2019 NFL Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

In looking at more stuff, I thought the Rams did alright with where their draft position was. They moved down so many times and then up as well. I think their first 4 picks have a chance to be solid contributors for them. I like Rapp, and he can be the heir apparent to Weddle possibly as soon as next season. Henderson is another toy for the offense, as I'm sure they want to scale back Gurley's work considerably. Long is a good 3rd Round CB value, and Bobby Evans for the O-line in the late 3rd was a worthy choice too. And a 5th Round O-line guy from Wisconsin is probably never a bad idea.

As for the Giants, while I despise their Daniel Jones pick at #6 overall, I thought they got 4 good players after that in Dexter Lawrence, Deandre Baker, Ximines, and Julian Love, who was a heist in the 4th Rd.

I liked everything the Bengals did except Drew Sample in Round 2. Thought he was a 4th or 5th rounder. But their next 5 picks after that were all good values, I thought.

Similarly to the Saints, I thought the Chargers (another team with a deep roster) picked up two big-time players with their first 2 picks, as I love both Tillery and Adderley. And while I didn't know much about their 3rd rounder, offensive tackle Trey Pipkins is well-liked by the draftnik analysis I saw.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I tuned in only to see what the Texans were doing. Every year, I find it interesting to see how the real front offices compare to the pundits, bearing in mind that any of the pundits who was really a genius at assessing talent would be working for a team. On the other hand, a lot of the people in real front offices are going to be looking for a job before long.

I think I predicted earlier in this thread that someone would fall in love with Kyler Murray. Sure enough, they did. Maybe the Cards know what they're doing, but I think it is questionable logic to burn a #1 pick on a QB who is not even close to a sure thing. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of fans heard the name Daniel Jones and had to run a Google search.

Arizona certainly did everything to make Murray comfortable, too. I mean, obviously, the scheme fit with Kingsbury as coach is a given, but not only did they already have a speed fit for him in Christian Kirk (from Texas A&M, where Murray started his college career), but then they got him another shifty speed WR in Andy Isabella, who should take over in the slot for Larry Fitzgerald next season, AND then they got big-bodied deep threat Hakeem Butler too, and he has very good speed for a man his size. On paper, at least the offense should be fun this season, and I haven't even mentioned David Johnson yet.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I would be happy if I was a Colts fan....Paris has a chance to be good

I don't watch much college football, but I know he was tied for fastest WR in the combine. Is he similar to TY Hilton, but bigger? Colts needed to get someone to take some of the attention away from TY.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I don't watch much college football, but I know he was tied for fastest WR in the combine. Is he similar to TY Hilton, but bigger? Colts needed to get someone to take some of the attention away from TY.

Yes he's a little bigger. (Hilton is 5'10 and about 180-185, and Campbell is listed at 6'1 208.) His closest comp, according to scouts, is Percy Harvin, who was 5'11 and 200.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yes he's a little bigger. (Hilton is 5'10 and about 180-185, and Campbell is listed at 6'1 208.) His closest comp, according to scouts, is Percy Harvin, who was 5'11 and 200.

yeah...Percy was fast, but not as fast as Paris. Paris is pretty raw in my opinion.....but most college receivers are raw when it comes to route running....reading and adjusting to schemes. His sheer speed will get him through a year or two while he develops.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I had to step away after David Sills did not get drafted. Sure I am bias, but that is some bs! I know he does not have great speed for a WR, but a 6'4" guy with over 120 Receptions, 2000 Yards and 35 TD's over the last 2 seasons as part of a 3 Receiver trio in one of college footballs most prolific offenses.....and D2 receivers are getting drafted over him?

Oh well, I got over it once I saw he signed with the Bills....they are thin at Receiver, so he has a solid chance to stick.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Saints signed Lil'Jordan Humphrey.....I think that cat has tons of potential.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Corey Ballentine went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows over the weekend.

Despite playing football at a low-profile Division II school, Ballentine was drafted by the NFL's New York Giants on Saturday night, the culmination of years of hard work on and off the field.

"I've been waiting on this opportunity for a lifetime really," he told Giants coach Pat Shurmur after hearing the news.

But in a tragic turn just hours later, Ballentine was injured in an off-campus shooting in Topeka, Kansas, that killed one of his Washburn University teammates.

Giants Draft Pick Involved in Deadly Shooting Hours After Being Drafted
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I tuned in only to see what the Texans were doing. Every year, I find it interesting to see how the real front offices compare to the pundits, bearing in mind that any of the pundits who was really a genius at assessing talent would be working for a team. On the other hand, a lot of the people in real front offices are going to be looking for a job before long.

I think I predicted earlier in this thread that someone would fall in love with Kyler Murray. Sure enough, they did. Maybe the Cards know what they're doing, but I think it is questionable logic to burn a #1 pick on a QB who is not even close to a sure thing. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of fans heard the name Daniel Jones and had to run a Google search.

Arizona certainly did everything to make Murray comfortable, too. I mean, obviously, the scheme fit with Kingsbury as coach is a given, but not only did they already have a speed fit for him in Christian Kirk (from Texas A&M, where Murray started his college career), but then they got him another shifty speed WR in Andy Isabella, who should take over in the slot for Larry Fitzgerald next season, AND then they got big-bodied deep threat Hakeem Butler too, and he has very good speed for a man his size. On paper, at least the offense should be fun this season, and I haven't even mentioned David Johnson yet.

I guess, but they sure have done a lot of damage to themselves over the last couple years. Murray (and Kingsbury) had better be a star, or else the Cards are going to be hurting for years to come. They could win the Tua sweepstakes, which would be sort of funny to be honest.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I guess, but they sure have done a lot of damage to themselves over the last couple years. Murray (and Kingsbury) had better be a star, or else the Cards are going to be hurting for years to come. They could win the Tua sweepstakes, which would be sort of funny to be honest.

So could Miami, which is why their move for Rosen is such a good risk for them. They "only" gave up a late 2nd round pick for the chance that they got a promising young QB, and since Arizona paid him a lot of his upfront money, Miami only owes him $6MM over the next 3 seasons. If Rosen looks like a keeper this year, obviously they can move forward with him. But if not, they haven't incurred a big hit, and they can still have a shot to get Tua or Herbert next year in the draft. They will have a 1st, 2 2nd's, 2 4th's, and 2 6th's, which is a lot of ammo to move up if necessary, too.

(If it wasn't clear, while Miami gave up a late 2nd rounder for Rosen, they brilliantly traded down from their scheduled 2nd round pick, picked up a 2020 2nd rounder in the process, and then moved their own pick after the trade down for Rosen.)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

how mad would Rosen be if he has a decent year, but Miami is just so void of talent, they end up with the 1st pick next year and take Tua.....and Rosen is traded for a 3rd Rounder.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Will Grier to the Panthers! Interesting. I mean, you'd think he has no chance to start for a while there. Purely a guy who can play if Newton gets injured. And he's 24 so he doesn't have a lot of development to do.

saw an article today that was written before the draft on a WVU blog....and they felt like you did. The writer thought the ideal landing location for Grier was New England or the Chargers.....and thought the worst landing spot would be Carolina.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
how mad would Rosen be if he has a decent year, but Miami is just so void of talent, they end up with the 1st pick next year and take Tua.....and Rosen is traded for a 3rd Rounder.
Pittsburgh should make that trade.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:

They do have Mason Rudolph, who was taken in the 3rd Round last year, but maybe they don't think too highly of him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:

They do have Mason Rudolph, who was taken in the 3rd Round last year, but maybe they don't think too highly of him.

I think he is still stuffed in the locker that Roethlisberger placed him in after he was drafted.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

Booger to the Booth.....

Quote:
Booger McFarland will move from his field-analyst position to join play-by-play commentator Joe Tessitore in the booth for the 50th season of Monday Night Football, ESPN announced Wednesday.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Adam Schefter Verified account
@AdamSchefter

Raiders’ RB Isaiah Crowell tore his Achilles during a workout with the team Monday and is out for the season, per source. Crowell will undergo season-ending surgery next week. Brutal blow for a player who signed a one-year contract with Oakland.

8:15 AM - 1 May 2019
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter

Raiders’ RB Isaiah Crowell tore his Achilles during a workout with the team Monday and is out for the season, per source. Crowell will undergo season-ending surgery next week. Brutal blow for a player who signed a one-year contract with Oakland.

Wonder if they could take a look at Jay Ajayi. Or even Doug Martin again.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter

not sure, they drafted Josh Jacobs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter

not sure, they drafted Josh Jacobs.

I know, but they may not be able to know for sure if he can be a true feature guy for 16 games. I'm sure they wanted Crowell to at least handle some of the load on early downs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I know, but they may not be able to know for sure if he can be a true feature guy for 16 games. I'm sure they wanted Crowell to at least handle some of the load on early downs.

you do not have to convince me that is questionable.....I am a fan of the team that used a high 2nd Round pick on Ronald Jones last year....he rushed for 44 yards his rookie season on 23 carries in 9 games. A person could almost literally run to the line of scrimmage and fall forward.....and be more productive that Jones last year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

you do not have to convince me that is questionable.....I am a fan of the team that used a high 2nd Round pick on Ronald Jones last year....he rushed for 44 yards his rookie season on 23 carries in 9 games. A person could almost literally run to the line of scrimmage and fall forward.....and be more productive that Jones last year.

And Tampa did not draft a back. You'd have to think that they could be on the lookout for veteran help, either with a free agent signing or a trade. Maybe Buffalo cuts the cord on McCoy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

And Tampa did not draft a back. You'd have to think that they could be on the lookout for veteran help, either with a free agent signing or a trade. Maybe Buffalo cuts the cord on McCoy.

not sure, maybe Arians thinks he can do something with Jones. Right now on the roster is Peyton Barber, Ronald Jones, and Shaun Wilson. Roster also shows Andre Ellington an old back from Clemson and Dare Ogunbowale who was at Wisconsin a couple years ago.....not sure if they were on practice squad or camp signings. If the old staff was returning, I would expect they may bring back Charles Sims who was out all season last year with injury....but I have no reason to believe the knew staff would have interest.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Theismann gives Haskins OK to wear No. 7

Quote:
Former quarterback Joe Theismann, the last player to wear the number for the team, told 106.7 The Fan on Wednesday that he spoke with quarterback Dwayne Haskins, picked by the Redskins in the first round last week, and gave him his permission to wear the number this season.

LINK

In a very short period, this guy just rubs me the wrong way. First, I saw him on ESPN right before the draft, and dude just looks sloppy. I will not be surprised if weight becomes a factor for him early in his career....but I have a pet peeve with sloppy Roethlisberger looking QB's. That is a me issue. Then guy gets drafted 15th after playing 1 year of college football, and his reaction is "The league done messed up". Really? I may have taken him sooner or maybe not....but the NFL messed up because 14 players were chosen in front of him? I have heard those type of statements from guys that go undrafted or are drafted very late....but 15th? I thought it came off as immature and classless. Finally, his very first concern after being drafted is to wear a Redskins legends number. He played for a team that had significantly more talent than his opponents every Saturday, and I think he is in for a rude awakening when that advantage is not longer in place. He may be great, he may be a bust....but it just feels like the young man has his priorities all out of order.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

Speak of the Devil...

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
·
6m

The #Raiders are bringing back RB Doug Martin, sources tell me and
@wyche89
. Martin ran got 723 yards with Oakland last year. Rejoins the team following the loss of Isaiah Crowell.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16
Jump to: