James Holzhauer on Jeopardy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: James Holzhauer on Jeopardy

Has anyone been watching this guy play? He won last night for the 14th time and has amassed $1,061,554 during that time. He won $131,000 on one show. He is a professional gambler from Las Vegas and uses some gambling techniques, including jumping around the board so his opponents can’t get comfortable with a category. And he is as aggressive as hell, he will bet $10,000 to $20,000 on double jeopardy. Last night he was at about $60,000 and bet $40,000 on final jeopardy. As long as he is winning I won’t miss a show.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

Do they give you the topic before hand to study?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Yeah, pretty crazy. First he crushed the previous record for one night's winning of $75k with a $110k and then he had the $131k night.

In 14 games, he's almost half way to Ken Jennings overall $2.5 mil which he made in 74 shows!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

Not watching every show, but definitely keeping up with his daily performance.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Yeah, pretty crazy. First he crushed the previous record for one night's winning of $75k with a $110k and then he had the $131k night.

In 14 games, he's almost half way to Ken Jennings overall $2.5 mil which he made in 74 shows!

I don't recall but during Ken Jennings' reign, were the dollar values the same? At some point they doubled it.

*edit* They doubled it in 2001.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

He is unbelievable, his knowledge and quick reactions are uncanny and he is using his sports gambling background to high advantage by doubling on practically every Daily Double.

No one is beating this guy any time soon.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Semi-related but ABC did a segment on the news last night, and said that Trebek has been the only host of Jeopardy. How can we forget Art Fleming? In the late 80's he had a 4-hour Sunday night "Trivia Spectacular" on KMOX in St. Louis. I used to listen every Sunday night.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Semi-related but ABC did a segment on the news last night, and said that Trebek has been the only host of Jeopardy. How can we forget Art Fleming? In the late 80's he had a 4-hour Sunday night "Trivia Spectacular" on KMOX in St. Louis. I used to listen every Sunday night.

Must have meant to say “modern era” version.

Interesting fact, he had a bit in the Weird Al video “I Lost on Jeopardy.”

Bye.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Bye.

His version was shown in Twilight Zone: The Movie. How's that for trivial knowledge? Kick The Can segment, Scatman Crothers.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

Can we force him to reproduce
Demand he donate to a sperm bank?

I kid I kid

sort of

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Bye.

Or in Ventura and Jodekes case "before television"
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

I get IQ ranges, etc., but I am still at a loss for how someone retains so much knowledge on so many different subjects. Bouncing from Modern Field Sports to 16th Century Art to WWII to Animal Kingdom: South America is something that I have a hard time understanding how a young man could gain and retain moderately deep knowledge with such broad subjects.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

I feel bad for his opponents they probably had to go thru multiple rounds of qualifying to get on the show and now they face this guy.....
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I feel bad for his opponents they probably had to go thru multiple rounds of qualifying to get on the show and now they face this guy.....

I watched an episode the other day where his two opponents actually played very well, I don't think either missed a question.

One had about $7,000 and other about $10,000 heading to Final Jeopardy which normally would give you a shot at winning.

Problem was The Champ had about $70,000 heading into Final Jeopardy so the game was long since over.

Right now is a bad time to be on the show as you aren't going to win.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
governator wrote:

According to some previous participants, the answer is no.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Jeopardy-contestants-get-a-study-guide
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

He did an interview with ESPN recently and he said they taped 5 episodes per day. Obviously what you are watching was taped months in advance so only he or the producers of the show know if he is still on or not. But I would assume the other contestants know what a buzz saw they are going thru and you can see it when they realize they are witnesses and both clap their hands when he goes thru the board with ease and claims the double jeopardy questions. The other two contestants right now are just there to claim their appearance fees.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I get IQ ranges, etc., but I am still at a loss for how someone retains so much knowledge on so many different subjects. Bouncing from Modern Field Sports to 16th Century Art to WWII to Animal Kingdom: South America is something that I have a hard time understanding how a young man could gain and retain moderately deep knowledge with such broad subjects.

He said that he prepares for the show by hanging out in the kids book section, that things are there in a way that is easy to understand.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

^Article that gives some insight into his preparation at BookRiot
https://bookriot.com/2019/04/12/james-holzhauer-interview/
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

The human brain is a phenomenal instrument and probably the most complex thing that exists in the known universe. We barely even know anything about it at this point of history, as we don't know what causes some mental disorders, let alone what accounts for mental phenomena like consciousness, dreams, ESP, hunches, etc.

A better question would be, how has this guy found the time to accumulate all this knowledge while still having a social life (assuming he has one), a job, a family (if he has one), etc.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The human brain is a phenomenal instrument and probably the most complex thing that exists in the known universe. We barely even know anything about it at this point of history, as we don't know what causes some mental disorders, let alone what accounts for mental phenomena like consciousness, dreams, ESP, hunches, etc.

A better question would be, how has this guy found the time to accumulate all this knowledge while still having a social life (assuming he has one), a job, a family (if he has one), etc.

He has a wife and kid. He is a professional gambler and this isn't his first time on a TV game show. He was on another game show before see the clip below. Notice he pretty much did all the work for his team....

I notice there were some trolls questioning the legitimacy of his Jeopardy wins saying it might be rigged but if you look at this appearance on the other show in the past, it shows that he is legit.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

A sports category for a sports gambler...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He has a wife and kid. He is a professional gambler and this isn't his first time on a TV game show. He was on another game show before see the clip below. Notice he pretty much did all the work for his team....

I notice there were some trolls questioning the legitimacy of his Jeopardy wins saying it might be rigged but if you look at this appearance on the other show in the past, it shows that he is legit.

Didn't I read his wife appeared on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" a few years ago?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Ted wrote:
governator wrote:

According to some previous participants, the answer is no.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Jeopardy-contestants-get-a-study-guide

That’s incredible, a lot of these knowledge are random stuff
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

anyone still play Trivial Pursuit....is that still a thing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: