Live in California? I hope you haven't been drinking the water
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I drink bottled water, but I should probably test our water. Would love any recommendations on a good water test and/or any filter info from those who have researched all this.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

reverse osmosis for me plus multiple filters.
only way to go.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Was this research funded by the water filtration industry? Haha.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

^Study is from the "Environmental Working Group" or EWG.ORG

Text of the report / methodology of how they arrived at 15,000 cases:
https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12940-019-0475-5
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

16,500 divided by 40,000,000 is 0.0004125 increased chance, given a population of 40 million in California.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I drink bottled water, but I should probably test our water. Would love any recommendations on a good water test and/or any filter info from those who have researched all this.

I'll double check with my brother who did the actual test/installation.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Abstract

Arsenic contamination of drinking water is a serious threat to the health of hundreds of millions of people worldwide. In the United States ~3 million individuals drink well water that contains arsenic levels above the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) maximum contaminant level (MCL) of 10 μg/L. Several technologies are available to remove arsenic from well water including anion exchange, adsorptive media and reverse osmosis. In addition, bottled water is an alternative to drinking well water contaminated with arsenic. However, there are several drawbacks associated with these approaches including relatively high cost and, in the case of bottled water, the generation of plastic waste. In this study, we tested the ability of five tabletop water pitcher filters to remove arsenic from drinking water. We report that only one tabletop water pitcher filter tested, ZeroWater®, reduced the arsenic concentration, both As3+ and As5+, from 1000 μg/L to < 3 μg/L, well below the MCL. Moreover, the amount of total dissolved solids or competing ions did not affect the ability of the ZeroWater® filter to remove arsenic below the MCL. Thus, the ZeroWater® pitcher filter is a cost effective and short-term solution to remove arsenic from drinking water and its use reduces plastic waste associated with bottled water.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. So I guess I should buy a ZeroWater pitcher assuming this study wasn't funded by them lol
mykolbeta
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I’ve never drank the tap water here.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

Do Brita water filters actually get rid of all the arsenic?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Do Brita water filters actually get rid of all the arsenic?

Not according to:

ribeye wrote:
Abstract

Arsenic contamination of drinking water is a serious threat to the health of hundreds of millions of people worldwide. In the United States ~3 million individuals drink well water that contains arsenic levels above the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) maximum contaminant level (MCL) of 10 μg/L. Several technologies are available to remove arsenic from well water including anion exchange, adsorptive media and reverse osmosis. In addition, bottled water is an alternative to drinking well water contaminated with arsenic. However, there are several drawbacks associated with these approaches including relatively high cost and, in the case of bottled water, the generation of plastic waste. In this study, we tested the ability of five tabletop water pitcher filters to remove arsenic from drinking water. We report that only one tabletop water pitcher filter tested, ZeroWater®, reduced the arsenic concentration, both As3+ and As5+, from 1000 μg/L to < 3 μg/L, well below the MCL. Moreover, the amount of total dissolved solids or competing ions did not affect the ability of the ZeroWater® filter to remove arsenic below the MCL. Thus, the ZeroWater® pitcher filter is a cost effective and short-term solution to remove arsenic from drinking water and its use reduces plastic waste associated with bottled water.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Ive been using my refrigerator filter which I know isnt nearly enough. On my to-do list is to look into a cheap to install/maintain whole house filtration system.

Same. They dont seem to be too expensive. Like around $2K plus installation for a good one.

Anyone have one they can recommend?

Ive seen some much cheaper than $2K.
google "cheap DIY whole house filter"
what im still trying to figure out is if there's a way to install a RO system directly behind a refrigerator so I can still use my fridge water and ice dispenser instead of having a drinking water faucet installed at my kitchen sink
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

If I recall correctly the filters that connect to a fridge are called inline water filters. They're like 30 bucks. You simply disconnect the water tube from the fridge. Connect it to the inline filter, then with a new tube from filter to fridge. It acts as a pre filter to the built in fridge filter.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I have a Halo 5 and recommend them to all of you...

http://www.halowater.com/
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

cheapedy wrote:
If I recall correctly the filters that connect to a fridge are called inline water filters. They're like 30 bucks. You simply disconnect the water tube from the fridge. Connect it to the inline filter, then with a new tube from filter to fridge. It acts as a pre filter to the built in fridge filter.

ok cool... does it filter out stuff the in fridge filter cant?
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Amazon has a large variety of inline filters. Usually the more expensive ones block out more stuff. The inexpensive ones mostly chlorine, odor, taste.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
cheapedy wrote:

ok cool... does it filter out stuff the in fridge filter cant?

It prevents the filter in the fridge from being plugged. Typically that is much harder to change. I rigged my own fridge in the garage and put in two inline filters. Hopefully I will never need to replace the interior filter.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

I’ll check them out. What was the cost for parts and labor if you don’t sharing?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Why would anyone want to drink anything that runs through old rusted pipes. If you haven't re-plumbed how old are your pipes?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I’ll check them out. What was the cost for parts and labor if you don’t sharing?

It was about $4k, but you can buy a Halo 5 at Fergusons for about $1300 and have it installed. The best thing about the Halo 5 (besides great tasting water) is that you do NOT have to do anything to the unit, every 10 years or so, you will need to replace the inside filtering elements, but that should be under $500, so they cost of use is seemingly low. And the Halo does NOT remove the healthy minerals, like Reverse Osmosis (which I previously used and loved for nearly 10 years).
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
I got Crypto from the Vegas water in 93 and have been drinking bottled water since

There was a cryptosporidium outbreak that same year in Milwaukee that killed dozens of people. That's no joke. Remember seeing about it on Modern Marvels. It's usually caused by sewage or animal waste runoff. In Milwaukee, their intake pipe in Lake Michigan was exactly the same length and in the downstream current of a treatment water exit pipe. The crypto oocysts (eggs) are too small for sand to capture them, so they go right thru. Their taxpayers footed the bill for state of the art ozone equipment, etc. They always go overkill only after people have already died from the city/county/state/nation's negligence.

edit - found that segment:

Remember another case in one of the areas near LA that had to pay for a giant remediation plant to facilitate a 3-4 step process to get a fuel additive out of the city's water. It's some sh they put in fuel to simulate or reduce the presence of lead in gas and it (the additive) turned out to be no less insidious and lasting because it doesn't biodegrade. Therefore, all of the city's water needs to be treated continuously for decades before all of the additive is broken down. Iirc, the sh is such that the best that can be done to it is to break it down into less harmful constituent parts. They can't even remove it completely.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

It was about $4k, but you can buy a Halo 5 at Fergusons for about $1300 and have it installed. The best thing about the Halo 5 (besides great tasting water) is that you do NOT have to do anything to the unit, every 10 years or so, you will need to replace the inside filtering elements, but that should be under $500, so they cost of use is seemingly low. And the Halo does NOT remove the healthy minerals, like Reverse Osmosis (which I previously used and loved for nearly 10 years).

Thanks. Better drinking water aside, I really want a filtration systems to eliminate that eventual clogging that happens at every outlet. Did yours clear up after installing?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Thanks. Better drinking water aside, I really want a filtration systems to eliminate that eventual clogging that happens at every outlet. Did yours clear up after installing?

If you piping is new, then yeah, no problem, but the Halo claims to dissolve scale build-up in your pipes, which it does slowly over time, so I have to open each nozzle periodically and dump the scale out to restore full water flow. But I don't mind do it as - descaling my pipes is a good thing...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Why would anyone want to drink anything that runs through old rusted pipes. If you haven't re-plumbed how old are your pipes?

Considering how many miles of pipes water has to run thru to get to your residence, I would bet somewhere along the chain there are still 100 year old pipes in the system.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Considering how many miles of pipes water has to run thru to get to your residence, I would bet somewhere along the chain there are still 100 year old pipes in the system.

Rust is good for you, you get your daily intake of iron.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LA still has some transite pipes which are partially composed of asbestos. I drilled through one on the West end years ago.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: