Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

Quote:
A tiny fraction of the site’s ­users are responsible for the lion’s share of tweets — and they tend to be younger, wealthier and more liberal than the national average, according to a Pew Research Center study published Wednesday.

Quote:
About 22 percent of Americans use Twitter.

And roughly 10 percent of those users are responsible for 80 percent of tweets — meaning just 2 percent of Americans are contributing to a majority of the site’s dialogue, the researchers noted.

LINK

The summary conclusion is not the least bit surprising, but it is somewhat surprising that the platform is driven by such a tiny fraction of the population. Twitter creates narratives that are driven by approximately 2% of the population.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks to Olivia Jade Mossimo, I now know there's a career path for these people.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

a large part of that echo is because this president uses it like an official proclamation so they can't stop the echos in his lies

Twitter Won’t Ban White Nationalists Because It Would Also Affect Republicans
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
a large part of that echo is because this president uses it like an official proclamation so they can't stop the echos in his lies

I really do hope they discover some form of therapy or medication that can help.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Most websites, social media, and forums are echo chambers of our own thoughts, beliefs, and morals. I doubt many of us go to sites or use social media that is out of our comfort zone and representative of opposing views or beliefs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Most websites, social media, and forums are echo chambers of our own thoughts, beliefs, and morals. I doubt many of us go to sites or use social media that is out of our comfort zone and representative of opposing views or beliefs.

Of course, but Twitter is not just another website or platform....at least by perception. Twitter has influence, or again is perceived to have influence.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

what I really despise about twitter and other social media platforms is that they are now used by the media to help drive whatever narrative they want by cherry picking opinions that fit their agenda and make it seem like there is a large % of people thinking the same way
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
A tiny fraction of the site’s ­users are responsible for the lion’s share of tweets — and they tend to be younger, wealthier and more liberal than the national average, according to a Pew Research Center study published Wednesday.

Quote:

And roughly 10 percent of those users are responsible for 80 percent of tweets — meaning just 2 percent of Americans are contributing to a majority of the site’s dialogue, the researchers noted.

LINK

The summary conclusion is not the least bit surprising, but it is somewhat surprising that the platform is driven by such a tiny fraction of the population. Twitter creates narratives that are driven by approximately 2% of the population.

If you haven’t heard it, check out Joe Rogans podcast with Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde and Tim Pool. Very interesting discussion regarding the censorship policies on Twitter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

BigGameHames wrote:
If you haven’t heard it, check out Joe Rogans podcast with Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde and Tim Pool. Very interesting discussion regarding the censorship policies on Twitter.

I looked at this....and saw it was over 3 hours long, and thought I will never get through this in the way that I listen to podcasts....mostly in my car. Then I have been in may car for a few hours.....made it through about 1.5 hours, and was so interested, did not want to exit car!

Why in the world did Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde even consider walking into this format with Rogans and Pool? They had to know Rogan is not the type of dude to let them spin bs, and so far Pool has literally obliterated them at every point. The scariest part is to think Gadde is buried so deep within her world bubble that she actually believes some of the things she claims.

She basically claims the findings of this Pew Research are false, albeit the report came after her appearance. There were a couple of instances that she simply was being dishonest, or she does not know the accurate answer....one was when she claimed that all reported Tweets are reviewed in a queue and and their position is not related to the # of times reported, which suggests that coordinated efforts would not be beneficial in getting someone suspended or banned.....but I specifically recall in front of Congress, they claimed that the # of times reported directly influenced its position in a queue which is exactly how these coordinated efforts to silence users work.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I looked at this....and saw it was over 3 hours long, and thought I will never get through this in the way that I listen to podcasts....mostly in my car. Then I have been in may car for a few hours.....made it through about 1.5 hours, and was so interested, did not want to exit car!

Why in the world did Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde even consider walking into this format with Rogans and Pool? They had to know Rogan is not the type of dude to let them spin bs, and so far Pool has literally obliterated them at every point. The scariest part is to think Gadde is buried so deep within her world bubble that she actually believes some of the things she claims.

She basically claims the findings of this Pew Research are false, albeit the report came after her appearance. There were a couple of instances that she simply was being dishonest, or she does not know the accurate answer....one was when she claimed that all reported Tweets are reviewed in a queue and and their position is not related to the # of times reported, which suggests that coordinated efforts would not be beneficial in getting someone suspended or banned.....but I specifically recall in front of Congress, they claimed that the # of times reported directly influenced its position in a queue which is exactly how these coordinated efforts to silence users work.

I think a lot of it was arrogance and they underestimated Pool. Rogan interviewed Dorsey fairly recently on his own and got a lot of flack for not addressing the issues they discussed in this pod. Dorsey and Gadde are clearly extremely intelligent and likely believed that was enough. Rogan wouldn’t let them BS but he also isn’t as educated on the topic. Tim Pool on the other hand had thoroughly prepared which allowed Rogan to see when they started BSing. Dorsey and Gadde had no chance to be prepared to address everything Pool confronted them with. Seemed like they knowingly walked into an ambush at times.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Really eye opening stuff.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

adkindo wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

LINK

This does not seem particularly odd to me. 2 in nine people post on Twitter, and ten percent of them create 80% of the posts. And users of a popular tech platform skew more liberal and more affluent than the median. Seems obvious. That’s like saying Instagram users skew female. Or that AARP members skew in favor of buffets.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

LINK

This does not seem particularly odd to me. 2 in nine people post on Twitter, and ten percent of them create 80% of the posts. And users of a popular tech platform skew more liberal and more affluent than the median. Seems obvious. That’s like saying Instagram users skew female. Or that AARP members skew in favor of buffets.

My surprise is not the way it skews demographically, but such a tiny % drive most of the traffic. I think we would agree that Twitter has became a very influential media platform in the daily conversation in America....even when some taking part in those conversations are not aware of Twitters role in driving it to the surface. 2% of the population driving 80% of the traffic is what I find surprising.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

LINK

My surprise is not the way it skews demographically, but such a tiny % drive most of the traffic. I think we would agree that Twitter has became a very influential media platform in the daily conversation in America....even when some taking part in those conversations are not aware of Twitters role in driving it to the surface. 2% of the population driving 80% of the traffic is what I find surprising.

That's kind of a fudged number though, if you consider that 78% of the population doesn't have a Twitter account to begin with and therefore can't post anything. The actual number is 10% of the people with accounts posting 80% of the content, and that's not particularly odd in that type of medium. The old rule of 80/20 comes to mind, amped up a bit and transferred to content rather than revenue.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

Omar Little wrote:
That's kind of a fudged number though, if you consider that 78% of the population doesn't have a Twitter account to begin with and therefore can't post anything. The actual number is 10% of the people with accounts posting 80% of the content, and that's not particularly odd in that type of medium. The old rule of 80/20 comes to mind, amped up a bit and transferred to content rather than revenue.

I understand what you are saying, and I understand that you are not surprised by the results....but I still am for this reason, and it could be a flawed perception on my part. While similar numbers may hold true on other platforms, I do not feel anything has had the influence of Twitter in the past. Reddit is powerful, but not on the level of Twitter per my personal perception.

Consider me for example....you know my age....not too old, no longer young...I do not have a personal Twitter account. I have one for my company, but the only dialogue on that account is industry focused and professional. Still, when news breaks, or I am searching for something real time....I often go to Twitter. So you have me, who does not personally tweet, follow, etc. on the platform, yet it is often a go to source for information. Maybe I am unique.....but I am usually a decent representative of the average guy (or a Sexy Intelligent Hillbilly).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I understand what you are saying, and I understand that you are not surprised by the results....but I still am for this reason, and it could be a flawed perception on my part. While similar numbers may hold true on other platforms, I do not feel anything has had the influence of Twitter in the past. Reddit is powerful, but not on the level of Twitter per my personal perception.

Consider me for example....you know my age....not too old, no longer young...I do not have a personal Twitter account. I have one for my company, but the only dialogue on that account is industry focused and professional. Still, when news breaks, or I am searching for something real time....I often go to Twitter. So you have me, who does not personally tweet, follow, etc. on the platform, yet it is often a go to source for information. Maybe I am unique.....but I am usually a decent representative of the average guy (or a Sexy Intelligent Hillbilly).

FWIW, thanks for being willing to give and take on this subject without it being about our partisan disagreements. And I hear you, it is jarring to think about how few people are making the socio-political content. But when you think about it, what percentage of Americans are the members of the news media (many of whom are also the biggest Twitter content providers)? A tiny fraction of one percent? And they issue the vast vast majority of content read and watched. It's the nature of media platforms that small numbers of people drive them.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

We are still learning to adapt to social media. This is a worldwide cultural phenomenon. Progress has been slow, for sure, but you can see that people are gradually becoming more wary of information on social media and faster to spot trolls. I expect that future generations will laugh about how unsophisticated we are.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what percentage of LG'rs post 80% of comments. It's probably like 10% depending on how you determine active members.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I think a lot of it was arrogance and they underestimated Pool. Rogan interviewed Dorsey fairly recently on his own and got a lot of flack for not addressing the issues they discussed in this pod. Dorsey and Gadde are clearly extremely intelligent and likely believed that was enough. Rogan wouldn’t let them BS but he also isn’t as educated on the topic. Tim Pool on the other hand had thoroughly prepared which allowed Rogan to see when they started BSing. Dorsey and Gadde had no chance to be prepared to address everything Pool confronted them with. Seemed like they knowingly walked into an ambush at times.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Really eye opening stuff.

Funny, I had the exact opposite perspective of the show than you guys. I thought for the most part they did a good job explaining why they make the decisions they make when they deplatform people, and the three strikes you are out policy seems reasonable. At the same time, they conceded that they’ve made mistakes but that they are doing their best to get it right while growing their business. They do need to do a better job explaining why they deplatform people.

I was also impressed with Pool. IMO, His best point which Rogan agreed with was that they shouldn’t be banning people for making jokes, and shouldn’t be banning people for being factually correct about calling them by their true gender.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

Surfitall wrote:
I was also impressed with Pool. IMO, His best point which Rogan agreed with was that they shouldn’t be banning people for making jokes, and shouldn’t be banning people for being factually correct about calling them by their true gender.

Excuse me . . . "True" gender? Care to clarify what you think someone's "true" gender is?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Excuse me . . . "True" gender? Care to clarify what you think someone's "true" gender is?

I assume he is referring to a persons factual scientific / biological gender. You would need to listen to the show to understand the context of the discussion and the point Pool was attempting to highlight in regards to free speech, the choices made to limit free speech, who makes those choices, the effects of those choices, etc.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

^^^I will say this....no matter where you are in the debate, or which partisan side you take in your daily life.....the discussion was very interesting and a good listen for anyone.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I don’t know if you can have a true gender. It’s all fluid and you can’t put a number on how many genders there are. Yesterday I identifed male, and today I identify as a fire truck.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

FWIW, thanks for being willing to give and take on this subject without it being about our partisan disagreements. And I hear you, it is jarring to think about how few people are making the socio-political content. But when you think about it, what percentage of Americans are the members of the news media (many of whom are also the biggest Twitter content providers)? A tiny fraction of one percent? And they issue the vast vast majority of content read and watched. It's the nature of media platforms that small numbers of people drive them.

You guys are right, however, the main issue with Twitter is that you have large, influential voices (i.e. the media, celebrities, etc) that use and weaponize a lot of the content from Twitter.

So even if a small percentage of our population actually engages with the platform itself, a large percentage of our population is exposed to the content on it (whether one feels that content is good or bad is sort of moot).

As an example, IIRC, the entire Covington kids story became national news but originated from and was promulgated by an anonymous account which has since been deactivated by Twitter.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I assume he is referring to a persons factual scientific / biological gender. You would need to listen to the show to understand the context of the discussion and the point Pool was attempting to highlight in regards to free speech, the choices made to limit free speech, who makes those choices, the effects of those choices, etc.

Yes, exactly.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

I guess I'll give my .02. I don't use twitter and only occasionally look at tweets that been noted by others. As with many, if not most, editorials, rarely is data involved, so how one would use it to inform them of anything else but some individual's opinion, is way beyond me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14
Jump to: