Texas Teen dubbed "White Lightning" after record breaking sprint...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Texas Teen dubbed "White Lightning" after record breaking sprint...

Quote:
A high school senior in Texas just ran a 100-meter dash in 9.98 seconds – that's fast enough to be an Olympic final. Runner Matthew Boling, nicknamed "White Lightning," broke his school's record, and he may even be the fastest high school sprinter in the country, KHOU reports.

LINK

If you ran track, you know that a sub 10 second 100 is beyond fast. Later in article, it points out due to the 4.2 mph breeze at his back, it will not officially be recognized as a national record. I have been to many track events, and I have seen male and females from every race and ethnicity win races, but I have honestly never seen a high level high school short sprint with this image....

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-second_barrier

For sprints, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) rules for world records and other recognised performances require: a wind assistance of not more than two metres per second (7.2 kilometres per hour (4.5 mph)) in the direction of travel; fully automatic timing (FAT) to one hundredth of a second; and no use of performance-enhancing substances.[5] Wind gauge malfunctions or infractions may invalidate a sprinter's time.[6]

According to wikipedia, he's only the 139th person ever recorded in the world sprinting 100m dash under 10s
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Viral track star sets high school record in 100m

Quote:
Houston Strake Jesuit senior Matthew Boling, who became a viral sensation last month after running a 9.98-second 100-meter dash, set a national record Saturday at the Texas state high school track and field championships.

Boling won the Texas Class 6A boys 100-meter dash in a wind-legal time of 10.13 seconds, surpassing the previous National Federation of High Schools record of 10.15 set by sprinter Henry Neal of Austin (Texas) Greenville High in 1990.

LINK
BotPoster24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Normally when I watch HS 100m you see them hit a wall. This kid is special.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

9.98seconds... that performance would have gotten him into the final heat at the 2016 Olympics, and he would have finished seventh.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

he is going to UGA on a track scholarship...that is great and all, but if I was the kid, I would try giving catching the football a chance. There is more riches in that path.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
he is going to UGA on a track scholarship...that is great and all, but if I was the kid, I would try giving catching the football a chance. There is more riches in that path.

A white lightning sprinter... he'll get endorsement regardless if he start winning in Track&Fields too. Plus he's already one of the best (only the 139th human ever recorded running sub-10s), football he might not be the best/among the best
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

That is flying. As a formerly fast white dude (4.4 in the 40 yard dash, 10.1 in the 100) I am impressed.

Ok, time to come clean. It was 100 YARDS when I ran track.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:

A white lightning sprinter... he'll get endorsement regardless if he start winning in Track&Fields too. Plus he's already one of the best (only the 139th human ever recorded running sub-10s), football he might not be the best/among the best

That is true....James Jett who is from my home state of WV and played football at WVU....then played about a decade in the NFL as a receiver for the Raiders was also an Olympic sprinter who won a Gold Medal in the 4x100 in Barcelona (1992). He was mostly a mediocre player in the NFL despite his world class speed. His personal best in the 100 Meters is 10.10 seconds.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That is flying. As a formerly fast white dude (4.4 in the 40 yard dash, 10.1 in the 100) I am impressed.

I was considered very fast in college football, and my best time in the 40 yards was a 4.45. My guess is I would have struggled to turn in a sub 11 in the 100 yards.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

And more risk of career ending and life threatening injury. Also, if he’s just another fast guy who will be nothing more than a deep threat, is there for sure more money in it? A white guy winning medals in the Olympics for sprinting could get a significant amount of endorsements that pay very well. Imagine if Phelps was black, he’d probably be even more famous because it is so unusual and he already does pretty damn well. I think you’re right, just had this thought that maybe it isn’t as obvious of an answer as it is on the surface.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

unless he becomes a Bolt or Phelps level athlete (which is far from a given - many high school track standouts peak early and dont take that next leap) he could easily out earn his track earnings in a single NFL contract
but yes him becoming good enough in football to be drafted in the NFL is probably even less likely
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I was considered very fast in college football, and my best time in the 40 yards was a 4.45. My guess is I would have struggled to turn in a sub 11 in the 100 yards.

If you run 4.45 in the 40, then mathematically, you should be at 11.125 at 100 yds.

But, you should run the last 60 yds at a faster pace because you don't have to start.

So, I think you should be running the 100 yds in under 11 sec.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If you run 4.45 in the 40, then mathematically, you should be at 11.125 at 100 yds.

But, you should run the last 60 yds at a faster pace because you don't have to start.

if I recall, an athlete not trained in sprinting, usually is at their fastest pace between 30-60 yards. As you point out, the start slows the initial 20-30 yards down. After 60 yards, their pace usually diminishes for several reasons including strength, endurance and mechanics/form.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

if I recall, an athlete not trained in sprinting, usually is at their fastest pace between 30-60 yards. As you point out, the start slows the initial 20-30 yards down. After 60 yards, their pace usually diminishes for several reasons including strength, endurance and mechanics/form.

ok, I can't debate since I have zero experience/expertise.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

If you are a track and field star, its likely you are going to spend most of your professional career in Europe where there is still an audience for that type of sport. Football pays a lot but I can guarantee you he will end up with some debilitating injuries post-NFL if he does make it that far.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

ok, I can't debate since I have zero experience/expertise.

and am not 100% sure my statement is absolutely correct, but I have read something similar....I recall it talking about how people and even in shape athletes that have never been trained as a sprinter will stand more upright as they tire which affects their aerodynamics as well as their arms tend to lose form, etc. etc.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

If you are a track and field star, its likely you are going to spend most of your professional career in Europe where there is still an audience for that type of sport. Football pays a lot but I can guarantee you he will end up with some debilitating injuries post-NFL if he does make it that far.

maybe, but its also common for sprinters to end up with shredded knees and fake hips also.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: