STAPLES - The LG Recommendations File to Awaken Lakersnation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: STAPLES - The LG Recommendations File to Awaken Lakersnation

We all know that it’s all bout the game. You put a talented team out there with high energy and lead by a mile. You can kick back and revel in victories.

However, you cannot deny that when our team is down, a lively crowd can do wonders. Beyond the tried and true defense chants, pregame intros, and halftime sponsored events, what would you do to turn the tempo on at cold and sleepy Staples when circumstances call for it?

What have been your experiences at other sporting venues that have proven to be effective when needing the crowd to energize and rally behind teams that need it? I’m hoping we can measure up to other crowds, as home court is something we need to start leveraging again.

If you had a direct line to decision makers, what would you ask as an upgrade to your live experience for Lakers game time at Staples? A new announcer? A decent DJ? Ice Cube as your Master of Ceremonies? Strippers and coke?

Nothing is out of bounds... have at it.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Just have the fans sing like the Liverpool fans did today (and at every game). That seems to work.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Hard to do since Jeannie caters the game day experience to the people that sit courtside
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

>keep the lights on during starting lineup intros. I've always hated that teams fell for turning the lights off. Pre-game festivities are ridiculous, especially at other arenas. It reminds me of a circus except without the delights of elephants running amok

>decrease ticket prices significantly. Unrealistic, yes, but the amount of noise made is tied to who can afford to get into the games. The loudest sporting event I've ever attended was, by far, a Staples Center jumbotron screening of game 5 of the 2001 Finals (LA @ PHI). Admission was free.

>provide free beer for sections 119, 101, and 102 (the sections behind the benches and most visible on TV) and reserve them for members of Lakers ultras: rabbles of hyper-masculine morons who do nothing but create ruckus and hostility towards visiting players and factions. They sing, jump, and chant throughout the entire game, they make it feel like the whole place might break out into a riot at any moment. examples:

big up to birmingham

>re-emphasize the Lakers band as the principal music provider for the arena.

>install a few hundred signal jammers and several payphones. Anyone who needs to make communications with the outside world can use a landline in the concourse. Anyone taking selfies will be dragged into the Clippers locker room to be tortured and beaten to death

now you've got yourself a sporting event
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
>keep the lights on during starting lineup intros. I've always hated that teams fell for turning the lights off. Pre-game festivities are ridiculous, especially at other arenas. It reminds me of a circus except without the delights of elephants running amok

>decrease ticket prices significantly. Unrealistic, yes, but the amount of noise made is tied to who can afford to get into the games. The loudest sporting event I've ever attended was, by far, a Staples Center jumbotron screening of game 5 of the 2001 Finals (LA @ PHI). Admission was free.

>provide free beer for sections 119, 101, and 102 (the sections behind the benches and most visible on TV) and reserve them for members of Lakers ultras: rabbles of hyper-masculine morons who do nothing but create ruckus and hostility towards visiting players and factions. They sing, jump, and chant throughout the entire game, they make it feel like the whole place might break out into a riot at any moment. examples:

big up to birmingham

>re-emphasize the Lakers band as the principal music provider for the arena.

>install a few hundred signal jammers and several payphones. Anyone who needs to make communications with the outside world can use a landline in the concourse. Anyone taking selfies will be dragged into the Clippers locker room to be tortured and beaten to death

now you've got yourself a sporting event

You're hired!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Start every game 30 minutes late and fix the game clock so people always think there is at least 15 minutes to be played -- that way they will actually be in their seats, rather than coming late or leaving early to beat the traffic.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Host some game during the postseason.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Just have the fans sing like the Liverpool fans did today (and at every game). That seems to work.

Hiring Klopp as a coach, even though he's a football manager, would be an enormous step in the right direction.

He's tall enough... maybe he knows basketball from his childhood days.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

A better PA announcer. Sorry but LT’s voice puts me to sleep. More exciting pregame intro. The curtain thing is boring.

There’s a lot wrong with our home games. Even when we were good during the Kobe/Pau era the crowd sucked .. Idk what happened we had a good crowd during the Shaq and Kobe era.

Since then I can count maybe 2 games when we had a truly great crowd... Game 7 vs Boston and Kobe’s last game.. it’s a shame tbh. Whenever we were in the playoffs the other team’s crowd always made ours sound dead af. Sometimes I feel like LA doesn’t deserve this team
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I actually don’t even think it’s an LA thing, just a Laker thing. Because even the Clippers have a great playoff atmosphere. Entire crowd wearing red and blue and full of energy.. sigh..
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
A better PA announcer. Sorry but LT’s voice puts me to sleep. More exciting pregame intro. The curtain thing is boring.

There’s a lot wrong with our home games. Even when we were good during the Kobe/Pau era the crowd sucked .. Idk what happened we had a good crowd during the Shaq and Kobe era.

Since then I can count maybe 2 games when we had a truly great crowd... Game 7 vs Boston and Kobe’s last game.. it’s a shame tbh. Whenever we were in the playoffs the other team’s crowd always made ours sound dead af. Sometimes I feel like LA doesn’t deserve this team

Part of it might be the "Lights Out" experience that Dr. Buss longed from the ol' Forum days, which was to put more of a focus on the court. They introduced this back on Oct 31, 2006. Too bad it takes a Finals Game 7 and Kobe's final game to wake up the crowd. Still, 2000's crowd was a frenzy compared to 2010.

Staples WCF 2000

Staples Finals 2010 Game 7
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Part of it might be the "Lights Out" experience that Dr. Buss longed from the ol' Forum days, which was to put more of a focus on the court. They introduced this back on Oct 31, 2006. Too bad it takes a Finals Game 7 and Kobe's final game to wake up the crowd. Still, 2000's crowd was a frenzy compared to 2010.

Staples WCF 2000

Look at that beautiful atmosphere in 2000.. Whenever I look back at those teams it just reminds me that we’ve pretty much fallen off. Team and crowd. Lakers ain’t what it used to be.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Staples WCF 2000

Look at that beautiful atmosphere in 2000.. Whenever I look back at those teams it just reminds me that we’ve pretty much fallen off. Team and crowd. Lakers ain’t what it used to be.

Can't afford tickets. You can get a pair of tickets to the Charlotte Hornets game or League pass for the year. 2 games for a family of 4 would pay for braces for one of the kids.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
LKA wrote:
K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Staples WCF 2000

Can't afford tickets. You can get a pair of tickets to the Charlotte Hornets game or League pass for the year. 2 games for a family of 4 would pay for braces for one of the kids.

Yeah it sucks. That’s why we drive to Phoenix instead
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
A better PA announcer.

There isn't one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I’m a St. Louis Cardinals fan and all it took was for something to happen on the field.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Staples WCF 2000

To be honest, it's probably that ABC turns down the crowd noise compared to NBC, which I absolutely hate. You can still tell in the second video that there was a pretty good din at Staples for Game 7 of that world championship.

To answer the OP's question, the only real way to get the crowd hyped is to not only have a really good team, but an exciting team that plays good D and looks to run on just about every possession. Lowering ticket prices would also help because it would allow real fans to fill the arena, instead of those yuppies who go to games because it's the cool thing to do and not because they're real fans.

Anything else, like getting a new PA announcer or turning on the lights in the stands, would be just worthless window dressing.

I've always wished that our fans had the edge and a bit of the venom that fans have in NYC.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Not bad... and respect the feedback.

One easy thing to do to start the season as a realistic ask with little impact: keep the lights on.

I know it was a vision of the Great Dr Buss for the theatrical lighting, but the visuals of the crowd on tv and their reactions is a loud message that this is Lakersnation ... this is how loud we are, and it would set a standard for whomever attends our games that you are no longer allowed to sit on your hands in our house. You have a reputation to uphold from whistle to whistle. We have a superstar again, and if you want more superstars, all of us in attendance need to earn them.

We are actors in our own right in affecting the visiting team. They need to respect us and be intimidated by us.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LKA wrote:
K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Staples WCF 2000

To be honest, it's probably that ABC turns down the crowd noise compared to NBC, which I absolutely hate. You can still tell in the second video that there was a pretty good din at Staples for Game 7 of that world championship.

To answer the OP's question, the only real way to get the crowd hyped is to not only have a really good team, but an exciting team that plays good D and looks to run on just about every possession. Lowering ticket prices would also help because it would allow real fans to fill the arena, instead of those yuppies who go to games because it's the cool thing to do and not because they're real fans.

Anything else, like getting a new PA announcer or turning on the lights in the stands, would be just worthless window dressing.

I've always wished that our fans had the edge and a bit of the venom that fans have in NYC.

It’s not just NYC. Literally every team has a better home crowd than us. Boston, Philly, OKC, GSW.. hell the Warriors have been dominant for 4 years and they still have the best crowd. So you can’t come at me with the “we’re so used to winning” excuse.

Portland, Toronto, Denver, Houston.. literally every team’s crowd kills ours especially in playoff time.

Something has to change around here. Fans should be coming to the game ready to have a good time. Ready to cheer and yell. It’s a sporting event for christ sake. I do think a new PA announcer and better intros would help. Our building never comes out electric from the start. Unless it’s game 7 or Kobe’s last game. It’s ridiculous!! It shouldn’t take a close game at the end of the 4th with 2 mins left for the crowd to be loud and engaged. Literally every single regular season game sounds like an empty gym in the first 3 quarters. It’s dumb. I’m tired of it.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Not bad... and respect the feedback.

One easy thing to do to start the season as a realistic ask with little impact: keep the lights on.

I know it was a vision of the Great Dr Buss for the theatrical lighting, but the visuals of the crowd on tv and their reactions is a loud message that this is Lakersnation ... this is how loud we are, and it would set a standard for whomever attends our games that you are no longer allowed to sit on your hands in our house. You have a reputation to uphold from whistle to whistle. We have a superstar again, and if you want more superstars, all of us in attendance need to earn them.

We are actors in our own right in affecting the visiting team. They need to respect us and be intimidated by us.

I think you guys are putting too much into this lighting thing. Many arenas have gone to a darker arena and still loud as ever. That’s not the root cause.

Imo in order the problem is
1. Too many Rich celebrities and pretentious instagram models
2. Boring pregame intros
3. Boring PA announcer
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Slap fans who don't cheer
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LKA wrote:
K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Staples WCF 2000

It’s not just NYC. Literally every team has a better home crowd than us. Boston, Philly, OKC, GSW.. hell the Warriors have been dominant for 4 years and they still have the best crowd. So you can’t come at me with the “we’re so used to winning” excuse.

Portland, Toronto, Denver, Houston.. literally every team’s crowd kills ours especially in playoff time.

Something has to change around here. Fans should be coming to the game ready to have a good time. Ready to cheer and yell. It’s a sporting event for christ sake. I do think a new PA announcer and better intros would help. Our building never comes out electric from the start. Unless it’s game 7 or Kobe’s last game. It’s ridiculous!! It shouldn’t take a close game at the end of the 4th with 2 mins left for the crowd to be loud and engaged. Literally every single regular season game sounds like an empty gym in the first 3 quarters. It’s dumb. I’m tired of it.

The reason that other cities like Portland, Toronto, Denver, and Houston have better crowds than us is that they're not spoiled like us. Those places (except maybe Portland) suck during the wintertime and there's nothing to be happy about, not to mention that their teams have never won that much.

Meanwhile, our sports teams have won many championships, and during the winter, its 65 degrees and (usually) sunny, we've got the beach, mountains, Hollywood, hot blond chicks, lots of culture, lots of economic opportunity, etc.

We're just as hard to please as New Yorkers, but we have a different mentality. We need something to get us excited, because sports means something else here than it does back East. We're a bunch of laid back hippies and surfers, and Dr. Buss understood this and got our city stoked about the Lakers through building a winning team that played fast break basketball and selling sex appeal.

The sex appeal and Hollywood stuff won't work in this day and age, but the winning championships while playing fast break basketball part will work. A new PA announcer may get people a little hyped at first, but by Christmas people will either forget we have a new one or they just won't care anymore.

Keep the main thing the main thing and give your customers, I mean your fans what they really want.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

I have never been in Staples. My wish is to watch Lakers at least one in my life. But the atmosphere in Staples in past 5-6 season is really bad. You can see it on TV easily. I think this doesn't have anything to do with the tickets , LT or anything else. Fans are just not feeling the players in the way they should and this is the biggest problem. If you do not feel that the players are giving 100% every single night you will just feel lazy. I know this because I watch basketball here in Europe a lot. It is the same everywhere. Players have to show their commitment on the court and fans will react.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject:

A lot of people will probably shrug it off like it’s not a big deal

But I disagree. A good crowd can fire the players up and help win games.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject:

problem with Lakers games is for the people in the lower bowl for the most part they arent there for the game they are there to be seen or for an experience. The majority of them spend the night trying to get the best selfie.

Lakers crowds can get rowdy if there is actually something to cheer about I was there for Kobe's last game and that atmosphere was electric
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: