I don't see Marks committing a full $27M/year max to Russell right out of the gate.

I agree. That's what RFA is for. I don't see him getting a full 27m/year max but maybe Nets get desperate.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I hope he prefers taking a slight pay cut to stay in that organization instead of taking a max from a bad organization. I feel like the Nets can maximize him. They need to be less strict with minutes though. They were playing guys 30 mins even in playoff games.

KIROE what changed for you?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 87 of 100
Jump to: