2019 R&R HOF Inductees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: 2019 R&R HOF Inductees

I caught the ceremonies on HBO last night. They had a pretty good lineup, Stevie Nicks, The Cure, Janet Jackson, Roxie Music, the Zombies, Radiohead, and Def Leppard. All performed except for Radiohead and Jackson. Susanna Hoffs introduced the Zombies and I was surprised at how many of their songs I liked. Brian May introduced Def Leppard and said that when Freddy passed, Joe Elliott was the first person to call him. The guys can still rock, I was a fan after their first album in 1977 but have never seen them live. Great finale, Def Leppard were joined by May, Ian Hunter and some that were inducted for a rousing version of All the Young Dudes. It’s always a good day when you get your Mott the Hoople on.

I really enjoyed the Zombies and I had never considered May one of the great guitarist that I have seen, and that was a mistake. Ian Hunter has to be 70 but the guy can still bring it. And no matter what age she is, Susanna Hoffs is still smoking hot.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

The Zombies have an odd history. They were a commercial flop during their existence. They split up in frustration. Then Time of the Season became a hit in the US. The record company tried to get them to reunite for an American tour, but they refused. So the record company created a couple fake versions of the band to tour the US, one of which included two future members of ZZ Top. Go figure.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

How the heck did Todd Rundgren and MC5 not get in? They were on the ballot this year. Madness!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 R&R HOF Inductees

venturalakersfan wrote:
I caught the ceremonies on HBO last night. They had a pretty good lineup, Stevie Nicks, The Cure, Janet Jackson, Roxie Music, the Zombies, Radiohead, and Def Leppard. All performed except for Radiohead and Jackson. Susanna Hoffs introduced the Zombies and I was surprised at how many of their songs I liked. Brian May introduced Def Leppard and said that when Freddy passed, Joe Elliott was the first person to call him. The guys can still rock, I was a fan after their first album in 1977 but have never seen them live. Great finale, Def Leppard were joined by May, Ian Hunter and some that were inducted for a rousing version of All the Young Dudes. It’s always a good day when you get your Mott the Hoople on.

I really enjoyed the Zombies and I had never considered May one of the great guitarist that I have seen, and that was a mistake. Ian Hunter has to be 70 but the guy can still bring it. And no matter what age she is, Susanna Hoffs is still smoking hot.

Hunter will be 80 in about a month.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I caught a bit of the Zombies the other night. I liked them in the day, and still do, but I couldn't help but see them as a bit of a lounge act, albeit an interesting one.

I've been hoping to catch the Roxy induction and hear them. Now THAT is a group--though thinking of some of Brian Ferry's solo stuff, his presence, his demeanor, and some of his later music, he strayed a bit too closely to that lounge act scene himself.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 R&R HOF Inductees

venturalakersfan wrote:

Well deserved honor for Def Leppard. People only really know them off of their 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' and post-Hysteria days, but man did these boys rock in their youth. High 'n Dry still ranks as one of my favorite albums by any band.

Got lucky enough to meet them a few years back and they couldn't have been any nicer. Great band and great guys.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

What has 9 arms and still sucks?

I kid I kid. Def Leppard, great band.

Love me some Stevie Nicks too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
How the heck did Todd Rundgren and MC5 not get in? They were on the ballot this year. Madness!

What do we think of New Order? Depeche Mode? Whitney Houston? Pat Benatar? I've already mentioned on other threads that I can't believe Toto hasn't gotten in. And here's another: The Spinners.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:

I do too, but she was already in as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Why is she in as a solo artist? She has, what, 2 hits as a solo artist? Maybe a couple more if you count duets, but her solo resume doesn't seem to be Hall-worthy to me.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject:

who's the new generation R&R now?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

What do we think of New Order? Depeche Mode? Whitney Houston? Pat Benatar? I've already mentioned on other threads that I can't believe Toto hasn't gotten in. And here's another: The Spinners.

T. Rex, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Joe Cocker, etc etc it's a joke.

How about John Coltrane? Yeah, he is a jazz musician. But Miles Davis is in. Coltrane had an equal crossover impact. Plus, LL (bleep) Cool J is on the ballot seemingly every year.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Joe Co(c)ker got censored
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

I do too, but she was already in as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Why is she in as a solo artist? She has, what, 2 hits as a solo artist? Maybe a couple more if you count duets, but her solo resume doesn't seem to be Hall-worthy to me.

A) There are many who have been inducted more than once, with the incredible Eric Clapton receiving the honors three times--though why he gets one for his short tenure with the Yardbirds and Neil Young doesn't for his contribution to CSN&Y seems a bit Republican.

B) (From Wiki) "Her debut album, Bella Donna, reached #1 on the US Billboard 200 album chart and is also her best-selling album in the U.S. Six of her eight studio albums reached the U.S. Top Ten. She has sold a certified 10,500,000 albums in the US alone and approximately 30 million records worldwide." She had four top ten singles and eight top 20. I'm guessing that beats the Zombies all the way around--though i'm not taking anything away from the Zombies.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

It's been over 40 years since his death and Gram Parsons still isn't in.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Really enjoyed The Cure's performance. It was disappointing Janet didn't perform,.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Recorded it...

Then watched the only bands I cared about: the Zombies, the Cure and Roxy Music, it was good seeing all of them!

But Robert Smith needs a major make-over and weight loss. What might have looked cool (lipstick, eyeliner and messed-up hair) looks goofy when you are 60...

And Susana Hoffs looked pretty awesome, considering her age...Skip to 2:47 to see the sexiest eyes EVER!

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

But Robert Smith needs a major make-over and weight loss. What might have looked cool (lipstick, eyeliner and messed-up hair) looks goofy when you are 60...

And Susana Hoffs looked pretty awesome, considering her age...Skip to 2:47 to see the sexiest eyes EVER!

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Nah, that's just Robert Smith. He wll probably die with make up and stuff
He ain't changing after all those years
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

T. Rex, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Joe (bleep), etc etc it's a joke.

How about John Coltrane? Yeah, he is a jazz musician. But Miles Davis is in. Coltrane had an equal crossover impact. Plus, LL (bleep) Cool J is on the ballot seemingly every year.

When I read these posts, it struck me that the HoF has actually done a pretty good job of filling the holes over the last decade or so. There used to be a lot more head scratchers than there are now. Of the names listed in these posts, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are the most questionable omissions. I'm a fan of King Crimson, but they were a fringe band. Ditto for Todd Rundgren, though he was a helluva producer. New Order and Depeche Mode were after my time. I guess Whitney and Benatar should be in.

The omissions just ain't what they used to be. back when bands like Black Sabbath, Yes, Chicago, and Rush were missing.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

T. Rex, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Joe (bleep), etc etc it's a joke.

When I read these posts, it struck me that the HoF has actually done a pretty good job of filling the holes over the last decade or so. There used to be a lot more head scratchers than there are now. Of the names listed in these posts, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are the most questionable omissions. I'm a fan of King Crimson, but they were a fringe band. Ditto for Todd Rundgren, though he was a helluva producer. New Order and Depeche Mode were after my time. I guess Whitney and Benatar should be in.

The omissions just ain't what they used to be. back when bands like Black Sabbath, Yes, Chicago, and Rush were missing.

I agree that the RRHoF has amended many of their glaring omissions, mostly due to popular demand. I still think it's a shame that those artists waited so long to get in. Disagree on Rundgren and Crimson. Cult artists, yes. Fringe artists? I think that's selling them a bit short. I recall reading about Kurt Cobain once citing KC's "Red" as one of his favorite albums, and I can hear their influence on bands like Radiohead, from an experimental and unconventional songwriting standpoint. I think that Yes, Genesis and Crimson are to prog rock what Zeppelin, Sabbath and Deep Purple are to hard rock. They all belong in the hall imo. As far as Rundgren, I think he's an immensely talented songwriter and producer, and a vastly underrated bandleader (on par with Prince and James Brown). He had the hits, as well as the respect of his peers.. check out this clip of John Mellencamp giving the dude some due. Also recall guys like Trent Reznor, Kevin Parker and the late, great Prince speaking highly of him.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I agree that the RRHoF has amended many of their glaring omissions, mostly due to popular demand. I still think it's a shame that those artists waited so long to get in. Disagree on Rundgren and Crimson. Cult artists, yes. Fringe artists? I think that's selling them a bit short. I recall reading about Kurt Cobain once citing KC's "Red" as one of his favorite albums, and I can hear their influence on bands like Radiohead, from an experimental and unconventional songwriting standpoint. I think that Yes, Genesis and Crimson are to prog rock what Zeppelin, Sabbath and Deep Purple are to hard rock. They all belong in the hall imo. As far as Rundgren, I think he's an immensely talented songwriter and producer, and a vastly underrated bandleader (on par with Prince and James Brown). He had the hits, as well as the respect of his peers.. check out this clip of John Mellencamp giving the dude some due. Also recall guys like Trent Reznor, Kevin Parker and the late, great Prince speaking highly of him.

There will always be Bill Mazeroski's in any HOF.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I forgot to add was during the segment where they recognized those who had passed, of course they featured Aretha, and I remember posting the scene she had from The Blues Brothers when she passed away. But what I hadn't realized, and learned from that segment, was the Matt Guitar Murphy also passed away last year. If I'm ever in need of a good laugh, I pull that scene up on YouTube and smile.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
One thing that I forgot to add was during the segment where they recognized those who had passed, of course they featured Aretha, and I remember posting the scene she had from The Blues Brothers when she passed away. But what I hadn't realized, and learned from that segment, was the Matt Guitar Murphy also passed away last year. If I'm ever in need of a good laugh, I pull that scene up on YouTube and smile.

Unfortunately that's the case for most of the film cast.

Aretha, Ray Charles, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, James Brown, Cab Calloway, John Belushi, Donald "Duck" Dunn, John Candy, John Lee Hooker, Carrie Fisher... All gone.

One of my favourites films EVER. Love it.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Recorded it...

Then watched the only bands I cared about: the Zombies, the Cure and Roxy Music, it was good seeing all of them!

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with either King Crimson or Todd Rundgren in the HoF. They both have a better case than The Zombies and are about even with Roxy Music. Still, you're talking about artists that are sometimes cited as influences by more successful artists. King Crimson is a front for Robert Fripp in the same way that Roxy Music is a front for Bryan Ferry. Rundgren is more famous as a celebrity and a producer than for anything that he did himself. When we start talking about The Zombies, Roxy Music, King Crimson, and Todd Rundgren, we really are getting out in the fringes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: