Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
^^^I know that is the rules....I have seen DQ's in person....even at that track (although it was not the winner). I view it like this.....if you, myself, Usain Bolt and my 90 year old neighbor was in a race for a million dollars. Bolt trips up a little and bumps you and I.....we both stumble to different degrees and cant recover, then Bolt flies by my 90 year old neighbor for the win.....then afterwards Bolt is DQ'd and my 90 year old neighbor is declared the winner.

Yeah, you've got to offer up a solution or this just seems pointless.

my solution would be to not auto DQ the horse if it is the winner, and the horse(s) that it impeded do not finish in the 2nd spot. I think they should use human judgement, and I have yet to hear anyone claim that Maximum Security was not clearly the strongest horse that day. There is always human judgement on those calls, and horse slip lanes almost every race.....not to the degree that Maximum Security did which appeared to be over two lanes, but again the track was a mud pit.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
^^^I know that is the rules....I have seen DQ's in person....even at that track (although it was not the winner). I view it like this.....if you, myself, Usain Bolt and my 90 year old neighbor was in a race for a million dollars. Bolt trips up a little and bumps you and I.....we both stumble to different degrees and cant recover, then Bolt flies by my 90 year old neighbor for the win.....then afterwards Bolt is DQ'd and my 90 year old neighbor is declared the winner.

my solution would be to not auto DQ the horse if it is the winner, and the horse(s) that it impeded do not finish in the 2nd spot. I think they should use human judgement, and I have yet to hear anyone claim that Maximum Security was not clearly the strongest horse that day. There is always human judgement on those calls, and horse slip lanes almost every race.....not to the degree that Maximum Security did which appeared to be over two lanes, but again the track was a mud pit.

Ok.

So, let's say Maximum Security was clearly the strongest horse (like your Usain Bolt analogy) but he bumped into other horses and made them fall.

Still the winner in your eyes?

What would be the actual punishment then if not an automatic DQ. Just tell them don't do it again?

What would be the actual determent?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

I will also say this....shouldn't everyone be a little suspicious that it took the stewards over 20 minutes to make a decision. 3 people in a small room with 6 camera angles...and less that 30 second interviews via phone with the 3 jockey's involved. Afterwards. a legal statement is released, and the stewards refuse to answer any questions. I know at races I have seen in the past when the stewards have to make a decision, it has always been within minutes....you stare at the poll with the finishing order for a few minutes until it says final results, then everyone tears up their tickets or heads to concourse to collect. Horse racing is a sport that is all about the old rich guys networks, politics, and shady bs behind the scenes. I would want to see records of everyone those stewards communicated with during that time period via official line and personal devices.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Ok.

So, let's say Maximum Security was clearly the strongest horse (like your Usain Bolt analogy) but he bumped into other horses and made them fall.

What would be the actual punishment then if not an automatic DQ. Just tell them don't do it again?

the analogy does not work exactly because the horses obstructed and barely impeded for a second.....then fell off the pace down the backstretch which suggests that limited obstruction did not prevent them from winning. That is personal judgement.....but what was clear was Country House was not obstructed and still could not win.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I will also say this....shouldn't everyone be a little suspicious that it took the stewards over 20 minutes to make a decision. 3 people in a small room with 6 camera angles...and less that 30 second interviews via phone with the 3 jockey's involved. Afterwards. a legal statement is released, and the stewards refuse to answer any questions. I know at races I have seen in the past when the stewards have to make a decision, it has always been within minutes....you stare at the poll with the finishing order for a few minutes until it says final results, then everyone tears up their tickets or heads to concourse to collect. Horse racing is a sport that is all about the old rich guys networks, politics, and shady bs behind the scenes. I would want to see records of everyone those stewards communicated with during that time period via official line and personal devices.

How can you be suspicious but also not disagree with the decision at the same time?

adkindo wrote:
I disagree with the outcome, not the decision.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Ok.

the analogy does not work exactly because the horses obstructed and barely impeded for a second.....then fell off the pace down the backstretch which suggests that limited obstruction did not prevent them from winning. That is personal judgement.....but what was clear was Country House was not obstructed and still could not win.

But if you're saying Maximum Security was clearly the strongest horse in the field on that day, then any chance they had to win would be taken away by a bump.

What you're asking for is that on any DQ, the winner should be determined by a judgment call.

That's just opening up a can of worms. What happens if the DQ happens early in the race? What do you do then?

What happens if the strongest horse in the race is the one that is bumped and falls down and finishes last? Can you declare that horse the winner based on what you see?

But think about this, you're already suspicious of their judgment of whether Maximum Security should have been DQ'd, yet you're also advocating that they should determine the winner by another judgment call.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

How can you be suspicious but also not disagree with the decision at the same time?

adkindo wrote:
I disagree with the outcome, not the decision.

because I agree that the decision can be justified by the rules on the book....and I am always suspicious at what takes place behind the scenes in sports like horse racing and Nascar.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
But if you're saying Maximum Security was clearly the strongest horse in the field on that day, then any chance they had to win would be taken away by a bump.

What you're asking for is that on any DQ, the winner should be determined by a judgment call.

That's just opening up a can of worms. What happens if the DQ happens early in the race? What do you do then?

What happens if the strongest horse in the race is the one that is bumped and falls down and finishes last? Can you declare that horse the winner based on what you see?

I feel like we are going around in circles at this point....so let me state my full position. In horse racing, stewards often make judgement calls that do not follow the letter of the rule....because just like a football ref can call holding on every single play....horses slip lanes to a degree in every race with a turn. In this race, Maximum Security's infraction was not slight, I admit, but in my judgement that infraction is not why Max Security won the race. It was also the opinion on the telecast of everyone that provided opinion during the 24 minute delay.

I am not saying just pick the strongest horse to win the race.....but if the horse that wins the race appears to have been the strongest, and the infraction did not appear to cost the horses that were obstructed the win....the win should stand. Maybe you disagree with my judgement, but War of Will (finished 7th) & Long Range Toddy (16th) were the horses that were impeded, and neither showed the strength down the final stretch to suggest either could have won the race. If I felt that Maximum Security significantly obstructed Country House or Code of Honor, then I may feel different.

In regards to my skepticism about the decision, it is only in regards to why it took so long, and the reputation of the sport. I just think there should be a review to make sure everything was on the up and up. They do not need a consensus to make a decision.....the 3 stewards do not even have to discuss and debate with each other. The process is simple....speak to jockey's, review evidence and decide. It can be 3-0 or 2-1....it does not matter. Why did a process that usually takes 3-5 minutes take 24 minutes? I do not feel that is unreasonable. I had no money on the race....and wanted Win Win Win to be the winner.....but I admit I was a little partial towards Max Security because of his strong race @ Hallandale Beach.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

I feel like we are going around in circles at this point....so let me state my full position. In horse racing, stewards often make judgement calls that do not follow the letter of the rule....because just like a football ref can call holding on every single play....horses slip lanes to a degree in every race with a turn. In this race, Maximum Security's infraction was not slight, I admit, but in my judgement that infraction is not why Max Security won the race. It was also the opinion on the telecast of everyone that provided opinion during the 24 minute delay.

I am not saying just pick the strongest horse to win the race.....but if the horse that wins the race appears to have been the strongest, and the infraction did not appear to cost the horses that were obstructed the win....the win should stand. Maybe you disagree with my judgement, but War of Will (finished 7th) & Long Range Toddy (16th) were the horses that were impeded, and neither showed the strength down the final stretch to suggest either could have won the race. If I felt that Maximum Security significantly obstructed Country House or Code of Honor, then I may feel different.

In regards to my skepticism about the decision, it is only in regards to why it took so long, and the reputation of the sport. I just think there should be a review to make sure everything was on the up and up. They do not need a consensus to make a decision.....the 3 stewards do not even have to discuss and debate with each other. The process is simple....speak to jockey's, review evidence and decide. It can be 3-0 or 2-1....it does not matter. Why did a process that usually takes 3-5 minutes take 24 minutes? I do not feel that is unreasonable. I had no money on the race....and wanted Win Win Win to be the winner.....but I admit I was a little partial towards Max Security because of his strong race @ Hallandale Beach.

Here's what I'm saying - there are 2 calls:

1) DQ - is a judgment call
2) winner - is not a judgment call

What you're saying is, you want the winner to also be a judgment call. I'm saying that opens up a whole can of worms.

The whole point of sports is that you determine the winner on the field. People have a problem with determining the winner via a judgment call.

DQ is a judgment call. But you can't determine winners via a judgment call.

Look at boxing. Look how controversial that is.

Honestly, you might not even get the outcome you expected. For all we know, they could have ended up ruling the 5th place horse the winner yesterday. You just don't want to go to that.

The only acceptable solution is to make DQ a judgment call but the winner is just whichever horse finishes 2nd.

At least you take the judgment aspect out of it. You don't want to introduce more judgment into the equation.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

^^^^the winner is already a 100% judgement call when it is a direct result of a DQ.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^^the winner is already a 100% judgement call when it is a direct result of a DQ.

But you are wanting to add more judgment into it.

Basically, you can have a winner that doesn't even finish 1st or 2nd with your proposition.

You can have a situation where the strongest horse (like Usain Bolt) is tripped up and finishes last but is determined that had the horse not been tripped up, it would have finished first.

Think about it, if Maximum Security was the one interfered with yesterday and had finished 4th or something, by your ruling, he should have been declared the winner because he was the strongest in the field.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

^^^yeah, we just disagree. I do not see this one advancing to an agreement.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Watching THIS I'm thankful no horse went down. If War of Will had gone down there would have been carnage never witnessed in the history of the Derby or any other horse race. He was leading a pack of (I don't know how many horses ) in the 2019 derby. Those trailing would have had a difficult time trying to stop or change course on that muddy track. The horse racing Gods were watching over this contest.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Watching THIS I'm thankful no horse went down. If War of Will had gone down there would have been carnage never witnessed in the history of the Derby or any other horse race. He was leading a pack of (I don't know how many horses ) in the 2019 derby. Those trailing would have had a difficult time trying to stop or change course on that muddy track. The horse racing Gods were watching over this contest.

The truth is I do enjoy horse racing....or at least I am fascinated by the animals. I have been to the Kentucky Horse Park, Claiborne Farm, and tracks like Churchill Downs and Keeneland. Everything on the surface is very beautiful and majestic befitting of its claim to be the "sport of kings".

All that said, under the surface for anyone that takes the time to look, the sport is disgusting, sad, and probably should go the way of dog racing and cease to exist. That will never happen because is controlled and loved by global wealth. Everything from the sickening hell jockey's must go through to loading up those beautiful animals with so much steroids that their legs struggle to remain unbroken carrying so much additional muscle/weight. If you have never been around a racing thoroughbred, they are massive creatures.....nothing like the Tennessee Walker on your great uncles farm. Also they are shredded muscle throughout all the way down to the top of their legs....then you have these much too thin lower legs supporting it all. It is not natural.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The truth is I do enjoy horse racing....or at least I am fascinated by the animals. I have been to the Kentucky Horse Park, Claiborne Farm, and tracks like Churchill Downs and Keeneland. Everything on the surface is very beautiful and majestic befitting of its claim to be the "sport of kings".

All that said, under the surface for anyone that takes the time to look, the sport is disgusting, sad, and probably should go the way of dog racing and cease to exist. That will never happen because is controlled and loved by global wealth. Everything from the sickening hell jockey's must go through to loading up those beautiful animals with so much steroids that their legs struggle to remain unbroken carrying so much additional muscle/weight. If you have never been around a racing thoroughbred, they are massive creatures.....nothing like the Tennessee Walker on your great uncles farm. Also they are shredded muscle throughout all the way down to the top of their legs....then you have these much too thin lower legs supporting it all. It is not natural.

Not sure if the story has been a National one, but are you aware of the controversy regarding Santa Anita?

23 Thoroughbred Deaths Force Santa Anita To Change. Will The Racing Industry Follow?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not sure if the story has been a National one, but are you aware of the controversy regarding Santa Anita?

23 Thoroughbred Deaths Force Santa Anita To Change. Will The Racing Industry Follow?

Just at the headline level until I read that article. I recall a female that was the roommate of my ex wife at UK, and she wanted to become a large animal vet to work in the industry. After a summer internship, she changed her major or focus because she explained how it is a very lucrative career, but you are servicing rich and powerful people that get what they want from you, or they will not use your service. Then she said what they want is tons on steroids and other unhealthy drugs to get their horses on the track when they were not 100%, and run faster than nature meant for them to run. She said she would never be able to do it, thus she would probably struggle or be limited to livestock services. At the time, she claimed there was very little oversight on how much large animal vets ordered of these drugs.

Also, the life of a jockey usually involves more broken bones than you can count....dentures by your late 20's (due to the vomit acid eating away your teeth as you are constantly forced to stick your finger down your throat), hours and hours in a sweatbox, and a short life because of early organ failure. Adult men at not meant to be that small and that light. HBO did a disturbing documentary on it over a decade ago called "Jockey". Here is an article from then summarizing it...

https://www.today.com/popculture/hbo-documentary-shows-grueling-demands-being-jockey-wbna4808489
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Derby champ Country House out of Preakness

Quote:
There won't be a Triple Crown winner in 2019.

Bill Mott, the trainer of Kentucky Derby winner Country House, told the Daily Racing Form that the horse will not race in the Preakness Stakes because he has become ill.

LINK

I am about 60% confident this illness is mostly bs. Country House did not plan on racing in the Preakness before his surprising win at the Derby. It has been a trend for years that most of the Derby horses do not compete in the Preakness because of the quick turnaround. Also, Country House's trainer said right after the Derby the only reason they would go to the Preakness is because of public pressure. If they thought they could win @ Preakness, the money of a Triple Crown winner once finished racing is too much to pass up on. They know they were likely not winning @ Preakness.

Hopefully we will get both Country House and Maximum Security @ Belmont.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

I'm not a horse racing enthusiast. On the rare occasions I go to a track I pick horses by the one who looks like it wants to run. One the jockey has to hold back the most on the parade to the gates.

Jockeys have a tough job. I've been on a horse, racing a friend. The dirt kicked up in my face was horrible. I understand why jockeys wear goggles. Horses have to feel the same thing when they're behind.

Racing is a spectators sport. Participants catch hell.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm not a horse racing enthusiast. On the rare occasions I go to a track I pick horses by the one who looks like it wants to run. One the jockey has to hold back the most on the parade to the gates.

Jockeys have a tough job. I've been on a horse, racing a friend. The dirt kicked up in my face was horrible. I understand why jockeys wear goggles. Horses have to feel the same thing when they're behind.

Racing is a spectators sport. Participants catch hell.

not sure how anyone stays on a horse to race....I feel like I am about to fall off anytime there is a simple incline or decline in the path....if they try to trot, I slow them down
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I love when innocent stereotypes play out....I listen to a daily WV Sports (mostly WVU) radio show via podcast. They were discussing the race, and several callers were confused because in Nascar, blocking is the goal. One person even rolled out the quote "rubbin is racing".
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I love when innocent stereotypes play out....I listen to a daily WV Sports (mostly WVU) radio show via podcast. They were discussing the race, and several callers were confused because in Nascar, blocking is the goal. One person even rolled out the quote "rubbin is racing".

Robert Duvall in Days Of Thunder, baby!

I'm getting off on a tangent here, but I have always loved horses. They are just remarkably beautiful creatures to me, majestic animals. And especially racehorses, as others have noted; they have this muscular physique supported by these tiny leg bones, and they are running all souped up around the track for our enjoyment, essentially. I wasn't even alive then, and I still get chills if I go to YouTube and watch Secretariat's performance in the Belmont in '73. "He is moving like a tremendous machine!" is one of the great calls ever in sports, and it's one of the great feats in the history of athletics, as far as I'm concerned.

Horse racing has broken my heart a few times, too. I remember Go For Wand breaking down in the 1990 Breeders Cup Distaff while coming down the stretch in an epic duel with Bayakoa. I was watching it live, and I cried, having not yet turned 14. (I didn't realize it then, but it's not lost on me now that Ruffian suffered fatal injuries on the same Belmont Park track, and that Go For Wand likely suffered the leg fracture at the same time that she passed the flagpole next to where Ruffian is buried.) I also remember cursing out Mike Smith for the horrible trip in Zenyatta's final race that ruined her perfect record. Just couldn't believe he waited so long to ask her to go. Still pisses me off to this day.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BALTIMORE -- Maximum Security owner Gary West has issued a multimillion-dollar challenge to the owners of four horses that benefited from his horse's historic disqualification in the Kentucky Derby.

In a statement Friday, West said he would pay each of those owners $5 million if Country House, War of Will, Long Range Toddy or Bodexpress finishes ahead of Maximum Security in the next race against him through the end of the year.

West offered an alternate possibility of a $1.86 million wager -- the winner's share for the Kentucky Derby.

Owner: West wrong to 'deflect' Derby DQ blame
Maximum Security crossed the finish line first in the Derby on May 4 but was disqualified for interference and placed 17th. Country House, who finished second, was elevated to first, War of Will from eighth to seventh, Bodexpress from 14th to 13th and Long Range Toddy from 17th to 16th.

http://www.espn.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/26769265/dqd-owner-offers-5m-challenge-derby-foes

Quote:
Maximum Security owner challenges four Kentucky Derby contenders to $20 million rematch

Maximum Security owner Gary West is throwing down the gauntlet and says he will put $20 million of his own money up to challenge four other Kentucky Derby horses, including controversial winner Country House, to another race before the end of 2019.

In the aftermath of his horse's disqualification from the Derby earlier this month, West is challenging Country House, War of Will, Long Range Toddy and Bodexpress.

His statement said he would pay up if any of those horses, offered $5 million each from the $20 million pot, finished ahead of Maximum Security in a race before Jan. 1, 2020. Owners who take West up on his unique challenge would be asked to wager $5 million of their own money to pay if Maximum Security finishes ahead of their horse.

No restrictions on the race – from location to distance to track surface – were set in West's statement.

He isn't asking the four horses to finish first in the race, either. West's offer is based on head-to-head results against Maximum Security.

The challenge also doesn't require the five horses to run in the same race. The four challenges could come in four separate races, he said.

In the statement released Friday afternoon, West said his challenge had nothing to do with the disqualification, which he has challenged in court. Instead, he said he hopes to generate additional interest in the sport, which has been in the spotlight in recent weeks following the unprecedented disqualification.

“Most experts agree that Maximum Security was the best horse in the Kentucky Derby,” West said the statement. “I don’t care to discuss the controversy surrounding the events of the race and the disqualification of my horse at this time, but I firmly believe I have the best 3-year-old in the country and I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is.”

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/2019/05/17/kentucky-derby-rematch-maximum-security-owner-gary-west-challenge-country-house/3708304002/

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

many are getting mad at West for not letting this go....but in all honesty, he is doing the sport a huge favor for Belmont Stakes. A lot of people are going to tune in to see these horses go at it one more time. It will be even better if War of Will can win Preakness.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
many are getting mad at West for not letting this go....but in all honesty, he is doing the sport a huge favor for Belmont Stakes. A lot of people are going to tune in to see these horses go at it one more time. It will be even better if War of Will can win Preakness.

I think if he would have ran his horse for the last 2 legs and won, that would have created even more of a story.

The first triple crown winner denied by DQ
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Horse Deaths at Santa Anita and Pimlico: Same Day, Same Track Owner

Quote:
Two horses died at racetracks owned by the Stronach Group on Friday, keeping the issue of animal safety in horse racing in the public eye on the eve of one of the biggest days in horse racing.

At Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on Friday, the day before the track would host the 144th running of the Preakness Stakes, the second race of the Triple Crown series, a 3-year-old filly named Congrats Gal died soon after pulling up and finishing last in the nine-horse field in the Miss Preakness Stakes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/sports/horse-death-santa-anita-pimlico-.html

The problem is you will likely have to stumble upon this story....or find it on the subpages of most sports media sites. Three year old horses are not supposed to fall over and die. Even less coverage will be given to the necropsy reports when they are released....and they will probably say something in regards to heart failure, and elude to a possible genetic condition. It likely will not mention the higher probability that the horse has had drugs pumped into into it since a few months after birth which lead to the heart failure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: