Marvel Cinematic Universe - Discussion (Spider-man No Way Home 12/17) đź•·
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
The Thanos character is much more compelling, unhinged than the relatively subdued Josh Brolin delivery.

Thanos

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
spoilers endgame
I think someone said that even with the stones he couldn't just create extra resources. Thanos was a zealot. wanted to go further than half and eliminate virtually all life in endgame. it seems he thought the well was already poisoned and the universe could only be saved by a hard reset. he sacrificed gamora probably the person he was closest with, made more complicated cause even though his daughters feel an attachment towards him and vice versa, he killed Gamora's family and sadistically tortured nebula. they're petrified of where his megalomania will lead, even nebula says thanos wont let her change. i think josh brolin does a good job and thanos is pretty interesting in his singular focus and dispassionate ways towards things outside his mission, well until endgame. he was fine imo as the foil of the big badass for the avengers banding together to bea
-truncated-

So if I understand correctly, the Russos are saying that basically Thanos didn't double the resources in the universe because he thought the trauma of killing half the people in the universe would... teach them a lesson or something so they don't do that again. If you double the number of resources, then people will just squabble over those again. You know, I actually buy that. I mean it's obviously illogical and unhinged, but it's unhinged in an emotionally plausible way given how his home planet failed.

I'm pretty satisfied. I still wouldn't call him one of the greatest villains ever (imo the best villains make you reconsider your worldview/ actions or at the least provides a foil to the hero), but he makes emotional sense to me which goes a long way.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ani007 wrote:
spoilers endgame
I think someone said that even with the stones he couldn't just create extra resources. Thanos was a zealot. wanted to go further than half and eliminate virtually all life in endgame. it seems he thought the well was already poisoned and the universe could only be saved by a hard reset. he sacrificed gamora probably the person he was closest with, made more complicated cause even though his daughters feel an attachment towards him and vice versa, he killed Gamora's family and sadistically tortured nebula. they're petrified of where his megalomania will lead, even nebula says thanos wont let her change. i think josh brolin does a good job and thanos is pretty interesting in his singular focus and dispassionate ways towards things outside his mission, well until endgame. he was fine imo as the foil of the big badass for the avengers banding together to bea
-truncated-

So if I understand correctly, the Russos are saying that basically Thanos didn't double the resources in the universe because he thought the trauma of killing half the people in the universe would... teach them a lesson or something so they don't do that again. If you double the number of resources, then people will just squabble over those again. You know, I actually buy that. I mean it's obviously illogical and unhinged, but it's unhinged in an emotionally plausible way given how his home planet failed.

I'm pretty satisfied. I still wouldn't call him one of the greatest villains ever (imo the best villains make you reconsider your worldview/ actions or at the least provides a foil to the hero), but he makes emotional sense to me which goes a long way.

in endgame he want even more zealot wanting to go from destroying half to all and then creating new life without memories of the past genocide...almost like the night king in GOT but i think Thanos planned to create new life but if successful he would have destroyed the memory of the universe and reshaped it in his image...like an evolution rewind i guess...reverse big bang to big bang? he would have effectively made himself a god. looking forward to GOTG featuring thor lol looks like they were trying to track past timeline gamora
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
tox wrote:
ani007 wrote:
spoilers endgame
-truncated-

in endgame he want even more zealot wanting to go from destroying half to all and then creating new life without memories of the past genocide...almost like the night king in GOT but i think Thanos planned to create new life but if successful he would have destroyed the memory of the universe and reshaped it in his image...like an evolution rewind i guess...reverse big bang to big bang? he would have effectively made himself a god. looking forward to GOTG featuring thor lol looks like they were trying to track past timeline gamora

Yeah, in light of what the Russo brothers said about Thanos's motivation, it also makes more sense that he decides to just destroy the universe. It fits with his mental state pretty well.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

Has anyone watched this at the Universal City IMAX yet? I haven't been there in years but thought it would be worth the trip for a re-watch.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Has anyone watched this at the Universal City IMAX yet? I haven't been there in years but thought it would be worth the trip for a re-watch.

Very worth it in IMAX.

Saw this movie twice now, first time in IMAX second time in a regular theater and the last battle was much much much more noticeably epic in IMAX. The scale made it feel like I was there for a moment.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ani007 wrote:
tox wrote:
ani007 wrote:
spoilers endgame
-truncated-

Yeah, in light of what the Russo brothers said about Thanos's motivation, it also makes more sense that he decides to just destroy the universe. It fits with his mental state pretty well.

Thanos is the archetypal abusive father: all the pain he creates is "for your own good." We'll thank him later, he assumes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

It crossed the $2.1 billion mark this weekend, just 11 days after its release. Already more than the entire run of Infinity War. It "only" has to garner another $600MM to pass Avatar as the highest-grossing film of all time.

Which it will do. In short order.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Very worth it in IMAX.

Saw this movie twice now, first time in IMAX second time in a regular theater and the last battle was much much much more noticeably epic in IMAX. The scale made it feel like I was there for a moment.

I went friday night and it was incredible in IMAX. Thinking about making that the new movie spot since it's not too far from work.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

HisAirness24 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Wow!

11 years wow!

People nitpicking plots here and there that’s fine, but that stuff personally isn’t important to me. This movie’s meaning was deeper, it was the perfect ending to all those movies before it.

When Iron Man came out in 2008, I took a girl out I had met just 2 weeks prior to see that movie with me.

Fast forward 11 years and 22 movies later, I’m now married to her with 2 kids and we’ve watched all 22 movies together.

What a crazy ride.

Thank you Marvel. Your movies will always be a part of our life.

https://twitter.com/mcuhollnd/status/1121759187577577473?s=21

That's amazing stuff man!

It really has been a great ride. Salute to them, they have become a large fabric of our culture and it's been great seeing it from start to finish.

Need a Marvel streaming channel so I can just watch everything...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Spoiler.. Kind of wish Drax would've had a hand in killing Thanos, given their history and Drax's quest to avenge the murder of his family. There was some unexplored catharsis there. Drax was pivotal to the Guardians films, but was rarely used in these last two Avengers flicks. But as I stated previously, some story arcs will be sacrificed in these mega ensemble productions. Can't complain about how they handled Stark's final sequence though, he really did deserve to bring it all to a close.

It's like having a mega band with all the best electric guitarists on one song at a concert. Only so many solos to go around!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
The cheers that Spider-Man got shows that the MCU is going to continue to be a powerhouse with him alone. Add GOTG3 with Thor we have some more quality movies to come.

They need to let the universe calm down for a bit otherwise they're gonna get caught in a cycle of having to keep raising the stakes. I think the "break" will be a good thing and then we get X-Men and/or FF in 6+ years.

I sort of miss the mundane and smaller in scope matters that the other movies dealt with. Obviously the End Game was the penultimate plan, but I kind of liked Spider-Man dealing with his local issue, and Iron Man having to deal with human adversaries, Thor's family issues, etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Thanos has to be the absolute best villain ever to grace the movie screen. I love that his character is much deeper than "I want to rule the world!" His battle scenes are pretty damn amazing.

You might want to expand your movie watching genres a smidge...

Karate Kid 1 homie.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Spoiler.. Kind of wish Drax would've had a hand in killing Thanos, given their history and Drax's quest to avenge the murder of his family. There was some unexplored catharsis there. Drax was pivotal to the Guardians films, but was rarely used in these last two Avengers flicks. But as I stated previously, some story arcs will be sacrificed in these mega ensemble productions. Can't complain about how they handled Stark's final sequence though, he really did deserve to bring it all to a close.

It's like having a mega band with all the best electric guitarists on one song at a concert. Only so many solos to go around!

Yup, and just like the fans that attend those concerts, we are going to nitpick lol
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Thanos has to be the absolute best villain ever to grace the movie screen. I love that his character is much deeper than "I want to rule the world!" His battle scenes are pretty damn amazing.

You might want to expand your movie watching genres a smidge...

Karate Kid 1 homie.

There is no greater movie character than Sato from part 2.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
HisAirness24 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Wow!

11 years wow!

People nitpicking plots here and there that’s fine, but that stuff personally isn’t important to me. This movie’s meaning was deeper, it was the perfect ending to all those movies before it.

When Iron Man came out in 2008, I took a girl out I had met just 2 weeks prior to see that movie with me.

Fast forward 11 years and 22 movies later, I’m now married to her with 2 kids and we’ve watched all 22 movies together.

What a crazy ride.

Thank you Marvel. Your movies will always be a part of our life.

https://twitter.com/mcuhollnd/status/1121759187577577473?s=21

That's amazing stuff man!

It really has been a great ride. Salute to them, they have become a large fabric of our culture and it's been great seeing it from start to finish.

Need a Marvel streaming channel so I can just watch everything...

Disney Plus - starting November 12th.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
The cheers that Spider-Man got shows that the MCU is going to continue to be a powerhouse with him alone. Add GOTG3 with Thor we have some more quality movies to come.

They need to let the universe calm down for a bit otherwise they're gonna get caught in a cycle of having to keep raising the stakes. I think the "break" will be a good thing and then we get X-Men and/or FF in 6+ years.

I sort of miss the mundane and smaller in scope matters that the other movies dealt with. Obviously the End Game was the penultimate plan, but I kind of liked Spider-Man dealing with his local issue, and Iron Man having to deal with human adversaries, Thor's family issues, etc.

Yeah, when the threat seems semi-realistic it's often times more interesting.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

It took nearly everything in me to keep from cheering like game 7 in 2010 when Cap 1v1ed Thanos with Mjolnir.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

I liked it, although it "read" like chapter 22 of a 22 chapter book. Once the time plot was reveled, it was mostly just tying up loose ends and giving everyone their happy or at least heroic ending.

The girl power moment in the big fight was a little annoying. Couldn't they give them a classy acknowledgement that wasn't a group selfie during a battle with thousands on each side? Oh, well, I'm not the intended audience for that...
VTECkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

So did Strange See that their only chance of winning, was for “A RAT” to release antman.... without “THE RAT” there would be no endgame
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject:

VTECkilla wrote:
So did Strange See that their only chance of winning, was for “A RAT” to release antman.... without “THE RAT” there would be no endgame

Obviously he did. Took the rat over 5 years.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject:

VTECkilla wrote:

No.

One of the biggest problems when people ask this question is they cannot get passed the 1 in 14 million possibilities, as if they are too focused on that specific number that it makes everything linear.

It’s not.

Strange “ONLY” saw 14 million possibilities.

They overlook the basic concept that 14 million is only a speck of dirt compared to all the infinite possibilities that exist. There are much more than just 14 million possibilities out there, Strange was only able to see a little fraction, just 14 million out of practically infinite possibilities. So there could definitely be more than just 1 possibility. Who’s to say if Strange had looked at possibility #14,000,001 that that scenario would’ve also guaranteed success? So now you have 2 possibilities, etc., etc.

When you finally see that concept, the answers are much clearer.

Strange looking into the future is not him predicting every single detail that would happen. He’s not there hoping that Steve Rogers would have to shave his beard at exactly 5:44.03 pm on a Sunday on the 4th of June for everything he saw to work out, etc. So I doubt he ever saw the Rat.

What Strange saw was simple, he saw 1 out of countless other successful possibilities he could’ve seen if he had looked longer, but that 1 possibility that he did see Thanos being defeated was that Iron Man was there.

Remember in the ship when Strange got abducted, before he looked into the future, he told Tony that he will never surrender the Eyes of Agamoto:

”If it comes to saving you, or the kid, or the Time Stone, I will not hesitate to let either of you die.”

You can then say that most of the 14 million possibilities that Strange looked at most likely involved himself not surrendering the stone. All that possibilities ended up with Thanos killing Iron Man in the process and every single one ending in failure with Thanos managing to still get the stone from Strange at the end of the day..

It wasn’t until Strange started looking at different possibilities like what if he had surrendered the stone to save a comrade that his visions of the future started lasting longer and longer until he finally saw that 1 possibility that Thanos was defeated because Iron Man had lived. From then on Strange knew that Tony had to live for at least 1 of those possibilities he saw can come to fruition. Strange had no idea that what he did would ultimately end up working, but one thing he knew for 100% certainty was that Tony had to survive to greatly increase the chances that the possibility of them winning may happen.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
After watching the movie, I now have questions regarding a future show on Disney+. How is WandaVision going to work? Vision didn't come back, and the stone will be destroyed. Is the prevailing thought that Wakanda will 'fix' him so he isn't tied to stone any longer like they were trying to do in IW? And after seeing the end of her arc, I'm not sure how invested I will be in seeing an origin/stand alone Black Widow movie.

Is it the end of her arc? Bruce did say he tried his best to bring her back. Maybe she’s wandering around on Virmire or something. Wouldn’t shock me if they brought her back.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Huskers wrote:
After watching the movie, I now have questions regarding a future show on Disney+. How is WandaVision going to work? Vision didn't come back, and the stone will be destroyed. Is the prevailing thought that Wakanda will 'fix' him so he isn't tied to stone any longer like they were trying to do in IW? And after seeing the end of her arc, I'm not sure how invested I will be in seeing an origin/stand alone Black Widow movie.

Is it the end of her arc? Bruce did say he tried his best to bring her back. Maybe she’s wandering around on Virmire or something. Wouldn’t shock me if they brought her back.

Up until the very end, I thought Cap was going to meet up with his former archenemy Red Skull and swap places with her. They should have let Hawkeye sacrifice himself. It made no sense to the MCU to kill off the Widow before her solo movie unless ScarJo told them one more movie and she was done.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

The girl power moment in the big fight was a little annoying. Couldn't they give them a classy acknowledgement that wasn't a group selfie during a battle with thousands on each side? Oh, well, I'm not the intended audience for that...

My thought about that scene exactly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12
Jump to: